PDA

View Full Version : Lets lighten up on Mr Wilson!

Mitchy moo
01-28-2006, 08:05 AM
All I have been reading about on this board as of late is how "cheap" Mr. Wilson is and how he was not willing to dish out the money to Bates. Dont you think it is possible that Bates's "character" was not going to fit into the Bills orginization and that Jauron will be involved heavily in the D so dishing out a hefty amount of money would not make much sense.

I am not saying any of this of what I am saying is fact, but I am saying it is a strong possibility that it was not a money issue that alot of people think it is or the type of money situation it is!
<!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_1614527--><!-- THE POST -->

Dr. Lecter
01-28-2006, 08:09 AM
It is also possible that Bates wanted a ridiculous amount of money, as he turned down 1 million from the Rams.

Mitchy moo
01-28-2006, 09:04 AM
It is possible!

Nighthawk
01-28-2006, 09:24 AM
All I have been reading about on this board as of late is how "cheap" Mr. Wilson is and how he was not willing to dish out the money to Bates. Dont you think it is possible that Bates's "character" was not going to fit into the Bills orginization and that Jauron will be involved heavily in the D so dishing out a hefty amount of money would not make much sense.

I am not saying any of this of what I am saying is fact, but I am saying it is a strong possibility that it was not a money issue that alot of people think it is or the type of money situation it is!
<!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_1614527--><!-- THE POST -->

Skooby, do you ever think before you write? If they were worried about how he would fit in, they WOULDN'T of offered the position to him! Ralph is cheap, get over it...you cannot argue that point and win. He is one of the cheapest owners in the league...period. That being said, let's hope Jauron brings in somebody else who can light a fire under this defense's ass because as of right now, I think we have too many older veterans who just don't go all out, ALL the time.

tonyc37
01-28-2006, 09:54 AM
First of all if you anything about fooball you would know that Bates has had much more success in the NFL than Dick as a DC.Thats why he commands a high price tag.The reason for him not being here is plain and simple money!If you want the best guy for the job you hve to be willing to pay the price.If we are cheap with coaches whats going to happen in free agency.Players around the league know whats going on here and might not want to come here and play.This staff certainly won't be a reason for them to come

Night Train
01-28-2006, 10:08 AM
Bates can sit home and collect 900K+ this year. He's going on 60 and may wish to have more options to chose from next year. He'll still be in demand.

If I had 900K coming to me, I'd be demanding the moon to pull me off the couch. I hold no ill will towards Bates and would be doing the exact same thing. The cheap argument doesn't mean a damn thing in this situation but some people will use any angle to ***** and moan.

Mitchy moo
01-28-2006, 11:29 AM
Bates can sit home and collect 900K+ this year. He's going on 60 and may wish to have more options to chose from next year. He'll still be in demand.

If I had 900K coming to me, I'd be demanding the moon to pull me off the couch. I hold no ill will towards Bates and would be doing the exact same thing. The cheap argument doesn't mean a damn thing in this situation but some people will use any angle to ***** and moan.

We'll, if he signs a 5 yr $1M deal with another team = $5M/5 years. Right now he has $900,000 coming. Which do you choose?

I work = $5M is my answer, isn't this logical?

G. Host
01-28-2006, 11:36 AM
We'll, if he signs a 5 yr $1M deal with another team = $5M/5 years. Right now he has $900,000 coming. Which do you choose?

I work = $5M is my answer, isn't this logical?

Depends. Wait a year and get a 4 yr $2M deal as head coach.
2*$4M+$.9M = $8.9M > $5M

It is just like signing a player to extension. Some like Nate will not and roll the dice (snake eyes!) and try to get a big contract in free agency. Other like McGee will sign the extension and guarenteed money.

OpIv37
01-28-2006, 11:46 AM

It's not just Bates. It's MM, GW, Tom Clements, etc. Ralph has not been willing to pay for top tier coaches and it's one of the reasons (although certainly not the only one) why this team is such a mess. When Ralph has a history of cheaping out on coaches, he's not going to get the benefit of the doubt on Bates.

Also, let's hold Ralph accountable too. Super Bowl 40 is next week and we haven't won one yet. That's 40 chances by my counts. No playoffs in 6 years, no playoff victories in 8 or 9 (I could be mistaken here), no AFC Championships in 12 years. Remember Truman's "The Buck Stops Here"? Winning starts at the top.

