PDA

View Full Version : Steve Smith smacks Clements on radio and Bentley.

ICE74129
02-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Steve Smith was on the radio earlier and nailed Clements. He said that Nate isnt as good as he thinks he is. Steve said a lot of corners think they are good but they always have safety help or more. He said Nate was one of those guys.

Smith stated who he felt the top corners were . He had Champ Bailey, Dre Bly, Delta O'Neil for starters. He also said Fred Smoot was the most overrated.

Sounds to me the better WR's think 'the Playmaker' is over rated. Note: we had THREE guys on smith and Seattle had 4. When you are so damn good you draw that kind of attention....you can say what the hell you want about DB's in this league :beers:

Earlier LeCharles Bently (Center from New Orleans) Was on and said he definately won't be back in New Orleans and will test the market. He says Cleveland is clearly his top choice BUT, with Buffalo only being a short jump away, and if we can offer up some serious jack....

I hope we sign him.

The_Philster
02-01-2006, 03:11 PM
I wonder how good Nate could be again if we play him in bump-and-run like he was meant to play instead of 8-10 yards off the LOS every damn play

ICE74129
02-01-2006, 03:16 PM
I wonder how good Nate could be again if we play him in bump-and-run like he was meant to play instead of 8-10 yards off the LOS every damn play

Steve smith would take him to school. Sorry man, Nate isn't as great as he THINKS he is. Smith would own him.

The_Philster
02-01-2006, 03:20 PM
possibly...but no CB is going to succeed if he's playing off the ball like Gray has had a habit of having his CBs do

justasportsfan
02-01-2006, 03:29 PM
Get a solid DL and Clements will be back to being one of the top cbs.

ICE74129
02-01-2006, 03:30 PM
possibly...but no CB is going to succeed if he's playing off the ball like Gray has had a habit of having his CBs do

Then get ready for dissapointment. The cover 2 dictates your CB's are 8 yards off and 2 yards in from the LOS. And we know levy wants the cover two.

ICE74129
02-01-2006, 03:31 PM

Clements has never been a Great CB. Gets beat one on one, Gives up too many stupid plays. Too worried about himself.

Clements isn't worth the money and NO CB is. NO CB in this league is worth QB money and that is what they are getting. Pay nate, you can't better the DL.

tat2dmike77
02-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Bentley kicked arse at OSU and i would love to see him in a bills uniform as well.

Saratoga Slim
02-01-2006, 04:12 PM
Bentley would be an excellant pick-up. How is Cleveland set at C? Are they going to be interested?

Devin
02-01-2006, 04:28 PM
Jeff Faine I think is their center.

Or he was anyway dont know if he still is.

Kerr
02-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Bentley would be an excellant pick-up. How is Cleveland set at C? Are they going to be interested?

I believe Jeff Faine is currently their starter. Next to Andruzzi, he was probably their best lineman. I'm not sure. I hope we can land Bentley though.

Novacane
02-01-2006, 04:38 PM
I agree with Steve Smith

patmoran2006
02-01-2006, 04:52 PM
i dont know why bentley would think Clev.. THey got Jeff Faine.

As for Steve Smith, he owned EVERYBODY this year.

Nate is a good CB.. NOT GREAT.. Give him a better front seven and he'd be better, just like any other decent corner.. He's a step above "decent" but not in same league as the game's best.

Kerr
02-01-2006, 04:58 PM
i dont know why bentley would think Clev.. THey got Jeff Faine.

As for Steve Smith, he owned EVERYBODY this year.

Nate is a good CB.. NOT GREAT.. Give him a better front seven and he'd be better, just like any other decent corner.. He's a step above "decent" but not in same league as the game's best.

The only problem is nate has a big mouth and wants big time money. I'm not sure Marv will see him worth keeping around especially if they're implementing a cover 2 scheme, which makes a lot of corners look better than they really are. If that's the case, we probably aren't desperate to retain clements.

ZacGriffi~82
02-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Faine has underachieved and is very incosistent.

