PDA

View Full Version : You've got to be kidding me

The_Philster
01-28-2006, 04:30 AM
Seattle’s 12th man irks A&M
Texas A&M officials are hot over what athletic director Bill Byrne termed Seattle's "brazen use of the 12th Man theme" in his Wednesday Internet column.
A&M, whose own 12th Man tradition dates back to 1922, holds two trademark registrations on "12th Man." Secured in 1990 and 1996, the trademarks include entertainment services, "namely organizing and conducting intercollegiate sporting events," and products, such as caps, T-shirts, novelty buttons and jewelry. more (http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/13732821.htm)

ddaryl
01-28-2006, 05:27 AM
The only good thing to ever come out of Texas was an empty bus

Go Seahawks

ICE74129
01-28-2006, 08:44 AM
I hope the seahawks, Bears and Bills unite and fight this. Fuggin GROW UP! God I hate TexASS. I can't wait until my revamped sooners walk across the red river and beat ass on the 'defending champions' This October! Tuck Fexas

Scumbag College
01-28-2006, 08:54 AM
I think the whole raising the 12th man flag is kinda hokey. Is Texas A&M owning the 12th man trademark like Pat Riley owning "Threepeat?"

That Guy
01-28-2006, 09:54 AM
The 12th Man is sorta like Texas A&M's thing.

Seattle pushing it like this has been kinda lame anyways.

Michael82
01-28-2006, 10:27 AM
I can't believe the Bills backed down. That's lame. We've always been known as the 12th man. Hell, we are on the wall of fame and there is nothing that Texas A&M can do about that. :mad:

OpIv37
01-28-2006, 11:54 AM
Seattle’s 12th man irks A&M
Texas A&M officials are hot over what athletic director Bill Byrne termed Seattle's "brazen use of the 12th Man theme" in his Wednesday Internet column.
A&M, whose own 12th Man tradition dates back to 1922, holds two trademark registrations on "12th Man." Secured in 1990 and 1996, the trademarks include entertainment services, "namely organizing and conducting intercollegiate sporting events," and products, such as caps, T-shirts, novelty buttons and jewelry. more (http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/13732821.htm)

They trademarked "12th man" and the government let them? Why don't I just trademark the word "the"? That way, every time someone uses it I get massive royalties. The choices are to either pay out the ass to use my word, or restructure the whole language so it's not necessary. Good luck with that, suckers.

lynobx
01-28-2006, 12:38 PM
I'm always amazed that common words and phrases are allowed to be trademarked, service marked or copyrighted.

The practice - particularly in cases like the the "12th Man," which is widely used by many teams at many levels - would seem almost unenforceable if someone would stand up and fight it in court.

G. Host
01-28-2006, 12:46 PM
I'm always amazed that common words and phrases are allowed to be trademarked, service marked or copyrighted.

The practice - particularly in cases like the the "12th Man," which is widely used by many teams at many levels - would seem almost unenforceable if someone would stand up and fight it in court.

It is only unenforceable if you have more money than person claiming copyright or are willing to go through courts for years and are lucky. Microsoft copyrighted "Internet Explorer" despite another company already having copyright (their original name was "Internet Exploder"). For years they tried "cease and desist" orders trying to bankrupt the other company but finally they gave up and bought out the rights from the other company.

tat2dmike77
01-28-2006, 02:16 PM
The only good thing to ever come out of Texas was an empty bus

Go Seahawks

I disagree there are alot of good looking woman and shiner beer. Those are the only good things to come out of texas.

So basically load up a bus with shiner beer and some hot texas ladies and then nuke the whole state. Making sure that Jerry Jones is home in texas and the bomb is dropped directly on his house and or the room he is in at the time.

AndreReed83
01-28-2006, 06:29 PM
This doesn't really surprise me. You could draw someone's blood who has an undiscovered disease, patent the blood, and force that person to keep giving blood the rest of his/her life. No joke.

ublinkwescore
01-28-2006, 09:03 PM
They trademarked "12th man" and the government let them? Why don't I just trademark the word "the"? That way, every time someone uses it I get massive royalties. The choices are to either pay out the ass to use my word, or restructure the whole language so it's not necessary. Good luck with that, suckers.

