PDA

View Full Version : Devil's advocate...

RedEyE
01-31-2006, 09:23 AM
Cutler on the rise, a few others on the way down...

Let's just say, for ****s and giggles, that Vince Young is available when the Bills go to pick at #8 - You're the GM, do you pull the trigger?

Gunzlingr
01-31-2006, 09:30 AM
maybe to trade.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
01-31-2006, 09:36 AM
Absol-*****ing-utely. Would not hesitate for a second.

BUT...............................
Unless something earth shattering happens, he won't be there.

RedEyE
01-31-2006, 09:36 AM
I think he has too much of a question mark lingering over his head. A lot of teams know this and this may cause Young to slide down quite a bit.

Still, his performance in the Rose Bowl certainly demands a great amount of respect. If you let him fall, you take a chance of a team like Miami pushing up to grab him. If you grab him, you force roster issues if a trade can't be had.

RedEyE
01-31-2006, 09:39 AM
Let us not forget Aaron Rodgers last year.

Mudflap1
01-31-2006, 09:43 AM
I would trade down for more picks (multiple first round?). The ideal would be if we tagged and bagged Nate for a 1st rounder, then somebody like Young was around. We could trade him for more picks, and end up with 2 to 3 total first round picks and/or more picks later on. Take as many offensive and defensive linemen as possible, then fill out at other positions like CB, TE, and LB for depth.

Jon

mysticsoto
01-31-2006, 09:43 AM
maybe to trade.

Agreed. If Brick or Mario Williams is gone only though. But if Vince were available to us, we could probably get someone to move up and take him...not sure who though??? Detroit? They would be ideal, as we could take their 1st along with another draft pick (a 3rd? They are only moving 1 up). This would allow us to still get Brick or Mario on top of that. Are the Cowboys tired of Drew yet and starting to think of their future? :) Didn't Culpepper want out of Minnesota? Arizona maybe? I'm sure they could find someone interested.

McBFLO
01-31-2006, 10:04 AM
I would trade down for more picks (multiple first round?). The ideal would be if we tagged and bagged Nate for a 1st rounder, then somebody like Young was around. We could trade him for more picks, and end up with 2 to 3 total first round picks and/or more picks later on. Take as many offensive and defensive linemen as possible, then fill out at other positions like CB, TE, and LB for depth.

Jon
I like that idea, especially the part about Clements. He's a good corner, but not among the elite. He had a terrible year this past year. If Young somehow managed to slide to #8 (which is incredibly unlikely), trade away that pick. A team who's in need of a QB would be willing to give up quite a bit to get him. But again, no way in hell he slides to #8. If any QB slides, it's likely to be Leinart, IMO. Where does that Michael Huff look slated to go. I think somewhere around the middle of the 1st round???? If we trade back to somewhere around there, he could be our replacement for Nate.

Good post, Jon

TacklingDummy
01-31-2006, 10:11 AM
Trade your best CB and then draft a CB that you hope will be good. That's a great idea.

RedEyE
01-31-2006, 10:16 AM
Aaron Rodgers was projected to go #1 overall by many big draft boards last year. Where did he end up? Anyone, anyone........

Gunzlingr
01-31-2006, 10:17 AM
Trade your best CB and then draft a CB that you hope will be good. That's a great idea.

Almost as good as paying your corner more money than any other Corner in the league (like he wants) when he had a season. Yeah, that makes sense.

RedEyE
01-31-2006, 10:18 AM
The Clements situation smells a lot like the Jeff Burris situation of old. We all know how that turned out.

EricStratton
01-31-2006, 10:19 AM

mysticsoto
01-31-2006, 10:21 AM

You forgot, "and you don't break the bank b'cse of this..." Keep in mind that...we are rebuilding now. With salary cap, a team can go from being bad in one year to being great the next, but still...fact is, everything we have will be new. New coaches, new schemes and alot of new personnel/players will be in training camp by July. Besides, Nate is more interested in getting paid than in being in Buffalo. And he got burned way to much to warrant the money that he wants. Let another sucker pay that type of cash...

RedEyE
01-31-2006, 10:29 AM

Daz right. Green Bay. Thanks ES.

Young seems to have more talent then Rodgers (IMO - different styles), but there is definitly more of question in his abilities then Rodgers had this time last year. Smoke and mirrors? Probably...

although....it still might be enough to drop him to 8 overall.

Does JP compare?

DarbyTheDinosaur
01-31-2006, 10:37 AM
Draft him and try to make him a receiver...a la Matt Jones.

Actually, we have bigger fish to fry than QB...Losman is still untested and therefore unproven IMO. It pains me to say it but...pass on Young.

LifetimeBillsFan
01-31-2006, 12:40 PM
Detroit, Arizona and possibly Dallas would LOVE to have a shot at Young, although I doubt that he would still be on the board at # 8---figure that the Saints, Titans, Jets and Oakland are teams picking before # 8 that would be interested in taking a QB with Leinart, Cutler and Young being the top 3 QBs.

