Ok so we run the Cover two. We need new players.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Ok so we run the Cover two. We need new players.

1) Two DT's

2) A much better LDE. Kelsay and denny don't provide the pass rush needed from that side.

3) Two safetys.

4) A new ILB.

5) Another CB (if Clements is gone).

Add to that 3 OL, a REAL TE and a WR. Whew! This is a two year process period.

Many ways to go about it. Center and LG in FA and leave Gandy where he is right now. The OL will still be upgraded if they let McNally do it his way and Fairchild is better at playcalling.

TE needs to be a FA, but I don't see much out there this year.

WR needs to be a FA and there are a few that can help.

DT. One needs to be a draft pick and one a FA. There is a chance we can gain both in FA and or Adams pulls his head out and plays for one more year.

Vincent can stay this year at FS as we add a SS.

ILB can be Hawk with the 8th possibly. Crowell plays OLB replacing Posey.

It can be done, but I still think it is a two year process.
  • L.A. Playa
    • Aug 2003

Re: Ok so we run the Cover two. We need new players.

you realize, new coach , new GM there will be at least a 15-20 player turnover from the roster last year, alot maybe leser known FA's but there will be 15-20 minimum new players on the Buffalo Bills andin all reality you are looking at more of 3-5 year process to be a consistent contender. Not saying that if all factors fall into place next year the team wont be competitive but with any coach and gm you would have brought in it would be a 3-5 year process

Comment

• ICE74129
      Legendary Zoner
      • Feb 2005

I think if it is done right We can compete for a playoff spot in 07 in all reality. The key is this offseason addressing both lines. Then come next year when we add guys like a safety, TE, Whatever, the lines have had a full year together.

Comment

• tat2dmike77
        Let the planet get warmer. We'll grow oranges in Alaska!
        • Dec 2005

Maybe with MM gone adams will be more willing to stay and play hard like he did before.

I agree with the 2 year process but stranger things have happened i've said it before i will be happy if the bills go 8-8 next year.

I'm hoping they do draft hawk if he is there and if not i would like to see them draft carpentor in the 2nd rd.

The o-line is key this offseason by getting QUALITY FA linemen the O-line could improve this season and hopefully gel. It's all about gelling and coming together and playing as one unit. The bills haven't had the chemistry on the line for quite awhile now. These guys are almost like a new QB in a sense that the longer they play together the more they know how to work with each other.

Our WR are ok i dunno about parrish. I would like to see Joe Juerovicous come to buffalo. He's not the fastest guy on the field but he makes plays and he has good hands. Plus he's a solid veteran that could help with evans and possibly parrish.

TE we need a decent TE most definatlly. That has been killing this team for awhile now. But it looks like slim pickings this off season. Maybe there is a diamond in the rough out there in the draft?

Overall it should be a busy off season at OBD lets hope they make the right moves this year.

Comment

• L.A. Playa
          • Aug 2003

im not saying they wont compete for the playoffs in 2007 but the goal is to be a consistent winner not just a flash in the pan one lucky year winner, that is a 3-5 year process

Comment

• Kerr
            Hall of Fame Zoner
            • Feb 2005

These are guys in the FA market I would find intriguing that could possibly fit well into our cover 2 D. Some guys already play in a Cover 2 Scheme. It might make Jauron and company look at them first.

Cb/McQuarters, C2/Brian Kelly(if cap cut) or Will Allen
            DT/Ma'ake Kemoute(Best run stuffer out of the bunch), Rocky Benard(best pass rusher), C2/Larry Tripplett, C2/Damion Lewis or C2/Ryan Pickett.
            DE/C2/John Abraham(Risky signing, but could he play LE?), Aaron Kampman('nother high motor guy), Darren Howard(another RE) or RFA C2/Robert Mathis(Good role player as a pass rusher, but would have to give up something in return)
            S/C2/Adam Archuleta(Milloy would have to take a backseat because Archuleta won't be the backup), Corey Chavous and C2/Dexter Jackson.
            LB/Andra Davis(Could make Fletcher expendable)

