PDA

View Full Version : NFL Free Agent Offensive Guards

vicmantak
01-30-2006, 08:56 PM
Let's help the "new" FO know who is our favorite NFL FA Guard in this board. Here is a list, take your pick and discuss:

Bob Hallen UFA Chargers
Corey Hulsey UFA Raiders
Fred Weary UFA Texans
Grey Ruegamer UFA Packers
Jonathan Goodwin UFA Jets
Kris Dielman RFA Chargers
Kyle Kosier UFA Lions
Montrae Holland RFA Saints
Ray Brown UFA Redskins
Reggie Wells RFA Cardinals
Scott Kooistra RFA Bengals
Sean Mahan RFA Buccaneers
Stephen Nea UFA Patriots
Steve Hutchinson UFA Seahawks
Terrence Metcalf UFA Bears
Tom Nutten UFA Rams
Toniu Fonoti UFA Vikings
Tutan Reyes UFA Panthers
Tyrone Hopson UFA Lions
Vince Manuwai RFA Jaguars

vicmantak
01-31-2006, 12:50 AM
No comments?
Well, let me start from the biggest name:

Stephen Neal

Is it a good idea to fill this spot with a Word Champion wrestler?

http://www.usoc.org/73_30185.htm

ParanoidAndroid
01-31-2006, 06:46 AM
Except the biggest name here should be Hutchinson.

ddaryl
01-31-2006, 06:49 AM
Steve Hutchison or bust !!!

But IMO Seattle will re-sign Steve before they try to sign Alexander. Holmgren loves a solid OL. Holmgren almost always takes an OL on day 1, and look at Seattles OL compared to Buffalos.

in fact I remember Draft Analyst giving the Seahawks grief for drafting yet another OL when there were other needs. Look were Seattle is today.

X-Era
01-31-2006, 06:55 AM
Steve Hutchison or bust !!!

But IMO Seattle will re-sign Steve before they try to sign Alexander. Holmgren loves a solid OL. Holmgren almost always takes an OL on day 1, and look at Seattles OL compared to Buffalos.

in fact I remember Draft Analyst giving the Seahawks grief for drafting yet another OL when there were other needs. Look were Seattle is today.

Agreed. They are gonna have to let someone leave though.

They just signed Walter long term to a big deal. And now Hutch, Alexander, and S Maquand Manuel are FA's.

Id take any of those 3. But Hutch is my number 1 choice.

ICE74129
01-31-2006, 06:59 AM
I watched Hutchenson and Alexander on NFLN last night. From what I get, he doesn't want to go anywhere. I can't blame him. He was there as a rookie and helped build that org into a top notch team. He isn't going to bust his butt then just leave after getting them to the superbowl. I think when it shakes out he takes less than his FA Market Value to stay in Seattle.

alohabillsfan
01-31-2006, 10:53 AM
I watched Hutchenson and Alexander on NFLN last night. From what I get, he doesn't want to go anywhere. I can't blame him. He was there as a rookie and helped build that org into a top notch team. He isn't going to bust his butt then just leave after getting them to the superbowl. I think when it shakes out he takes less than his FA Market Value to stay in Seattle.

What did you expect him to say... I can't wait until this whole super bowl thing is over so I can hit the FA market and make the big bucks!

Mahdi
01-31-2006, 11:17 AM
It really depends on how much they pay Alexander. If he breaks their bank then Hutchinson cant afford to stay in Seattle. And Alexander is pretty much intent on doing that since this will be his last big pay day. And also, with all the incentives they will have to pay out to players for making the SB and Pro-Bowl wont they be tight against the cap already?

venis2k1
01-31-2006, 03:15 PM
Toniu Fonoti!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vicmantak
02-01-2006, 09:22 PM
Toniu Fonoti!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you sure?

San Diego Chargers
by Loren S. Casuto

Offensive Line – 2005
What many consider the worst part of the team, the Chargers OL was not as good as many expected it to be. LT Roman Oben was out half the year and with him went a savvy veteran, OL leader and solid pass blocker. His replacement, OT Leander Jordan, had his moments but could not pass block long term or pick up a blitz. While he’s not solely to blame, he is the scapegoat for much of the trouble the offense had. LG Kris Dielman stepped in for Toniu Fonoti and played very well; while still raw, he plays with a lot of aggression and has improved his pass and run blocking skills a great deal. Look for him to be a long term solution for the Chargers. C Nick Hardwick was injured from time to time and when he was out it showed; Hardwick is neither the biggest center nor the most powerful, but he is excellent at
making line calls and is a solidifying presence. Nevertheless the lack of push up the middle in both running and passing games was blamed on him. RG Mike Goff is another double edged sword; on one hand he was the only Charger OL to start every game, is a solid veteran leader, especially when Oben went down, and received critical acclaim as a great trap and pass blocker. On the other hand he didn’t get the push a right guard should get and couldn’t pull well. RT Shane Olivea was beaten on pass coverage and the questions remain about whether he should be a guard but he did improve immensely in both pass and run blocking. OT Cory Lekkerkerker, OG Wes Sims & C Scott Mrzucowski did not play this year while OG-C Bob Hallen started only two games, much to the relief of Charger fans.

