PDA

View Full Version : Cut fletcher and take Hawk with #8?

ICE74129
02-03-2006, 07:08 AM
Just a thought :biggrin:

gr8slayer
02-03-2006, 07:09 AM
Just dumb.

Tatonka
02-03-2006, 07:48 AM
in a heartbeat..

fletcher is a slightly above average LB who pads his stats making tackles 5 yards past the line of scrimmage.. other than a couple sacks on occassion, what big plays has he made?

move tko to the middle and hawk to wslb.

ICE74129
02-03-2006, 07:56 AM
Just dumb. Really? So cut a short, slow and old guy for a bigger, stronger and faster guy that will most likely be a good leader for us?

Yeah I guess that would be dumb to the people around here...

And BTW, just how did Seattle do turning their D over to their rookie LB?

ICE74129
02-03-2006, 07:58 AM
in a heartbeat..

fletcher is a slightly above average LB who pads his stats making tackles 5 yards past the line of scrimmage.. other than a couple sacks on occassion, what big plays has he made?

move tko to the middle and hawk to wslb.

Hawk needs to stay in the middle. I would never take TKO off the outside. keep him mostly weak side LB this next year to keep added crap off of that ankle.

If we can get 2 OL and 1 DT in FA, then I don't have an issue with taking Hawk.

DBrown77
02-03-2006, 08:13 AM
i am pretty sure we need other needs with our 1st pick. and as i recall ICE was posting that we better draft a OL or DL with out 1st pick - no skill players.
plus fletcher has heart, cant say that about some of the other bums

THATHURMANATOR
02-03-2006, 08:20 AM
It would be an upgrade but how much money would we have to eat to do this? I don't hate Fletcher. He gives a solid effort. I think we have much more needs than LB.

ICE74129
02-03-2006, 09:23 AM
cap savings of 4 mill for fletcher cut

Captain Obvious
02-03-2006, 09:56 AM
I love the idea of AJ Hawk as a Bill, but its highly unlikely he drops to the 8th spot. I think the Green BAY Packers take him with their 5th pick.

ICE74129
02-03-2006, 10:03 AM
I love the idea of AJ Hawk as a Bill, but its highly unlikely he drops to the 8th spot. I think the Green BAY Packers take him with their 5th pick.

I think they take lindale white

T-Long
02-03-2006, 10:50 AM
If they dont take White, they'll take Mario Williams

T-Long
02-03-2006, 10:51 AM
If Cutler and White move up the board, we'll have our pick of Brick, Hawk, or Mario Williams. SF and OAK will prob. take 2 out of those 3...but I'll be happy with any of em

justasportsfan
02-03-2006, 10:54 AM
Fletcher had been solid. Just solid. But if this guy is just as good a Vilma, take him. That would be an upgrade. Question is, do we need an upgrade at LB over our other pressing needs?

NorthCarBills
02-03-2006, 11:20 AM
I still say stick with lineman in the draft if possible, but by some miracle Hawk fell to our spot how could you not take the guy? So, who really needs a LB in the top 8 spots? I'm trying to figure out what each team needs and who they might pick.

Houston Texans - Bush or trade down 1 or 2 spots and get Brick
New Orleans Saints - Young or Leinhart
Tennessee Titans - Young or Leinhart
New York Jets - Brick, White or Williams
Green Bay Packers - Hawk or White
SF 49ers - Hawk or Ryans (Peterson is probably leaving so they need LB help)
Oakland Raiders - Need a lot of D help so best avail. D
Buffalo Bills - Justice, Ngata, Williams?So much for Hawk I guess. Hey, if we stay in a 4-3, is there a chance Crowell could fight Posey for his job? That would be switching sides for him again, but I like Crowell's upside there more than Posey being a lock.

tat2dmike77
02-03-2006, 11:27 AM
I say take hawk anyway even if we don't cut fletcher.

If hawk is gone at #8 then take anthor player and in rd 2 pick up carpenter he's a solid LB as well.