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
              • Feb 2005

Free agency:
              Bentley
              Hutchinson
              Randle El
              Tag Clements
              Resign UFA Aiken, Schneck, Shelton, Edwards, Reed, Denney, Thomas, Bannan
              Tender RFA Mario Haggan, Stamer
              Retain exclusive rights FA Jabari Greer, Peters, L. Smith, S. Williams

Releases:
              Villarrial
              B. Anderson
              Campbell
              Adams

Trades:
              McGahee, Moulds, Milloy for a #1

Draft:
              1A - Jimmy Williams CB/SS
              1B - LenDale White RB
              2 - Hank Baskett WR
              3A - O-line
              3B - O-line

Offense:
              QB - Losman\Holcomb\rookie
              RB - LeDale White\Gates\S. Williams
              FB - Shelton
              WR - Evans\Randle El\Reed\Parrish\Hank Baskett\Aiken
              LT - Gandy\rookie
              LG - Hutchinson\L. Smith
              C - Bentley\Preston
              RG - Preston\rookie
              RT - Peters\Williams
              TE - Everett\Euhus\Neufeld

Defense:
              DE - Schobel\Kelsay\Denney
              DT - Bannan\Edwards\T. Anderson\rookie
              LB - Spikes\Fetcher\Crowell\Posey\Haggan\Stamer\rookie
              CB - Clements\McGee\King\Greer\Thomas
              FS - Vincent\Leonhard\Baker
              SS - Jimmy Williams\Wire

Special Teams:
              P - Moorman
              K - Lindell
              LS - Schneck

Comment

• That Guy
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by draz54
                Free agency:
                Bentley
                Hutchinson
                Randle El
                Tag Clements

Releases:
                Villarrial
                B. Anderson
                Campbell
                Adams

Trades:

Draft:
                1B - LenDale White RB
                2 - Hank Baskett WR
                3A - O-line
                3B - O-line

Offense:
                FB - Shelton
                LT - Gandy\rookie
                LG - Hutchinson\L. Smith
                C - Bentley\Preston
                RG - Preston\rookie
                RT - Peters\Williams

Defense:
                SS - Jimmy Williams\Wire

Special Teams:
                P - Moorman
                K - Lindell
                LS - Schneck
                You're funny. I actually don't believe the rebuilding process is going to be as complicated as most make it out to be. We need a couple solid drafts. Look at the Steelers and Seahawks and how they built their teams.

Comment

• L.A. Playa
                  • Aug 2003

I agree with That Guy what is missing the most is significant contributions from the last 2 draft classes besides Lee Evans what real contribution have we gotten from the last 2 draft classes? They key is developing those players along with a strong draft this year and for years to come with some key FA pickups here and there

Comment

• Bmax
                    • Aug 2003

Forget about all of those players...I mean we really don't need all those guys to run the cover 2. Have you guys forgotten that we ran a good deal of cover 2 this season in some games.. Carolina..... For one.... I talked to a guy who played at Div 1 big east school about the bills and the cover 2. He felt the bills safties would be fine it. It would actually prolong their careers. The safties in the cover 2 are responsible for one half of the field each. They don't have to cover one on one .

What the bills do need is DLINE help.. Tampa's def works because of the pass rush. As is the case with Indy, Chicago and St Louis. So Dline help is priority number one...The LB's on this team are athletic enough to perform in the cover 2 .

We will have to add some younger safities in the draft, but we don't need to pursue them in free agency. A DT and another pass rushing De should do the trick..

Bmax

Comment

• L.A. Playa
                      • Aug 2003

I think Ideally the Bills address the Interior OL and DL in FA, hopefully they can find quality players to fit their system at C, OG and DT with some experience which is helpful in the NF Lat those positions at a price they can afford.

Players are known to fall in the draft for no real reason so in an Ideal world Mario Williams will be there at # 8 and fill a hole as a dominating pass rusher and then at # 40 for no real reason S Darnell Bing fell and the Bills just filled another position and can release one of their aging S to save money on the cap.

No I know this is really unrealistic but would be a great thing to happen for the Bills

Comment

• Tatonka
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
                        1) Two DT's

2) A much better LDE. Kelsay and denny don't provide the pass rush needed from that side.