Mr. Cynical
01-28-2006, 02:37 PM
It's not just Bates. It's MM, GW, Tom Clements, etc. Ralph has not been willing to pay for top tier coaches and it's one of the reasons (although certainly not the only one) why this team is such a mess. When Ralph has a history of cheaping out on coaches, he's not going to get the benefit of the doubt on Bates.

Also, let's hold Ralph accountable too. Super Bowl 40 is next week and we haven't won one yet. That's 40 chances by my counts. No playoffs in 6 years, no playoff victories in 8 or 9 (I could be mistaken here), no AFC Championships in 12 years. Remember Truman's "The Buck Stops Here"? Winning starts at the top.

I agree, but get ready for the neg party from others.

don137
01-28-2006, 02:44 PM
Wilson can't win though. He has the cheapest tickets in the league yet people complain he is cheap. If he raised ticket prices to the league average he could afford a better coaching staff assuming people would still buy the tickets (that is a strong assumption). We can't have it both ways by having the cheapest tickets in the league so they can sell out the stadium and pay top dollar or even average dollar for a coaching staff.

Mitchy moo
01-28-2006, 03:05 PM
Wilson can't win though. He has the cheapest tickets in the league yet people complain he is cheap. If he raised ticket prices to the league average he could afford a better coaching staff assuming people would still buy the tickets (that is a strong assumption). We can't have it both ways by having the cheapest tickets in the league so they can sell out the stadium and pay top dollar or even average dollar for a coaching staff.

People in WNY do not have the income for a big city price ticket raise, therefore that's not going to work.

G. Host
01-28-2006, 04:02 PM
Even if the Bills had not remodelled stadium and could sell 5000 tickets more per game (doubtful since Bills still need to buy remaining tickets and give them away still giving share to opposing teams) that is less than an additonal $1M a year for them. Economics just do not work for Bills.

I think this is reason for ticket price changes - trying to get more money out of seats which the Bills KNOW will sell and trying to sell tickets they have trouble selling now and often end of paying to fill.

Typ0
01-28-2006, 04:10 PM
the difference maker for the Bills revenue is winning games, merchandising and television revenues.

RW is old...old to the extent that he just isn't sharp enough to provide good ownership to this team at this time. I have remained and will remain "light" about this because I am quite confident he's smart enough to know this. He's been around and he's seen what happens. As a matter of fact, the whole TD debacle was about his desire to not hold the team back and continue to move forward. That's why Levy is such a great hire for him...because he trusts Levy and there probably aren't a lot of guys out there who hold the level of respect RW needs to loosen up the reigns after TD. Additionally, ML is a smart guy and he deserves a shot at what he's trying to do. So why not?

I'm looking forward to seeing what we can do and most of all I'm looking forward to the return of respect for this organization that hasn't been seen since midway through fades tenure here. I think that is critical in bringing in good talent and having everyone work as a team in a way they can achieve new heights.

Typ0
01-28-2006, 04:12 PM
Even if the Bills had not remodelled stadium and could sell 5000 tickets more per game (doubtful since Bills still need to buy remaining tickets and give them away still giving share to opposing teams) that is less than an additonal $1M a year for them. Economics just do not work for Bills.

I think this is reason for ticket price changes - trying to get more money out of seats which the Bills KNOW will sell and trying to sell tickets they have trouble selling now and often end of paying to fill.

too much focus on ticket prices in the revenue game. The ticket prices MUST keep the Bills on television. If price sensitivity drives games not selling out this is a huge mistake.

G. Host
01-28-2006, 04:48 PM
Then Bills should reduce number of tickets to insure sellouts since broadcasting is all important? That does not make sense. Tickets need to be a part of the overall revenue package and Bills fans can not expect a handout either in ticket prices nor expecting NFL to be able to provide all revenue via broadcasting rights. When a new owner takes over the Bills, the owner(s) will just be looking to see if Bills are profitable.

The_Philster
01-28-2006, 05:50 PM
Then Bills should reduce number of tickets to insure sellouts .they did...stadium used to hold 80,024...now holds 73,967

G. Host
01-28-2006, 08:58 PM
I was being sarcastic, I know they have already reduced it (hence my comment earlier about increasing it by 5000 and how little it gains the Bills). My point is that ticket sales are important to Bills and they want to sell every ticket they can.

Mitchy moo
01-29-2006, 07:55 PM
maybe he is a little cheap.