PDA

View Full Version : Can YOU find a reason to be optimistic?

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
01-31-2006, 09:26 AM
I am having trouble.....here's a list of reasons why it is difficult.

1)Our front office is, at the very least, of questionable ability.
Free agency and the draft will be the most immediate litmus test, but we'll
need at least 2 years to make a judgement.
We don't have much breathing room under the cap to make moves. If we
want to change the complexion of this team quickly, we need F/A's.
2) A new head coach who hasn't had a record of success has to make
most fans uneasy.
3) Quarterback---a huge questionmark at this point. I am trying to think of
another team with a worse situation than ours.....and I can't.
Yes, there are other teams with bad situations, and maybe Detroit is the
closest, but most other teams didn't select a QB in the first round within the
last two years.
4) Runningback---Does anyone else question Willis' heart? Apart from that,
I am not sold on our depth. Gates might change my mind
in training camp, but until Shaud Williams slides to the bottom
of the depth chart, I remain disenchanted.
5) Receivers--If Moulds is gone, Evans is our only proven, go-to guy.
While I like Parrish and Aiken, the rest of our wideouts could
fall off the face of the NFL earth and noone would notice.
6) Tight Ends--health is the main concern for me....why can't we catch a break?
Everett hasn't proven himself one way or another yet.
7) OLINE--to put it bluntly, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if we cut EVERY Olineman
on our roster and start from scratch.
8) DLINE--see above
9) Linebackers---Spike's injury can change a player forever, we won't know if he
will be the same player for several more months. Fletcher could
gone, Posey is too average, and the young guys are solid but not
even close to being above average.
10) Secondary--underachieving seems to be part of their gameplan. There is
more skill and potential here than other parts of the team, but
until someone lights a fire under them, they will continue to
underachieve.
Ok, so I do feel good about our kickers. But our return game has cooled off, and
we don't know if that will get back to prior form.
--And then I find out that ticket prices are going up....that's the icing on the cake.

All in all, it doesn't seem like a very bright picture.
And I am trying to look at the bright side.
Can anyone help?

mysticsoto
01-31-2006, 09:36 AM
I can find a couple of things to be optimistic:

1) Tom Donahoe is gone
2) Mike Mularkey is gone
3) Jerry Gray is gone

Philagape
01-31-2006, 09:40 AM
We won't win until we upgrade the O-line and stop the run

Gunzlingr
01-31-2006, 09:43 AM
I have no reason to be pessimistic at this point. Talk to me couple weeks into the season.

Night Train
01-31-2006, 09:43 AM
We won't win until we upgrade the O-line and stop the run

Ding,ding ding. We have a winner.

I'll wait until training camp to see what we have. Lots of player movement until then.

mysticsoto
01-31-2006, 09:50 AM

I'll wait until training camp to see what we have. Lots of player movement until then.

But, but, but...if we take this stance, then how can we scream "The Sky is falling!" every time a change happens?

OpIv37
01-31-2006, 10:00 AM
I have no reason to be pessimistic at this point. Talk to me couple weeks into the season.

no reason to be pessimistic? Did you read the first post in this thread? That's plenty of doubt. Plus we have a no-name Defensive Coordinator and only $6 million in cap space to fill a plethora of holes.

I think we're ****ed- no better than 3rd in the division (I predicted last a few weeks ago but that was before I realized how much of a mess the NY Jets are).

EDS
01-31-2006, 10:03 AM

Agreed.

BAM
01-31-2006, 10:14 AM
I'm always optimistic. I was born that way and shall remain that way 'till I die.

Plus, football is not live or die for me. Much healthier to not let it effect my mood as much. :D

Oh and Marv is back, plus we have hired a pretty good offensive coordinator.

OpIv37
01-31-2006, 12:11 PM
I can find a couple of things to be optimistic:

1) Tom Donahoe is gone
2) Mike Mularkey is gone
3) Jerry Gray is gone

Agreed.

You guys are amazing. I wish I had this ability to look reality straight in the face and just ignore it. I could repeat everything that's in this thread, but it's all been said already. How can you guys possibly look at those things and go "meh, it will be fine".

I swear- some of you could wake up a quadripeligic after your entire family was killed and all your worldly possessions were destroyed in a a house explosion and you'd still say "well at least I'm still alive" as you move yourself down the nursing home hallway by blowing into a straw.

OpIv37
01-31-2006, 12:14 PM
But, but, but...if we take this stance, then how can we scream "The Sky is falling!" every time a change happens?

Not every change- firing MM, JG and TD were good changes.

But when the team:

-loses starters and replaces them with back-ups or unproven players
-hires HC's with no record or with losing records
-hires inexperienced/unknown people into high level coaching positions
-makes eye candy attempts to improve positions of need without really making an improvement
-goes cheap on coaches or players

the fans can and should ***** all they want.

Tatonka
01-31-2006, 12:15 PM

aiden says..

\/

Tatonka
01-31-2006, 12:16 PM
i actually am indifferent to the whole thing now..

i was really really pissed a week ago..

but now i will just wait.. i will give the new staff a chance because it is useless to wish and want.. the guys at one bills drive dont give a **** about me or my opinion.

L.A. Playa
01-31-2006, 12:22 PM
our record for the 2006 season so far is 0-0 and we are tied for first with every team in the league

OpIv37
01-31-2006, 12:26 PM
our record for the 2006 season so far is 0-0 and we are tied for first with every team in the league

oh please- can you really look at our roster and our staff and say we're equal with every team in the league? Despite starting a season with the same record, do you really think the Jets and Titans have an equal chance of winning the SB next year as the Broncos and Seahawks?

And to prove my point: If you had to pick one of the following as our first game of the 06 season, which would you take:

Houston
NE
Pittsburgh
Chicago

I think we all know the answer to that question.

justasportsfan
01-31-2006, 12:28 PM
Little is known about the new structure of the team. There's a 50/50 chance that they will succeed or fail . That's a better chance than what we would've had if TD was running the show. a 50% chance is reason enough to be optimistic compared to 0 chance.

L.A. Playa
01-31-2006, 12:32 PM
so Op you would choose to just be upset from now until September ?? Sorry football is not that important to be stressing about it is stricly entertainment, hopefully they will do well if not oh well, I am not going to any games in 2006 so doesnt affect my pocketbook or my lifestyle or my blood pressure.

