X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

'I wanted to be a coach'

The late afternoon sunlight has dissolved to the color of weak tea, pushing the shadows deeper into the living room, and Lou Saban is still going strong after three hours of talking about football.
    He sits on a couch in his Myrtle Beach home, soft jazz murmuring on the stereo and Lola, one of his two miniature poodles, perched on a cushion behind his left shoulder.
    It is a passionate discourse, and if you close your eyes and listen carefully to the pitch and timbre of his voice, to the thunder of his laugh and softer tones of disappointment and loss, you see it for what it is, a coach's life stretching more than 50 years, five yards at a time. more
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!
  • Earthquake Enyart
    Legendary Zoner
    • Jul 2002

Re: 'I wanted to be a coach'

I wish Lou Saban would write a book. It would be waaay more interesting than Marv's.

Comment

• Spiderweb
      ....formerly OhBF
      • Sep 2003

Yeah, great idea. If he writes a book, it could be called, "I wanted to be a Coach, but I never could figure out where."

Saban was a good coach but as stabile as nitro glycerine. Let's not get into revisionist history, or the sweet nothings of nostalgia. He should always be remembered for exactly what he was, a quitter.

He walked on us after the 1965 championship and quit in early mid-season in 1976. He then landed at Maryland - quit, then Miami University - quit. What he should be known for was an absolute waste of talent.

Jeez............He is what he should be, an afterthought, nothing more....
      Spiderweb

Need a Hero? Try looking within your
      own family. You might be surprised.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
        Legendary Zoner
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OhBF
        Yeah, great idea. If he writes a book, it could be called, "I wanted to be a Coach, but I never could figure out where."

Saban was a good coach but as stabile as nitro glycerine. Let's not get into revisionist history, or the sweet nothings of nostalgia. He should always be remembered for exactly what he was, a quitter.

He walked on us after the 1965 championship and quit in early mid-season in 1976. He then landed at Maryland - quit, then Miami University - quit. What he should be known for was an absolute waste of talent.

Jeez............He is what he should be, an afterthought, nothing more....
        He was a troubled genius!

I'd love to know what really went on between him and Ralph.

Comment

• Historian
          2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
          • Dec 2002

The Bills, 1-13 in 1961, signed him as a scout and then owner Ralph Wilson Jr. offered him Buffalo's head coaching job going into the 1962 season.
          The Bills were 6-8 in 1961.

I hate it when these guys don't do their research.

GGRRRRRR!

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Aug 2004

I'd love to know what Saban thought of Cookie Gilchrist and the trade that sent Daryl Lamonica to Oakland....
            Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• Historian
              2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
              • Dec 2002

All I can add, is that one day, about five or six years ago, he was on Maguire's Budweiser Sportsline. Paul asked him who was the greatest player he had ever coached, and without a second's hesitation, he said....Tommy Sestak.

Comment

• The_Philster
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Billsology
                All I can add, is that one day, about five or six years ago, he was on Maguire's Budweiser Sportsline. Paul asked him who was the greatest player he had ever coached, and without a second's hesitation, he said....Tommy Sestak.
                can't argue with that..still a travesty he hasn't made it into Canton yet
                The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

Working...
                X