I need Your HELP with this Thurman Thing!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

I need Your HELP with this Thurman Thing!!!

Guys (and gals).. I need your help here.
    I got a piece on Fox Sports.com about Thurman Thomas.. And I REALLY want to run a mail-bag/comments on this topic.

So if you guys can take a minute to read this and then drop a comment either for OR against Thurman going into the Hall on First ballot, I'd really appreciate any comments you got concerning Thurm... I want to re-print some of them for a feeback column I am doing later this week.

Thanks!
    Ps- here is the piece...

On Saturday at around 2 p.m. the NFL will reveal this year's class for the Hall of Fame. It's a safe wager to say former Bills running back Thurman Thomas will have cell phone in hand eager for a jingle right around the same time.
    This is Thomas' first year of eligibility and the consensus is he has an excellent chance of getting in on his first attempt.

Rip on them if you will, but you can never take away the fact that the Buffalo Bills are the only team EVER to go to the Super Bowl four straight years. You don't win four consecutive conference titles without Hall of Fame caliber performers. Marv Levy and Jim Kelly are already enshrined. Bruce Smith is a lock to follow when he becomes eligible. Andre Reed has an excellent chance to get in and Steve Tasker may be a dark horse.

For running back Thurman Thomas, the discussion certainly isn't if he'll get in, but when.

The decisive best all-around back of his generation, Thomas transcended the running back position into what you've seen since from Marhsall Faulk, Tiki Barber and LaDainian Tomlinson.

The following is a list of 20 reasons why Thurman Thomas merits a first ballot Hall of Fame enshrinement:

HALL OF FAME RESUME
    1- In 13 career seasons, 12 with the Bills, Thomas rushed for 12,074 yards and had 4,458 receiving with 88 touchdowns.

2- He ranks in the top 12 all-time in rush attempts (11th), rushing yards (12th) and yards from scrimmage (12th).

3- Eight straight 1,000-yard seasons; something only Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith and Curtis Martin have been able to do.

4- The only player in NFL history to lead the league in total yards from scrimmage four straight seasons (1989-92) and was second to only Emmitt Smith in '93 with 1,702.

5- 1991 NFL MVP.

6- Led the AFC in rushing yards three continuous seasons (1990-92).

7- Had at least 48 receptions in six straight seasons (1989-94).

KEY TO THE SUPER BOWL RUN
    8- During the four progressive years the Bills reached the Super Bowl (1990-93) Thomas missed only one game, rushed 1,226 times for 5,506 yards (4.5 avg) and ran in 33 touchdowns.

9- He was the game's best pass catcher from the backfield. During the Super Bowl span Thomas caught 217 passes for 2,096 yards and 10 Touchdowns.

10- Was as durable as a top running back could get. He missed only one game during his first six seasons in the league and only six more during his next five.
    PLAYOFF PERFORMER
    11- In three playoff games in 1990, the Bills first AFC championship, Thomas ran for at least 100 yard in every game. He amassed 390 yards rushing and 154 receiving yards during the run.

12- In the 1990 AFC championship 51-3 massacre of Oakland, Thomas ran for 138 yards on 25 carries with a TD and caught five balls for 51 yards.

13- Ran for 96 yards and caught 70 more in the 1992 AFC title win at Miami.

14- In the 1993 AFC championship, the Bills fourth straight conference title, Thomas ran for 186 yards and three touchdowns to upended Kansas City; becoming the only team to reach the Super Bowl four straight years.

15- In the four AFC title contests combined, Thomas ran for 492 yards (4.73 average) and scored four TDs. He also caught 15 balls for 168 yards and another touchdown.

16- Would have unquestionably been the MVP of Super Bowl XXV had Scott Norwood's field goal sailed through the uprights. In that game Thomas torched the New York Giants for 135 yards on only 15 carries with a touchdown and caught five passes for 55 yards. Many argue that if Thomas had gotten the ball more the Bills would have won in a romp.

17- Thomas was a playoff factor even before the Bills marvelous Super Bowl run. In the 1989 playoff loss at Cleveland, Thomas caught a team-record 13 passes for 150 yards and a pair of touchdowns in a wild 34-30 defeat.

18- Is second fiddle all-time only to Jerry Rice in total yards from scrimmage in the playoffs with 2,114.

19- Combined for over 150 combined yards in a playoff game seven times, including three times in 1990 alone.

SUMMARY
    20- The maximum allotment into the Hall for one year is six and the minimum is three. Troy Aikman and Reggie White are sheer locks for two spots. Between the pair of "Senior Committee" nominees (John Madden and Rayfield Wright) one if not both are near certain to get in. That leaves a maximum of three left with a chance to get in.

Thomas' main competition among the remaining finalists include Harry Carson, Russ Grimm, Michael Irvin, Art Monk and Derrick Thomas. None are assured to get in this year or anytime soon. Carson, Irvin and Monk figure to present the biggest hazard to Thomas.

