PDA

View Full Version : Interested in the Cover 2?

RedEyE
02-01-2006, 04:03 PM
If found some cool information that breaks The Cover 2 down. Obvioulsy this for those of us that haven't had the opportunity to either play football, or those of us that are interested knowing just a little more about the game:

http://espn.go.com/ncf/columns/davie/1437187.html

tat2dmike77
02-01-2006, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the info.

I like the idea of the cover here in buffalo. Could help the defense get back to domination.

DynaPaul
02-01-2006, 05:06 PM
We played the Cover 2 against Carolina this year.

ICE74129
02-01-2006, 05:46 PM
What he didn't say was the normal base cover 2 has the CB's 8 yards off and 2 yards in. I am suprised that wasn't on there. The major weakness of cover 2 is the TE. TE's in the seam are a terror for a cover 2. The bad thing is Miami and NE have good TE's. So you will need a backer (NOT POSEY!) to take the TE and be able to man up on him. That leaves your two other backers to cover zone / flats.

Cover two is outstanding...IF. IF you have a damn good DL and we don't yet. But that can be taken care of in the draft and in FA.

RedEyE
02-01-2006, 06:05 PM
What he didn't say was the normal base cover 2 has the CB's 8 yards off and 2 yards in. I am suprised that wasn't on there. The major weakness of cover 2 is the TE. TE's in the seam are a terror for a cover 2. The bad thing is Miami and NE have good TE's. So you will need a backer (NOT POSEY!) to take the TE and be able to man up on him. That leaves your two other backers to cover zone / flats.

Cover two is outstanding...IF. IF you have a damn good DL and we don't yet. But that can be taken care of in the draft and in FA.

The problem is that there are several variations to the Cover 2 and it varies player to player almost as much as it does team to team.

The base Cover 2, which is what is being covered here in this article, calls for the CB to play the WR right off the line of scrimmage, jamming him up inside the 5 yard "free cushion". This allows the safety time to react and assist once (and if) the WR is released downfield. If a TE invades that corner zone, he releases and attaches himself to that offensive player.

ICE74129
02-01-2006, 06:09 PM
Agreed. The 'kiffin2' as it is called now is a 3-4 yard off the ball type of C2. I Think most teams are going to it.

here is our problem. 1) We don't have the DL. Hopefully Marv brings in someone better than Kelsay/Denny at LE. If not, we get smoked trying to play C2. 2) Milloy is too slow to play SS in C2. Too much room to cover.

I will say we drastically upgrade The DT spots, LE and SS, we can let Clements go via trade and bring in a lesser priced vet.

ICE74129
02-01-2006, 06:10 PM
AND! Posey isn't quick enough to cover TE's. so 2 ST's, 1 DE, 1 OLB and 1 Safety. This and upgrading the OL IS possible this offseason.

RedEyE
02-01-2006, 06:20 PM
AND! Posey isn't quick enough to cover TE's. so 2 ST's, 1 DE, 1 OLB and 1 Safety. This and upgrading the OL IS possible this offseason.

Well here is to hoping that Spikes is back healthy and Crowell pushes Posey into some well deserved bench time.

ICE74129
02-01-2006, 09:25 PM
Well here is to hoping that Spikes is back healthy and Crowell pushes Posey into some well deserved bench time.

Agreed, but I don't want TKO wasting his time chaseing some TE around. I hope Crowell is given that task.

Throne Logic
02-02-2006, 12:36 AM
"The key to cover two, or any zone coverage, is getting a great pass rush with your four rushers. No zone coverage can hold up against a good passing football team if you don't pressure the quarterback."

While this is a great point, it's not specific to the C2. No man coverage is going to hold up without pressure on the QB, ieither.

It's all about the Lines. Defense relies on the DL just as the Offense does on the OL. It's the foundation of your squad. A good DL can make up for mediocre DB's. A mediocre DL will make your entire defense suffer. Not complicated in any way. Donahoe didn't seem to get this basic point. Hopefully Marv does.

ICE74129
02-02-2006, 06:30 AM
"The key to cover two, or any zone coverage, is getting a great pass rush with your four rushers. No zone coverage can hold up against a good passing football team if you don't pressure the quarterback."

While this is a great point, it's not specific to the C2. No man coverage is going to hold up without pressure on the QB, ieither.

It's all about the Lines. Defense relies on the DL just as the Offense does on the OL. It's the foundation of your squad. A good DL can make up for mediocre DB's. A mediocre DL will make your entire defense suffer. Not complicated in any way. Donahoe didn't seem to get this basic point. Hopefully Marv does.

Here is the problem, If we keep Adams then it is DT And LDE in the draft/ FA. Kelsay and Denny are BACKUPS And nothing more. Personally I say let Denny hit the door.

Earthquake Enyart
02-02-2006, 07:43 AM
Our two old safeties are too slow to play a cover 2. Especially Milloy.

gr8slayer
02-02-2006, 08:52 AM
Our FS and SS arent good enough for play the Cover 2. You need guys with speed.

I wouldnt mind seeing some zone blitzing though.

DraftBoy
02-02-2006, 01:25 PM
If we go cover two, or first pick should be Micheal Huff from Texas.

ICE74129
02-02-2006, 01:34 PM
If we go cover two, or first pick should be Micheal Huff from Texas.

No. Lines lines and more lines. This is a two year process and the best way to start is address BOTH lines this offseason.

tat2dmike77
02-02-2006, 01:41 PM
This team needs to get some meat up front. A good pass rush will create turnovers

While a cover two is an ideal defense in some ways and some ways it isn't i believe we need to get some solid pass rushers. Or maybe a LB if hawk were to fall to #8 i say get him if he's not there then pick up a DT.

When the second round comes around and Carpenter is there which he might because of his ankle injury he suffered against the team from up north. He would be a good pick up. Had it not been for Hawk on the OSU defense he would of been a highly rated LB. Carpenter was good in coverage and is a solid tackler. His ankle injury isn't so severe that people should shy away from him.