PDA

View Full Version : Four Years Later.. Evaluating The 2002 NFL Draft

patmoran2006
01-30-2006, 09:19 PM
From Fox Sports.Com
Four Years Later.. Evaluating The 2002 NFL Draft.. - FOX SPORTS (http://blogs.foxsports.com/patmoran2006/2006/01/30/Four_Years_Later_Evaluating_The_2002_NFL_Draft)

How many years does it take before you can justly evaluate the impact of a draft class?
One or two years is obviously not enough, while even the third year some players are just starting to blossom into the prized athletes the organizations that invested millions (and in some cases-jobs) charted them becoming.

After the fourth season, it’s a competent assumption you get an effective read on what was a Rolls Royce and what was a lemon.

A look back at the NFL draft class of 2002 and the impact they have made.. or lack thereof, with the team that selected them.

1- Houston- David Carr, QB
Even after four years, The fact he's been on a horrible team without any kind of offensive talent surrounding buys him one more year. With Gary Kubiak now at the helm, it's now or never. (Grade: C-)
2- Carolina - Julius Peppers, DE
Arguably the best defensive end in football. (Grade: A+)
3- Detroit - Joey Harrington
Is it the system or his lack of a NFL mentality? (Grade: D)
4- Buffalo - Mike Williams, OT
Complete bust. Lost his job to an un-drafted tight end. (Grade: F)
5- San Diego - Quentin Jammer, CB
Has made no kind of real impact. (Grade: C-)
6- Kansas City- Ryan Sims, DT
Complete and utter bust. (Grade: F)
7- Minnesota - Bryant McKinnie, OT
Compared to Williams, He's the second coming of Anthony Munoz, (Grade: B)
8- Dallas - Roy Williams, S
Has been to 'Boys what Peppers is to Carolina. (Grade: A+)
9- Jacksonville - John Henderson, DT
Might not get the hype the others do, but he's a stud. (Grade: A-)
10- Cincinnati - Levi Jones, OT
Underrated member on explosive Cinci offense (Grade: B)
11- Indianapolis - Dwight Freeney, DE
Chiefs would have been S.B. contender if they took him instead of Sims. (Grade: A+)
12- Arizona - Wendell Bryant, DT
Symbolic of the mediocrity of the organization. (Grade: F)
13- New Orleans - Donte Stallworth, WR
Decent, but never became threat the team has hoped he'd be. (Grade: C)
14- New York Giants - Jeremy Shockey, TE
Great playmaker, oft-injured. Still was a steal at this spot (Grade: B+)
15- Tennessee - Albert Haynesworth, DT
A very good tackle on a very bad defense. (Grade: B)
16- Cleveland - William Greene, RB
Browns took a chance. It failed miserably (Grade: F)
17- Oakland - Phillip Buchanon, CB
Injured often in Oakland.. Traded to Houston.. Injured in Houston. (Grade: D)
18- Atlanta - DJ Duckett, RB
Role player has served his role very well. (Grade: B)
19- Denver - Ashlee Lelie, WR
Started slow. Has improved each year, could be No. 1 guy next year (Grade: B-)
http://cdn.channel.aol.com/channels/09/00/43454f59-003bf-00678-400cb8e1 (http://cdn.channel.aol.com/channels/09/00/43454f59-003bf-00678-400cb8e1)20- Green Bay- Jevon Walker, WR
Coming into his own as one of NFL's best before injury derailed 2006 (Grade: A-)
21- New England - Daniel Graham, TE
Has had his moments but Watson is the man in Foxboro. (Grade: C)

22- New York Jets - Bryan Thomas, DE
Could have done much better at this spot. (Grade: C-)
23- Oakland - Napoleon Harris, LB
Traded as part of Randy Moss deal. Backup in Minnesota. (Grade: C-)
24- Baltimore - Ed Reed, S
At this draft position, was the steal of the draft. (Grade: A+)
25- New Orleans - Charles Grant, DE
Still has upside in him. Will it ever come out? (Grade: C+)
26- Philadelphia - Lito Sheppard, CB
Took over for Troy Vincent/Bobby Taylor and is a Pro Bowler. (Grade: A)
27- San Francisco- Mike Rumph, CB
Missed most of last two years with injuries. (Grade: F)
28- Seattle - Jeremy Stevens, TE
Nothing special. Then again, they haven't need him much. (Grade: C-)
29- Chicago - Marc Columbo, T
Backup tackle. (Grade: C-)
30- Pittsburgh - Kendall Simmons, G
Good enough to start on a Super Bowl quality team, that's good enough for me. (Grade: B)
31- St. Louis - Robert Thomas, LB
Now with Packers. That doesn't do the Rams any good. (Grade: F)
32- Washington - Patrick Ramsey, QB
Marc Brunnel, even at age 63, still starts ahead of Ramsey. (Grade: D-)

LtFinFan66
01-31-2006, 01:02 AM
I think one thread would have been plenty!

Ebenezer
01-31-2006, 03:48 PM
Personally? The 2002 draft sucked...I told Mikey the pick should have been Roy Williams...

chubluv
01-31-2006, 04:15 PM
Personally? The 2002 draft sucked...the pick should have been Roy Williams...