Offensive Line – The future
It is well known that the Chargers will go into the draft looking to upgrade a line that cost OL Coach Carl Mauck his job. Rumors are coming out of Miami that former Charger OL Coach Hudson Houck wants to bring Hardwick and Olivea to Miami and both are interested in joining with their former coach. Leander Jordan is a UFA and he’s gone as will Bob Hallen. Kris Dielman is an RFA and looks to be brought back. The Chargers will likely be in the market for a pair of tackles, maybe a guard if there’s any truth to the rumors about Olivea and Hardwick, and some depth. There isn’t much in the free agent market but there are three prizes; OT Bob Whitfield from the Falcons (a good backup and a solid pass blocker), OG Steve Hutchinson from the Seahawks (the pro bowl Left guard is a free agent but could be franchised and subjected to a price war) and C LeCharles Bentley (another pro bowler but could return home to Ohio, also could look at C Kevin Mawae).

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/ChargersColumn.htm (http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/ChargersColumn.htm)

vicmantak
02-03-2006, 05:23 AM
Minnesota Vikings
by R.J. Moses

Another major factor in the running game coming to life was changes to the offensive line. Tice held out for too long hoping that the offensive line that he had penciled in at the beginning of the season could do the job. They were nowhere close to doing so. Rookie Marcus Johnson started at right guard and was victimized early and often by opposing defenses. Replacing him with Adam Goldberg helped. At center Corey Withrow has had his troubles and was eventually replaced by Melvin Fowler, who is much more athletic and can get out on the sweeps like Matt Birk had done for the Vikings. Withrow did have to return to the lineup when Fowler was banged up in the Giant game. Another weak link was Chris Liwienski at right guard. Tice finally decided to pull Liwienski and start Tuniu Fonoti, a mammoth lineman picked up from the Chargers in a trade. Fonoti presence in the line seemed to help the left side. When Fonoti pulled a hamstring, Tice brought in another young reserve in Anthony Herrera instead of Liwienski. Both helped upgrade the line play. One more move was necessary to keep the Viking ship headed in the right direction. Right tackle Mike Rosenthal had another terrible game and could do nothing to stop the Packer pass rush. Finally Tice had seen enough and pulled Rosenthal late in the first half and brought Marcus Johnson in to replace him. Johnson seems much better suited to right tackle than guard. This re-tooled offensive line that had zero time to develop cohesiveness as a unit absolutely dominated the Packers in the second half of the game. If Fowler gets healthy enough next week, the Vikings will probably have on the field, compared to their original starting line up when the season began, a total of one offensive lineman, Bryant McKinnie. The odd thing about it is that this is good news.

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/VikingsColumn.htm

djjimkelly
02-03-2006, 10:33 AM
i also wouldnt be dissapointed if we grabbed manuwai from what i understand hes a very solid player and would be an upgrade at half the price of hutchinson. however i would still like hutchinson with manuwai as a backup plan

venis2k1
02-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Manuwai AND Fonoti.

vicmantak
02-04-2006, 10:29 PM
Jacksonville Jaguars Team Needs

Rookie Vincent Manuwai (6'2", 304 lbs) has been working with the first team at left guard and should enter the season as the starter there. He is very strong, physical and agile but is just an average athlete and lacks size and quickness. The good part about him is that he can play center as well, just in case the team needs him there. For now, though, Manuwai will stay at guard and last year's left guard, Brad Meester (6'3", 295 lbs), will move to center to replace the departed John Wane(Buccaneers). Meester has started every game at guard the last three seasons, so it remains a possibility that he could switch back there if he struggles in the middle. Chris Naeole (6'3", 314) is the last starter at right guard. The team is confident in his ability, as they signed him to a new seven-year deal this off-season.
Jacksonville isn't bad up front; there are certainly worse offensive lines in the league. However, they don't have much experience playing together at all, not to mention their players aren't set at all the positions just yet. It doesn't seem as if RB Fred Taylor needs much of a line to run behind at all, but he will have to deal with at least two new starters in front of him, so be careful when expecting another elite season - if he stays healthy, that is.

