02-01-2006, 05:59 PM
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060201/1073303.asp?tbd1073303.asp

Git'er done Marv!

McBFLO
02-01-2006, 09:41 PM
that was an excellent article

vicmantak
02-01-2006, 10:16 PM
Good article but I wonder if even trading up to get D'Brick would be an immediate answer. In other words it's really difficult to see him as an immediate upgrade over Peters and Gandy...

gr8slayer
02-01-2006, 10:57 PM
We need Brick BAD. That would fix at least one of our three or four problems.

feelthepain
02-01-2006, 11:47 PM
Good read, but it's one thing to know you need an O-line it's another to get one. Don't you Bill fans think you have too many needs to trade up?? I think if anything you move down and acquire more picks. You already have an extra 2 if you could trade down to the mid to late first round and pick up another second that could be somewhere close to 4 2nd round picks!! In this draft that could be huge.

ddaryl
02-02-2006, 04:27 AM
The Bills do not have an extra #2 pick it s an extra #3

We do not have lots of needs, just desperate needs on the OL and DL. Resigning players and intelligent coaching should fix what ails us

Yasgur's Farm
02-02-2006, 06:20 AM
We do not have lots of needs, just desperate needs on the OL and DL. Resigning players and intelligent coaching should fix what ails usOur safety positions as well as wide receiver and possibly CB big need attention as well. Knee jerking will only lead to huge weaknesses in other positions.

That's why I suggest the top 2 picks go toward skill positions (Perhaps the likes of CB Jimmy Williams with #1... followed by maybe WR Hank Baskett at #2) while both #3's go for O-line.

We can pick up 2 quality O-linemen via free agency. A fine #2 WR can be had there as well. All that's left is to tag Clements (keep or trade... I don't care).

PS... I'm not as concerned about our DT's as some of you are. I think Ngata is a huge reach at #8.

BTW... I kinda feel like packaging Willis McGahee with, let's say EMo for another #1, and grabbing LeDale White is a vertical move.

ICE74129
02-02-2006, 06:27 AM
Our safety positions as well as wide receiver and possibly CB big need attention as well. Knee jerking will only lead to huge weaknesses in other positions.

That's why I suggest the top 2 picks go toward skill positions (Perhaps the likes of CB Jimmy Williams with #1... followed by maybe WR Hank Baskett at #2) while both #3's go for O-line.

We can pick up 2 quality O-linemen via free agency. A fine #2 WR can be had there as well. All that's left is to tag Clements (keep or trade... I don't care).

PS... I'm not as concerned about our DT's as some of you are. I think Ngata is a huge reach at #8.

No more skill players! If every damn pick goes to OL And DL I am fine with it. The time is past to do this skill player shi#.

Our DT's SUCK! Teams ran up and down the field on us. If Adams isn't ready to cut the crap and play his role, then he needs to be gone. Even if he is we still need no less than one more starting DT.

Dr. Who
02-02-2006, 06:51 AM
Rebuild the lines with the top picks. Strong lines make everyone else look tons better.

NorthCarBills
02-02-2006, 07:57 AM
No more skill players! If every damn pick goes to OL And DL I am fine with it. The time is past to do this skill player shi#.

Our DT's SUCK! Teams ran up and down the field on us. If Adams isn't ready to cut the crap and play his role, then he needs to be gone. Even if he is we still need no less than one more starting DT.

In in 100% agreement Ice, literally. I too would be more than happy if nearly every pick in the draft went to the lines, and other positions in question were handled via free agency.

Let the deeper, bigger battles during camp be on the lines this summer (i.e. not just a probable starter vs. a probable backup with no middle ground possibilities). Take away the attention of a QB battle during this year's camp. That's not what this team needs, though I'm sure it will be the top story.

Earthquake Enyart
02-02-2006, 08:07 AM
The article blows. He's a master of the obvious.