I'll just start using thee word thee *****...

ublinkwescore
01-28-2006, 09:05 PM
Did you guys know that some college kid started the website www.pepsi.com, and Pepsi cola bought it off him for like 10 million?

I think maybe I'll do that.

Throne Logic
01-28-2006, 10:26 PM

OK, that's friggin' scary. I was thinking this exact thing just prior to reading your post. I with you, man.

Notice, I didn't once use the word, "the", oh dammit. . .

tat2dmike77
01-28-2006, 10:37 PM
I'm going to patten the alphabit so your all screwed. All letters will be mine and then everyone will have to pay me royalties.

superbills
01-28-2006, 11:44 PM
Did you guys know that some college kid started the website www.pepsi.com, and Pepsi cola bought it off him for like 10 million?

I think maybe I'll do that.

That's illegal now. It's called "Cybersquatting" and the courts will either force you to give up the rights to a registered trademark domain (or any recognizable derivative, e.g. microsfy.com) or fine you for trademark infringement. They changed this after companies complained about people profiting from their trademarks.

ddaryl
01-29-2006, 02:03 AM
I disagree there are alot of good looking woman and shiner beer. Those are the only good things to come out of texas.

So basically load up a bus with shiner beer and some hot texas ladies and then nuke the whole state. Making sure that Jerry Jones is home in texas and the bomb is dropped directly on his house and or the room he is in at the time.

On one condition, all the extreme right wing cuties get shipped back in to Texas, and forced to remain in hell.

The beer can come out though... The only bad beer in no beer

ICE74129
01-29-2006, 08:03 AM
That's illegal now. It's called "Cybersquatting" and the courts will either force you to give up the rights to a registered trademark domain (or any recognizable derivative, e.g. microsfy.com) or fine you for trademark infringement. They changed this after companies complained about people profiting from their trademarks.

Exactly. What really started the uproar was some punk kid registered domains for damn near every top sports figure in the world. The courts put an end to it. Best part is, he got over 25K from warren Sapp before the decision :roflmao:

kgun12
01-29-2006, 08:30 AM
I say you get everyone in Buffalo, Seattle and Chicago to overload the Texas A&M web site, telling them how stupid this really is! Like I did.

Bill Byrne
Director of Athletics

http://www.aggieathletics.com/feature.php?type=1&SID=

Michael82
01-29-2006, 08:55 AM
I say you get everyone in Buffalo, Seattle and Chicago to overload the Texas A&M web site, telling them how stupid this really is! Like I did.

Bill Byrne
Director of Athletics

Great idea. Also, make sure you tell them that we will proudly call ourselves the 12th man forever and that our name is on the Bills wall of Fame FOREVER as the 12th man. :mad:

DraftBoy
01-29-2006, 10:29 AM
This has to be the stupid idea Ive ever seen and Im not reffering to the Aggies side of it. Those of you that are pissed that the Aggies are irked by this need to grow up. The 12th man has been an Aggie tradition for long before any other NFL franchise choose to go that route. They had it first and in College Football it means a hell of alot more than in NFL football. Traidtion is everything in college it is nothing in the NFL. Just give it up and grow up its not a big deal. The Bills did the right thing by backing down. The Hawks will too, bc they do not want to go to court over this.

