PDA

View Full Version : ~15 years ago, what where you doing when "wide right" changed your life?

Mitchy moo
01-28-2006, 03:17 PM
15 years ago we endured....the 'kick heard 'round the world'.....

what an awful awful time. i never felt worse for an athlete in my life than i did for poor scott norwood that day.

when we were lining up for the kick, the anxiety was so high i hid behind my dad's recliner and barely watched....i'll never forget slumping over in shock and disbelief.

My mom never got upset about any sporting, ever. I watched her cry after the kick sailed wide right she cried for a while and I don't think I ever felt something so serious was taken away from me (up to that point in my life).

When the Bills make it to their next SB & are winning it, I will be the guy holding the sign that says, "You don't have to cry anymore Mom they won this time, rest in piece I love you".

kinigirly
01-28-2006, 03:22 PM
are you kidding me?? why would you ask a question like that?? that's like asking where were you when your dog died when you were a little kid. no one wants to talk about it. its not like it brings up good memories. for the preppy cheerleader of the zone you're doing a crappy job lately

Mitchy moo
01-28-2006, 03:24 PM
are you kidding me?? why would you ask a question like that?? that's like asking where were you when your dog died when you were a little kid. no one wants to talk about it. its not like it brings up good memories. for the preppy cheerleader of the zone you're doing a crappy job lately

Sorry wierd time of year for me, lot's of memories of pain and anguish.

tat2dmike77
01-28-2006, 03:35 PM
I begun smoking crack and shooting up heroin imediatlly afterwords.

Seriously me and my old man were watching the game and we both sat in disbelief. I threw my soda bottle across the room and every other word out of my dads mouth was the f word. I'll be one of those guys that actually cries when the bills win a super bowl.

I'll probly have the same Skoob except mine will say grandma. She was a huge bills fan never missed a game on TV and always had something to say if the bills were screwing up.

LtFinFan66
01-28-2006, 04:29 PM
Sitting in a fuel truck at 4 am.(or so) at Incirlik Air Base in Turkey waiting for jets to come back from bombing Iraq so we could gas them and send them back over. Listening on AFN radio

tat2dmike77
01-28-2006, 04:32 PM
Listening on AFN radio

AFN RULES :lmao:

Devin
01-28-2006, 04:32 PM
I was about 11, it was roughly 4am in Germany where my dad was stationed. My dad and I watched the game together, about a month later he was shipped out to Desert Storm.

That being said....NO MORE SUPERBOWL POSTS FROM SKOOBY!

SabreEleven
01-28-2006, 04:44 PM
Sitting outside tent P4 in BFE (aka Al Kharj AFB, Saudi Arabia) during Desert Storm with Dan Allen from Rochester, NY. It was about 5 am in the morning when I screamed the biggest F bomb of my life. A couple people thought it was an alarm Red and they were shooting another SCUD at us. :snicker:...That's all I have to say about that.

Meathead
01-28-2006, 05:01 PM
looking for a nice sturdy rope and a shaky chair

lol jk

we were all at my aunt and uncles for the whole day partying. it was awesome. then when the kick sailed right we emptied out in about 47.6 seconds. lmao

i was really bummed for about ten minutes then i just reminded myself its entertainment i pay for and let it go

for a few weeks id get flashbacks and that little flutter of pain in my stomach but it dissipated quickly

still, i didnt watch it again for about two years. really, really, really great game. easily the all time best if he makes that kick (except for giant fans course) and still one of the top 2 or 3 all time best sbs

DynaPaul
01-28-2006, 06:17 PM
I was in high school at the time and went to a Super Bowl party in Albany that one of my Mom's friends was throwing. Naturally, there were more Giants fans than Bills fans at the party. I think there were only like 4 or 5 people rooting for the Bills including my brother, myself, and Mom. Well, it was fun at the party because the game was so close that everyone was glued to their sets and there wasn't too much bantering between the rival fans.

Then the kick happened. Before he lined up I knew it was a toughy but the season was so magical I couldn't even think about a miss. The first angle I saw almost looked like it made it but I knew that it didn't. Replay after replay showed the kick going wide of the uprights. I couldn't believe it. My mind was racing, maybe they could rekick? Wasn't it third down when they kicked it?

No, there would be no rekick. The game was over and the Giants got the Lombardi.

I'll never forget the sadness and look of disappointment on all of the players faces after it happened. An old guy at the party told me the Bills would not make it back to the big game for a long time. How wrong he was.

I was dead silent after it was over. People said "Oh, it was a good game, they played well." But I couldn't even muster any words to reply, I just sat there. Then on the car ride home I lost it and was crying for like an hour. It wasn't the fact that we lost the game that set me off, it was just that all of these players that I idolized gave it their all and still came up short.

