PDA

View Full Version : Terrence McGee

The King
02-02-2006, 11:53 AM
I am looking for a lot out of Terrence next year. His special teams play is top notch and he is slowly developing into a very solid CB. I believe he will continue to progress at both. But what I am really looking to see is signs of leadership. He is entering his 4th year in the league and he will most likely be handed the #1 job. It is important that he continues to develop, but he needs to command respect from his teammates, lets face it he is the youth and future of this defense and we have been missing a that type of player since the glory days. We have talent out there and leadership but none of our said leaders are products of the Buffalo Bills. Guys like Flecther Milloy and Vincent who have played their hearts out for other franchises are not going to provide that spark that this defense needs. Schobel has shown no signs of life as a leader and Spikes can not carry this defense alone.

It should be the teams first order of business when working with T Mac in the offseason.

LifetimeBillsFan
02-02-2006, 01:11 PM
Now that he has signed a contract extension I think it is more reasonable to expect McGee to take more of a leadership role. And, he just might.

The one young guy who did speak up and said some very good things was Chris Kelsay. But, I think he has to establish himself more before any of the older guys listen to him.

The thing that I found most distressing about the Bills last season was that, on two occasions, Takeo Spikes addressed the team, trying to get them to play better, and on both occasions the team not only lost, but the defense was flat afterwards. And, both London Fletcher and Chris Villarial spoke out often and were unequivocal in their comments about what the team was doing wrong and what they needed to do to get better, but, for the most part, their teammates largely ignored them. So much for leadership!

One of the reasons that I have been so hard on the Bills players for lacking character and heart has been because they did have these leaders stand up and speak out and try to get the team to play better, but, by and large, they were ignored. You can try to lead, as Spikes, Fletcher, Villarial and Kelsay did, but you have to have people follow and, as a team, the Bills didn't follow the guys who were trying to lead them. Not the front office, not the coaches and not even their own teammates. I don't know what it's going to take to get them to follow, but I sure hope that Marv Levy and Dick Jauron have it or find it!

L.A. Playa
02-02-2006, 01:15 PM
keep posting guys your intelligence and quality of posts is appreciated

The King
02-02-2006, 01:36 PM
The thing that I found most distressing about the Bills last season was that, on two occasions, Takeo Spikes addressed the team, trying to get them to play better, and on both occasions the team not only lost, but the defense was flat afterwards. And, both London Fletcher and Chris Villarial spoke out often and were unequivocal in their comments about what the team was doing wrong and what they needed to do to get better, but, for the most part, their teammates largely ignored them. So much for leadership!

Its very frustrating, here the Patriots are making leaders out of players labeled "problem children" like Harrison, and Dillon. And we can't even make leaders out of known leaders. I hope you're right LBF I hope Marv and Dick impact these guys enough to get results.

Ickybaluky
02-02-2006, 01:50 PM
Its very frustrating, here the Patriots are making leaders out of players labeled "problem children" like Harrison, and Dillon. And we can't even make leaders out of known leaders. I hope you're right LBF I hope Marv and Dick impact these guys enough to get results.

I don't know that Dillon could be classifed as a "leader". He has been a good soldier, but he pretty much sticks to his own things. Harrison is an excellent example, though.

If you look at the Pats, they have a lot of young players mixed into their starting lineup. However, they balance that off with some excellent guys playing roles who are very good at establishing the lockerrom chemistry.

A guy like Don Davis does nothing but plays ST well, and many times people talk about replacing him with a younger, cheaper guy. However, Davis does an excellent job mentoring younger players on the team, he looks out for them and helps them by showing them the way the team works and goes about their business. You need guys like that, and sometimes I think people de-value those types of contributions. Davis plays a big role on the Pats by helping guys like Ellis Hobbs fit in and contribute.

Look at what Romeo Crennel did in Cleveland last year, bringing in a guy like Joe Andruzzi at OG. There are probably better OL than Andruzzi, but there are few in his class when it comes to toughness, worth-ethic and serving as a leader for younger players.

McGee is a fine young player who will likely grow into more of a leadership role, but the Bills should look for the right guys to add to the mix to help guys like McGee. Sometimes it isn't always about potential.

DaBills
02-02-2006, 05:46 PM
I actually don't expect a lot more out of him as much as other guys picking up their game. Ihope we only see him on returns, and not Parrish or Clements anymore.

justasportsfan
02-02-2006, 06:03 PM
I actually don't expect a lot more out of him as much as other guys picking up their game. Ihope we only see him on returns, and not Parrish or Clements anymore.No to Clements , yes to Parrish.