Who else here thinks we can win now with JP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Who else here thinks we can win now with JP?

Obviously l do. I feel we would have this year if...

1)MM was a strong man let alone HC.
    2) The Defense did it's job
    3) The OL had actually been improved.

4) The veterans had done their jobs and not tried to pin the TEAMS issues on JP and undermine him in the locker room.

I feel we can rack up 10 wins next year if....

1) They cut some dead weight veterans. Williams, Moulds, Adams, Campbell and Milloy.

2) replace them with younger, more hungry and TEAM ORIENTED talent.

3) The Defense gains two new DT's and at least one new safety with good playcalling.

4) the OL gets at least two new guys. 3 would be prefered. In as such Jim McNally has a HUGE say on the OL FA's/Picks and we can switch to a Zone blocking scheme.

5) better/ Smarter playcalling, which Fairchild will take care of.

6) we get a REAL TE!

Implement the zone blocking to get whomever at RB going and give JP time to throw. Keep the system simple yet unpredictable. ( and yes you can do both). Then play great Defense and ST's.

Chicago did that with Orton, they can do that with JP. I feel the meat of FA money needs to be on both lines, then Safety, TE and a replacement WR. Draft should be the same way.

We do that and we CAN win now with JP. Jauron said something that also makes me think JP will have every chance to start. he said something to the effect that the system has to be good, yet simple enough it doesn't take 3-4 years to 'develop a player' in it. Or something to that effect.

The Front office, Coaches, Defense and OL do thier jobs, JP will be fine.
  • FinsAreLife
    • Oct 2005

Re: Who else here thinks we can win now with JP?

i think JP gives you a chance to win some tough games, i will tell you i feel he will make some big mistakes still, but he is getting more experience and with that come less mistakes, hes got a good reciever in Evans, but whatelse does he have, thats also part of the issue

Comment

• X-Era
      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ICE74129

4) The veterans had done their jobs and not tried to pin the TEAMS issues on JP and undermine him in the locker room.

1) They cut some dead weight veterans. Williams, Moulds, Adams, Campbell and Milloy.

3) The Defense gains two new DT's and at least one new safety with good playcalling.

4) the OL gets at least two new guys. 3 would be prefered. In as such Jim McNally has a HUGE say on the OL FA's/Picks and we can switch to a Zone blocking scheme.

6) we get a REAL TE!

Implement the zone blocking to get whomever at RB going and give JP time to throw. Keep the system simple yet unpredictable. ( and yes you can do both). Then play great Defense and ST's.

Chicago did that with Orton, they can do that with JP. I feel the meat of FA money needs to be on both lines, then Safety, TE and a replacement WR. Draft should be the same way.

We do that and we CAN win now with JP. Jauron said something that also makes me think JP will have every chance to start. he said something to the effect that the system has to be good, yet simple enough it doesn't take 3-4 years to 'develop a player' in it. Or something to that effect.

2 FA o-linemen, plus a first day OL or 2, you can bet we get much much better.

I absolutely feel we can win day one with JP.

I was at the ATL game and noticed something you would never see on TV. It took the WR's FOREVER to get into their cuts. In other words, JP dropped back into a 3 step or 5 step and there was several seconds until the WR's made their breaks. I watched JP have to sit there waiting until he could throw it. Thats bad playcalling and scheming.

Hopefully with Fairchild we will much more quick slants and 10 yard cross routes to allow for some choices.

Its not dink and dunk, you can always run 1 guy long, but there were no underneath routes at all.

I guess Im just saying that Id like to see what a whole new playbook and a revamped o-line does for JP. Add in another offseason of preparation and training, YES I think we can win next year with him.

The only thing that can derail all of this is a silly QB controversy like the one Mularkey pulled. Neither QB knew whether they were coming or going, it was a mess that put them out of synch and killed any chance to jell. I think it cost us as much as maybe 2 games.

Thank god that pile of mularkey is gone now.

As far as your comments, ABSOLUTELY!!! the zone blocking scheme works wonders for a run O. Who are those 1st round OL for Denver? Yet they run the scheme and have had like 4 consecutive RB's run for over 1K.

Its the perfect blocking scheme for a RB with vision. They can pick and choose there holes rather than being forced to pound it into a plugged hole.

The other thing it does is allows a mobile QB to move with the blocks, draw the D up tight, and then hit the WR's long. It could be great for JP as well.

Comment

• ICE74129
        Legendary Zoner
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by jp-era
        2 FA o-linemen, plus a first day OL or 2, you can bet we get much much better.

I absolutely feel we can win day one with JP.

