• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikemac2001
    is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
    • Mar 2003

Where can we save on the cap?

Which players could we restructure to get us some more cap?

MUCK
    FIAMI
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: Where can we save on the cap?

Restructuring is not a word I like to use.. Everybody is for it at the time, but if we keep restructuring mark my words we'll be in cap trouble just like the Butler led teams of the late 90's.. we dont want that.

Moulds and WIlliams seem obvious.. Here are some other moves that may create some cap space without killing us. (credit for cap numbers to Robert from Billszone)

Cut:
    Campbell: Would save $1.3 million and only eat up 237K in cap space.. Why not? Everett should be in his spot and even if not, Campbell is not a million dollars better than Tim Euhus,his backup.

Anderson: a waste of interior space. Cut him and save 900K, eat the mil in dead cap space.

Gandy: If he's not going to start, he's too pricey for a backup at 1.9.. Cut him and save 1.3, only taking up 400K in dead space.

You can also cut Coy Wire and Fast Freddy Smith and save another million, with no dead cap space.

Those guys along being cut are over $4 mill in savings, and I didnt even mention Milloy, Moulds, Williams or Adams.

Even though Marv is 999 years old, he's smart enough to not restructure too much and create future dead cap room. I can see Moulds getting a deal redone if HE is willing, but that may be it.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Ebenezer
      Give me a minute...
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
      Restructuring is not a word I like to use.. Everybody is for it at the time, but if we keep restructuring mark my words we'll be in cap trouble just like the Butler led teams of the late 90's.. we dont want that.

Moulds and WIlliams seem obvious.. Here are some other moves that may create some cap space without killing us. (credit for cap numbers to Robert from Billszone)

Cut:
      Campbell: Would save $1.3 million and only eat up 237K in cap space.. Why not? Everett should be in his spot and even if not, Campbell is not a million dollars better than Tim Euhus,his backup.

Anderson: a waste of interior space. Cut him and save 900K, eat the mil in dead cap space.

Gandy: If he's not going to start, he's too pricey for a backup at 1.9.. Cut him and save 1.3, only taking up 400K in dead space.

You can also cut Coy Wire and Fast Freddy Smith and save another million, with no dead cap space.

Those guys along being cut are over $4 mill in savings, and I didnt even mention Milloy, Moulds, Williams or Adams.

Even though Marv is 999 years old, he's smart enough to not restructure too much and create future dead cap room. I can see Moulds getting a deal redone if HE is willing, but that may be it.

You also have to ask how many of these vets you want to cut. There are a couple of reasons for that. 1) If you cut too many vets (or all of them) you set yourself up for another 3-13 season (ala 2001). 2) If you cut too many vets (or all of them) you leave a hole when it comes to leadership. 3) If you cut too many vets (or all of them) you cast doubt on the seriousness of the franchise, get perceived as being cheap and have a hard time recruiting other free agents to your team. You might get guys interested in money but you lose good character guys. 4) You also have to ask how serious RW is about winning NOW. If he is serious about winning now then few of the vets will be cast adrift.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
        I agree with your player ideas. Adams and Milloy should stay. Cut the rest you mentioned to give relief. I keep thinking how well Adams would look with a Grady Jackson next to him.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Dont drink the water
          • Oct 2005

Adams says he wants to stay but when playing time comes he will complain and freeboat. Trade him if possible or cut him late in camp when we need the cap space.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
            • Feb 2005

Eric Moulds... $5.5M cap savings
            Mike Williams... $4.9M cap savings
            London Fletcher... $4.0M cap savings
            Lawyer Milloy... $2.8M cap savings
            Sam Adams... $2.1M cap savings
            Chris Villarial... $1.8M cap savings
            Jeff Posey... $1.8M cap savings
            Mark Campbell... $1.3M cap savings
            Bennie Anderson... $.9M cap savings
            Troy Vincent... $.8M cap savings
            Joe Burns... $.5M cap savings

Comment

• Typ0
              honey pie
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
              You also have to ask how many of these vets you want to cut. There are a couple of reasons for that. 1) If you cut too many vets (or all of them) you set yourself up for another 3-13 season (ala 2001). 2) If you cut too many vets (or all of them) you leave a hole when it comes to leadership. 3) If you cut too many vets (or all of them) you cast doubt on the seriousness of the franchise, get perceived as being cheap and have a hard time recruiting other free agents to your team. You might get guys interested in money but you lose good character guys. 4) You also have to ask how serious RW is about winning NOW. If he is serious about winning now then few of the vets will be cast adrift.

what if it's a trade off and you cut a bunch of vets and bring others in that help us win in the trenches?

Comment

• Ebenezer
                Give me a minute...
                • Jul 2002

the trade off is convincing them to come here once you have gutted the team.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• clumping platelets

My cap analysis article will be out very soon

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                    Zero for Zero!
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by draz54
                    London Fletcher... $4.0M cap savings
                    Lawyer Milloy... $2.8M cap savings
                    Sam Adams... $2.1M cap savings
                    Chris Villarial... $1.8M cap savings
                    Mark Campbell... $1.3M cap savings
                    Bennie Anderson... $.9M cap savings
                    Troy Vincent... $.8M cap savings
                    But remember with the guys like Burns and Vincent, the savings are nil since you still need to replace them on the roster and even a guy making the minimum eats up almost the same amount of space.
                    Originally posted by mysticsoto
                    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• clumping platelets

release all those players and you are looking at #1 overall in 2007.....we wouldn't be able to attract veteran FA because they see how they would get treated.

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
                        Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
                        • Mar 2003

I would go ahead and cut Campbell and Posey out right with Everett/Euhus and Crowell taking their spots. I would reneg Moulds, and would try to do the same w/ Milloy and Williams. If the last two refuse, cut them.
                        "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
                        -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Ebenezer
                          Give me a minute...
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by clumping platelets
                          release all those players and you are looking at #1 overall in 2007.....we wouldn't be able to attract veteran FA because they see how they would get treated.
                          yeah, vets will be storming down the gates to help JP throw to Parrish and Evans behind a swiss cheese line...

Comment

• Bert102176
                            • Aug 2002

Clump is exactly right if you see a team do that to their vets, do you really think we can get any good vets to come in here
                            lets go BUFFALO lets go BUFFALO

Comment

• ddaryl
                              Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                              • Jan 2005

There's close to 14 million, + the 6 mil we're already under.

Trade EM for a pick, hopefully a 2nd but might only fetch a 3rd

With 5 picks on day 1, close to 20 mil in FA money (we don't know what performance bonuses were hit yet) we might be in decent shape for next year.

We'll need an OL, DL, and WR in FA, and we'll have to draft OL and DL somewhere during the 1st day of the draft IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X