PDA

View Full Version : 'I wanted to be a coach'

The_Philster
02-05-2006, 08:27 AM
The late afternoon sunlight has dissolved to the color of weak tea, pushing the shadows deeper into the living room, and Lou Saban is still going strong after three hours of talking about football.
He sits on a couch in his Myrtle Beach home, soft jazz murmuring on the stereo and Lola, one of his two miniature poodles, perched on a cushion behind his left shoulder.
It is a passionate discourse, and if you close your eyes and listen carefully to the pitch and timbre of his voice, to the thunder of his laugh and softer tones of disappointment and loss, you see it for what it is, a coach's life stretching more than 50 years, five yards at a time. more (http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/news/local/13796784.htm)

Earthquake Enyart
02-06-2006, 08:01 AM
I wish Lou Saban would write a book. It would be waaay more interesting than Marv's.

Spiderweb
02-06-2006, 09:59 AM
Yeah, great idea. If he writes a book, it could be called, "I wanted to be a Coach, but I never could figure out where."

Saban was a good coach but as stabile as nitro glycerine. Let's not get into revisionist history, or the sweet nothings of nostalgia. He should always be remembered for exactly what he was, a quitter.

He walked on us after the 1965 championship and quit in early mid-season in 1976. He then landed at Maryland - quit, then Miami University - quit. What he should be known for was an absolute waste of talent.

Jeez............He is what he should be, an afterthought, nothing more....

Earthquake Enyart
02-06-2006, 10:30 AM
Yeah, great idea. If he writes a book, it could be called, "I wanted to be a Coach, but I never could figure out where."

Saban was a good coach but as stabile as nitro glycerine. Let's not get into revisionist history, or the sweet nothings of nostalgia. He should always be remembered for exactly what he was, a quitter.

He walked on us after the 1965 championship and quit in early mid-season in 1976. He then landed at Maryland - quit, then Miami University - quit. What he should be known for was an absolute waste of talent.

Jeez............He is what he should be, an afterthought, nothing more....
He was a troubled genius!

I'd love to know what really went on between him and Ralph.

Historian
02-06-2006, 10:52 AM
The Bills, 1-13 in 1961, signed him as a scout and then owner Ralph Wilson Jr. offered him Buffalo's head coaching job going into the 1962 season.

The Bills were 6-8 in 1961.

I hate it when these guys don't do their research.

GGRRRRRR!

LifetimeBillsFan
02-06-2006, 10:55 AM
I'd love to know what Saban thought of Cookie Gilchrist and the trade that sent Daryl Lamonica to Oakland....

Historian
02-06-2006, 10:58 AM
All I can add, is that one day, about five or six years ago, he was on Maguire's Budweiser Sportsline. Paul asked him who was the greatest player he had ever coached, and without a second's hesitation, he said....Tommy Sestak.

The_Philster
02-06-2006, 04:28 PM
All I can add, is that one day, about five or six years ago, he was on Maguire's Budweiser Sportsline. Paul asked him who was the greatest player he had ever coached, and without a second's hesitation, he said....Tommy Sestak.
can't argue with that..still a travesty he hasn't made it into Canton yet :mad: