PDA

View Full Version : Ideal Day 1 of the draft....

DraftBoy
01-29-2006, 01:06 PM
Round 1-Brick/Scott/Trade Down-Justice
Round 2-Jean-Gilles/Joseph/Lutui
Round 3-Hagan, Minter

If we can pick up those players in those rounds, Id have to say our day 1 would be an A+ draft. We would have vastly improved our OL which by in large was our biggest weakness. Hagan would be an amazing 3rd option for our team and in round 3 a steal. Minter would provide great CB depth and could develop into a starter one day. This is my ideal draft. What is yours?

ParanoidAndroid
01-29-2006, 01:10 PM
I like it as long as we add a FA DT. I think Scott may be a reach at #8 though.

clumping platelets
01-29-2006, 01:13 PM
Cannot target position in any rd.....you take quality football players. Our 1st rd pick can be nearly any position as long as that player produces. We also cannot anticipate how FA will impact the draft....if the Bills sign someone like LT Kevin Shafer (ATL), then the need for a young OT is greatly diminished. However, without FA, I would say

1st-BPA at OL, DL, LB, DB
2nd-BPA any position except QB, K, P
3rd-same as 2nd rd

Devin
01-29-2006, 01:20 PM
In this order:

1. Williams/Brick/Hawk/Ngata
2. Gilles/Wroten/Wright/Lutui/Joseph
3. Minter/Dumervil/Watson

DraftBoy
01-29-2006, 01:47 PM
Cannot target position in any rd.....you take quality football players. Our 1st rd pick can be nearly any position as long as that player produces. We also cannot anticipate how FA will impact the draft....if the Bills sign someone like LT Kevin Shafer (ATL), then the need for a young OT is greatly diminished. However, without FA, I would say

3rd-same as 2nd rd

If we sign Kevin Shafer our need for a young OT is greatly increased. The kid is horrible. Look we can perdict all we want based on team needs at this moment. Things will change after FA and so will our perdictions. This is by no means meant to be an accurate perdiction, bc obviously if we were to sign Hutchinson then we would have no need for a OG in round 2. But Id like to see some names from you, as to who you would pick in each round if the draft was tommorow.

hydro014
01-29-2006, 02:16 PM
I really get into the draft each year so i have been looking at a lot of guys and this is what i think:

After watching the Senior bowl and hearing all the hype this is how i think the first will work out, IMO.

1. Bush (HOU)
2. Leinhart (NO)
3. Young (TEN)
4. D. Williams (NYJ)- looked great at the senior bowl and all year, i really think they want to trade down for cutler but no good offers, its to early for him here and they feel as though they need a skill position guy so they say no to D'Brick.
5. L. WHite (GB) - i know you think i am nuts but their was a report that after the Rose Bowl the pack was in love with white, they had a good D last year and if Farve comes back they need a better RB, Green is most likely not going to be resigned so they shock the world and go with White. Also, GB has not drafted well since Wolfe and Holmgren left.
6. Cutler (OAK)- They need a QB and they dont get Culpepper, so they go to Cutler and hope he can get the ball to Moss.
7. M.Williams (SF) - They really want D. Williams (RB) to fall after the staff coached him at Senior bowl, they really love him, but i think they have to get a D player since he's gone, so i think it could be Williams or HAwk

8. D'Brick (BUF) - I know many people dont think he'll fall, but i think he could. Even if he does fall to us Hawk is still there so we could take him also but i think Marv finally takes care of the OL. One person i dont want at this pick is Ngata, i think he will be a good player but i really think this is to early for a DT, I also think that we'll bring in a FA DT, Edwards will be back and maybe Adams, so we draft one in the 3rd or 4th.

2nd-Bobby Carpenter (LB) - Ohio St. He may not be HAwk but he's a hell of a LB, He comes in a adds security to our LB's, since they are not sure how Spikes will recover.

3rd A - Nick Mangold (C) - Ohio St. He was a machine at the Senior bowl and I dont think Preston will cut it at center. This is a great pick, Marv gets a great Center for years to come just like when he had Hull.

3rd B - Derek Hagan (WR) - Ariz St. He was arguably the best WR all year but his stock has fell a lot from lack of speed and a case of the Drops at the Senior bowl all week. I really think our WR core has enough speed so we get a solid possession who fell a lot since the end of the college year.

* I know these picks may be a little different than what most Draft sites have us picking, and some of these guys might be gone b/f we pick, but i have seen crazier things before. So remember this is my opinion and how AS OF TODAY i think our draft may look like. so give me feed back and tell me what you think i can take criticism. Also, as for the top 10, its hard to predict this early or even at all, so i explained my reasoning for some of the piucks.