The Jaguars have invested heavily in their offensive line and it shows. This line has improved significantly in the last couple of years as the Jaguars replaced veterans like Tony Boselli and Zach Weigert with younger players. Guys like Vince Manuwai, a powerful run blocker at left guard who was outstanding as a rookie last year. He started 15 games and proved he will have a long-term impact for the Jags. Right tackle Maurice Williams is strong and agile. Left tackle Mike Pearson is a tough run blocker and is getting better at pass protector. None of those guys are older than 25. They're helped by the presence of veteran center Brad Meester and guard Chris Naeole. The one thing they all have in common is that that are tough, physical blockers. Depth is provided by tackle Ephraim Salaam and guard Mike Compton, who are both capable of starting.
--------------------
Scouts, Inc. on Manuwai - "excellent motor - very good play strength - strong initial punch - can absorb and hold his ground vs. power DT's - can be a dominating player at OG, but still a little raw in some areas - must improve his balance and body control - Can be late off the ball & allow early penetration right at the snap - will have late reactions to stunts and delayed blitz - a young OG that gets better all the time - he is short with short arms, but powerful and explosive.
--------------------
Cavanaugh remembers coaching Vincent Manuwai at Hawai'i. Manuwai is now the Jacksonville Jaguars' offensive guard. In college, Manuwai weighed in at 287 pounds, but the Jaguars pushed him up to 320.
"A lot of (NFL teams) are enamored by these bigger guys," Cavanaugh said. "(Manuwai) is too heavy where he's playing at. They want him to be at that weight, but to me he doesn't need to be."

Guard is not a very big area of concern, but it could be brought up. Maurice Williams and Khalif Barnes look like they have the tackle spots wrapped up for some years to come, as does Brad Meester at center. Chris Naoele and Vince Manuwai struggled a bit this year, but at times it seemed it was because the Jaguars had no left tackle. Khalif Barnes came in and did the job, and Manuwai and Naoele seemed to be themselves again. The Jaguars most likely will stay with them, as they are solid, and reliable veterans. However, with a good crop of offensive lineman declaring this year, the Jaguars could look for a future replacement for one of the two. Byron Leftwich isn't afraid to take a hit, but he does need protection to be effective. The Jaguars could be drafting with the Best Player Available mindset, and if a guard is that player, the Jaguars could possibly look to draft them. The odds, however, point towards no.

vicmantak
02-06-2006, 10:57 PM
I don't know but when I continue breaking down some guards, Kris Dielman is still my favorite player to add and the reasons are the following evidences:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
1. Chargers OL cap:
Johnson, Marcus OL Rookie #68
Barron, Alex OL Rookie #12
Goff, Mike OL San Diego Chargers 1515000.00
Oben, Roman OL San Diego Chargers 1100000.00
Jordan, Leander OL San Diego Chargers 700000.00
Fonoti, Toniu OL San Diego Chargers 455000.00
VanBuren, Courtney OL San Diego Chargers 380000.00
Hardwick, Nick OL San Diego Chargers 305000.00
Olivea, Shane OL San Diego Chargers 305000.00
Chris Dielman OG ERFA (tendered 300k)<o:p></o:p>

2. Dielman's news:<o:p></o:p>
<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:date Month="11" Day="28" Year="2005">Nov. 28, 2005</st1:date><o:p></o:p>
Lost in the wake of the numbers put up by QB Drew Brees, RB LaDainian Tomlinson and TE Antonio Gates is the way the offensive line has held up despite a number of injuries and the offseason departure of esteemed OL coach Hudson Houck. In 2004, C Nick Hardwick missed two games, and that was it for the offensive line. This season, however, only OG Mike Goff has started every game. Various injuries have forced OG Kris Dielman, C-OG Bob Hallen and OT Leander Jordan into the lineup. Dielman stayed put, replacing the since-traded Toniu Fonoti, but the fact the continuity up front hasn’t been disrupted despite the musical chairs has impressed teammates like Brees and sources alike.<o:p></o:p>
<st1:date Month="10" Day="24" Year="2005">Oct. 24, 2005</st1:date><o:p></o:p>
According to a league personnel executive, the Chargers are relieved to have finally rid themselves of the emotional roller coaster that was OG Toniu Fonoti. Word from NFL insiders indicates that Fonoti, a second-round pick in 2002, was complaining about the outcome of early-season surgery on his broken right hand, which required him to go under the knife again a few weeks later. In the past, he also has been at odds with the team over his weight, which we’re told is closer to 400 than the listed 350, and has seen his dedication called into question on more than one occasion. Since he’ll be a free agent after this season, the Chargers had no intention of rewarding him with the payday he feels he is entitled to and decided to get a late-round draft pick from the Vikings in exchange. Fonoti has proven to be a dominating run blocker at times and did play well in 2004, but the Chargers have not skipped a beat with his replacement, Kris Dielman, and have rid themselves of the lingering attitude problems.<o:p></o:p>
<st1:date Month="10" Day="10" Year="2005">Oct. 10, 2005</st1:date><o:p></o:p>
Road-grading OLG Toniu Fonoti was forced to undergo more surgery on his broken right hand last week, but his extended stay on the shelf is no longer considered that much of a detriment, considering the positive feedback Kris Dielman has received from his time in the lineup. In Dielman’s first two starts, QB Drew Brees was not sacked, and the Chargers rushed for 451 yards. A former undrafted free agent who worked overtime to make the transition from tight end and defensive tackle in college to the offensive line with <st1:City><st1:place>San Diego</st1:place></st1:City>’s practice squad as a rookie in 2003, Dielman is a feisty competitor who plays until the sound of the whistle and gets off the ball quickly to establish good position. His stellar work in driving the Patriots’ Vince Wilfork and Richard Seymour off the ball in Week Four earned a lot of praise from teammates. He also has opened some eyes around the league. “Kris Dielman is playing at a high level,” one NFL pro personnel director told PFW. “When a starter goes down, usually there is a drop-off in play. There was none when Tonoi Fonoti broke his hand. Dielman is nasty. He gets after it. He’s quick out on linebackers. He frustrated the best defensive tackle in football (<st1:City><st1:place>Seymour</st1:place></st1:City>) all afternoon. Not bad for an undrafted free agent.”<o:p></o:p>