If by some miracle Young got past those 4 teams, the Bills might have a shot at trading down and picking up an additional 1st round pick, but it wouldn't be in this draft. Only Denver currently has two first rounders. They might be interested in moving up to get Davis, the stud TE or a pass-rushing DE like Mario Williams, possibly Hali or Kiwi.

Denny Green needs a young QB and did a great job developing Culpepper, so he might be interested in Young, but, as we know from last season, he's a pain-in-the-butt to deal with. Garcia isn't the answer for the Lions and the fans want Harrington out, but will Millen give up on those two and can he afford to take a QB who will take time to develop when his O-line is horrid? Parcells apparently doesn't think too much of Henson and Romo doesn't strike most people as a long-term answer at QB for Dallas behind Bledsoe, but Jerry Jones apparently loves Henson and has a lot of money tied up in him and Bledsoe in the short term, so Dallas might not be as interested in Young as they should be (although Young in Dallas would be a PR coup for the Cowpokers).

I keep saying it, but the reality is that it's easy for fans to say that their team should trade up or trade down, but in reality that is a lot harder for any team's front office to pull off than most people realize.

L.A. Playa
01-31-2006, 12:49 PM
Actually I read that Matt Leinhart is the one falling with Cutler rising, so at 8 do you draft Matt Lenhart ??

Bill Cody
01-31-2006, 12:59 PM
Why would we even consider Young or Leinart when we've got JP?:dance2:

patmoran2006
01-31-2006, 01:56 PM
THIS IS EXTREMELY HYPOTHETICAL:

But.. If Vince Young was on the board at #8. I"d have his name on my draft card before they finished announcing that the "bills are on the clock." Best case, he's a more mobile Donavan McNab.. Worse case, he is an upgrade at the most IMPORTANT spot in the field. Did one game alone (Rose Bowl) convince me he's beter than JP ever will be? Absolutely.

Leinhart, I'm not a fan of and have never been.. He's gutty and poised, I'll give him that. But he played in maybe the greatest system offense in NCAA history.

Dr. Who
01-31-2006, 02:59 PM
If Vince Young is available, I think you've got to take him and keep him. It leaves us scrambling to fill other needs, but that's a risk you should take. He won't be there, though.

hydro014
01-31-2006, 03:13 PM
Actually I read that Matt Leinhart is the one falling with Cutler rising, so at 8 do you draft Matt Lenhart ??

I've read the same thing, dont know how true it is, but even if he falls i cant see him getting out of the top 10.

I dont draft a QB at 8, i think JP will be ok, just get him a OL. So i would look to trade the pick. This is a draft that has strong points for some of our team needs, OL, and LB. So get more day 1 picks.

TacklingDummy
01-31-2006, 03:36 PM
Matt Leinart or JP Losman. Yeah, thats a tough choice.

Bert102176
01-31-2006, 05:59 PM
I would not draft any QB's this year, JP I think will be the guy, then we have Kelly as back up and we have more pressing needs then QB right now, we should use our picks on them other positions like OL and DL, an OLB, WR, CB I feel they are the positions we need to look at oh and SS and FS cause ours are up there in age.

Bert102176
01-31-2006, 06:01 PM
besides I feel Matt Leinart is the next Ryan Leaf

RedEyE
01-31-2006, 06:07 PM
The Bills are more than likely going to draft a QB this year. Or at the very least, find a guy in Free Agency. It might not be in round one, but they will be looking for someone to fill-in at depth. Shane Matthews is on his way out.

The_Philster
02-05-2006, 05:22 AM
Cutler on the rise, a few others on the way down...

Let's just say, for ****s and giggles, that Vince Young is available when the Bills go to pick at #8 - You're the GM, do you pull the trigger?
nope...for one, it sends a bad message to the team and fans that the team isn't committed to JP ...for another, we can't tie up the money for 2 first round picks in the QB position

tat2dmike77
02-05-2006, 05:29 AM
I'll pass on vince young.

To much money to wrap up in 2 QB's. There are more pressing needs then QB this year.

If JP stinks it up again and the bills stink it up as well and the team ends up with a top 10 pick in 07 Troy Smith will be available and then i say you get him cause then it will be a case of JP is just not gonna pan out.

But lets give JP a chance this season for the whole season Barring an injury.

jamze132
02-05-2006, 06:40 AM
I can't see Buffalo drafting a QB at all, reguardless of who may drop to 8. There are more pressing needs right now. And by the way, no one exactly knows how JP will turn out. He hasn't had a fair shake yet. Give the kid some resemblence of an O-line and then decide if he's the chosen one. I think if Brick is off the board by the time we pick, we have to get Ngata. If they are both gone, trade down and aquire as many day 1 picks as possible. And I support the TAG and TRADE Clements idea. See ya Nate.

casdhf
02-05-2006, 07:15 AM
Vince Young will be a bust of Andre Ware propotions.