PDA

View Full Version : Superbowl Commercials

Typ0
01-26-2003, 11:50 AM
The superbowl brings with it a media frenzy associated with the commercial breaks. Post any questions you have about the superbowl commercials here. Comment on any of the commercials during the game if you would like. We'll be putting together a piece about the media campaigns of the advertisers and you could appear in that article!

Typ0
01-26-2003, 11:52 AM
Here's a partial list of what we can expect. Feel free to add to it!

Type::Company::Brand::AD
Public::Anheiser Bush::Budweiser::Clydesdales Replay
Public::Anheiser Bush::Bud Light::Sounds of the Sea
Public::Anheiser Bush::Bud Light::Worlds Strongest Man
Public::Anheiser Bush::Budweiser::Good Listener
Public::Anheiser Bush::Michelob::Resolution
Public::Anheiser Bush::Budweiser::Motormouth
Public::Anheiser Bush::Bud Light::3rd Arm
Public::AOL Time Warner::Warner Brothers::Terminator 3
Public::AOL Time Warner::Warner Brothers::Matrix Reloaded
Public::DamlierChrysler::Chrysler::I Drove All Night W/ Celene Dione
Public::Disney::Touchstone Pictures ::The Recruit
Public::FOX::20th Century Fox::"X2"
Public::FOX::20th Century Fox::Daredevil
Public::General Motors::Cadillac::17th Street
Public::H&R Block::H & R Block::Wilie Nelson
Private::Levi Strauss & Co.::Levi's Type I::Stampede
Public::Miller::Miller Light::Catfight
Public::Pepsico::Pepsi Sierra Mist::You Pick the Ending
Public::Pepsico::Gatorade::23 vs 39 W/ Michael Jordan
Public::Pepsico::Sierra Mist::Fire Hydrant
Public::Pepsico::Sierra Mist::Monkey
Public::Pepsico::Pepsi Twist::Ozzy's Nightmare
Public::Pfizer Inc.::Trident::5th Dentist Gets Bitten By Suirrel
Private::Quizno's::Quizno's::Chef Forgets Pants
Public::Reebok::Reebok::Office Linebacker
Public::Sarah Lee::Hanes::Go Tagless W/ Michael Jordan & Jackie Chan
Public::Sony::Sony Pictures::Charlie's Angles: Full Throttle
Public::Sony::Sony Pictures::Anger Management
Public::Sony::Sony Pictures ::Bad Boys II
Public::Tmp Worldwide::Monster.com::Driver
Public::Visa::Visa Check Card::Yao Ming
Public::Vivendi Universal Entertainment::Universal Pictures::The Hulk
Public::Vivendi Universal Entertainment::Universal Pictures::Bruce Almighty
Public::Yahoo::Hot Jobs - Yahoo::Rainbow Connection

The_Philster
01-26-2003, 12:04 PM
They've even got one for TDummy...featuring Tim McGraw. I think it's the motormouth one you listed.

HotRod
01-26-2003, 12:49 PM
I would prefer less commercials.

Cntrygal
01-26-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by HotRod
I would prefer less commercials.

I agree with hotrod!

Jack In Syracuse
01-26-2003, 03:22 PM
My only comment is that so many commercials have already been shown by the media as "news" items, that some of the surprise is gone. That is one thing I always enjoyed is not wanting to go to the bathroom during commercials because you didn't know what you might miss, that everyone would be talking about the next morning.

The_Philster
01-26-2003, 06:01 PM
That clown commercial was hilarious :lmao:

The_Philster
01-26-2003, 06:31 PM
Damn...and here I was gonna look for one of those shells :D

The_Philster
01-26-2003, 06:39 PM
poor Tiki :chuckle:

Typ0
01-26-2003, 06:48 PM
The Levi one was really nice.

The_Philster
01-26-2003, 06:54 PM
:lol: Gilligan

DIHARD2
01-26-2003, 07:00 PM
(YO) I hope not!!!!!!!!! I hope this doesn't catch on as a word like (what's up) did! I couldn't stand that comment either.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

Cntrygal
01-26-2003, 07:11 PM
I may have missed one or two... but from the opening kickoff to the end of the first half, I counted 42 commercials. That's too many IMO.

The_Philster
01-26-2003, 07:52 PM
Cameron Diaz is looking suh-weet :D

Typ0
01-26-2003, 08:01 PM
I liked the Tackling Dummy one...LOL.

Fat Tony
01-26-2003, 08:05 PM
Terry Tate- Office Linebacker-!

Typ0
01-26-2003, 08:27 PM
Oh I thought that was Rob Johnson.

Jack In Syracuse
01-26-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Fat Tony
Terry Tate- Office Linebacker-!

That's the best one I've seen so far. And there's not much time left so it will probably be the best one overall.

The_Philster
01-26-2003, 08:41 PM
:lolpoint: the Tim McGraw commercial

Cntrygal
01-26-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Cntrygal
I may have missed one or two... but from the opening kickoff to the end of the first half, I counted 42 commercials. That's too many IMO.