vicmantak
02-06-2006, 11:27 PM
Tutan Reyes playing his way to payday<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

With every win by the Panthers, right guard Tutan Reyes becomes more and more like Jeno James. When the Panthers went to the Super Bowl two seasons ago, James was an average player on the offensive line. But the fact he went to the Super Bowl convinced at least one team, the Miami Dolphins, that James was worth a big contract. In <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Miami</st1:place></st1:City>, James quickly proved he’s ordinary.
Reyes fits the same profile, but he could have a big payday after his contract expires. Although the Panthers like Reyes, don’t look for them to pay him big money. Left guard Mike Wahle already makes a fortune, and the drafting of Evan Mathis this year was to prepare for Reyes becoming a free agent.

<o:p>Third-round pick Evan Mathis has some potential, but his playing time has been limited to special teams. But Mathis could be the future at right guard. Tutan Reyes has played well and the Panthers aren’t going to make major changes while they’re winning. But Reyes can become a free agent after the season, and the Panthers have Mathis waiting.

</o:p>The Panthers already have $93.5 million committed to their 2006 salary cap. Nobody knows exactly what the cap will be, but it’s $85.5 million this year and it’s not likely to go above where the Panthers are.

Also, see other comments about Tutan in Panthers' message board:
http://www.nflfans.com/x/archive/index.php/t-4847.html

vicmantak
02-07-2006, 10:31 PM
Not too much stuff on Villarial’s replacement in Chicago but (Terrence Metcalf) but:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Bears have few holes to fill
Only Terrence Metcalf among the usual starters this season is an unrestricted free agent and the Bears already have signed Roberto Garza to a long-term extension as his likely successor. Only Metcalf, however, also has fewer than Garza's five NFL seasons. Ruben Brown (11), Olin Kreutz (8), Fred Miller (10) and John Tait (7) do not qualify as young offensive linemen.
Bears also are expected to extend the contracts of swing tackle John St. Clair and center/guard Lennie Friedman. But the organization is intent on getting young players into the development pipeline, which flows slower here than most positions.
Angelo has not drafted an offensive lineman since Marc Colombo and Metcalf in the first and third rounds of his first draft (2002). The Bears are in good salary-cap shape but, with Garza, will have former free agents starting at four positions. Kreutz was kept only with a huge contract in 2002. Only Kreutz started every game this season and the Bears want to get young talent in place.<o:p></o:p>
2005 Bears Offensive Line Preview
Projected Starting Lineup: C-Olin Kreutz; G-Terrence Metcalf; G-Roberto Garza; T-John Tait; T-F. Miller
Key Backups: T Marc Colombo; G Reuben Brown
After a couple of mediocre seasons, this offensive line should be better in 2005. The Bears have veteran leadership in center Olin Kreutz, guard Reuben Brown, tackle John Tait and tackle Fred Miller. They also possess young talent in guard Terrence Metcalf and T Marc Colombo and good of depth to call upon. Metcalf has great bulk and power and is a gifted run blocker. He does need to improve his footwork though and is a sub par pass blocker. Can play all three spots on the interior of the offensive line. Looks to earn a starting job at right guard in 2005. Started 7 games over the previous 2 seasons between LG and RG including starting at LG in the final 5 contests of the 2004 campaign. Selected bythe Bears as a third-round (93rd overall) by <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Chicago</st1:place></st1:City> in 2002. Kreutz is the best center in the game today with tremendous athleticism and technique. Tait had a good first season with the Bears but will be expected to have more of an impact in 2005. If Terrence Metcalf can continue to grow as a player and cement his spot in the starting lineup (and newcomers Roberto Garza and Fred Miller can quickly feel comfortable within this scheme) expect big things from this group. The depth is outstanding with players like <st1:City><st1:place>Colombo</st1:place></st1:City> and Brown more than capable of starting at the NFL level.<o:p></o:p>
2005 Total Salary: RFA; $384,900<o:p></o:p>
Buchsbaum says: I like him at this spot. He can play guard; he might be able to play tackle. Has a tendency to play on his toes, but if he can correct that, he can be an overpowering guy.<o:p></o:p>
Patty Taylor says: Now I go and get me some depth in a few free agents.I sniff at Terrence Metcalf and Steve Hutchinson but the guy I really go after is Fred Weary OG – a good run blocker who is good at pulling and making blocks on the move. He is a smart player with very good work habits and hustles on every down. A good coaches player that is always trying to make plays.<o:p></o:p>