Michael82
01-29-2006, 10:41 AM
This has to be the stupid idea Ive ever seen and Im not reffering to the Aggies side of it. Those of you that are pissed that the Aggies are irked by this need to grow up. The 12th man has been an Aggie tradition for long before any other NFL franchise choose to go that route. They had it first and in College Football it means a hell of alot more than in NFL football. Traidtion is everything in college it is nothing in the NFL. Just give it up and grow up its not a big deal. The Bills did the right thing by backing down. The Hawks will too, bc they do not want to go to court over this.
what gives a college team the right to claim "12th man" as their own? I have heard soo many teams use it and have heard ESPN and other Sports networks/mags using it too. :::

DraftBoy
01-29-2006, 10:45 AM
what gives a college team the right to claim "12th man" as their own? I have heard soo many teams use it and have heard ESPN and other Sports networks/mags using it too. :::

the same right that gives a pro team like the Bills the right to claim it, or do we believe in double standards? Its kinda like patenting an invention, they patented this first, so they deserve its not like they are patenting a common word like Op like to insinuate, as we all know Paris Hilton tried that in 05 and was unsuccessful.

kgun12
01-29-2006, 10:49 AM

This is what I said to them " I understand and respect your tradition and would never do anything to tarnish the great honor of being call a 12th man. Texas A & M has a proud tradition with the 12th man and I will do everything to continue that tradition. I feel that the fans of Buffalo, Seattle and Chicago feel as I do and would do nothing to soil the great reputation A&M has in reference to the title 12th man. It would seem to me that A & M would be honored that other teams in other cities would want to start and carry on this great tradition. These cities are not taking any profits from the school nor are they trying to disrespect it. Please reconsider keeping this honor all to yourself!"

Draftboy I don't think That is stupid and I still think everyone should email them as long as they do it with respect.

Michael82
01-29-2006, 10:53 AM
This is what I said to them " I understand and respect your tradition and would never do anything to tarnish the great honor of being call a 12th man. Texas A & M has a proud tradition with the 12th man and I will do everything to continue that tradition. I feel that the fans of Buffalo, Seattle and Chicago feel as I do and would do nothing to soil the great reputation A&M has in reference to the title 12th man. It would seem to me that A & M would be honored that other teams in other cities would want to start and carry on this great tradition. These cities are not taking any profits from the school nor are they trying to disrespect it. Please reconsider keeping this honor all to yourself!"

Draftboy I don't think That is stupid and I still think everyone should email them as long as they do it with respect.
Great post! :bf1:

The_Philster
01-29-2006, 11:01 AM
the same right that gives a pro team like the Bills the right to claim it, or do we believe in double standards? Its kinda like patenting an invention, they patented this first, so they deserve its not like they are patenting a common word like Op like to insinuate, as we all know Paris Hilton tried that in 05 and was unsuccessful.
I've yet to see any pro team claim they patented anything like that :::

DraftBoy
01-29-2006, 11:08 AM
I've yet to see any pro team claim they patented anything like that :::

Can you show me where I said they did? Or would you rather twist my words to perfectly fit your argument.

The_Philster
01-29-2006, 11:10 AM
Can you show me where I said they did? Or would you rather twist my words to perfectly fit your argument.

the same right that gives a pro team like the Bills the right to claim it, or do we believe in double standards?

DraftBoy
01-29-2006, 11:13 AM

Does Seattle not produce t-shirts that say 12th man on them? So they do receive profits, and this is not about profits or what not. This is not real-world sense to it either. This is a college football program that has this one thing. College football is all tradition, Red-River Shootout, Old Fashioned Hate, South Oldest Rivalry, and Biggest Outdoor Cocktail Party in the World. To try and take away a college programs traidition which for some of these programs is all they have and esp for these players who arent getting payed to be there (well not like physical money per game but the argument could be made they are bc of the free schooling). Yes some of the players take money and are corrupt but the majority are not. These fans are also die hard fans, they are their college team first and any other team second. So this is the biggest thing in the world to them, and nobody can sit here and tell me it means that much to them as a Bills fan. Texas A&M did it first and apparently has the rights to it, so Im really not sure where all the disdain is coming from.

DraftBoy
01-29-2006, 11:15 AM
Once again for the 2nd time can you please show me where I gave a direct example of a pro team having the same situation, it is not in my control where your own mind takes my words. So unless you have a specific example with team names, and dates please post them, if not then just drop it.......