Here is what I want on the 1st Day:
1. Mario Williams DE NC ST.
2. Tatusi Lutui OG USC
3a. Charles Gorden CB Kansas
3b. Dusty Dvoracek DT Okla

Ferrygoat
01-29-2006, 02:37 PM
Thats the way i hope the draft goes....the only problem i see with that is Lendale White going to GB, i heard that they were hyped about him after the rose bowl but i still think it may be too early to take him, unless he just rips it up at the combine. If Brick could fall to us our O-Line would instantly be way better, but if he doesnt fall there still should be some good talenty there. I also agree that we dont take Ngata with the #8, i think thats too early even tho hes a stud. If all else fails, i think we trade out.

What could we get for our #8 if say we traded to Miami so they could jump up and grab cutler? Any ideas on what they would have to give us to move up there???

kgun12
01-29-2006, 10:19 PM
Round 1 = A.J. Hawk LB
Round 2 = Watson DT
Round 3 = Hagen or Avant WR

This would be the way I would like it to play out. I picked these players and position thinking that we address the O-line in FA. I think we need to go after one stud and a second tier O-linemen. I just think it is better to get prove players for the line. Takes to long for them to learn how to play in the NFL especially if thee put next to the crap we have on our line. I will say though with a team with our record, that if I am drafting I would alway pick the best palyer on the board, no matter what. If I was in the Conference Championship game I draft for need first best player second.

vicmantak
01-29-2006, 10:30 PM
It's too early and it depends on several factors but I would say:

Trade down with Lions and get an extra early 2nd round pick and still get Ngata on 1st!

gr8slayer
01-29-2006, 11:04 PM
I want anyone who is going to help us be a better team.

losman2evans
01-29-2006, 11:13 PM
Round #1 D'Brickashaw LT or (Mario Williams DE - won't be available )

Round #2 Max Jean Gilles OG ( Rod Wright DT-may not be available )

Round #3 Ryan Cook C

Nobody could say we did not address the offensive line and/ or defensive line
What we plan with Mike Williams, Clements, and Moulds will affect these decisions. But i WOULD LUV TO HAVE AN OFFENSIVE LINE THAT WE WOULD NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT FOR THE NEXT 5+ years. Although it would take 2+ years for an offesive line to gel. Or so that is what "they" say.

Ferrygoat
01-29-2006, 11:42 PM
I would rather see us take Nick Mangold C from Ohio State in the 3rd if hes there.

Bmax
01-30-2006, 01:53 AM
I don't why everbody likes hagan he can't catch (bad week at senior bowl SHOWED HE WAS A BODY CATCHER) .. As a possesion wr that's the one thing he needs to know how to do well. I would rather Have stovall..

BMAX

LifetimeBillsFan
01-30-2006, 03:51 AM
What I'd like to see and what I expect will happen are two different things, as is what I would try to do if I were GM.

What I'd love to see is:
1.) LT Ferguson (Virginia)
2.) DT Bunkley (FSU)
3A.) C Esslinger (Minn) or OT O'Callaghan (Cal)
3B.) S Blue (Georgia) or CB/S Pepprah (Alabama) or WR Stovall (ND)

What I expect will happen:
1.) DT Ngata (Oregon) (Ferguson and Mario Williams are gone at #8)
2.) OT Colledge (Boise St.) or Whitworth (LSU) or Trueblood (BC) (Jean-Gilles is gone in Round # 1)
3A.) C Esslinger (Minn) or OT O'Callaghan (Cal) (Spencer, Joseph, Smith and Mangold are already gone)
3B.) CB/S Pepprah (Alabama) or LB Nicholson (FSU) or WR Stovall (ND)

If Ferguson, Williams and Ngata are gone (or Ngata doesn't perform well at the Combine), I would try to trade down with Denver for its two picks at the end of the first round (the # 8 pick and a compensatory third round pick might get it done, if they won't trade the two # 1s for the # 8).

1A.) OT Scott (Texas)
1B.) DE Hali (Penn State) or CB Youboty (Ohio St) or S Whitner (Ohio St) or LB Ryans (Alabama) or LB Howard (UTEP) (pick depends on status of Clements and Spikes)
2.) DT Bunkley (FSU) or DT Watson (Michigan)
3B.) If pick is retained, BPA depending on who is taken at 1B--ie, if Hali, Pepprah or Blue or Minter, etc.