Don't get me wrong i like fletch he gives maximum effort. But the cold hard truth is he is slow and getting older and well we need speed if this D is gonna play cover 2

Spiderweb
02-03-2006, 11:42 AM
i am pretty sure we need other needs with our 1st pick. and as i recall ICE was posting that we better draft a OL or DL with out 1st pick - no skill players.
plus fletcher has heart, cant say that about some of the other bums

Just now noticing that? Given enough time, ICE can have an argument and debate all by himself. He's been like this for years. Different boards, yet he remains.....

One thing for sure, and I suspect it's not all unintentional, he can stir the pot...

tat2dmike77
02-03-2006, 11:46 AM
What about drafting carpenter as a possible future replacement for fletch?

venis2k1
02-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Crowell-Hawk-Spikes....hell yea....we NEED a DT though.

HHURRICANE
02-03-2006, 12:40 PM
I think they take lindale white

You are the man!! I love it!!

ublinkwescore
02-03-2006, 12:40 PM
I have this feeling that Fletcher would end up in foxboro or Miami or NYJ if we cut him, I don't want that.

Thurm put it best when he said that there are other more demanding needs for this team than linebacker.

lynobx
02-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Three Thoughts: 1) We have far more pressing needs.
2) Fletcher is a proven veteran leader, even if he is not the best MLB in the league.
3) There are no sure things in the draft. Hawk may very well be great. Or he may be Brian Bosworth.

tat2dmike77
02-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Three Thoughts: 1) We have far more pressing needs.
2) Fletcher is a proven veteran leader, even if he is not the best MLB in the league.
3) There are no sure things in the draft. Hawk may very well be great. Or he may be Brian Bosworth.

Thats a good point lyn but you could use that for every player that comes into the NFL there is no sure thing.

I mean brick is great to but hell he could be the next Mandorich. The draft is a crap shoot. I like hawk cause i watched him play all year and if he is available i would say take him. If not then take anthor player that we need.

I also see no problem with taking Carpenter in the 2nd rd if he is there. Fletch is a good player and i like him but the bills should be looking at a replacement for him and i think carpenter would be a good fit. Hawk has been awesome and had carpenter been on a team other then OSU he would be right up there with him. IMO carpenter would bea steal in the 2nd rd.

lynobx
02-03-2006, 01:12 PM
That's why I'd rather us gamble on a draft choice on the O or D line, or Safety, where we really need help, rather than a position where we're in decent shape.

lynobx
02-03-2006, 01:15 PM
In fact, I'd rather cut Vincent or Milloy and draft Huff at 8. He looks like a great Safety.

Tatonka
02-03-2006, 03:03 PM
how would you guys feel about drafting hawk if the bills were able to sign bentley and pickett in FAs? and they also moved Peters to LT.. mike williams reduces his salary and restructures and goes back to RT.

there are no guards that should be taken in the 1st round.. we can get a top guard in the 2nd round.. giving us a line of

peters, Draft pick, Bentley, Villarial, Williams

i could deal with that as an OL.

kgun12
02-03-2006, 03:19 PM
It would be an upgrade but how much money would we have to eat to do this? I don't hate Fletcher. He gives a solid effort. I think we have much more needs than LB.

Thrum you are right about more pressing needs, HOWEVER one of our needs is to stop the run. I think A.J. would upgrade our run D. I my be wrong but don't they have A.J. projected at OLB, if so then we keep Fleth. I also think we can and should upgrade the O-line via FA. Go get a proven T or G in FA's, we already tried the "can't miss approach with M.

ICE74129
02-03-2006, 03:25 PM
how would you guys feel about drafting hawk if the bills were able to sign bentley and pickett in FAs? and they also moved Peters to LT.. mike williams reduces his salary and restructures and goes back to RT.

there are no guards that should be taken in the 1st round.. we can get a top guard in the 2nd round.. giving us a line of

Very interesting. Davin Joseph in the 2nd

kgun12
02-03-2006, 03:49 PM

This works for me! If Hawk isn't there at #8, than maybe we can get Hawks buddy Carpenter in the 2nd.