I counted 40 from the start of the 2nd half to the end of the game. I'm sure I missed some.

kgun12
01-26-2003, 11:12 PM
#1. Office LBer.
#2. Zebra, instant reply.
#3. Clown.

Gunzlingr
01-27-2003, 08:14 AM
I preferred:

Cast a way send off
Office Linebacker
Ref watching The Bacholerette on the replay monitor

Ebenezer
01-27-2003, 08:30 AM
I disregarded all commercials for movies and TV shows...makes the list a lot shorter.

Clown was the best...zebra was second.

Levis was stupid...as were many of the commercials.

Valerie
01-27-2003, 08:35 AM
I liked the Tackling Dummy one too.:) As soon as I saw Tim, I thought of Dummy. He was probably waiting for Tim to pick him up and take him home, but that annoying motormouth hopped in the car before Dummy could get there. Poor Dummy. :pet:

I missed a lot of the commercials, but out of the ones I did see, I liked the Tiki/Ronde Barber commercial, Ozzy's bad dream, the Tim McGraw one, the zebra/ref one and the Willie Nelson one.

Ebenezer
01-27-2003, 08:36 AM
Ozzy commercial was stupid.

EDS
01-27-2003, 12:35 PM
I enjoyed the commercials featuring Jennifer Garner. Beautiful.

kgun12
01-27-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
Ozzy commercial was stupid.

Ozzy and his entire group of clowns he call family is STUPID!

They would make a great commercial. Have the whole family standing there, and at the bottom of the screen have the words:

JUST SO NO TO DRUGS!

Typ0
01-27-2003, 01:03 PM
I'm working on putting something together about the commercials. If people post what they liked that's really helpful. Tell a little why you liked them if you can. Were there any that stood out to people they didn't like for any specific reasons as well?

Billz_fan
01-27-2003, 01:04 PM
Office Linebacker !! followed by the Zebras :D

Honest_Liar
01-27-2003, 03:09 PM
Being in Canada, we don't get the good Superbowl commercials, because the station that is broadcasting the game shows its own commercials. I had to watch Headline Sports (sports channel up here) to see the commercials, and by far, my favourite was the Office Linebacker, that was hilarious.

The only commercial that I saw that you are all talking about was the Ozzy Osbourne Pepsi commercial.

Michael82
01-27-2003, 03:41 PM
I was disappointed with the commercials last night. What ever happened to the Bud Bowl? The Pepsi and Coca Cola wars? The Doritos? Frito Lay?

shelby
01-27-2003, 06:17 PM
We ate and drank them all.
:bigmike:

MissBuffalo
01-27-2003, 06:28 PM
:rofl: shelby.

I thought the office LB was the best. I also liked ABC's spin-off of the Miller Light commercial with the two men.

fabolouspaul
01-28-2003, 10:54 AM
Did you guys like the NFL Gameday for PS2 commercial when there was 1 slice of pizza left and the guy picked it up and everyone tackled him? Other than that, i like the office LB commerical. Also i would like them to bring back the Bud Bowl!

justasportsfan
01-28-2003, 11:30 AM
It may not have been a SB commercial but Miller Lite commercial with the two women beats them all :D

Cntrygal
01-28-2003, 12:32 PM
Miss B... I agree! lol.. but they should have gone down to boxers at least. :D

paul - I liked that one too.. esp since I was eating pizza at the time. lol

Typ0
01-28-2003, 07:12 PM
What last years Super Bowl ads lacked in expressiveness they made up for this year in filth and disgust. One would expect them to get closer to the line in a more liberal media environment than was last years game. Unfortunatelly, getting closer to the line this time often meant grotesque imagery and filth. The biggest offender featured a driverless truck wreaking havoc on unsuspecting citizens. Other ads had denstists being attacked by squirrels or someone vomiting. A little of this can be funny but going to far or too much becomes tired very fast.

Of all the ads that were popular in most polls, I found the clydesdale replay ad to be the worst. It was very uneventful. The most memorable ones were from Sony, Reebok and Federal Express. I found the ads to be dissapointing and boring overall. Perhaps that was a product of a much lighter dose of tech sector brands and too many car commercials. There were some that stood out but even those only looked good because of what else was being aired.

There is a theory those things most offensive are the most effective in advertising because they draw the greatest emotional response and are therefore easiest to remember. If it was my brand I would seriously question if I was going to associate an image of it driving over america, naked chefs or causing someone to vomit.

I used a four-point likert scale to rate all the commercials on theme, effect and drama. Theme is the commercials intertextuality. Things about football would score well in the theme department as would ads that referred to other material such as other ads, films or television. Effect is the commercials ability to sell the product and drama is the intensity of emotional response the ad draws. These results are not scientific.

RESULTS (http://www.billszone.com/temp/comrat.htm)