Tatonka
02-01-2006, 05:01 PM
chad johnson said nate was the 2nd best in the league..

i hear chad johnson is a pretty good wr too.

cleveland has no need for bentley at all.

Tatonka
02-01-2006, 05:01 PM
faine is still making first round money.. they are not sending him packing.

DynaPaul
02-01-2006, 05:04 PM

A good defensive line can make an average cornerback look great.

Kerr
02-01-2006, 05:10 PM

Don't forget a scheme as well.

ICE74129
02-01-2006, 05:39 PM

Which is even more reason to NOT pay nate top money. Spend the money on the DL and see how good our corners get.

gonzo1105
02-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Then get ready for dissapointment. The cover 2 dictates your CB's are 8 yards off and 2 yards in from the LOS. And we know levy wants the cover two.

What are you talking about? A cover two is not that. I'm a coach and that is one of the basic secondary coverages out there. It is where you are anywhere from in the face to 3-4 yards off the ball...not 8. In a cover two you want to be in an outside shade because if they run a go route you dont want to make the job harder on your safety by letting them get to the outside. You play an outside shade on the WR so you funnel everything in to the safeties. I dont know what coverage your thinking of but your definetely not thinking of a cover 2. The only time the corner goes 8 yards deep is after they have funneled their main back inside and they sit in the flat in the zone coverage.

TigerJ
02-01-2006, 05:50 PM
chad johnson said nate was the 2nd best in the league..

i hear chad johnson is a pretty good wr too.

cleveland has no need for bentley at all.

Ditto: I heard the same. The variation is interesting. Clemeents does take a lot of chances, and got burned fairly often this year. It would be interesting to see how he would fare if the Bills played more bump and run. Not going to happen if Buffalo runs more of a cover two though.

ICE74129
02-01-2006, 05:53 PM
Yes and no. Base Cover 2 is 8/2. But most teams are playing man up cover 2 which means the CB is no more than 3 yards off of the ball. You would be correct in that situation in they don't want to give up the outside shoulder and expose the middle of the field I.e. for a TE or slot WR up the seam.

What the bears ran this year is the Dungy/ Kiffin Cover 2. the Field is devided up into 7 sections.

I will say we don't have the speed at safety outside of Vincent to run the cover 2. Milloy is way too slow to cover his ground dont' you think?

ICE74129
02-01-2006, 05:54 PM
Ditto: I heard the same. The variation is interesting. Clemeents does take a lot of chances, and got burned fairly often this year. It would be interesting to see how he would fare if the Bills played more bump and run. Not going to happen if Buffalo runs more of a cover two though.

It depends on how we run C2. As Gonzo said, CB's in a man 2 (what Tampa/Chicago run) will be no more than 4 yards off of the LOS with a goal of funneling WR's inside as to not spit the field for the safetys and causing the Seams to be open.

ShadowHawk7
02-01-2006, 06:42 PM
Clements has never been a Great CB. Gets beat one on one, Gives up too many stupid plays. Too worried about himself.

Clements isn't worth the money and NO CB is. NO CB in this league is worth QB money and that is what they are getting. Pay nate, you can't better the DL.
How do you explain 2004 then?

don137
02-01-2006, 07:28 PM
Now I respect Steve Smith very much however he has only played one game against Clements so you really can't judge him by playing against him one game. Clements just had a bad year this year.
As for the Smoot comment about being the most over rated. Smoot ran his mouth at Steve Smith all game when they played and Smith buried him with 200+ yards and 2 TDs. One thing I learned from watching Smith. When someone tries to talk smack to him he takes it personally and uses it as motivation and usually ends up embarrassing the guy. Smoot and Sam Madison really talked trash to Smith during games this year and Smith raked up 400 yards between the two games.

vicmantak
02-01-2006, 07:56 PM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=750 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=560><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap?gid=20051127002</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Carolina 13, Buffalo 9
By JOHN WAWROW, AP Sports Writer
November 27, 2005

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) -- Unable to find Steve Smith, Jake Delhomme settled for another option with the game on the line: third-string tight end Michael Gaines.
Gaines' 3-yard touchdown catch lifted the Carolina Panthers to a 13-9 win over the Buffalo Bills on Sunday. Gaines scored with 2:16 remaining in a game dominated by defense and field goals.