Here Ill help you out...I didnt say anything like that. Thanks tho!

DraftBoy
01-29-2006, 11:16 AM
Also Mikey was the one saying the Bills had the right to the 12th man name, so dont try and tell me that I was using the Bills as my example of a team, I was simply providing a different point of view to his own example. By saying he was against a college team doing it but had no issue with a pro team (for example: Bills) doing it. Solely bc he was a fan of the team ( <---- Assumption).

The_Philster
01-29-2006, 11:19 AM
Once again for the 2nd time can you please show me where I gave a direct example of a pro team having the same situation, it is not in my control where your own mind takes my words. So unless you have a specific example with team names, and dates please post them, if not then just drop it.......

Here Ill help you out...I didnt say anything like that. Thanks tho!
never said you did...but
the same right that gives a pro team like the Bills the right to claim it, or do we believe in double standards? no one ever claimed the Bills or the Seahawks or anyone else had that right nor have they been so presumptious and egotistical as to think something like "The 12th man" was something only for them. Why don't we patent the wave or something...so that no one can use it without paying us a royalty..that's how ridiculous it is

Michael82
01-29-2006, 11:24 AM
Also Mikey was the one saying the Bills had the right to the 12th man name, so dont try and tell me that I was using the Bills as my example of a team, I was simply providing a different point of view to his own example. By saying he was against a college team doing it but had no issue with a pro team (for example: Bills) doing it. Solely bc he was a fan of the team ( <---- Assumption).
I'm saying that all teams, college AND Pro should have the right to call their fans whatever they want. Texas A&M should be proud that everyone else is carrying on the tradition.

Michael82
01-29-2006, 11:26 AM
never said you did...but no one ever claimed the Bills or the Seahawks or anyone else had that right nor have they been so presumptious and egotistical as to think something like "The 12th man" was something only for them. Why don't we patent the wave or something...so that no one can use it without paying us a royalty..that's how ridiculous it is
That's exactly my point. If it's their tradition, FINE! You shouldn't bar/ban other schools or teams from doing it. That's bull****.

The_Philster
01-29-2006, 11:26 AM
pot-kettle-black

I'm saying that all teams, college AND Pro should have the right to call their fans whatever they want. Texas A&M should be proud that everyone else is carrying on the tradition.

kgun12
01-29-2006, 12:41 PM
Does Seattle not produce t-shirts that say 12th man on them? So they do receive profits, and this is not about profits or what not. This is not real-world sense to it either. This is a college football program that has this one thing. College football is all tradition, Red-River Shootout, Old Fashioned Hate, South Oldest Rivalry, and Biggest Outdoor Cocktail Party in the World. To try and take away a college programs traidition which for some of these programs is all they have and esp for these players who arent getting payed to be there (well not like physical money per game but the argument could be made they are bc of the free schooling). Yes some of the players take money and are corrupt but the majority are not. These fans are also die hard fans, they are their college team first and any other team second. So this is the biggest thing in the world to them, and nobody can sit here and tell me it means that much to them as a Bills fan. Texas A&M did it first and apparently has the rights to it, so Im really not sure where all the disdain is coming from.

I don't believe your arguement holds any water. They can keep there tradition all they want. I just think it's pettie of them to worry what other people are doing. Yes Seattle is selling 12th man shirts, so what, it isn't taking any money away from A & M. I just don't think many fans in Seattle or people of the other cities are standing at the store going, well do I buy the Texas A&M 12th man shirt or the Seattle 12th man shirt.
Also maybe there isn't a trademark on it, but to me it's like the first team to call their pregame parking lot fun "tailgating" going after the rest of the country for calling theirs the same thing. Or Florida state going after the Atlanta Braves for using the Indian chant! Sorry I just think A&M is being very shallow and if that's all they have to hold on to, then I feel sorry for them.

