PDA

View Full Version : Jim Kelly for QB Coach?

Mitchy moo
02-02-2006, 07:02 AM
Personally I wouldn't mind seeing Jim Kelly in here as QB coach. If J.P. would take away anything from his time with JK it would be the fundamentals of the K-gun, or the J-gun as some people are starting to call it.

J.P.'s a gun slinger who's mind on the field is going a 110mph, in a 60 zone. If we could somehow raise the speed limit a little bit, who know's, J.P. might actually develop into a pretty darn good QB. If you got lost in my analogy, I'll try to explain it a little better.

Everyone is saying that for J.P. to become a good NFL quarterback he needs to calm down, take a step back, and slow himself down mentally. Well if you ask me, since we have not had success accomplishing that so far, why not turn up the speed of the game to match J.P.'s mentality instead. That is where the hurry up offence comes in. When J.P. ran the semi-hurry up offence during the Carolina game I think it was, he seemed to me to have more confidence in his throws, and he seemed more likely to make a decent throw after he made a bad one than in the previous games.

What I've noticed about J.P. is that after he makes a dumb throw or a stupid mistake you will see him cussing himself out and you see him angrily heading back into the huddle or back to the sidelines if it was third down. What that indicates to me about his personality it that he may have a confidence problem. When he does something he should not have, he gets down on himself and it then it is difficult for him to get back up and consequently he makes further mistakes, a sort of viscous circle if you will. The fact that he makes such impulsive decisions does not help his case.

Well what if we could implement some sort of coaching system that takes the game and speeds it up to a point where there would be no time for J.P. to contemplate his mistakes and therfore no time for him to get down on himself? A system which thrives on impulsive decision? With this regard, the hurry up might be a good idea.

Now, if only we could find a coach that could teach it to him properly. Someone who has experience with it. Someone who knows the ins and outs of how to run it effectively. Well I guess the quarterback who ran the most effective hurry up in football history fits those criteria. Thats where Jim Kelly comes in.

Like I stated earlier, if there is one thing J.P. could take away from Jim Kelly, it would definately be the hurry up offense. I'm not sure how effective Jim Kelly would be in teaching J.P. proper throwing mechanics and the like, but I'm almost certain the he would be the best individual to teach him the hurry up offense, and that may just be the missing ingredient for J.P.'s success in the NFL.

I understand that Jim Kelly has said before that he does not want to coach, but I do believe someone else stated in another post that on the Best Damn Sports Show on Fox Sporstnet, Kelly said that when he heard Marv was back with the Bills, he immediatley wanted back into the Bills oraganzation. Maybe the allure of having one last shot to win a Super Bowl with Levy is intriguing enough for him to reconsider his position on coaching? I know this is the wishful thinking of an optimist, but it is not entirely impossible. I just think J.P. has a lot of potential, and we need to find the right person, or coaching system, to tap it. Jim Kelly may very well just be that person.

<!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_1635106--><!-- THE POST -->

casdhf
02-02-2006, 07:11 AM
Jimbo would not make a good coach

DieHrdBillsFan23
02-02-2006, 07:52 AM
Frank Reich....

TigerJ
02-02-2006, 08:27 AM
Nothing has changed since the last 700 times we've said Jim Kelly has no desire to coach. It's not going to happen, so why keep bringing it up.

gr8slayer
02-02-2006, 08:29 AM
Pass.

Mitchy moo
02-02-2006, 09:35 AM
The masses have spoken.

The_Philster
02-02-2006, 05:34 PM
Kelly said that when he heard Marv was back with the Bills, he immediatley wanted back into the Bills oraganzation. :bs: He said he didn't want to come back AFTER Levy came back as well as before

vicmantak
02-03-2006, 03:32 AM
Frank Reich....
I agree that a former Bills QB could be a perfect fit but, who could be a better fit than Shane Matthews. He has some background with Jauron and as a veteran third string QB... I'm sure no one can measure some "intangibles" better than him.

On the other hand, Frank Reich at least deserves a look. Destiny or not, his comebacks and outstanding backup role should not be unappreciated.

dolphinssuck
02-03-2006, 05:18 AM
Yeah I think the same way Id like to see FR or some other Bills former QB come in a take over at the QB coaching position. Id really like to see JK but thats will never happen but I believe he could prove valuable to our QBs developement.

Stewie
02-03-2006, 08:37 AM
Great, so he can teach JP all the cool places to drink before the superbowl.

PromoTheRobot
02-03-2006, 11:14 AM
Jim Kelly is NOT coaching material!!!! You want an ex-Bill? Alex Van Pelt is considered an excellent QB coach. Green Bay wanted him.

PTR

lynobx
02-03-2006, 01:08 PM
Jim Kelly is NOT coaching material!!!! You want an ex-Bill? Alex Van Pelt is considered an excellent QB coach. Green Bay wanted him.

PTR
Agree Completely. Oftimes, super stars like Kelly don't make particularly good teachers/coaches. I wouldn't mind Kelly spending a few days at camp with JP as a QB "consultant," though.

AVP, if he would leave his new job at UB, would be a much better full time QB coach.