The Bills' last chance ended when Chris Gamble intercepted J.P. Losman's throw to Roscoe Parrish in the left flat in the final minute. Parrish appeared to slip on the play, and Losman's pass was underthrown.

ICE74129
02-01-2006, 09:07 PM
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="750"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="560"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td>http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap?gid=20051127002</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>Carolina 13, Buffalo 9
By JOHN WAWROW, AP Sports Writer
November 27, 2005

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) -- Unable to find Steve Smith, Jake Delhomme settled for another option with the game on the line: third-string tight end Michael Gaines.
Gaines' 3-yard touchdown catch lifted the Carolina Panthers to a 13-9 win over the Buffalo Bills on Sunday. Gaines scored with 2:16 remaining in a game dominated by defense and field goals.

The Bills' last chance ended when Chris Gamble intercepted J.P. Losman's throw to Roscoe Parrish in the left flat in the final minute. Parrish appeared to slip on the play, and Losman's pass was underthrown.

Yeah, it took Clements and two other guys to cover him. What is your point?

ICE74129
02-01-2006, 09:23 PM
How do you explain 2004 then?

Explain what? He had 'A' good year. Before and since he is a good CB. Not great. And there is no way he is worth top 5 money even if it wasn't QB type money. Sorry, no.

vicmantak
02-01-2006, 09:32 PM
Yeah, it took Clements and two other guys to cover him. What is your point?
Receiving
Carolina Rec Yds Avg Lng TD FumL
S. Smith 3 55 18.3 29 0 0
K. Colbert 4 32 8.0 12 0 0
D. Foster 4 24 6.0 12 0 0
R. Proehl 1 24 24.0 24 0 0
B. Hoover 3 20 6.7 8 0 0
K. Mangum 2 18 9.0 17 0 0
M. Gaines 3 18 6.0 13 1 0
Buffalo Rec Yds Avg Lng TD FumL
E. Moulds 7 84 12.0 18 0 0
L. Evans 5 45 9.0 12 0 0
R. Parrish 2 30 15.0 17 0 0
J. Reed 1 29 29.0 29 0 0
R. Neufeld 1 9 9.0 9 0 0

EricStratton
02-01-2006, 09:52 PM
Considering the year he had the Bills ahld him to his third lowest catch total and only 55 yards.

i think nate and company handled him pretty well.

Bill Brasky
02-01-2006, 09:58 PM
Earlier LeCharles Bently (Center from New Orleans) Was on and said he definately won't be back in New Orleans and will test the market. He says Cleveland is clearly his top choice BUT, with Buffalo only being a short jump away, and if we can offer up some serious jack....

I hope we sign him.

I've been telling you guys, Bentley is the man. BUFFALO NEEDS TO BRING THIS GUY IN. Not too often you can get a guy like him who can play multiple positions on the line that actually WANTS to play here.

ICE74129
02-02-2006, 06:34 AM
Considering the year he had the Bills ahld him to his third lowest catch total and only 55 yards.

i think nate and company handled him pretty well.

Again it took THREE people including clements to cover him. That means Clements just isnt' that good. It also means smith is so damn good he can talk smack about anyone he wants. 3 for 55 with THREE Guys on you? Not too bad.

ICE74129
02-02-2006, 06:35 AM
I've been telling you guys, Bentley is the man. BUFFALO NEEDS TO BRING THIS GUY IN. Not too often you can get a guy like him who can play multiple positions on the line that actually WANTS to play here.

JF he says he is playing Center only in the interview. He isn't willing to play guard and that is just fine with me. But that also means there is no way he goes to Cleveland.

gr8slayer
02-02-2006, 08:53 AM
Steve Smith can talk crap to anyone he wants. He earned that right.