tampabay25690
02-07-2006, 11:28 PM
It really depends on how much they pay Alexander. If he breaks their bank then Hutchinson cant afford to stay in Seattle. And Alexander is pretty much intent on doing that since this will be his last big pay day. And also, with all the incentives they will have to pay out to players for making the SB and Pro-Bowl wont they be tight against the cap already?

Hutchinson will be the #1 PRIORITY, mark my words.......

TigerJ
02-08-2006, 07:43 AM
Corey Hulsey started out as a Bill. Let's just hope he doesn't end up as one.

Billsrock4life
02-08-2006, 04:07 PM
i want huchinson so bad but i doubt the bills have the cap space 2 sign him

X-Era
02-08-2006, 04:45 PM
No comments?
Well, let me start from the biggest name:

Stephen Neal

Is it a good idea to fill this spot with a Word Champion wrestler?

http://www.usoc.org/73_30185.htm

Stephen Neal is SO not the biggest name.

Steve Hutchinson is. After that its a crap shoot with guys like Metcalf, maybe Hallen, and Ruegamer

L.A. Playa
02-08-2006, 05:19 PM
alot of guys will probably be resigned with backloaded contracts before they hit the market

vicmantak
02-09-2006, 04:31 AM
Stephen Neal is SO not the biggest name.

Steve Hutchinson is. After that its a crap shoot with guys like Metcalf, maybe Hallen, and Ruegamer
It's true but something happened in my mind that automatically excluded him. I don't know if the fact that Seahawks are simply living their best OL and it doesn't make any sense if they will not keep their "Jones-Hutchinson powehouse pair" but... it seems that Seattle will be in very good shape and I can see Hutchinson as ther top priority and Shaun Alexander playing anywhere, if not with the Cardinals.

If I'm not wrong, the next top guard is Jaguars Vince Manuwai but most likely they give him the high tender which will mean that anyone that signs him will have to give up a 1st and a 3rd round pick and I don't see Bills paying that joke.

Then I can see Kris Dielman, Toniu Fonoti, Terrence Metcalf, Tom Nutten, Bob Hallen, Reggie Wells and then, the Stephen Neal I mentioned first when I didn't break down player by player.

Michael82
02-09-2006, 10:57 AM
If the Bills can pry Vince Manuwai from Jacksonville, they should, IMO.

Bmax
02-09-2006, 04:32 PM
What about Lecharles Bentley..He was a Pro Bowl RG before moving to center..

We could put him wherever was best for us......LG-C OR RG..

BMAX

vicmantak
02-09-2006, 11:38 PM
Cardinals off-season needs and strengths
By Gary Jones
January 25, 2006,
Offensive line- There are two positions that appear set. They are left tackle and right guard. LT Leonard Davis had a solid year blocking, but had way too many penalties. The right guard is rookie fourth round pick Elton Brown. Although he went through some growing pains and was injured for most of the second half of the season, he showed that he is clearly the future at RG for the Cardinals. At left guard, Reggie Wells did a good job in pass protection, but is not much of a road grader in the running game. He was used at center early in the season and in the pre-season and performed quite well there. I think his best position and the best move for him would be to put him at center. He has better skills and more size and power than both Alex Stepanovich and Nick Leckey. Leckey did a good job after Stepanovich went down and shouldn't have any problems making the roster for 2006. All three are good enough to start, but Wells has better talent.

Arizona Cardinals Team Needs
By: Emmett Willson
Offensive Guard:
This unit likely faces an extreme makeover after producing the worst rushing attack in the league, and one of the worst in the league in the last 35 years. The offensive guard position has been the weakest position on the Cardinals offense, especially in run blocking. Reggie Wells was a big let down before he was injured for the season, rookie Elton Brown has had trouble adjusting to the pro game and our bench is extremely weak, allowing opposing defensive tackles to own the line of scrimmage. Wells is out for the season after fracturing and dislocating his left ankle in Sunday's 29-21 loss at Detroit.Davin Joseph of Oklahoma, Max Jean-Gilles of Georgia, Ryan O'Callaghan of Cal, Matt Lentz of Michigan, Charles Spencer of Pittsburgh, Aaron Lips of Louisiana Tech and Mark Setterstrom of Minnesota in the 1st through the 3rd rounds are all great picks at a must pick position.

