PDA

View Full Version : CBA talks going in reverse

The_Philster
02-04-2006, 09:07 AM
As the NFL celebrates the 40th anniversary of the Super Bowl, a dark cloud is hovering over the league that could affect how it does business in the future.
Negotiations between the league and the NFL Players Association on extending the collective bargaining agreement have stalled to the point that neither side is optimistic of a breakthrough anytime soon.

"We're not making the kind of progress we need to be making," NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue said Friday during his annual state of the league address. "I don't think negotiations are going very well. I think that there needs to be an additional dose of reality on both sides of the table. I think that, to some degree, positions are hardening when they shouldn't be hardening." more (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060204/1026849.asp)

Novacane
02-04-2006, 09:16 AM
Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder are idiots

lordofgun
02-04-2006, 09:22 AM
I'm not worried. It will get done.

Typ0
02-04-2006, 09:25 AM
Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder are idiots

why because they stand the lose the most?

Novacane
02-04-2006, 09:30 AM
because they want to change the way it's done now

Typ0
02-04-2006, 09:32 AM
yeah...shame on them for trying to protect their investments.

Novacane
02-04-2006, 09:37 AM
They want no cap so they can outspend every other team. I don't care if they keep that x-tra revenue. I just want the cap to stay

G. Host
02-04-2006, 10:15 AM
Not only that but Gene Upshaw was actually praising Jones and especially $nyder saying they spend more than some other owners; of course $nyder has spent himself in a hole with salary cap so has good reasons why he does not want a salary cap implemented.

"They are going to have to decide how to spend their money if they're going to reach agreement among themselves," he said. "You might cut back on the coaches on your payroll. I love Dan Snyder because he spends a lot of money on players. But there are others in that high-revenue group who take in $300 million and have just a $66 million payroll."
espn (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2316888)

I expect some sort of deal to be made eventually and it will "forgive" teams which are in the hole. Over cap teams get something (bailout) and players get something (more money on table for salaries).

Bufftp
02-04-2006, 10:37 AM
Actually Typ0 an argument can be made that for very short term gain they are risking the long term stability of their investment. The stability of the league and how it has been managed has increased the values of the franchises dramatically. The NBA had such stability and gained fan base and franchises grew in value, they loss the stability and the franchise value growth has not kept up with the NFL

Stewie
02-04-2006, 11:12 AM

They should be seasoned enough to know that if there's no league, there's no investment. The Rooneys, the Hunts, hell even Ralph could have used hardball tactics to take over the league (especially when Ralph had to bail out other teams.)

But these guys knew that what was good for the league was good for them.

Jones, Snyder, and a couple others are being short sighted.

THATHURMANATOR
02-04-2006, 11:22 AM
The want no cap so they can outspend every other team. I don't care if they keep that x-tra revenue. I just want the cap to stay
:bf1: If the cap leaves so does the Bills chance of ever being successful and probably staying in Buffalo.

L.A. Playa
02-04-2006, 11:29 AM
with the amount of money that is generated in the NFL no owner would lose money in an uncapped world, they would only make lessof aprofit, thebottom line is that an NFL franchise is not the source of any of these guys income.

When professional sports it was never about making a profit it was about winning in my opinion the cap allows the ownerd to just make more profit and the ones that ***** about they wont be able to competeare just lying cheap bastards who dont want to see there profit margins shrink

ICE74129
02-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Look the reality is the NFLPA wants this to go uncapped. Then the players will vote to never have a cap again. It will get to a point owners won't be able to field teams with 7th round centers wanting 5 mill per year.

Novacane
02-04-2006, 12:44 PM
with the amount of money that is generated in the NFL no owner would lose money in an uncapped world, they would only make lessof aprofit, thebottom line is that an NFL franchise is not the source of any of these guys income.

Teams may still make money but they would not be able to compete for the best players. Higher revenue teams like Dallas, Washingtion, etc would be able to buy all the best FA's ala the Yankees in MLB. There would only be a few teams that actually had a chance every year.

L.A. Playa
02-04-2006, 12:48 PM
Teams may still make money but they would not be able to compete for the best players. Higher revenue teams like Dallas, Washingtion, etc would be able to buy all the best FA's ala the Yankees in MLB. There would only be a few teams that actually had a chance every year.

thats bs because the NFL shares its revenue unlike MLB, the TV contracts are split equally and thats the main source of money in the NFL each team will compete equally dont listen to the BS spewed by owners who want to keep money in their pocket rather than actually spend it

tat2dmike77
02-04-2006, 12:50 PM
At first i didn't like the whole cap thing. But now i think it's a good idea. Teams are ableto be competitive all across the board. Yeah there are teams like AZ and Detroit but there will always be teams like that. Cincy got themselves out of the losing hole.