The_Philster
01-29-2006, 12:43 PM
Let's put a patent on tailgating!! :idea:

Michael82
01-29-2006, 02:01 PM
I don't believe your arguement holds any water. They can keep there tradition all they want. I just think it's pettie of them to worry what other people are doing. Yes Seattle is selling 12th man shirts, so what, it isn't taking any money away from A & M. I just don't think many fans in Seattle or people of the other cities are standing at the store going, well do I buy the Texas A&M 12th man shirt or the Seattle 12th man shirt.
Also maybe there isn't a trademark on it, but to me it's like the first team to call their pregame parking lot fun "tailgating" going after the rest of the country for calling theirs the same thing. Or Florida state going after the Atlanta Braves for using the Indian chant! Sorry I just think A&M is being very shallow and if that's all they have to hold on to, then I feel sorry for them.
How about the Bills logo? Stripey is EVERYWHERE!

Or how about the Shout song? We should put a patent on that. Too many people use it and that's not right. :D

DaBills
01-29-2006, 03:39 PM
I'm going back to the original premise – that this whole thing is effing stupid. It’s bad enough the NFL won't let anyone say "Super Bowl" without an email from their lawyers – they have to say the 'Big Game’ or some other incarnation, but the 12th man? Yikes.

Forget traditions, maybe college should realize they’re the NFL’s minor-league farm system ***** and lighten up.

What’s next? USC claiming they came up with 'huddle?’ Or ‘sack?’

If so, Drew Bledose better hurry up and file: Sack™

G. Host
01-29-2006, 04:06 PM

Bill Byrne
Director of Athletics

Need to come up with a snppy logo for Texas A & M as in Texas Ass & Moron.

billsfan0404
01-29-2006, 05:29 PM
The 12th man thing started with a legend that A&M was running out of players b/c of injury or whatever and a student came out of the stands and suited up and played with the team. I don't know if they won the game, if not the story has probably changed so they did and it looks more glorious. Anyway there's some truth to it, but I don't know if they got down to only 10 guys.
It's just a tradition the aggies have for being loyal to their school and teams. It's dumb that they would get so upset for pro teams using it, or that it would have taken them until now to figure out that pro teams used the phrase. then again, it is the aggies!

Michael82
01-30-2006, 09:32 AM
Screw the Aggies! :mad:

ublinkwescore
01-30-2006, 02:02 PM

You can't tell me that this crap doesn't have the word frivolous written all over it.

Texas A&M's athletics department is probably in trouble, and they're just trying to garner some more capital to help it out through this action...

I think the NFL should just refuse to draft any players from Texas A&M (or at least not offer them any thing more than minimum compensation) - we'll see who's got the most leverage real quick.

ublinkwescore
01-30-2006, 02:03 PM
Paris Hilton is trash.

Trash that I'd :hump: and then spit on when I finished prematurely you know whating.

The_Philster
01-30-2006, 02:07 PM
This week, the Seattle Seahawks are gearing up for the franchise’s first Super Bowl appearance ever.
Unfortunately, the Pittsburgh Steelers aren’t the only opponent on the docket for the Seahawks. Administrators at Texas A&M University are considering suing the Seahawks organization for using their trademark of the 12th Man moniker. more (http://www.asuherald.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/01/30/43de609c8ee67)

During the 1980s, the Kingdome was the loudest stadium in the National Football League. So the Seahawks retired the number 12 in 1984 to honor their fans. This was six years before Texas A&M filed a registered trademark of the 12th Man name! Six years!

Michael82
01-30-2006, 02:42 PM
This week, the Seattle Seahawks are gearing up for the franchise’s first Super Bowl appearance ever.
Unfortunately, the Pittsburgh Steelers aren’t the only opponent on the docket for the Seahawks. Administrators at Texas A&M University are considering suing the Seahawks organization for using their trademark of the 12th Man moniker. more (http://www.asuherald.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/01/30/43de609c8ee67)
Wow....They retired "12th man" 6 years before the Aggies trademarked it? Hmmm....

They should have the right to use it all they want then, IMO. This lawsuit would get thrown out of court i bet. Texas A&M is pathetic for going after this.