PDA

View Full Version : LT is NOT a need position!

X-Era
01-31-2006, 07:05 AM
Anyone who watched a roving Jason Taylor or Julius Peppers one on one versus Jason Peters knows that Peters can absolutely play LT and probably should.

Like Eric Winston, Peters was a TE. But Peters was the best o-lineman this year bar none. He has the strength, footwork, and speed to play against the top DE's. AND HE PROVED IT.

Thats the biggest difference between Peters and ANY of the draft prospects. None of those guys have played against Taylor or Peppers. We have a guy who faced them did an outstanding job against them. So why in the world would we want to replace Peters with a rookie?

Many will say they dont, that they want to simply get another Peters or better. Fine, but its an un proven guy and more importantly, we have a PROVEN guy to play against the top DE's at LT.

So you must be arguing for a RT, which I agree with but at 8? If Brick falls, OK fine, you just cant pass up a guy thats that good. But after him, I wouldnt take ANY other OT in the 1st at 8.

Top of the 2nd? Whitworth? TrueBlood? pray for Justice? Sure. But not at 8.

The best RT is Justice bar none. But I could argue you can get a very good one on the 3rd.

Id rather stick with a proven young vet, who knows the DE's in our division than a rookie at our most important OL position, LT. Thats Peters. Furthermore, a big difference between RT and LT is the LT tend to be slimmer and faster. Guys like Eric Winston arent really cut out for RT. So the top OT's may or may not be worthy to play RT if Peters plays L.

I just dont see LT as a need. I overall feel the INSIDE line positions are a bigger need that OT at all.

DBrown77
01-31-2006, 09:28 AM
I have never seen Peters play left tackle, but i can see him making the transition. We need to get him signed long term soon

Mudflap1
01-31-2006, 09:40 AM
I'm okay with Peters being one of our tackles. However, we need linemen, and good ones at that. Left tackle is a need position. If we want to protect our precious J.P., we better have a stud over there. Time to stop being cheap on the offensive and defensive lines and bring in a stud. Let's stop with the amateur hour stuff of how we can mold Peters and/or Gandy into a perennial all pro left tackle. Go out and get a real one. Peters can be the other tackle. Gandy can be a backup. Get a guard and/or center and we've dramatically improved the line. Done. End of story.

Jon

THATHURMANATOR
01-31-2006, 10:25 AM
I would disagree. Keep Peters on the right side. Lets not push our luck with an undrafted Te. Gandy is average at best.

patmoran2006
01-31-2006, 02:05 PM
Peters was solid.. compared to what we had.. I think he'll be a good RT.
I want a STUD at LT. and a new left guard, Anderson cant pass block to save his life. I can live with Preston at centers for Teague, neither wow me.

If you really want to improve the O Line in ONE year.. Do WHATEVER it takes to sign the center Bentley from N.O.. Move Preston to ANderson's spot.. and draft the BEST LT you can get.. If BRICK doesnt fall to 8. Then trade down to a spot you know you'll get another tackle you covet, and pick up the extra pick.

dannyek71
01-31-2006, 03:16 PM
Id like to see us take OL with our 1st 2 picks assuming somone of GREAT value is still around