The problem is all these star players want to make huge money and now it's a all about me league. The cap gives teams the oppurtunity to be competitive. It's not other owners fault if AZ can't get qualityFA to come to thier team. Thats just bad ownership and being cheap is what it boils down to.

I'm sure the players want the cap to be gone. They think that they would be swimming in the money when in fact it would hurt the whole league. But nowadays it's all about the bling bling. Someof these players are more concerned about making 7 million instead of 5 million. Jeez man i'd be happy with league minimum to be honest with ya. But who knows whats gonna happen. I just hope that someone comes to thier senses about the whole thing.

The_Philster
02-04-2006, 12:53 PM
I hate to agree with Novacane, but he's right..not all money is shared...premium seating fees are solely the property of the home team...some teams would have an unfair advantage...money received from premium seating and other team-only funds (parking fees, concessions, etc) can add up considerably..allowing some teams to afford to pay more than others.

The_Philster
02-04-2006, 12:55 PM
Hopefully they can get things worked out...if the players push too hard, they'll ruin it for future players. The popularity of the league is as high as it is today because of the parity..and the fact that any team can win

Novacane
02-04-2006, 12:56 PM
thats bs because the NFL shares its revenue unlike MLB, the TV contracts are split equally and thats the main source of money in the NFL each team will compete equally dont listen to the BS spewed by owners who want to keep money in their pocket rather than actually spend it

Did you read the link? They do not share all revenue. Just TV, Ticket sales and merchandising. Dallas, Giants, Jets, etc can charge a lot more for luxery boxes, naming rights, in stadium advertising, parking, etc than Buffalo can. That could be millions more and let them buy the best players if there is no cap

L.A. Playa
02-04-2006, 12:58 PM
The easy way to change everything is make contracts guarnteed and have a cap but there will be a dollar for dollar luxury tax to be distributed equally amongst the other 31 teams if you go over the cap.

This would 1 not allow owners to backload contracts that they never intend to honor and 2 allow teams to go over the cap but be penalized if they do and give back to the other teams that dont go over the cap

It keeps competitive balance and gives players a little more financial security and gets rid of massive signing bonuses

Novacane
02-04-2006, 12:59 PM
I hate to agree with Novacane,.

Why do you hate to agree if I am right? You got a problem with me or something :(

Novacane
02-04-2006, 01:02 PM
It keeps competitive balance and gives players a little more financial security and gets rid of massive signing bonuses

I think the players like massive signing bonuses

L.A. Playa
02-04-2006, 01:03 PM
Did you read the link? They do not share all revenue. Just TV, Ticket sales and merchandising. Dallas, Giants, Jets, etc can charge a lot more luxery boxes, naming rights, in stadium advertising, parking, etc than Buffalo can. That could be millions more and let them buy the best players if there is no cap

Thats the majority of the money in the NFL, these guys juice their books to cry a loss if an owner is committed to win he will do what it takes and they have the money so it is BS, if they take a "REAL" loss in a year which is basically impossible if your only revenue was the TV contract alone you can just write it off on your taxes anyway.

These owners have made the biggest "not for profit" corporation in the NFL one of the biggest profit corporations in the world, why do you think its so hard to get a franchise.

Bottom line is when they started the NFL or AFL there was no profit involved just pride. Now that some owners want to spend their money to have the pride of winning they are *******s, I disagree the *******s are the ones that dont want to spend the money for the pride of winning but instaead want to line their pockets with the fans money

L.A. Playa
02-04-2006, 01:04 PM
I think the players like massive signing bonuses

they do but thats why alot of them are broke 5 years after they retire

L.A. Playa
02-04-2006, 01:05 PM
one thing that would solve alot of problems is a true rookie cap similar to what the NBA does it would eliminate alot of early entries and actually keep player costs down,

Novacane
02-04-2006, 01:10 PM
one thing that would solve alot of problems is a true rookie cap similar to what the NBA does it would eliminate alot of early entries and actually keep player costs down,

That I agree with 100% Teams would not have to throw insane dollars at losers like Mike Williams.