It was like my best friend died.

Mitchy moo
01-28-2006, 06:25 PM
I was in high school at the time and went to a Super Bowl party in Albany that one of my Mom's friends was throwing. Naturally, there were more Giants fans than Bills fans at the party. I think there were only like 4 or 5 people rooting for the Bills including my brother, myself, and Mom. Well, it was fun at the party because the game was so close that everyone was glued to their sets and there wasn't too much bantering between the rival fans.

Then the kick happened. Before he lined up I knew it was a toughy but the season was so magical I couldn't even think about a miss. The first angle I saw almost looked like it made it but I knew that it didn't. Replay after replay showed the kick going wide of the uprights. I couldn't believe it. My mind was racing, maybe they could rekick? Wasn't it third down when they kicked it?

No, there would be no rekick. The game was over and the Giants got the Lombardi.

I'll never forget the sadness and look of disappointment on all of the players faces after it happened. An old guy at the party told me the Bills would not make it back to the big game for a long time. How wrong he was.

I was dead silent after it was over. People said "Oh, it was a good game, they played well." But I couldn't even muster any words to reply, I just sat there. Then on the car ride home I lost it and was crying for like an hour. It wasn't the fact that we lost the game that set me off, it was just that all of these players that I idolized gave it their all and still came up short.

It was like my best friend died.

Wow, too real.

thebuffalobills4
01-28-2006, 08:17 PM
15 years ago we endured....the 'kick heard 'round the world'.....

what an awful awful time. i never felt worse for an athlete in my life than i did for poor scott norwood that day.

when we were lining up for the kick, the anxiety was so high i hid behind my dad's recliner and barely watched....i'll never forget slumping over in shock and disbelief.

My mom never got upset about any sporting, ever. I watched her cry after the kick sailed wide right she cried for a while and I don't think I ever felt something so serious was taken away from me (up to that point in my life).

When the Bills make it to their next SB & are winning it, I will be the guy holding the sign that says, "You don't have to cry anymore Mom they won this time, rest in piece I love you".
i was born at the time.......

Mitchy moo
01-28-2006, 08:32 PM
i was born at the time.......

You came into the world on a Bills loss, I cannot say if that is bad or good. Birth is a beautiful thing.

P.S. Happy Birthday BB4!

ublinkwescore
01-28-2006, 09:01 PM
I took my frustration out on my Lawrence Taylor Wrestling Buddy

SabreEleven
01-28-2006, 09:26 PM
I took my frustration out on my Lawrence Taylor Wrestling Buddy

and I bet it kicked your ass.

Dr. Lecter
01-28-2006, 09:36 PM
I was in college watching with all of the other people on the dorm floor. I walked into my room and did not say a word for a very long time.

PUCKER
01-28-2006, 09:46 PM
We here home having a Superbowl party with family:my brother and his family and my other brother and his date. As soon as the kick ended,it was dead silence. My mom immediately headed for the kitchen and everyone got up to..aI cant remember. I sat there in the chair in shock,ready to cry and my oldest brother tried telling me they had a great year. :(

Throne Logic
01-28-2006, 10:18 PM
I friend and I were at a Superbowl party with a bunch of Giants fans. I honestly don't remember my exact feelings regarding the miss. I must have blocked out the memories. I do, however, remember every single bit about leaving that house, walking across the street in the damp cold, and getting in my buddies car to leave. It's actually the memory that immediately comes back with "wide right". Weird, but my actual reaction must have been something painful enough that my brain felt it needed to shut it away in some dark corner of my nightmares.

Throne Logic
01-28-2006, 10:19 PM
Just a side-note. I attended UCONN between 1992 and 1995. My roommate was a huge Cowboys fan. . .

It's no wonder I'm emotionally unstable these days.

chubluv
01-28-2006, 10:25 PM
I was watching that game with my grandfather & It was the last game he ever saw. Thats I will say about that.