Jersey1031
02-03-2006, 04:18 PM
hawk looks too good to pass on...plus the fact that those are pretty intimidating LB names; SPIKES & HAWK

HAMMER
02-03-2006, 04:55 PM
So we have already given up on our 3rd rounder from last year?

ICE74129
02-03-2006, 05:43 PM
So we have already given up on our 3rd rounder from last year?

Hawk is a Spielman type that comes along once in awhile. If the pick isn't DL or OT it will most likely be hawk. Marv has done it before.

Tatonka
02-03-2006, 06:06 PM
third rounder from last year, as in everett?

L.A. Playa
02-03-2006, 06:09 PM
Really if Mario Williams and Brick are gone at 8 Ithink the Bills need to look into trading down to acquire more picks and build this team through the draft as much as possible

Jersey1031
02-03-2006, 06:36 PM
Really if Mario Williams and Brick are gone at 8 Ithink the Bills need to look into trading down to acquire more picks and build this team through the draft as much as possible

Sure, but I really want an immediate impact player here...

L.A. Playa
02-03-2006, 06:38 PM
the only 2 that high that are gonna be an immediate impact player are Super Mario or Brick if the Bills draft a LB who is he going to start over ? Hawk wont be there at 8

Tatonka
02-03-2006, 06:59 PM
there are several good good lbs in this draft.. LA, there is no way to tell if GB will take hawk.. they would be the most likely too... and honestly, i think they are the only one that would take him if teams are drafting on need.. but any team that is likely to take him before pick 8 might also feel like "hey, there are alot of other guys that are good too.. so we can wait.. and get carpenter in the 2nd.. "

That Guy
02-03-2006, 07:02 PM
I really think that if Brick isn't there, the Bills will benefit the most from trading down for multiple picks. The #8 pick is a hot spot in the draft this year.. as many of the positions in the draft are pretty top-heavy. We need to build a team. Not a player in a position that we already have a solid starter at.

L.A. Playa
02-03-2006, 07:08 PM
San Francisco and Oakland have a need at LB I highly doubt that Hawkwill make it past those 3 teams

tampabay25690
02-03-2006, 09:51 PM
Why do that Hawk would be great with TKO and Fletcher..I think the Bills should draft him if he is there...

Tatonka
02-03-2006, 10:00 PM
because there is no way crowell doesnt get on the field with the way he played.

if we drafted hawk, fletcher would be the weakest link.

hawk - tko - crowell.

BidsJr
02-03-2006, 10:16 PM
I would take Greenway over Hawk any day of the week. Way more upside. 4 years ago Greenway was playing 7 on 7 football as a QB in South Dakota.

Tatonka
02-04-2006, 06:14 AM
greenway would be a good pick as well (obviously not anywhere near the 8th pick), but i would still take hawk.

LifetimeBillsFan
02-04-2006, 06:55 AM
This is a draft that is very deep at LB and, if the Bills do look to take a LB in this draft, they can still get one in the third round, especially if they get any compensatory draft picks for losing Williams and Jennings.

While Hawk has the potential to be a long-term stud, this not a position of immediate need for the Bills and drafting a LB will not immediately improve the run-defense because you need to have decent D-linemen to keep the offensive linemen from getting to the LBs and the Bills didn't have the DTs to do that last year, although Adams can still play and Anderson came on a bit at the end of the season.

My primary preference all along has been for the Bills to trade down for additional picks, but this is probably going to prove easier said than done. In which case, if Brick and Mario Williams are gone, I would have to go with Ngata, unless the Bills grab a run-stuffer like Grady Jackson, etc. in free agency. If they do, they can take a shot at a Michael Huff of Tamba Hali and still pick up a decent offensive lineman in Round # 2. The Bills have to fix their run-defense ASAP or it won't matter what else they do and IMO that has to begin with filling the gaping hole in the middle of their defensive line. After that, they go about addressing their offensive line and, only then, can they think about upgrading areas of relative strength. This is a team that absolutely could not stop the run last season and only barely was able to run the ball a little better than they stopped it--and those are two of the most necessary elements of winning football games at any level.