Like Justa said there are too many "ifs" in the offseason to stress about anything at this point and even "if" they dont make the changes that all the professional GM's on this board want, what the **** can ya do any way ?? Either a dont watch any football ever again, or B just root for the team anyway.

*****ing and complaining doesnt make the team change anything and just raises your blood pressure creating health problem and premature death and ejaculation.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
01-31-2006, 12:34 PM
Little is known about the new structure of the team. There's a 50/50 chance that they will succeed or fail . That's a better chance than what we would've had if TD was running the show. a 50% chance is reason enough to be optimistic compared to 0 chance.

I think you are simplifying too much here. Do you honestly think there is just as
good a chance that we will succeed?

What do we have in our favor?

And you can rule out luck, favorable bounces, and referee bias, because those things are unknown (except in a negative light) in Buffalo sports.

L.A. Playa
01-31-2006, 12:36 PM
oh please- can you really look at our roster and our staff and say we're equal with every team in the league? Despite starting a season with the same record, do you really think the Jets and Titans have an equal chance of winning the SB next year as the Broncos and Seahawks?

And to prove my point: If you had to pick one of the following as our first game of the 06 season, which would you take:

Houston
NE
Pittsburgh
Chicago

I think we all know the answer to that question.

First 3 games in my book would be Pittsburgh, Chicago, NE start with the best and finish strong, so what exactly was your point again ??

mysticsoto
01-31-2006, 12:37 PM
Not every change- firing MM, JG and TD were good changes.

But when the team:

-loses starters and replaces them with back-ups or unproven players
-hires HC's with no record or with losing records
-hires inexperienced/unknown people into high level coaching positions
-makes eye candy attempts to improve positions of need without really making an improvement
-goes cheap on coaches or players

the fans can and should ***** all they want.

Op,

I get the feeling that there is one and only one way any of this coach hiring could have happened to make you happy (if even) and even then, if you got exactly what you wanted, you would still probably shrug your shoulders and exclaim that you're on the fence.

Fact of the matter is there weren't alot of coaching choices to choose from. But we can't dwell on what could've been. We now need to move forward, support the team, and the coaching staff and make any adjustments we may need as we go.

There is no point to getting upset or wishing for something that we don't have. We just have to move on. Complaining doesn't change anything either.

I will wait to see who we draft and what FAs we get along with what systems we are going to implement before I make any judgements.

Let's talk when training camp comes around and we can then see where we are with things...that's about the point I'll start making some judgements on the team...

justasportsfan
What do we have in our favor?

A sure failure under the TD regime is gone. even a 30% is better than a sure failure.

OpIv37
so Op you would choose to just be upset from now until September ?? Sorry football is not that important to be stressing about it is stricly entertainment, hopefully they will do well if not oh well, I am not going to any games in 2006 so doesnt affect my pocketbook or my lifestyle or my blood pressure.

Like Justa said there are too many "ifs" in the offseason to stress about anything at this point and even "if" they dont make the changes that all the professional GM's on this board want, what the **** can ya do any way ?? Either a dont watch any football ever again, or B just root for the team anyway.

*****ing and complaining doesnt make the team change anything and just raises your blood pressure creating health problem and premature death and ejaculation.

actually for me complaining lowers my blood pressure. Some people can pick and choose what bothers them- I can't: either it bothers me, or it doesn't, and when I see the Bills doing stupid **** it really bothers me. The only way I feel better about it is by *****ing- otherwise I bottle it all up and that's what affects my health and attitude.

OpIv37
01-31-2006, 12:39 PM
Op,

I get the feeling that there is one and only one way any of this coach hiring could have happened to make you happy (if even) and even then, if you got exactly what you wanted, you would still probably shrug your shoulders and exclaim that you're on the fence.

Fact of the matter is there weren't alot of coaching choices to choose from. But we can't dwell on what could've been. We now need to move forward, support the team, and the coaching staff and make any adjustments we may need as we go.

There is no point to getting upset or wishing for something that we don't have. We just have to move on. Complaining doesn't change anything either.

I will wait to see who we draft and what FAs we get along with what systems we are going to implement before I make any judgements.

Let's talk when training camp comes around and we can then see where we are with things...that's about the point I'll start making some judgements on the team...

Don't hold your breath on FA's- we have about $6 million in cap room right now and might be able to get another $5-10 million with restructures/cuts, but that's not enough for significant action.

BigZ
01-31-2006, 12:40 PM
I swear- some of you could wake up a quadripeligic after your entire family was killed and all your worldly possessions were destroyed in a a house explosion and you'd still say "well at least I'm still alive" as you move yourself down the nursing home hallway by blowing into a straw.

Well maybe we would.

I guess you'd probably decide it wasn't worth going on and jump from the 10 floor of ECMC.

To some people the glass is half full, to some it's half empty. To you, it must be "I didn't want a f***ing glass, I wanted a bucket".

Enjoy.

justasportsfan
01-31-2006, 12:40 PM
actually for me complaining lowers my blood pressure. Some people can pick and choose what bothers them- I can't: either it bothers me, or it doesn't, and when I see the Bills doing stupid **** it really bothers me. The only way I feel better about it is by *****ing- otherwise I bottle it all up and that's what affects my health and attitude.what proof do you have that what they are doing is stupid **** other than your opinion?

justasportsfan
01-31-2006, 12:44 PM
I'll take that over your "this house is gonna burn down and we will all die as soon as we dig the first hole on the ground " attitude .

Drive 4 Five
01-31-2006, 12:45 PM
I'm glad Marv Levy is back. As far as his experience, and his decision for HC, I can find contentment knowing that he knows a whole hell of alot more about football and what it takes to be a successful HC in this league than any of us will ever know. Right? I think we have some solid starters on the roster. Alot is hinging on Nate Clements and Eric Moulds. I know many of you think that Nate is overrated and Eric is over the hill, and would prefer to see them both in different uniforms this coming season, but I believe they will be instrumental in the future of this franchise one way or another and I am anxious to see how it all plays out. That said, I hope they will both be back. I'm thrilled that TKO will be back and I'm excited about the futures of our young players, Losman, Evans, and McGahee. Granted I am disappointed with the effort McGahee put forth last season, but we all know what he is capable of. I, unlike the majority here, feel that two years on the roster, and seven or eight games starting is WAY too soon to be going on about how Losman is a bust. No offense but some of you need to get your heads out of your asses. Now I am not saying he is or is not going to be a decent starter in this league, I just know that it is too soon to tell. So therefore I'm optimistic. There is no more uncertainty about him than with Boller, Carr and Harrington, and those guys are going on their fifth year. WTF? So basically I feel like we have some good talent on this team to build around and I have to believe that Levy knows that success begins and ends with the front lines. If you all remeber correctly, he coached and worked with some of the best to ever paly the game.