Tatonka
01-28-2006, 11:24 PM
i was a freshman in highschool.. i was living in dallas texas.. i was at my house and i had about 10 people over to watch the game.. 3 of them were giants "fans".

i remember being so irritated during the game because they were cheering and saying "run that clock".. the drive after half time was excruciating.. the one where that wr made like 5 guys miss him to get that first down on a third and long..

anyways.. when they lined up for the kick.. i turned around.. i couldnt watch.. i just kneeled down and said "please god.."

of course, the announcer said "WIDE RIGHT!".. i turned around and saw the giants storming the field..

i screamed "NOOOOOO" as loud as i could.. and then i punched the wall..

my hand went through the drywall and hit the brick on the outside of the house..

i spent the next 3 hours in the emergency room getting a cast put on due to 3 broken bones in my hand.

it was a great night.

it got better the next day.. being the proud bills fan that i was.. i wore my bills sweatshirt to school the next day.. i dont even know what i was thinking.. it was like self mutilation or something.. god.. what an awful awful few weeks that was..

it was even better living in dallas when the damn cowboys beat them twice.. i was in a room full of cowboys fans both games.. no bills fans..

the first loss was still the worst..

haha.. the bills comercial just came on espn right as i was typing this.. :rofl:

superbills
01-28-2006, 11:57 PM
At a party a buddy of mine was throwing. Man, we were all amped for that kick. We had all gotten the Super Bowl 25 hats and being the idiots that we were we were frantically rubbing the logo for luck before the kick. We were all screaming and jumping around, and as the kick sailed right the whole place fell dead silent. The hats dropped to the floor and we all just stood there in disbelief. I went home shortly thereafter and wept for literally hours. Skipped school the next day. To this day, thinking about it knots up my stomach. Easily the most disappointing day in Buffalo Sports history, IMO.

tat2dmike77
01-29-2006, 12:04 AM
At a party a buddy of mine was throwing. Man, we were all amped for that kick. We had all gotten the Super Bowl 25 hats and being the idiots that we were we were frantically rubbing the logo for luck before the kick. We were all screaming and jumping around, and as the kick sailed right the whole place fell dead silent. The hats dropped to the floor and we all just stood there in disbelief. I went home shortly thereafter and wept for literally hours. Skipped school the next day. To this day, thinking about it knots up my stomach. Easily the most disappointing day in Buffalo Sports history, IMO.

What about NO GOAL?

THAT WAS BS TOO

superbills
01-29-2006, 12:08 AM
What about NO GOAL?

THAT WAS BS TOO

Being a huge hockey fan, that ranks right up there, but we still had to win another game after that. Had it been the clinching game for the Sabres, I would have to really think about which was worse, but being that wide right was for all the marbles, that one, IMO, was worse.

tat2dmike77
01-29-2006, 12:55 AM
Being a huge hockey fan, that ranks right up there, but we still had to win another game after that. Had it been the clinching game for the Sabres, I would have to really think about which was worse, but being that wide right was for all the marbles, that one, IMO, was worse.

I agree about wide.

But i think had the sabres won that game they would of won game 7 as well. But thats my opinion.

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-29-2006, 12:57 AM
I was at a party with a bunch of friends. We were all holding hands when the kick was made. We all got excited as it looked long enough. Then we all cried and collapsed as it was wide right. I did cry.

Mitchy moo
01-29-2006, 07:18 AM
I was at a party with a bunch of friends. We were all holding hands when the kick was made. We all got excited as it looked long enough. Then we all cried and collapsed as it was wide right. I did cry.

We all cried in our own way.

Bills41
01-29-2006, 07:19 AM
Super Bowl party at my house, the rec room was full with family. Scott kicks, wide right, the silence was deafining. I didn't say anything, just walked outside and went for a walk by myself. It's too bad that Scott gets most of the blame, that game could have been won early on.

JD
01-29-2006, 11:04 AM
After the kick I remember throwing my bottle at the tv. :baby:

bledslow
01-29-2006, 11:55 AM
i actually had a really good chuckle. the kick never had a shot.it was shanking the moment it left his foot. --i will also say that the bills really lucked out by playing the giants in that game.because if montana never gets crushed from behind late in the nfccg vs the giants,49ers would have gone on to beat the giants,and eventually beat the bills by 4 td's in the superbowl. atleast they got to have 1 close superbowl.

footballhottie
01-29-2006, 12:09 PM
I was 6 or 7 . I was sitting on the couch with my dad i remember how everyone was cheering. I realy wasnt sure what was going on but after the missed kick everyone started screaming "you jackass!" "mother****er" so on and so forth. So i asked what happed..no one said anything so i remember getting off the couch and standing in front of the tv (i always did this to get attention) and screaming "could some one please tell me what jackass just did!?"(guess i did know what jackass ment, i thought it was his name) I remember my grandfather rolling around laughing his ass off. Now my dad tells that story to everyone

Devin
01-29-2006, 01:15 PM
.......So i asked what happed..no one said anything so i remember getting off the couch and standing in front of the tv (i always did this to get attention)......

You liz? never!

footballhottie
01-29-2006, 01:23 PM
yeah thats so not like me

Mitchy moo
01-29-2006, 01:27 PM
yeah thats so not like me

LOL.