I was at the ATL game and noticed something you would never see on TV. It took the WR's FOREVER to get into their cuts. In other words, JP dropped back into a 3 step or 5 step and there was several seconds until the WR's made their breaks. I watched JP have to sit there waiting until he could throw it. Thats bad playcalling and scheming.

Hopefully with Fairchild we will much more quick slants and 10 yard cross routes to allow for some choices.

Its not dink and dunk, you can always run 1 guy long, but there were no underneath routes at all.

I guess Im just saying that Id like to see what a whole new playbook and a revamped o-line does for JP. Add in another offseason of preparation and training, YES I think we can win next year with him.

The only thing that can derail all of this is a silly QB controversy like the one Mularkey pulled. Neither QB knew whether they were coming or going, it was a mess that put them out of synch and killed any chance to jell. I think it cost us as much as maybe 2 games.

Thank god that pile of mularkey is gone now.
        To further your point. SEVERAL times this year Jim Kelly ripped both the aledged system and the WR's. He said he didn't know what it was MM was trying to do. It had no consistancy at all. As for the WR's he said they never seem to be able to get off of the ball and into thier routes quick.

Comment

• TedMock
          • Jul 2002

I think we can win with JP. He did start to mature later on. Statistically he wasn't any better, but his decision making vastly improved. Little things like throwing the ball out of bounds instead of taking a sack are important steps. I think our interior o-line is the biggest reason we weren't good. Most of the pressure came up the gut and it came immediately. Holcomb got rid of the ball but always had 2 or 3 batted at the line. Losman would start to run and get sacked. Either way, the old cliche' holds true. "you win and lose in the trenches." 2 guards, or a center and a guard are absolutely necessary. I'm still not done with Williams at some position. At the end of 2004 he vastly improved and was crushing people on the run. Last year he was injured quite a bit. Either an unfortunate year, or he's a big wuss. I'm not opposed to dumping that salary though either. On defense, a big, fat, DT would be ideal. Somebody to take up blockers. Depending on the scheme, we may need bigger DE's too. Schobel's a decent pass rusher, but not a great overall DE. He may work better as an OLB in a 3-4. It really depends on flexibility in that case. Overall, the o-line, a DT, and a FS would be the biggest areas for us to look at IMO.

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

1) They cut some dead weight veterans. Moulds, Adams, .
            Dead wieght because of caps reasons or because of JP reasons.

Just so you know Evans was on Moulds' side when it came to putting the best player in there. By your reasoning (JP related) let's cut Evans too. He's obviously a cancer since he was on Moulds' side.

You are obviously trying to divide the players based on your infatuation for JP. Not a valid reason, coach. If your reason was to cut Moulds because of cap reasons, then that would be valid. Otherwise, if Moulds restructures, he stays and both he and JP will have to iron out their differences if there ever was one.

You act like Moulds had a PERSONAL vendetta against JP, guess what? Most of the vets core wanted the best player in there. Let's get rid of them all. NOT.

Eveything you stated in there would work for ANY qb including KH "at this point in time based on where they are at right now" . Not just JP.
            sacrifice1
            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• X-Era
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
              Dead wieght because of caps reasons or because of JP reasons.

Just so you know Evans was on Moulds' side when it came to putting the best player in there. By your reasoning (JP related) let's cut Evans too. He's obviously a cancer since he was on Moulds' side.

You are obviously trying to divide the players based on your infatuation for JP. Not a valid reason, coach. If your reason was to cut Moulds because of cap reasons, then that would be valid. Otherwise, if Moulds restructures, he stays and both he and JP will have to iron out their differences if there ever was one.

You act like Moulds had a PERSONAL vendetta against JP, guess what? Most of the vets core wanted the best player in there. Let's get rid of them all. NOT.

Eveything you stated in there would work for ANY qb including KH "at this point in time based on where they are at right now" . Not just JP.
              Dont even remotely try to pull the Evans was on Moulds side sh_t. Thats a load of crap that you have invented to support your hatred for JP.

Let me see, JP's favorite target was Evans and Evans had like 4 long TD's with him an dlike none with Hole-cumb. But somehow Evans wasnt a fan of JP? Thats BS. I think what you are refering to is Evans's responses to direct questions about whether KH starting was the right move. Evans, unlike Moulds, was a class act and went along with whomever the coach picked.

But Evans was MUCH more productive under JP and hence its a bigtime BS reach that he wanted Holcomb as the starter.

You have been living in fantasy land and now want to create facts to support your arguements.

Just-a-cut-the-BS man!

Comment

• FirstDownBills
                Your rebirth can't hurt
                • Dec 2005

6) we get a REAL TE!

J.P is our next stud QB. I'm on board Ice!