So? Take a deep breath, relax.

L.A. Playa
actually for me complaining lowers my blood pressure. Some people can pick and choose what bothers them- I can't: either it bothers me, or it doesn't, and when I see the Bills doing stupid **** it really bothers me. The only way I feel better about it is by *****ing- otherwise I bottle it all up and that's what affects my health and attitude.

I see you found out it was ok to post at your new job LOL

OpIv37
what proof do you have that what they are doing is stupid **** other than your opinion?

what proof do you have for being optimistic other than your opinion?

mysticsoto
01-31-2006, 12:46 PM
Don't hold your breath on FA's- we have about $6 million in cap room right now and might be able to get another $5-10 million with restructures/cuts, but that's not enough for significant action.

Oh, I don't know. We could probably get Bentley for around $3 million-ish for Center. Duke could probably play LG or my preference, we could draft Davin Joseph in the 2nd to play LG. We could get lucky and get Brick in the 8th pick, but if we don't, we could still get a serviceable tackle in the 3rd. An optimistic picture would be that MW ends up restructuring/taking a cut and working out well at LG, but I wouldn't count on that.

Then, we do need some Dline help...probably from FA, again, a few miliion ($4-5 maybe) for a DT. Those are our main needs in FA. Maybe a backup TE (those are cheap).

I think that's doable just fine. If we lose Moulds, the cap space that we save would undoubtedly go toward another WR.

What's so not-doable about any of this?

OpIv37
01-31-2006, 12:46 PM
I see you found out it was ok to post at your new job LOL

long story- but to sum up, a contract didn't get signed so we have no work to do. Once we get up and running (hopefully in a day or two) I won't be posting during the day, at least for a while.

mysticsoto
01-31-2006, 12:47 PM
what proof do you have for being optimistic other than your opinion?

Dumb ass playcalling Mularkey is not running the show!!!

mysticsoto
01-31-2006, 12:49 PM

LOL! Okay, but most people I know drink passionfruit juice to lower their blood pressure.

OpIv37
01-31-2006, 12:50 PM
Oh, I don't know. We could probably get Bentley for around $3 million-ish for Center. Duke could probably play LG or my preference, we could draft Davin Joseph in the 2nd to play LG. We could get lucky and get Brick in the 8th pick, but if we don't, we could still get a serviceable tackle in the 3rd. An optimistic picture would be that MW ends up restructuring/taking a cut and working out well at LG, but I wouldn't count on that.

Then, we do need some Dline help...probably from FA, again, a few miliion ($4-5 maybe) for a DT. Those are our main needs in FA. Maybe a backup TE (those are cheap).

I think that's doable just fine. If we lose Moulds, the cap space that we save would undoubtedly go toward another WR.

What's so not-doable about any of this?

For starters, you forgot about Nate- we either need to re-sign or replace him cuz I don't think any of the other CB's on our roster are capable of starting in his place (I'd prefer to trade and replace). You also didn't account for the fact that some of that $6 million needs to go to signing our draft picks, and regardless of who we get at #8 they will want a significant chunk.

justasportsfan
01-31-2006, 12:50 PM
what proof do you have for being optimistic other than your opinion? I have years of failures under TD to prove that . We may or may not succeed but am willing to give them the benefit of a doubt . That's more than enough than a sure failure under the past regime.

You obviously have decided that we will fail without any proof (classic OP attitude) . If BB can go from a failure in Cleveleand to one of the best coaches in NFL history, why is it impossible for Jauron to succeed? I forgot, youre a poster child for Murphy's Law.

Your turn. Where's you proof?

L.A. Playa
01-31-2006, 12:53 PM
you are allowed to vent and to voice your frustrations, its a normal part of life. The question is if you find no reason at all to be optimistic in something, then why continue to do it or in this case follow the team ??

I guarantee that in every NFL city even New Orleans there is some source of optimism for 2006.

I dont think anyone is 100% optimistic but no one should be 100 % pessimistic.

By the way op you should change your screename just doesnt seem right that your name sshould start the same way the word optimistic does

OpIv37
01-31-2006, 12:55 PM
I have years of failures under TD to prove that . Wmay or may not succeed but am willing to give them the benefit of a doubt . That's more than enough than a sure failure under the past regime.

You obviously have decided that we will fail without any proof (classic OP attitude) .

Your turn. Where's you proof?

we gave GW the benefit of the doubt despite no experience. Same with MM. Look how that worked out.

proof- it's all in the first post in this thread. to sum up yet again: losing HC, inexperienced assistants, holes at OL, holes at DL, bad QB situation, limited cap space, Nate Clements either gone or sucking up cap space, Moulds commanding top dollar for mediocre performance, McGahee lacking heart....

None of those are opinions. All of those are facts. Those are a LOT of factors to overcome in order to win. Do you see any of the teams in the playoffs this year with that many/those types of issues? Of course not.

Is any of this definitive? Does it prove we will lose? of course not, but it certainly points in that direction and it's no less subjective than your assertation taht we're better off just cuz we don't have MM and TD.

mysticsoto
01-31-2006, 12:56 PM
For starters, you forgot about Nate- we either need to re-sign or replace him cuz I don't think any of the other CB's on our roster are capable of starting in his place (I'd prefer to trade and replace). You also didn't account for the fact that some of that $6 million needs to go to signing our draft picks, and regardless of who we get at #8 they will want a significant chunk.

