X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

CBA talks going in reverse

As the NFL celebrates the 40th anniversary of the Super Bowl, a dark cloud is hovering over the league that could affect how it does business in the future.
    Negotiations between the league and the NFL Players Association on extending the collective bargaining agreement have stalled to the point that neither side is optimistic of a breakthrough anytime soon.

"We're not making the kind of progress we need to be making," NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue said Friday during his annual state of the league address. "I don't think negotiations are going very well. I think that there needs to be an additional dose of reality on both sides of the table. I think that, to some degree, positions are hardening when they shouldn't be hardening."
    more
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!
  • Novacane
    • Jul 2002

Re: CBA talks going in reverse

Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder are idiots

Comment

• lordofgun
      in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

I'm not worried. It will get done.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Typ0
        honey pie
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Novacane
        Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder are idiots

why because they stand the lose the most?

Comment

• Novacane
          • Jul 2002

because they want to change the way it's done now

Comment

• Typ0
            honey pie
            • Jul 2002

yeah...shame on them for trying to protect their investments.

Comment

• Novacane
              • Jul 2002

They want no cap so they can outspend every other team. I don't care if they keep that x-tra revenue. I just want the cap to stay
              Last edited by Novacane; 02-04-2006, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• G. Host
                Banned
                • Jul 2002

Not only that but Gene Upshaw was actually praising Jones and especially $nyder saying they spend more than some other owners; of course $nyder has spent himself in a hole with salary cap so has good reasons why he does not want a salary cap implemented.

"They are going to have to decide how to spend their money if they're going to reach agreement among themselves," he said. "You might cut back on the coaches on your payroll. I love Dan Snyder because he spends a lot of money on players. But there are others in that high-revenue group who take in $300 million and have just a $66 million payroll."
                espn

I expect some sort of deal to be made eventually and it will "forgive" teams which are in the hole. Over cap teams get something (bailout) and players get something (more money on table for salaries).

Comment

• Bufftp
                  Hi Dave!

Administrator Emeritus
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Typ0
                  Actually Typ0 an argument can be made that for very short term gain they are risking the long term stability of their investment. The stability of the league and how it has been managed has increased the values of the franchises dramatically. The NBA had such stability and gained fan base and franchises grew in value, they loss the stability and the franchise value growth has not kept up with the NFL
                  Photobucket

In the end, there are only three liberal archetypes: The fools, the beneficiaries and the crooks.
                  "If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life"
                  Optyimus Ignorus Realityious!

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
                  - John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

To live in the presence of great truths and eternal laws,
                  to be led by permanent ideals -
                  that is what keeps a man patient
                  when the world ignores him,
                  and calm and unspoiled when the world praises him. -- Honore De Balzac

Comment

• Stewie
                    Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
                    • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Typ0
                    They should be seasoned enough to know that if there's no league, there's no investment. The Rooneys, the Hunts, hell even Ralph could have used hardball tactics to take over the league (especially when Ralph had to bail out other teams.)

But these guys knew that what was good for the league was good for them.

Jones, Snyder, and a couple others are being short sighted.
                    Originally posted by Topdog
                    Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
                    Originally posted by mercyrule
                    I love Weiner.
                    Originally posted by mercyrule
                    also cheese

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                      • Jul 2002

The want no cap so they can outspend every other team. I don't care if they keep that x-tra revenue. I just want the cap to stay
                      If the cap leaves so does the Bills chance of ever being successful and probably staying in Buffalo.

Comment

• L.A. Playa
                        • Aug 2003

with the amount of money that is generated in the NFL no owner would lose money in an uncapped world, they would only make lessof aprofit, thebottom line is that an NFL franchise is not the source of any of these guys income.

When professional sports it was never about making a profit it was about winning in my opinion the cap allows the ownerd to just make more profit and the ones that ***** about they wont be able to competeare just lying cheap bastards who dont want to see there profit margins shrink

Comment

• ICE74129
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Feb 2005

Look the reality is the NFLPA wants this to go uncapped. Then the players will vote to never have a cap again. It will get to a point owners won't be able to field teams with 7th round centers wanting 5 mill per year.

Comment

• Novacane
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by L.A. Playa
                            with the amount of money that is generated in the NFL no owner would lose money in an uncapped world, they would only make lessof aprofit, thebottom line is that an NFL franchise is not the source of any of these guys income.

Teams may still make money but they would not be able to compete for the best players. Higher revenue teams like Dallas, Washingtion, etc would be able to buy all the best FA's ala the Yankees in MLB. There would only be a few teams that actually had a chance every year.

Comment

• L.A. Playa
                              • Aug 2003

Teams may still make money but they would not be able to compete for the best players. Higher revenue teams like Dallas, Washingtion, etc would be able to buy all the best FA's ala the Yankees in MLB. There would only be a few teams that actually had a chance every year.
                              thats bs because the NFL shares its revenue unlike MLB, the TV contracts are split equally and thats the main source of money in the NFL each team will compete equally dont listen to the BS spewed by owners who want to keep money in their pocket rather than actually spend it

Comment

Working...
                              X