Based on their Senior Bowl performances and what I have seen of some of these players, I am trying to be as realistic as possible about who is likely to be available when the Bills are picking. For example, Jean-Gillies has likely moved into the middle-to-late first round and would not be a realistic option in the second round; Mangold and Spencer are likely not to be still around early in the third round; etc. Also, based on Marv Levy's past history of going defense over offense and his comments about fixing the Bills' defense, I expect him to emphasize defense in this draft while still trying to address the Bills' obvious weakness in the offensive line.

X-Era
01-30-2006, 07:30 AM

3rd-same as 2nd rd

A++++. Amen brother!!! Ive been preaching this but its falling on Keller like ears.

Besides, the positions you list, I might even think long and hard about 2 players at non-need positions.

Did anyone else watch DeAngelo Williams? What a friggin stud! I watched him a few times during the year and he ALWAYS gets big yards. Id think about parting ways via a trade wwith McGahee and taking him at 8. We could land another 3rd or maybe even 2nd for McGahee.

Vernon Davis (TE) is a BETTER prospect than Winslow. Hes the next Shockey, Gates, or Gonzales. He is a workout FREAK! and he shows up every single play. A young QB can use some underneath guys...ask Eli!

If either of them falls, Id be thinking long and hard. We can do the BULK of our work in FA and take the best available.

If we land a top DT and at least one top G/C, would you change you list of positions? I think I would.

R. Rich
01-30-2006, 07:32 AM
What I'd like to see and what I expect will happen are two different things, as is what I would try to do if I were GM.

What I'd love to see is:
1.) LT Ferguson (Virginia)
2.) DT Bunkley (FSU)
3B.) S Blue (Georgia) or CB/S Pepprah (Alabama) or WR Stovall (ND)

What I expect will happen:
1.) DT Ngata (Oregon) (Ferguson and Mario Williams are gone at #8)
2.) OT Colledge (Boise St.) or Whitworth (LSU) or Trueblood (BC) (Jean-Gilles is gone in Round # 1)
3A.) C Esslinger (Minn) or OT O'Callaghan (Cal) (Spencer, Joseph, Smith and Mangold are already gone)
3B.) CB/S Pepprah (Alabama) or LB Nicholson (FSU) or WR Stovall (ND)

If Ferguson, Williams and Ngata are gone (or Ngata doesn't perform well at the Combine), I would try to trade down with Denver for its two picks at the end of the first round (the # 8 pick and a compensatory third round pick might get it done, if they won't trade the two # 1s for the # 8).

1A.) OT Scott (Texas)
1B.) DE Hali (Penn State) or CB Youboty (Ohio St) or S Whitner (Ohio St) or LB Ryans (Alabama) or LB Howard (UTEP) (pick depends on status of Clements and Spikes)
2.) DT Bunkley (FSU) or DT Watson (Michigan)
3B.) If pick is retained, BPA depending on who is taken at 1B--ie, if Hali, Pepprah or Blue or Minter, etc.

Based on their Senior Bowl performances and what I have seen of some of these players, I am trying to be as realistic as possible about who is likely to be available when the Bills are picking. For example, Jean-Gillies has likely moved into the middle-to-late first round and would not be a realistic option in the second round; Mangold and Spencer are likely not to be still around early in the third round; etc. Also, based on Marv Levy's past history of going defense over offense and his comments about fixing the Bills' defense, I expect him to emphasize defense in this draft while still trying to address the Bills' obvious weakness in the offensive line.

Broderick Bunkley had a very good week of practices in Mobile, but didn't do much @ all in the game. I thought he had a very tough time matching up w/ the bigger interior OL. They're only going to get bigger @ the pro level. Besides, we need a run stuffing DT: a big guy to clog up the lanes. We don't need another pass rushing DT.

jdbillsfan
01-30-2006, 08:38 AM
For me....

Trade down if possible and pick up another 2nd.

1) Jean Giles
2) Mangold
2) Cromartie
3) D'Qwell Jackson
3) Klopfenstein

mysticsoto
01-30-2006, 09:49 AM
For the record, I don't see GB taking a RB when Ahman Green will be healthy next year, and the rookie Gado that they ended up playing alot this past year actually played really well!!!

Draft I'd like to happen:

1) Brick (LT)
2) Joseph (OG)
3) Rodrique Wright (DT) / Maurice Stovall (WR) or Pat Watkins (S)

Draft I think will happen:

1) Ngata (DT) (Replace Sam Adams - cap savings)
2) Martin Nance (WR) (Replace Moulds - cap savings)
3) An OT/OG tweener that can play both - McNally likes versatility in his linemen...Justin Blalock maybe...or Jake Long / Jami Hightower...

dolphinssuck
01-30-2006, 11:06 AM
brick 2.mangald 3. Joseph 4. Stovall