If Nate is traded away, we get a 1st rd pick for him. We could use that to grab another top CB. Yes, he would be a rookie and new. Lucky for us, our DC was a DB coach and can help him develop. Kevin Thomas has looked good when he is healthy. If he can remain healthy, he will undoubtedly make the line up as he is a playmaker. Lastly, if we upgrade the Dline, deficiencies in CBs don't show as much. Look at the Patriots did with nobodys and backups...and even backups of backups as well as converted WRs. If we can get Mario Williams, it'll change our secondary completely!

Is there stuff to do, yes, and that's what Marv is getting paid for. But let's wait to see what happens to then criticize rather than preemptively criticize what hasn't happened yet.

justasportsfan
01-31-2006, 01:03 PM
we gave GW the benefit of the doubt despite no experience. Same with MM. Look how that worked out.

proof- it's all in the first post in this thread. to sum up yet again: losing HC, inexperienced assistants, holes at OL, holes at DL, bad QB situation, limited cap space, Nate Clements either gone or sucking up cap space, Moulds commanding top dollar for mediocre performance, McGahee lacking heart....

None of those are opinions. All of those are facts. Those are a LOT of factors to overcome in order to win. Do you see any of the teams in the playoffs this year with that many/those types of issues? Of course not.

Is any of this definitive? Does it prove we will lose? of course not, but it certainly points in that direction and it's no less subjective than your assertation taht we're better off just cuz we don't have MM and TD.Jauron is not a first time HC. While he could end up being a bust or the next BB (I'll settle for the next Marv) we don't know any of that for sure.

You're facts are nothing but what happened in the past. If you are gonna make the past your basis under a different regime, how do you explain Dillon? Wasn't he supposed to be done and a headcase? How did he do when they won the sb under a NEW HC?

Your problem is, you always want to use our past as a basis to automatically fail even though you DON"T know for sure how these players you complained about will perform under a new HC. Wait I forgot , you know for sure but have no proof other than your opinion.

BTW. please look up the defenition of "FACT". There are no facts yet since the season hasn't even begun. Everything you said was the past. Stop playing Ms. Cleo because anything that has yet to happen are not facts.

Seems to me you're the only one whose so sure we'll fail. So my question again is, if you're so sure , show us some proof.

BAM
01-31-2006, 02:41 PM
You guys are amazing. I wish I had this ability to look reality straight in the face and just ignore it. I could repeat everything that's in this thread, but it's all been said already. How can you guys possibly look at those things and go "meh, it will be fine".

There is much more to life than material/worldly possessions. When some of you finally decide to stop complaining and crying about everything, you might realize this.

OpIv37
01-31-2006, 04:00 PM
Jauron is not a first time HC. While he could end up being a bust or the next BB (I'll settle for the next Marv) we don't know any of that for sure.

You're facts are nothing but what happened in the past. If you are gonna make the past your basis under a different regime, how do you explain Dillon? Wasn't he supposed to be done and a headcase? How did he do when they won the sb under a NEW HC?

Your problem is, you always want to use our past as a basis to automatically fail even though you DON"T know for sure how these players you complained about will perform under a new HC. Wait I forgot , you know for sure but have no proof other than your opinion.

BTW. please look up the defenition of "FACT". There are no facts yet since the season hasn't even begun. Everything you said was the past. Stop playing Ms. Cleo because anything that has yet to happen are not facts.

Seems to me you're the only one whose so sure we'll fail. So my question again is, if you're so sure , show us some proof.

Where is your proof for optimism? You don't have any facts either. You have one example in Dillon and one example in BB, which are also based on past events. Right now, all we have to go on is two things:
1. Past performance
2. the present state of the team.

How you can look at those and be optimistic based on two examples from a "dynasty" team that is clearly the exception and not the rule, I don't know.

Do I have PROOF that we'll do bad? No, I don't. But at this point, the evidence is certainly pointing in that direction. I just don't understand how you can ignore all the negative things about the team that have been mentioned in this thread because one time, one team overcame similar issues.

OpIv37
01-31-2006, 04:03 PM
and one more thing- every year, everyone from message board nerds like us to nationally syndicated TV and newspaper reporters predict the order of how teams will finish in the upcoming season. They don't have proof- all they can do is look at the teams and go by their current state and the past performance of the people invovled, and that's what I'm doing here. Sometimes the predictions are right, sometimes they're wrong.

I'm saying that anyone who looks at this team objectively is going to come to negative conclusions. Take off the red-and-blue glasses for a second and get a good look at the team.

feelthepain
01-31-2006, 04:48 PM
what proof do you have that what they are doing is stupid **** other than your opinion?

Well there sure seem to be a lot of people that think that the Bills are going the wrong direction and it's not just some of the Bill fans you are trying to convince otherwise. Be positive, good for you, but stop being blind.

Devin
01-31-2006, 04:49 PM
:rolleyes:

tat2dmike77
01-31-2006, 04:52 PM
All i can do i hope and :pray:

When the bills do something stupid yeah i go :wtf: but what can i do? I'm not gonna turn my back on the bills. Yeah i might cuss some more or maybe not goto the bar as much to watch the games but i will support the team.

I'm not gonna get worked up about a coach and his staff. To be honest i don't follow coaches to much. It's like taking a chance on someone. You never know how a coach is going to do. Everyon screamed we need experience and the bills hired DJ. Now alot of people are saying he sucks. Well i know alot of bills fans were not happy with the hire it's cool. But at some point you gotta give the guy atleast a chance.

I mean if the bills start off 0-8 then i can see callin for his head. But atleast let him coach a couple of games.

justasportsfan
01-31-2006, 05:02 PM
Where is your proof for optimism? You don't have any facts either. You have one example in Dillon and one example in BB, which are also based on past events. Right now, all we have to go on is two things:
1. Past performance
2. the present state of the team.

How you can look at those and be optimistic based on two examples from a "dynasty" team that is clearly the exception and not the rule, I don't know.

Do I have PROOF that we'll do bad? No, I don't. But at this point, the evidence is certainly pointing in that direction. I just don't understand how you can ignore all the negative things about the team that have been mentioned in this thread because one time, one team overcame similar issues. I don't need facts. I am not the one who already concluded that they are a bust even before they took a snap. Can you not see the flaw of your logic?

You give me examples examples of what happened when people hired Coordinators. Fair enough, but when I give you examples of BB (BTW Marv too) who had a losing record and went on to become a successful coach elswhere , it's unacceptable to you?

here's a fact for you ! Jauron was voted as "coach of the year" during his first stint as a HC, while BB wasn't. That in itself should give you the benefit of the doubt that maybe he can succeed here. I'm not saying he will but I don't have a crystal ball like you do.