The Hall commonly likes to reserve a first-time selection for only the most peerless of players in the history of the game. Only 25 of the 223 members of the Hall made it on their first try.

First timers are sparse and unique.

All the more rationalization for Thomas being number 26.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • Earthquake Enyart
    Legendary Zoner
    • Jul 2002

Re: I need Your HELP with this Thurman Thing!!!

I don't like the numbering. They should be bulletts.

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

lol, Earthquake.. Thanks for the tip.

Now how about Thurman going in on FIRST ballot??

Comment

• Dont drink the water
        • Oct 2005

Thurman definitely deserves to go first ballot but may not due to tightening of rules and "guarenteed" players.

Good article but not much I have not read elsewhere.

Comment

• tat2dmike77
          Let the planet get warmer. We'll grow oranges in Alaska!
          • Dec 2005

Thurm has the numbers but cause of the class i doubt he will be in this year. Next year is a more likely lock.

Don't get me wrong i think he deserves to go first time. But troy boy and reggie and john are gonna as long as the other old timer can't remember his name. Of course for some reason irvin will get in i dunno why i don't think he should but he will.

Thurm will go next year as much as i hate to say it. But hey maybe the the voters will prove me wrong we will find out for sure on sat at 2 pm.

Comment

• The_Philster
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by tat2dmike77
            Thurm has the numbers but cause of the class i doubt he will be in this year. Next year is a more likely lock.

Don't get me wrong i think he deserves to go first time. But troy boy and reggie and john are gonna as long as the other old timer can't remember his name. Of course for some reason irvin will get in i dunno why i don't think he should but he will.

Thurm will go next year as much as i hate to say it. But hey maybe the the voters will prove me wrong we will find out for sure on sat at 2 pm.
            Irvin won't get in this year...Monk's been waiting for years to get in...and his numbers merit HOF a lot more than Irvin's
            The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

I agree about Irvin. I think Monk finally gets his due before Irvin.

I dont know who is even eligible (big name wise) for next year's induction.

Comment

• That Guy
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by The_Philster
                Irvin won't get in this year...Monk's been waiting for years to get in...and his numbers merit HOF a lot more than Irvin's
                Irvin's career as a whole has more HOF merit than Art Monk. I don't get this whole 'Well if Art Monk hasn't gotten in, then this receiver can't get in' thing.

Comment

• tat2dmike77
                  Let the planet get warmer. We'll grow oranges in Alaska!
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by That Guy
                  Irvin's career as a whole has more HOF merit than Art Monk. I don't get this whole 'Well if Art Monk hasn't gotten in, then this receiver can't get in' thing.
                  Monk has better numbers.

But irvin has more rings and more of a loudmouth look at me i'm so great i rule i smoke crack please look at me i'm the playmaker i rule. kind of guy

While monk just went about his business. Rice really did monk over. Not taking anything away from rice. But had he not been as great as he was we wouldn't be having this convo right now cause monk would be in already.

But because the journalist love to go down on irvin he will be in soon enough.

Comment

• Dont drink the water
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by tat2dmike77
                    But because the journalist love to go down on irvin he will be in soon enough.
                    Because Irvin has been massaging voters via ESPN (insider info to writers) he will be able to get more votes but whether enough voters realize he is a fool is the question.

Comment

• The_Philster
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by That Guy
                      WRs are notoriously slow getting in...Monk's been due for years and his numbers are better than Irvin's
                      The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Charlieguide
                        Learning that we're only immortal for a limited time
                        • Feb 2004

Irvin uses his media status to get in? He didn't make it last year . . .

Monk retired as #2 all-time in receptions. 'nuf said

Back to Thomas and the Bills, I think this might add a little more impact. Last I remember no team in any pro sport had made its championship game four years in a row.

Also consider where TT ranked in stat categories when he retired (i.e. was he top-ten in rushes, rush yds, and/or total yds?). I think that's valid b/c it compares him to his predecessors and contemporaries, not those that came after him. We'll never don't talk about Payton as the "2nd leading rusher of all time"; we'll always call him the "best until Emmitt."
                        The best is yet to come, and the rest is history. -- Oval Opus

Comment

• AndreReed83
                          Dink or dunk, Mularkey just plain stunk.
                          • Mar 2004

Quite simply when you come down to it, Irvin's careers says he should probably take about 3 years or so to get in. The main idea of the Hall of Fame for PLAYERS is that it's supposed to be that shrine for players who never won the big game. It's supposed to be about stats. Thurman has the stats and records that warrant a first time entrance. He should get in easily and if someone like Irvin makes it over him, it will be because the NFL HOF wants the attention a Cowboy's love fest would bring media wise. Thurman better make it, I want a reason to watch the HOF induction again.

"Look it up Thurman!!!" ~Marv Levy~
                          "It's like someone walking into your house and punching your mother RIGHT in the the face." ~Darryl Talley ~

Comment

Working...
                          X