3) Two safetys.

4) A new ILB.

5) Another CB (if Clements is gone).
                        1. sam is under contract and does not have a large cap number.. there is no reason to assume he is gone.. so we need one DT.. and if we got one, i love the depth of anderson and edwards.

2. i have not given up on kelsay yet, but i can see that most have.. he has every bit of the talent to be as good as schobel.. but if we sign/draft another DE, then so be it.. i like denny and kelsay as depth for sure.

3. i am ok with baker at FS as depth.. vincent can play for a few more years at least.. and milloy is good for another year as well.. we need to draft his replacement.

4. fletcher is our ILB.. hawk would be nice, but fletcher does not NEED to be replaced.. we just need to draft a replacement for fletcher for at least the year after next.. although i will say that i like everything that i have seen from stamer.. and tko could be moved inside.. he is good enough to play any LB position.

5. we will need a new cb is clements is let go, but greer and king have not done bad.. mcgee has improved every year, no reason to think he wont again this year. hopefully greer and king will both take big strides this offseason as well.. there are several good CBs that could be had in the draft this year too.
                        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• ICE74129
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Tatonka
                          1. sam is under contract and does not have a large cap number.. there is no reason to assume he is gone.. so we need one DT.. and if we got one, i love the depth of anderson and edwards.

2. i have not given up on kelsay yet, but i can see that most have.. he has every bit of the talent to be as good as schobel.. but if we sign/draft another DE, then so be it.. i like denny and kelsay as depth for sure.

3. i am ok with baker at FS as depth.. vincent can play for a few more years at least.. and milloy is good for another year as well.. we need to draft his replacement.

4. fletcher is our ILB.. hawk would be nice, but fletcher does not NEED to be replaced.. we just need to draft a replacement for fletcher for at least the year after next.. although i will say that i like everything that i have seen from stamer.. and tko could be moved inside.. he is good enough to play any LB position.

5. we will need a new cb is clements is let go, but greer and king have not done bad.. mcgee has improved every year, no reason to think he wont again this year. hopefully greer and king will both take big strides this offseason as well.. there are several good CBs that could be had in the draft this year too.

Ok how about this. We sign a Bently to play center. We sign another Guard in FA as well as say Pickett to play DT.

Now we draft hawk to play OLB (Sorry man, I know fletch is great as a leader but too small, slow these days). Franchise clements and do the trade to say NYG for thier first. Draft an impact TE ( there are about 3 that can do that in this draft) Or a WR if we let Moulds go. Sign a Vet WR to help replace moulds as well.

Now you move Vincent back to CB for the cover two, Backer at FS. That leaves drafting Milloys replacement for next year.

Comment

• ICE74129
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by draz54
                            Free agency:
                            Bentley
                            Hutchinson
                            Randle El
                            Tag Clements

Releases:
                            Villarrial
                            B. Anderson
                            Campbell
                            Adams

Trades:

Draft:
                            1B - LenDale White RB
                            2 - Hank Baskett WR
                            3A - O-line
                            3B - O-line

Offense:
                            FB - Shelton
                            LT - Gandy\rookie
                            LG - Hutchinson\L. Smith
                            C - Bentley\Preston
                            RG - Preston\rookie
                            RT - Peters\Williams

Defense:
                            SS - Jimmy Williams\Wire

Special Teams:
                            P - Moorman
                            K - Lindell
                            LS - Schneck

A couple things. 1) Randle El is too small. Get a bigger WR in FA. 2) if we get White, I will flat run around my neighborhood but naked with jello all over my body! That kid WILL be better in the NFL than Bush. Just wait and see. Whomever gets L white gets a potential HOF RB.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                              • Feb 2005

I agree Randle El alone is too small... That's why we draft Hank Baskett - 6-4, 235, 4.5. That's a pretty good 3 right there and with Reed and Parish we have many good lineup possibilities to alternate the 2, 3, & 4 positions.

If you run naked with Jell-o... I'll get the pix and post them here.
                              Last edited by Yasgur's Farm; 02-04-2006, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X