I cannot change your way of thinking, since you have always been the type to give up even before a snap is even made. Just pointing out the flaws of your logic.

justasportsfan
01-31-2006, 05:21 PM
Well there sure seem to be a lot of people that think that the Bills are going the wrong direction and it's not just some of the Bill fans you are trying to convince otherwise. Be positive, good for you, but stop being blind.

but when a lot of people tell you Mularkey sucks and we have proof all of a sudden that's not acceptable? Sure finfan. Mularkey sucks and we have proof. Part of that proof is when he blew that lead against your fins. All the effort his players did went nowhere because he blew it with his half time adjustment.

You better pray that Saban knows how to make halftime adjustments because Mularkey sucks at it.

justasportsfan
01-31-2006, 05:33 PM
and one more thing- every year, everyone from message board nerds like us to nationally syndicated TV and newspaper reporters predict the order of how teams will finish in the upcoming season. They don't have proof- all they can do is look at the teams and go by their current state and the past performance of the people invovled, and that's what I'm doing here. Sometimes the predictions are right, sometimes they're wrong.

I'm saying that anyone who looks at this team objectively is going to come to negative conclusions. Take off the red-and-blue glasses for a second and get a good look at the team.
they may not have any proof but they don't say they are an automatic bust.

BTW, didn't those nationally sindicated newpapers say that the chargers were gona finish last place in 2004? They had proof that the Pats were NOT going to win the sb the first time around when they had a 2nd year qb replacing Drew? So much for those so called proof.

Nublar7
01-31-2006, 05:57 PM
here's a fact for you ! Jauron was voted as "coach of the year" during his first stint as a HC, while BB wasn't. That in itself should give you the benefit of the doubt that maybe he can succeed here. I'm not saying he will but I don't have a crystal ball like you do. He had only ONE winning season. He was 35-45 during his 5 years with the Bears. If you take away that fluke season he was 22-42. Yikes! Not a real good hire for a team that is out of control and needs to start rebuilding.

Typ0
01-31-2006, 05:59 PM
I'm convinced that a big part of our problem is ownership. That's why I think the Levy hire is an opportunity for us. But we need to overcome our owner now and get better and that is a big task.

Mr. Cynical
01-31-2006, 06:08 PM
:gag:

OpIv37
01-31-2006, 06:19 PM

BTW, didn't those nationally sindicated newpapers say that the chargers were gona finish last place in 2004? The had proof that the Pats were NOT going to win the sb the first time around when they had a 2nd year qb replacing Drew? So much for those so called proof.

you're obsessed with this proof thing and the ******* 04 pats- a FLUKE team. First, I said that sometimes people are wrong when they make predictions. Second, you don't have any proof that the Bills will do better than last year either. I guess subjective, anecdotal evidence is fine when it supports your point of view, but not when it leads someone to a different conclusion. Nice double standard.

feelthepain
01-31-2006, 06:21 PM
but when a lot of people tell you Mularkey sucks and we have proof all of a sudden that's not acceptable? Sure finfan. Mularkey sucks and we have proof. Part of that proof is when he blew that lead against your fins. All the effort his players did went nowhere because he blew it with his half time adjustment.

You better pray that Saban knows how to make halftime adjustments because Mularkey sucks at it.

By a lot of people you mean Bill fans!! Come now, you can't be serious!! I 've read nothing but good things about MM going to the fins from unbias sources, but have yet to read any unbias report about the Bills heading in the right direction. You Bill fans have nothing to look forward to, nothing !! So you fabricate your own opinions then act like your opinion is fact!!

"Mularkey sucks and we have proof" The only proof you have is that Mularkey couldn't coach the lack of talent in Buffalo. I'll try to explain things to you the "mentally challanged football knowledge deficient" Justa!! Your team has no QB, no O-Line, no D-Line, no TE!! You lost your best D player for the year!! No coach, would have coached all that into a winning season!! But you ignore the facts simply because MM went to the Fins and you hate it. Why?? Because when he has success in Miami yopu won't have anything to say! You refuse to face all the BS you were spewing last year and you're doing it again!! You refuse to learn. MM wasn't the problem TD and the lack of talent was. It's that simple.

Now you have Dick Juron and you think this is an upgrade!! Your team then hires a QB coach to be your OC?!?!?! Why not a real OC to do the job since there were several people qualified to do the job?? Why don't the Bills have a real DC, when there were plenty to be had?? The awnser to all this is no one wants to coach the Bills. The Bills are probably going to be one of the worst team the next several seasons. I'm sure you'll come back with some stupid insult because you have nothing intelligent to offer and you definitely can't find any supporters other then Bill fans. All this insulting can go on and on, but the Fins will be fighting for the division while the Bills will be fighting for the #1 overall draft pick.

justasportsfan
01-31-2006, 06:21 PM
He had only ONE winning season. He was 35-45 during his 5 years with the Bears. If you take away that fluke season he was 22-42. Yikes! Not a real good hire for a team that is out of control and needs to start rebuilding.BB didn't even have that at Cleveland. That's my point. BB had a defensive guru in Saban and yet he never went 13-3.

Like I said I don't know if he will succeed here or not but a benefit of a doubt is better than a sure failure in Donahoe. It might not be much but it's a little bit that the tittle of the thread was asking.

mysticsoto
01-31-2006, 06:59 PM
BB didn't even have that at Cleveland. That's my point. BB had a defensive guru in Saban and yet he never went 13-3.

Like I said I don't know if he will succeed here or not but a benefit of a doubt is better than a sure failure in Donahoe. It might not be much but it's a little bit that the tittle of the thread was asking.

Justa, you're wasting your breath. Pessimists will always be pessimists and all they do is fuel idiots like FTP to feel empowered to speak. The rest of us will tranquilly (is that a word ?) watch the draft, the FA pick up and attend camp before we start making accusations and judgements without having anything to judge to begin with...

OpIv37
01-31-2006, 07:18 PM

BTW, didn't those nationally sindicated newpapers say that the chargers were gona finish last place in 2004? The had proof that the Pats were NOT going to win the sb the first time around when they had a 2nd year qb replacing Drew? So much for those so called proof.