Jeff1220
02-02-2006, 08:29 AM
I've always agreed with this viewpoint. I'd love to see them thow a ton of cash at (and land) FA Hutchinson and draft OL early (trade down a few and grab Justice maybe).

gr8slayer
02-02-2006, 08:31 AM
Kinda funny. Everytime an "expert" comes up with an article like this its something we have discussed on the Zone time and time again.

Patrick76777
02-02-2006, 08:33 AM
There’s little doubt that we should be focused solely on drafting the highest rated Offensive Tackle on the board. But I’m not willing to trade any of our day one picks to get any one player!

We have 4 picks in the top 70 of a deep draft! We could easily get 4 starters out of that group. And if they’re all on the lines, I’m fine with that. I’m actually hopeful.

I actually read something on here last week that showed how Ferguson could slip to us. Something about how the top 3 would be Bush, Young and Leinert and that the Jets could go RB and SF and another team already have high priced tackles. If that guy fell to us and our O-line was anchored by Ferguson and Peters, I’d feel pretty good.

ddaryl
02-02-2006, 08:44 AM
Our safety positions as well as wide receiver and possibly CB big need attention as well. Knee jerking will only lead to huge weaknesses in other positions.

BTW... I kinda feel like packaging Willis McGahee with, let's say EMo for another #1, and grabbing LeDale White is a vertical move.

Look at the Steelers OL, and Seattles OL, where are these teams playing this weekend. Look at the BIlls in comparison, there is a coorelation.

We just fired our GM partially because of his complete and utter disregard and inability to address our OL in the 5 years he was here. We have no drafted OL starting, and Mike Williams, who lost his starting job, will probably get the ax because he isn't worth the lack of effort he pushes forth.

I'm not having a knee jerk reaction... I'm really am DEMANDING our OL get tremendous attention in the near future and constant attention from now on. I fully believe Marv knows this because he had one when he coached.

Jim Kelly would not be a HOF QB, Thurman would not be a HOF candidate, and Reed would have never been the small school phenom he became if it wasn't for that great Bills OL during the SB years

You cannot build a Superbowl team in the FA era without having the trenches built. The OL and the DL are where you find the stability to build a championship team. Yes you need skill positions, but if the OL sucks the WR won't be getting the ball, and the RB will be getting his ass beat. If the DL sucks against the run then your 8 men in the box and that opens up the big play deep, or mayb eyou have no pass rush accept when you blitz (* like th eBills*) then you have one less guy back there to make aplay and you get burned and lose games.

It really is that obvious

Yasgur's Farm
02-02-2006, 11:16 AM
Taking things outta context and ignoring some of my points does not build a strong argument.

I am suggesting we take 2 day 1 O-linemen (3rd round). I'm suggesting we sign 2 of the best FA O-linemen available. That's a total of 4 new O-linemen (At least 2 new starters). IMO, anything more than this is a "knee jerk" over reaction.

Now we move toward fixing some of our other weaknesses... Or we'll be b itching about that this time next season.

BTW... How many of the starting O-linemen of the winner of 3 of the last 4 SB's were taken in round 1? How many of the starting O-linemen of the losers of those SB's were taken in round 1? Just curious.

ICE74129
02-02-2006, 11:44 AM
Just say no to lesser linemen. Use the first 2 picks minimum on the lines. that means #8 in the first and 2nd. If we trade clements use that pick too.

No more 3rd, 4th, 7th round guys. 1st rounders (hopefully plural) and a high 2nd along with FA to solidify the lines.

Dr. Who
02-02-2006, 02:29 PM
Waiting till the third round to draft a lineman is waiting too long for certain.

Yasgur's Farm
02-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Waiting till the third round to draft a lineman is waiting too long for certain.Not when we buy 2 starters off the free agency ticket.

Yasgur's Farm
02-02-2006, 03:18 PM
HEY!!! Zone Bux are back! But I seem to have lost between $1000 and $2000 along the way!

ICE74129
02-02-2006, 03:27 PM
Not when we buy 2 starters off the free agency ticket.

Even with two off of FA. Say Center and Guard. then trade up and get D'brickshaw. Or use the #8 and the first for clements on DL.

Line, line and more line in both FA and Draft.