2003 draft: Pick-by-pick analysis
By Nolan Nawrocki and Jeff Reynolds
April 27, 2003
177. Arizona: OT Reggie Wells, Clarion
The 300-pound Wells is mobile and athletic, with the ability to play guard or tackle. However, teams were concerned that he didn't use his hands well enough. He also has sloppy technique.

Scouts' rumblings
By Nolan Nawrocki
Dec. 12, 2002
"There’s an offensive tackle in Pennsylvania at Clarion University that is going to be a decent player named Reggie Wells. He wasn’t even on the map before the season, but he’s real athletic. He wasn’t real heavy coming out of high school because he played basketball. He was recruited by West Virginia and Pittsburgh, but his parents both went to Clarion, so he went there. He’s a sleeper.”

NFL Prospect Profiles
Reggie Wells, Jr.
Position: Offensive Tackle/Guard
College: Clarion
Height: 6-3
Weight: 300
Hometown: Liberty, Pa.
ANALYSIS
Positives: Athletic pass protector who is extremely quick for a player his size … Very fluid moving upfield, showing the ability to set up to take proper blocking angles … Sinks his hips low when firing off the snap and has developed a solid hand punch to rock defenders back … Very effective on the short-area pull and adjusts quickly to the edge rushers, shuffling his feet properly to slide back and protect the outside … Has the long arms to seal off the outside and his lateral agility is ideal for trap blocking … Looks very natural and at ease when moving off the snap and has developed excellent quickness in getting his hands raised.
Negatives: Still a little raw, but he has all the tools you need to unearth his talents — size, strength, speed … Needs to refine his hip swerve, as he does not roll his hips through contact … Rolls off blocks at times, and needs refinement in this area … Has to also work on his upfield block, as he does not quickly recognize the linebackers moving towards the ball and seems to stand around more than trying to get a piece of someone.
CAREER NOTES
Four-year starter who is one of the quicker and more agile blockers in the collegiate ranks … The two-time All-American and All-Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference choice is a product of the school’s weight room, having added over 50 pounds to his frame since arriving on campus as a freshman … A legacy, following in his father’s (Reggie Sr.) footsteps by performing for the Golden Eagles (father was inducted into the school’s Hall of Fame in 1990 as a basketball player).

vicmantak
02-09-2006, 11:52 PM
What about Lecharles Bentley. He was a Pro Bowl RG before moving to center..

We could put him wherever was best for us......LG-C OR RG..
BMAX
Great suggestion. As you said, his natural position is G and if he is less expensive than Hutchinson, he should be the player to target.

Career Stats (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302175)

His combination of hard-nosed play, gritty temperament and polished blocking techniques has sparked Bentley's rise to emerge as one of the NFL's top interior linemen in just three seasons. Among the club's strongest players, he made a successful switch to center last season, his college position, handling all line calls and adjustments. Has started all 43 games he has played in since arriving in New Orleans as a second-round pick in 2002, including all 16 games in 2004. Pro Bowl pick in 2003 at guard was a near-unanimous choice for NFL All-Rookie honors in 2002. Bentley was selected as the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year by Sports Illustrated that season.

2004 - Started all 16 games for the first time...Took over as the first team center in training camp, his college position, and made quick conversion, becoming one of the unit's leaders...Voted as an alternate to the Pro Bowl.

2003 - Started the first 13 games at RG and was the foundation of the offensive line before being placed on injured reserve, Dec. 27, with left knee sprain. Injury required off-season surgery to repair the damaged ligaments...Suffered knee sprain in the third quarter vs. Indianapolis, Sept. 28, but returned to action the following week...Suffered left knee sprain vs. Tampa Bay, Dec. 7, in the third quarter and was inactive the next week vs. New York Giants...Placed on injured reserve, Dec. 27...Voted to the Pro Bowl the following week...Key part of an offensive line that helped RB D. McAllister post nine-straight 100-yard performances and 1,641 yards on the season.