Marv Levy Era

Regular Season Record: 0-0-0
                Playoff Record: 0-0
                Super Bowl Appearances: 0
                Super Bowl Wins: 0

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

ICE, I think you're asking the wrong questions. QB play was a sore spot for us, but it was EXPECTED to be a sore spot. Willis, the D and the ST were supposed to take the pressure off, and that never happened (with the exception of ST). The reality is JP (and Holcomb for that matter) weren't really given the opportunity to succeed and neither should be judged based on this past season. I'm not really sure we can win AT ALL unless huge changes are made to the OL and DL.

That being said, I hope JP can win a camp competition. I want him to play but I think TD and MM made a huge mistake by handing him the keys without making him earn it. Holcomb seems to be a bit better at this point, but he's 33 and has never had real success in this league. We need to find our QB of the future, and if it's not JP we need to establish that and move on. If it is JP, great- he needs to get on the field and take his lumps (why does it feel like i've been saying this for a year and a half? Oh right- I have).
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Michael82
                    • Jul 2002

I'm on board. I thought JP Losman showed some good development and if we didn't have a moron for a head coach, he would have started the last two games of the season and kept improving. So what if we finished out 4-12 instead of 5-11. I don't care. As long as our rookie QB got the experience that he needs.

After watching the highlight video, i saw some nice plays by JP Losman and I'm excited to see how he does with a different offense that actually utilizes his talents more than Mularkey did.

Comment

• FirstDownBills
                      Your rebirth can't hurt
                      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
                      ICE, I think you're asking the wrong questions. QB play was a sore spot for us, but it was EXPECTED to be a sore spot. Willis, the D and the ST were supposed to take the pressure off, and that never happened (with the exception of ST). The reality is JP (and Holcomb for that matter) weren't really given the opportunity to succeed and neither should be judged based on this past season. I'm not really sure we can win AT ALL unless huge changes are made to the OL and DL.

That being said, I hope JP can win a camp competition. I want him to play but I think TD and MM made a huge mistake by handing him the keys without making him earn it. Holcomb seems to be a bit better at this point, but he's 33 and has never had real success in this league. We need to find our QB of the future, and if it's not JP we need to establish that and move on. If it is JP, great- he needs to get on the field and take his lumps (why does it feel like i've been saying this for a year and a half? Oh right- I have).

Thats because Mike Mularkey was mentally handicapped as a coach.

Marv Levy Era

Comment

• FirstDownBills
                        Your rebirth can't hurt
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Mikey82
                        I'm on board. I thought JP Losman showed some good development and if we didn't have a moron for a head coach, he would have started the last two games of the season and kept improving. So what if we finished out 4-12 instead of 5-11. I don't care. As long as our rookie QB got the experience that he needs.

After watching the highlight video, i saw some nice plays by JP Losman and I'm excited to see how he does with a different offense that actually utilizes his talents more than Mularkey did.

Mikey, I'm excited too! Bring on the fall already!

Marv Levy Era

Comment

• Night Train
                          Retired - On Several Levels
                          • Jul 2005

Never have I witnessed a young QB being handled worse than Losman. TD made the decision to throw him to the wolves by cutting Bledsoe and penciling him as the starter. He hadn't earned anything at that point and didn't have the backing/confidence of the Vets.

Add to the fact that MM/Clements called a horrid gameplan for a 1st year starter and his failure was a given. His benching early on was justified. Once he came back off the bench against KC and won the game, he should have started the remainder of the season. That " injury " he supposedly had was minor.

With a new coaching staff, let him and Holcomb compete for the job, so as to garner the support of the roster. He should easily win and have a better OL and maybe an extra weapon or 2 to work with.

Drafting or signing a QB in 2006 is insane. OL, DL , CB etc. Real issues over imagined.

BTW- don't mention Todd Collins as another example of a young QB being mishandled. I mean QB's with actual talent.
                          Upon attending Collins first camp at Fredonia, I knew within 30 minutes of the 1st practice that Collins was a major dud.
                          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• tonyc37
                            • Jan 2006

If we were a lock to go to the playoffs and win I'd say lets keep Moulds,but thats not the case.Holcomb is not good enough and he has a weak arm.When teams game planned for his decision making wasn't much better than Losmans' considering he's been in the NFL for 10 years and is upwards of 32 years old.Remmeber the 4th dowwn in New England when he through way short to Moulds.A season vet has to throw that ball past the marker no matter what.He didn't game over.Not the kind dicision making I want of a guy thats been around for going on 11 years

Comment

• X-Era
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37

I am 400% behind this! I only want to see if JP can be OUR guy ON the field. If he aint, can his a_s and get another young QB who IS!

Comment

Working...
                              X