I agree with you 100 %. Even that day I was saying Roy Roy Roy.

venis2k1
01-31-2006, 05:20 PM
man, its funny how everyone is a draft expert 4 years later.

mchurchfie
01-31-2006, 05:39 PM
I wanted Freeney or Roy.:ill:

Devin
01-31-2006, 06:25 PM
I agree in most part. McKinnie only gets a B because your comparing him to Williams, the guy allowed 11+ sacks 2 straight years. And averages 4-6 penalties a year.

Charles Grant had a bad year this year but improved every year from his rookie year, he had 10+ sacks 2 years in a row.

Ebenezer
01-31-2006, 06:26 PM
man, its funny how everyone is a draft expert 4 years later.
I'm not saying I'm an expert but you can ask Mikey how much I did not want TD to trade for DB and how I wanted Roy Williams.

RedEyE
01-31-2006, 06:31 PM
I disagree about Jeremy Stevens being a C-. He really has helped Seattle this season and last. I don't think that they could be in the big one without him. Granted, he's not a Shockey or a Heath Miller for that matter, but he serves his role well in Seattle and being that he was taken 28th overall, I'd say that the pick deserves a B.

Ebenezer
01-31-2006, 06:35 PM
I disagree about Jeremy Stevens being a C-. He really has helped Seattle this season and last. I don't think that they could be in the big one without him. Granted, he's not a Shockey or a Heath Miller for that matter, but he serves his role well in Seattle and being that he was taken 28th overall, I'd say that the pick deserves a B.
truthfully, those grades were generous...I would have graded many of them even lower (Carr, Jammer, Harrington, McKinnie, Ramsey, Columbo, Harris and Stallworth).

RedEyE
01-31-2006, 06:40 PM
truthfully, those grades were generous...I would have graded many of them even lower (Carr, Jammer, Harrington, McKinnie, Ramsey, Columbo, Harris and Stallworth).

True. I also would have given Mike Williams a Z-

gr8slayer
01-31-2006, 07:23 PM
grrr.... Mike Williams. Pretty sad. The guy could be great if he just lost about thirty pounds.

RedEyE
01-31-2006, 07:28 PM
His ankles cave from the weight.

Billsrock4life
01-31-2006, 08:05 PM
i agree the 2002 draft wasnt very good for the bills organization.....good news post ur i agree wit all of ur assesments of the players

lordofgun
01-31-2006, 09:54 PM
Screw Roy Williams, it should have been Ed Reed.

Ebenezer
01-31-2006, 09:56 PM
Screw Roy Williams, it should have been Ed Reed.
nobody had Reed in their top 20...there was no way he was going at 4.

lordofgun
01-31-2006, 10:18 PM
I did.

DraftBoy
01-31-2006, 11:13 PM
I had Ed Reed in my top 10 to cincy

ajsdx
02-01-2006, 08:00 AM
i thought mike williams was the best pick for the bills at the time :(

eyedog
02-01-2006, 10:16 AM
You thought they should pick a right tackle over a left tackle at #4 when they didn't have a left tackle ? Thats sounds like something Donadumb would do.

I'm not saying McKinnie is going to the HOF but he is defintely serviceable and he doesn't get a hangnail and miss games with bs injuries.

That pick alone by Dumbass set this franchise back a couple of years.

Akhippo
02-01-2006, 11:18 AM
I would have picked MW at 4. Who would have thought he was the stay puff man. LT or RT is moot. If he can maul than thats the guy for me. Thats the same talk that kept us from even considering R Williams or E Reed. 90% of positions are off limits at #4 instead of taking the best player regardless.
There should be a structured rookie cap that would let you pick the best available talent without having to pay for the slot they were picked. You pick a FS with the 4th pick you would only have to pay FS type money, not pro bowl QB money.

patmoran2006
02-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Jeremy STevens can make a name for himself by having a big game Sunday, now that Joey Porter is after him.

And looking at the numbers, your right about Stevens.. But wow, did he ever have a 'quietly succesful' season.

ddaryl
02-02-2006, 09:13 PM
I wanted Williams. I wanted OL, and I still want OL.

We could have drafted Roy Williams but the Bills would still be just as crappy today with or without him.

WHY ????

Because we still don't have any OL to build an O around, so drafting ROy Williams wouldn only have made even a slight difference in the Bills in 2006 IMO.

Freeney would have been a difference maker for the Bills, however nobody was goingot select Freeney that early.

The_Philster
02-02-2006, 09:16 PM
You thought they should pick a right tackle over a left tackle at #4 when they didn't have a left tackle ? Thats sounds like something Donadumb would do.

I'm not saying McKinnie is going to the HOF but he is defintely serviceable and he doesn't get a hangnail and miss games with bs injuries.

That pick alone by Dumbass set this franchise back a couple of years.
One of Donahoe's first statements when he came to Buffalo was that we would only go after people who wanted to come to Buffalo...McKinnie was pretty clear back then on The Best Damn Sports Show Period that he wanted no part of Buffalo