2002 - Started 14 games at RG and thrived as part of a unit that helped RB D. McAllister notch eight 100-yard games and the second-highest rushing total in franchise history (1,388 yards). Offensive line also protected QB A. Brooks as he set a club record with 27 TD passes...Showed no rookie jitters in first NFL contest despite lining up against All-Pro DT Warren Sapp in opening-day victory at Tampa Bay, Sept. 8. Bentley helped limit Sapp to three tackles...Continued his consistent play throughout the season, bouncing back from a sprained right ankle suffered in the first quarter at Carolina, Nov. 10, that sidelined the rookie at Atlanta, Nov. 17, and vs. Cleveland, Nov. 24.

vicmantak
02-09-2006, 11:55 PM
If the Bills can pry Vince Manuwai from Jacksonville, they should, IMO.
Sorry but how? Is he worth it?

vicmantak
02-11-2006, 04:35 AM
I couldn't find interesting information or comments about UFA FRED WEARY but it seems that Packers are "slightly" interested on his services:

I sniff at Terrence Metcalf and Steve Hutchinson but the guy I really go after is Fred Weary OG – a good run blocker who is good at pulling and making blocks on the move. He is a smart player with very good work habits and hustles on every down. A good coaches player that is always trying to make plays.

Fred Weary, Tennessee, 6-4 3/8, 308, 3-4: Not athletic but tough and strong. Can play center in an emergency. Had ankle surgery in 2000 but seems to be OK. “He’s a tough guy that can play,” a college scout for an AFC team said.
Pete Dougherty

DRAFT ANALYSIS
Positives: Versatile, with the ability to play center or guard … Shows quickness coming out of his stance, clearing defenders off the ball with his leg drive, hand jolt and explosion … Has an aggressive nature … Clamps on tightly to ride the defender wide … Physical drive blocker who simply runs over people … Effective trap blocker with ease-of-movement agility adjusting in space … Can anchor down with force in pass protection and extends his arms properly to contain the bull rush … Hard worker in the weight room … Known for his ability to get inside the frame of a defender to rock him back with a jarring hand punch … Mirrors double moves well due to his fluid lateral agility.
Negatives: Despite his power, he still tries to finesse rather than maul … Has had a series of injuries that cost him considerable playing time over the years … More comfortable working in space than as an in-line blocker … Injuries have taken away some of the leg drive he displayed earlier in his career … When he gets over-aggressive, he tends to lean into the defender, causing them to slip past his blocks.
CAREER NOTES
This consummate team player has capably filled in at several positions during his Tennessee career … Recruited as an offensive guard, he moved to defensive tackle as a redshirt freshman, only to move back to offensive guard the following year before taking over the center position as a junior and then back to guard for his final campaign … Battled back from 2000 injury woes to garner All-America honors in his final season … Started 25 of 47 games he's played in for the Volunteers.

vicmantak
02-12-2006, 04:07 AM
Departure leaves Jets hurting up front
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com
Friday, August 15
Six-year veteran guard Tom Nutten, signed by the New York Jets ostensibly to replace departed standout Randy Thomas, abruptly announced his retirement, leaving the team puzzled but also perilously thin on the offensive line.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1596678.html

After 20 Years, Brown Calls End to His Career
By Howard Bryant and Eli Saslow
Washington Post Staff Writers
Sunday, January 15, 2006;
SEATTLE, Even though he spent the last moments of his career grappling with a playoff loss, this is exactly how Ray Brown wanted it to end, he said. The Washington Redskins offensive lineman walked off the field satisfied and uninjured, convinced that despite a 20-10 loss he was leaving on top.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/14/AR2006011401183.html

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player?statsId=2252

vicmantak
02-12-2006, 04:33 AM
Packers Column
By: Garett Preston
1/20/06
OG- The guards were disastrous this season. There were quite a few people who got a chance to play but no one solidified the starting position. Scott Wells played well in the running game but struggled in the passing game. Will Whitticker failed to use his size to his advantage and really needs to work hard in the off-season if he wants to improve. Adrian Klemm was disappointing and is nothing better than a backup. He does not look like a guard in the NFL but there is no room for him at tackle. Grey Ruegamer did not get a lot of playing time except when he replaced Flanagan at the end of games. I thought he would have been the best candidate to start at guard. Most people are pointing fingers at the coaching staff for not solidifying the guard position and it hurts me to agree with that because of my high respect for o line coach Larry Beightol.

Packers Season Ending Review
By Patty Taylor - PackerChatters Staff-Green Bay
Wednesday, 11 January 2006
Grey Ruegamer OG/C is a pretty decent backup player that can get time playing and not hurt you. I bring him back for 1 more year.

vicmantak
02-12-2006, 08:40 PM
New Orleans Saints
Inside Slant USATODAY.com
Posted 2/11/2006 2:27 PM
This group was supposed to set the table for the Saints to utilize Deuce McAllister's speed and power, but the line greatly underachieved. Bentley, who is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent, was a solid player and was selected to the NFC Pro Bowl squad, and Brown, the Saints' top draft pick, was the real deal. As a whole, the line was inconsistent and often set the offense back with 34 penalties - Gandy and Brown were flagged eight times each. Mayberry was the big acquisition in free agency, but he lost his starting job early in the season to Holland and never got it back.