Did I ever say that the Bills were an automatic bust? I questioned some of the moves the team was making, I questioned the strength of several positions on the team, and I said my expectations for the team were very low. But I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong. We may disagree on a lot of things, but I guarantee I'm just as sick of losing as you are.

The difference is that you see the loss of TD as addition by subtraction. I see the loss of TD as a good thing as well, but only a small piece of the puzzle.

Bling
01-31-2006, 07:24 PM
Anyone else LMAO that Finheaven is really rubbing off on justafan? The guy spends his life there, and sure is rubbing off.... he sounds like more of a homer than some of the **** over there!

Nublar7
01-31-2006, 07:56 PM
BB didn't even have that at Cleveland. That's my point. BB had a defensive guru in Saban and yet he never went 13-3.

Like I said I don't know if he will succeed here or not but a benefit of a doubt is better than a sure failure in Donahoe. It might not be much but it's a little bit that the tittle of the thread was asking.Belichick was also the coach of THE BROWNS! Historically a bad team, and most of his time was before the salary cap era. Jauron was with a team with great history and had the salary cap on his side. Yet, he still sucked. You can't compare Bill to Dick.

You say there is a 50/50 shot that this will work.

You have a first time GM who is 80 years old. WHO by the way doesn't even live in Buffalo.

An 87 year owner who doesn't even know what day of the week it is. WHO by the way doesn't even live in Buffalo.

A coach who is a proven loser and had only one winning season during his first 5 years.

A quarterback who looks like a bust so far.

A running back who says he is the greatest, but really can't back it up. 3.8 yards a carry isn't going to cut it.

50/50? I would say it is closer to a 30% chance it will work. The way the Bills organization is being runned, it is eerily similar to the way the 2004 Dolphins looked. Confused and just waiting to collapse. Yet, the Bills don't have to worry about a big collapse like the Dolphins did, because you can't fall to far after a 5-11 season. Good luck with Dick and company! :snicker:

justasportsfan
01-31-2006, 07:59 PM
you're obsessed with this proof thing and the ******* 04 pats- a FLUKE team. First, I said that sometimes people are wrong when they make predictions. Second, you don't have any proof that the Bills will do better than last year either. I guess subjective, anecdotal evidence is fine when it supports your point of view, but not when it leads someone to a different conclusion. Nice double standard.I don't need proof because I haven't put an exclamation point on the season while you already talk like you already know what the outcome is. Can't you understand that?

Oh wait, people make wrong predictions? You brought that national thing up not me, now you're starting to back pedal. Your anecdotes support your pov and when I bring back Bellichicks and Marv's first stint , you ignore them. You're the one who has the double standard.

You keep ignoring the 04 Pats because they make your opinions wrong. You're calling them a fluke is ones again an opinion. They went from wild card all the way to win the SB. That's a fact. I'll take facts over your pessimistic opinions anyday.

Your constant "I give up before a snap ever happened " is getting old.

justasportsfan
01-31-2006, 08:03 PM
Belichick was also the coach of THE BROWNS! Historically a bad team, and most of his time was before the salary cap era. Jauron was with a team with great history and had the salary cap on his side. Yet, he still sucked. You can't compare Bill to Dick.

You say there is a 50/50 shot that this will work.

You have a first time GM who is 80 years old. WHO by the way doesn't even live in Buffalo.

An 87 year owner who doesn't even know what day of the week it is. WHO by the way doesn't even live in Buffalo.

A coach who is a proven loser and had only one winning season during his first 5 years.

A running back who says he is the greatest, but really can't back it up. 3.8 yards a carry isn't going to cut it.

50/50? I would say it is closer to a 30% chance it will work. The way the Bills organization is being runned, it is eerily similar to the way the 2004 Dolphins looked. Confused and just waiting to collapse. Yet, the Bills don't have to worry about a big collapse like the Dolphins did, because you can't fall to far after a 5-11 season. Good luck with Dick and company! :snicker:

30% is better than the past years with TD. That's what I am trying to say. It's not much but it's better than a sure failed season if TD was still here. The thread asked how can we be optimistic? The simple answer is that TD is gone. A sure loss is no longer. Everything else Op says is opinion.

justasportsfan
01-31-2006, 08:09 PM
Anyone else LMAO that Finheaven is really rubbing off on justafan? The guy spends his life there, and sure is rubbing off.... he sounds like more of a homer than some of the **** over there! Bling the hypocritical finfan. Blasting his fellow finfans who aren't around to defend themselves. As usual, doesn't have anything smart to say.

Devin
01-31-2006, 08:11 PM
Belichick was also the coach of THE BROWNS! Historically a bad team, and most of his time was before the salary cap era. Jauron was with a team with great history and had the salary cap on his side. Yet, he still sucked. You can't compare Bill to Dick.

Its unfare not to use that comparison as well. Not one person would have thought BB would do what hes done with the Pats at first hire.

Most Bills fans hate the DJ hire, your not telling us anything we dont already know. But there isnt anything we can do about it now but support the team. Same as you did with Wanny. I do trust Marv, hes a solid "football guy". Yes hes 80, but he didnt take the job for the next decade. This is likely only a 2-4 year plan if that. As far as Ralph....id be the first to agree hes a little...."off".

No one can call him a bust this early. Eli was HORRIBLE his first year. At the start of the season it did look pretty grim ill admit. But from the KC game on he did better just about each week. Holcomb is no starter imo, but id take him as a backup anyday.

Willis mouth is....well....who knows. Hes a Miami product, no telling what he has going on upstairs....if anything. Granted our OL is god awful, he did still manage a 1200 yard season.

Hating the fish as much as I do I hate saying they look to be in great shape. The Mularkey hire is questionable, but hey he could very well be solid in his new digs.

DJ brought in some solid coaches, we arent Washington coach wise or anything, but I feel a LITTLE better. I dont know if id dip to the 30% level but its going to make for an interesting season to say the least. Hopefully with a potential of up to 15-20 mil cap space (assuming we restructure/cut players) we can fill some positions with quality players.

OpIv37
01-31-2006, 08:18 PM
I don't need proof because I haven't put an exclamation point on the season while you already talk like you already know what the outcome is. Can't you understand that?

Oh wait, people make wrong predictions? You brought that national thing up not me, now you're starting to back pedal. Your anecdotes support your pov and when I bring back Bellichicks and Marv's first stint , you ignore them. You're the one who has the double standard.

You keep ignoring the 04 Pats because they make your opinions wrong. You're calling them a fluke is ones again an opinion. They went from wild card all the way to win the SB. That's a fact. I'll take facts over your pessimistic opinions anyday.

Your constant "I give up before a snap ever happened " is getting old.
from the first time I mentioned the national predictions, I said "SOMETIMES THEY'RE WRONG"- go back and read it before you accuse me of backpedaling.

You asked for proof, when I gave you proof you dismissed it then brought up the Pats/BB thing as YOUR proof. You also never acknowledged the fact that the Pats are the exception, not the rule. You can say the "fluke" is my opinion, but give me one other example of a team that has been structured like the Pats and has been as successful as the Pats. That's why they're a fluke- an exception- no one else has ever been able to do it like that.

And who was right last year? me or you? did we make the playoffs? did we get JP any experience? So what did we gain from last year? NOTHING. Another year of losing and another year of no experience for JP and not knowing if we have our QB or not.

Your constant ignorance to the reality of this team is getting old.

justasportsfan
01-31-2006, 08:19 PM
Did I ever say that the Bills were an automatic bust? .

I think we're ****ed- no better than 3rd in the division (I predicted last a few weeks ago but that was before I realized how much of a mess the NY Jets are). your words not mine.

OpIv37
01-31-2006, 08:20 PM
your words not mine.

It says "I THINK"- as in I acknowledged that it was my opinion and not a fact.

mush69
01-31-2006, 08:28 PM
blah, blah, blah!

Man I read the first 2 pages and could bear anymore. I like this shake up we have had. We need it in Buffalo, nothing is ever right if it doesn't come from the depths of hell into a shine. How long has it taken to clean up the "Love Canal"?

So Far we have put together a very capable coaching staff IMO, lets see what they do with the personel they are dealt with and then form our complaints!

Nublar7
01-31-2006, 08:30 PM
30% is better than the past years with TD. That's what I am trying to say. It's not much but it's better than a sure failed season if TD was still here. The thread asked how can we be optimistic? The simple answer is that TD is gone. A sure loss is no longer. Everything else Op says is opinion.Yet, it could have been more then 30% if your front office actually took the time and really try to rebuild itself. First off, don't hire a GM off his death bed to try and recreate the so called "Glory Years". Go out and hire a REAL GM. Next, why hire Jauron when you could have had Sherman, Capers or even Bates as your head coach?

The Bills just keep making bad decisions. A negative plus a negative might make a positive in Science, but somebody needs to tell Ralph that this isn't Science class. You can't keep scraping the bottom of the barrel and expecting good things to come from it.

Nublar7
01-31-2006, 08:33 PM
blah, blah, blah!

Man I read the first 2 pages and could bear anymore. I like this shake up we have had. We need it in Buffalo, nothing is ever right if it doesn't come from the depths of hell into a shine. How long has it taken to clean up the "Love Canal"?

So Far we have put together a very capable coaching staff IMO, lets see what they do with the personel they are dealt with and then form our complaints!Very capable? Who?

Jauron? Fairchild? Fewell? Am I missing a hire that makes this a good coaching staff? Please show me a link where a good hire was made. I was away for the weekend so I must have missed these good hires. Please enlighten me.

OpIv37
01-31-2006, 08:38 PM
Very capable? Who?

Jauron? Fairchild? Fewell? Am I missing a hire that makes this a good coaching staff? Please show me a link where a good hire was made. I was away for the weekend so I must have missed these good hires. Please enlighten me.

We still have McNally and April- arguably the best in the business in their areas. And you have Mularkey so I don't think you're in a position to criticize. Have fun throwing swing passes on 3rd and 2 and screens with no blockers. You'll be lucky if Brown and Williams get 13 carries between the two of them.

Nublar7
01-31-2006, 08:42 PM
We still have McNally and April- arguably the best in the business in their areas. And you have Mularkey so I don't think you're in a position to criticize. Have fun throwing swing passes on 3rd and 2 and screens with no blockers. You'll be lucky if Brown and Williams get 13 carries between the two of them.:lol: Miami's coaching staff is light years ahead of the Bills.

Saban > Jauron
Mularkey = Fairchild(I will say its equal)
Houck > McNally
Capers > Fewell
April > Armstrong

justasportsfan
01-31-2006, 08:45 PM
Yet, it could have been more then 30% if your front office actually took the time and really try to rebuild itself. First off, don't hire a GM off his death bed to try and recreate the so called "Glory Years". Go out and hire a REAL GM. Next, why hire Jauron when you could have had Sherman, Capers or even Bates as your head coach?

The Bills just keep making bad decisions. A negative plus a negative might make a positive in Science, but somebody needs to tell Ralph that this isn't Science class. You can't keep scraping the bottom of the barrel and expecting good things to come from it.
whether they could've have done a better job is besides the point. The thread is asking about the recent hire. I can only wish Marv made the right decision. He's risking his legacy as a coach.

OpIv37
01-31-2006, 08:46 PM
:lol: Miami's coaching staff is light years ahead of the Bills.

Saban > Jauron
Mularkey = Fairchild(I will say its equal)
Houck > McNally
Capers > Fewell
April > Armstrong

you won't be saying Mularkey and Fairchild are equal after this year. And McNally has had a bunch of crap to work with- the fact that he had Gandy and Peters playing so well is amazing, so I wouldn't summarily dismiss him.

I'll give you Capers and Saban.

Nublar7
01-31-2006, 08:51 PM
you won't be saying Mularkey and Fairchild are equal after this year. And McNally has had a bunch of crap to work with- the fact that he had Gandy and Peters playing so well is amazing, so I wouldn't summarily dismiss him.

I'll give you Capers and Saban.Mularkey had top 5 offenses in Pittsburgh, plus he has Saban looking over his shoulder. He is definitley a downgrade from Linehan, but he will have success in Miami. Plus, Fairchild doesn't have the weapons in Buffalo that he had with the Rams.