SAINTS NOTEBOOK: Offense update
By Chris Pika, October 27, 2005; NewOrleansSaints.com
G MONTRAE HOLLAND: Top reserve at both guard spots has started 22 of the last 35 games, including 13 in 2004...Solid run blocker is also polished in pass protection...Opened at right guard vs. Atlanta in place of G Jermane Mayberry (shoulder).

The Latest "Ask Mike"
By Mike Detillier; SaintsReport.com Draft Analyst
Date: 4/9/05

On offense, WR. Devery Henderson has the talent to really pick up the pace in his 2nd year and perform like a 2nd round pick. OG. Montrae Holland is another player that in my opinion has a real good attitude and he has the talent to raise the bar on his play. He is a strong legged performer in the lower-body and he is a good run blocker. He needs to better his pass protection skills.

Pro Football Weekly Draft Tracker
Montrae Holland
OG | (6-1, 333, 5.3) | FLORIDA STATE

Notes: Redshirted in 1998 and played on second unit in '99. Started the final seven games in 2000 and every game in '01. Second-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference in '01, when he allowed only two sacks. Missed a couple of games late last year with an ankle injury but still earned first-team All-ACC honors and some All-America notice.
Positives: Massive widebody with great upper-body strength. Plays with a good, wide base and is a very powerful run blocker who can root defensive tackles out. Has good balance and body control. Is athletic for his size, has quick feet and can adjust on the move. Square build.
Negatives: Has the tools to be a good pass blocker but needs work on his technique. On the short side and can't play tackle. Will get too heavy at times. Will struggle at times vs. blitz. Relies on his power too much.
Summary: One of the best guards in the country. Very powerful and can dominate one-on-one.

NFL.com ANALYSIS
Positives: Has a wide, thick frame … Shows quick hands and feet coming out of his stance … Very aware of stunts, displaying proper kick slide in his lateral movement … Keeps a wide leg base to maintain balance, sitting low and sinking his hips to gain leverage … Plays flat-footed and can get under defenders quickly when inline blocking … Uses his hands effectively to latch on and control, looking to refit after making the initial hit … His low pass set allows him to retreat and set up quickly, especially when picking up stunts and blitzes … Competitive type who always looks for another defender to strike … Uses his leg drive to get defenders down at the first level and shows a sudden burst to track down linebackers at the second level … Extends his arms properly to wall off, showing power when firing out … Gets movement on drive blocks and makes fluid adjustment when changing direction.
Negatives: Poor offseason conditioning habits have hampered him from maximizing his talents … Needs some time to digest the play book … Will lunge and lose leverage on reach blocks … Sits low in his pass set, but his lack of height poses problems vs. the defender's swim moves … Has had knee problems in the past … Needs to add more strength in order to consistently anchor (weight room figures do not translate to the field).
CAREER NOTES: Three-year mainstay on the offensive line, starting 29 consecutive games at the demanding "tight" (right) guard position … The three-time All-Atlantic Coast Conference pick led the team's down linemen in blocking consistency ever since moving into the first unit.

Guards - Sporting News Draft Preview
April 21, 2003
Montrae Holland Florida State 6-2, 333, 5.15
Powerful, explosive run blocker who is solid in pass protection. Consistently wins his battles and can crumble defenders. Plays with balance and toughness. Moves well for a big man.
Montrae Holland’s lack of height is a big disconcerting, but he is a good football player. Short, but bulky, power player with good athleticism. Very good run blocker at the point-of-attack. Can pull and block at the second level. Decent pass blocker who sometimes has problems with lateral quickness. Needs to improve his technique and work better to sustain his blocks.

Prospects slip for a number of reasons
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com
Saturday, April 26, 2003
On the draft boards of most teams, the evaluations at the offensive guard position typically featured Eric Steinbach of Iowa, Vince Manuwai of Hawaii and Florida State's Montrae Holland as the top three.
A lot of good that pecking order did, right, for the trio of interior blockers?
Regarded by most personnel directors as a top 10-12 prospect, at least from a purely athletic standpoint, Steinbach was shunned in the first round and the Cincinnati Bengals got one of the top steals of the first day by snatching him with the initial selection in the second stanza.

Holland and Manuwai, meanwhile, didn't even fare that well. Manuwai was on the board until the third round, and didn't go off the board until the No. 8 pick in that stanza, after 71 other players had been chosen overall. That was still a whole lot better than Holland, who was not chosen at all.

That those three players slipped, in part, is because of the position they play. Guard is not a priority position for most franchises, who put big money into offensive tackles, and simply try to develop grunt players around them. For the blue-collared Holland, a pair of balky knees helped scare away scouts as well, and partially overshadowed his in-line power.