I don't care what McNally had to work with. The Bills oline sucked this year. Houck made the Chargers horrible line into a great one, plus he took the Dolphins SAME oline from 2004 and made them into a SOLID oline in 2005.

Dolphins oline in 2004 without Houck: Gave up 52 sacks
Same Oline in 2005 with Houck: Gave up 26 sacks.

Yeah, I would take Houck over McNally ANY day of the week. Hands down.

Nublar7
01-31-2006, 08:52 PM
whether they could've have done a better job is besides the point. The thread is asking about the recent hire. I can only wish Marv made the right decision. He's risking his legacy as a coach.Well, the moves sucked for the Bills. Good for the rest of the East. :D

justasportsfan
01-31-2006, 08:56 PM
Well, the moves sucked for the Bills. Good for the rest of the East. :D Maybe , maybe not. Remember how your fellow finfans called Saban an idiot in the middle of the season? The surely changed their minds, didn't they?

justasportsfan
01-31-2006, 08:58 PM
Mularkey had top 5 offenses in Pittsburgh, plus he has Saban looking over his shoulder. He is definitley a downgrade from Linehan, but he will have success in Miami. Plus, Fairchild doesn't have the weapons in Buffalo that he had with the Rams.

I don't care what McNally had to work with. The Bills oline sucked this year. Houck made the Chargers horrible line into a great one, plus he took the Dolphins SAME oline from 2004 and made them into a SOLID oline in 2005.

Dolphins oline in 2004 without Houck: Gave up 52 sacks
Same Oline in 2005 with Houck: Gave up 26 sacks.

Yeah, I would take Houck over McNally ANY day of the week. Hands down. Did Moolarkey have a great offense or did he have a great HC? Looks to me he failed in his last year at Pitts and his tenure here in buffalo.

mush69
01-31-2006, 08:58 PM
Very capable? Who?

Although he has never had a defense to call his own Fewel has 22 years of experience in the league, Fairchild may have some glitches but so did Gillbride and we hung with him for a couple of years.

As far as Juron goes, he has had some opportunities in the past but not much to work with. Which is why I think he is the perfect fit for us right now. We don't have much to work with and he has an opportunity!

justasportsfan
01-31-2006, 09:02 PM
And who was right last year? me or you? did we make the playoffs? did we get JP any experience? So what did we gain from last year? NOTHING. Another year of losing and another year of no experience for JP and not knowing if we have our QB or not.

Your constant ignorance to the reality of this team is getting old. You were right but that wasn't what we were talking about. we were talking about how people like you can easily give up on a team. You were also wrong about the first game, The KC game and the 1st fins game. So don't go around acting like you were right the whole time. The difference between you and I is that even if I don't think we'll win, I don't give up like you do even before anything happens. You're a quitter and everyone here knows that about you. You're a cool guy in person but sorry to say that you're the last guy I'd ever want on any team.

OpIv37
01-31-2006, 09:34 PM
You were right but that wasn't what we were talking about. we were talking about how people like you can easily give up on a team. You were also wrong about the first game, The KC game and the 1st fins game. So don't go around acting like you were right the whole time. The difference between you and I is that even if I don't think we'll win, I don't give up like you do even before anything happens. You're a quitter and everyone here knows that about you. You're a cool guy in person but sorry to say that you're the last guy I'd ever want on any team.

you always say I'm a quitter, but you never explained one thing: How does saying the team is going to lose make me a quitter. I still wear my Bills stuff. I still watch every second of every game. I still follow the team's off-season moves. I'm not on the team, so my feelings have nothing to do with how the team does on the field or whether or not they show up.

So once again, when did "pessimist" and "quitter" become synonomous? Go buy a dictionary.

Nublar7
01-31-2006, 10:09 PM
Maybe , maybe not. Remember how your fellow finfans called Saban an idiot in the middle of the season? The surely changed their minds, didn't they?They were wrong about Saban. I am not wrong about Jauron. He sucks and he will suck in Buffalo. :brush:

feelthepain
02-01-2006, 12:23 AM
Justa, you're wasting your breath. Pessimists will always be pessimists and all they do is fuel idiots like FTP to feel empowered to speak. The rest of us will tranquilly (is that a word ?) watch the draft, the FA pick up and attend camp before we start making accusations and judgements without having anything to judge to begin with...

Right, just like last year you and your "tranquil drug user homer Bill buddies" were spewing nonsense about the Bills being a playoff team while at the same time predicting the fins would be in last place in 2005. All before the season had even begun!! You,justa and a few other brainless making those predictions. Now Justa and you take a wait and see attitude!?!?!?!?

Ya wanna know why? Because neither of you (homer geniuses) have one ounce of faith in the moves being made by the new regime!! The best part is it's clear you have no faith because it didn't stop you last year at this time...ya know, when you loved MM!! Sure is fun watching Bill fans that don't know a damn thing about the ability of their own team let alone football in general run their mouths anyway.

rsmithgi
02-01-2006, 07:52 AM
here's a fact for you ! Jauron was voted as "coach of the year" during his first stint as a HC, while BB wasn't. That in itself should give you the benefit of the doubt that maybe he can succeed here. I'm not saying he will but I don't have a crystal ball like you do.

Dick Jauron = Dave Wannstedt

Both defensive coaches

Jauron - 5 seasons with the Bears, 35-46 record
Wannstedt - 6 seasons with the Bears, 41-56 record

Jauron - coach of the year 2001
Wannstedt - 1994 - "Wannstedt was named NFC Coach of the Year by Football News, UPI and Kansas City’s 101 Club and was among the top three finishers for the NFL Coach of the Year by AP, Pro Football Writers, The Sporting News, Pro Football Weekly and Football Digest."

Put a moustache on Jauron and it would be eerie....

ublinkwescore
02-01-2006, 12:57 PM
I'm liking the staff that Jauron is pulling together - especially the OC and DC hires.

I'm not too familiar with the DL coach, the DB coach, or the LB coach, but I do remember Det. last time we played them did have a nasty DL, and some decent LB play - let's see what these guys can do with some real talent.

alohabillsfan
02-01-2006, 01:06 PM
Lets go with the glass is half full--- If we suck then we don't have to worry about being on Sunday Night and listening to Joe "who am I going to blow the whole broadcast) Thiesman!!!:chuckle: