PDA

View Full Version : another good LT we should look at in the draft

Tatonka
02-05-2006, 02:11 PM
i have seen LSU play at least 10-15 times at a minimum over the last 3 years.. this guy is a gamer... and because this draft really is so deep at LT specifically (along with LB and RB) a guy like this should/could go in the 2nd..

i think with mcnally's coaching, he could be a steal.

Andrew Whitworth - 6'7", 322lbs.
http://2006.ontheclockdraft.com/images/players/thumbs/AndrewWhitworth.jpg

http://2006.ontheclockdraft.com/profile.php?id=20050721053099234056

Devin
02-05-2006, 03:29 PM
Whitworth is a beast!!!

Hed be a nice addition in the 2nd possibly.

The Spaz
02-05-2006, 04:14 PM
I like him as well.:up::beers:

DraftBoy
02-05-2006, 05:44 PM
Agreed, if he fals to us in rd 3, id like him....rd 2 maybe although it could also be a reach at that point/

finsrclowns
02-05-2006, 07:50 PM
I'm not crazy about the guy. He's not a great pass blocker. I think he'll end up as a RT in the pro's.

Tatonka
02-05-2006, 11:41 PM
i agree that he should probably start out as a right tackle.. but he could end up moving to LT at some point..

but i would be fine with Peters moving to LT and whitworth competing with gandy for the RT spot..

and after some time with mcnally, whitworth may be a very good LT. he already had tons of experience there. he has the skill to be a good pass blocker.. he just needs to learn the right technique.

Bmax
02-06-2006, 01:13 AM
Whitworth would be a good pick in rd 2.. He had a pretty good game in the Peach Bowl against Miami.

Bmax

LifetimeBillsFan
02-06-2006, 01:54 AM
Whitworth is a possibility.

Most of the ratings that I have seen have Boise State's Daryn Colledge, LSU's Andrew Whitworth and BC's Jeremy Trueblood ranked roughly together with some having one higher than the others and others have a different one of the three ranked higher.

I saw a fair amount of games that all three played--but I probably saw more of Colledge in games where I was really concentrating on the OT play and like Colledge a little more than Whitworth and Trueblood, but IMHO all three have the potential to be solid pros.

For what it's worth: I think that Colledge is the better pass-blocker--he played in a passing offense and did a very good job at the Senior Bowl. Think of a bigger Logan Mankins with the quick feet needed to play LOT.

On the other hand, I think that Whitworth is a better run-blocker than Colledge, but not quite as good a pass-blocker. I agree that he may have to start on the right side. I'm not so sure how well he would adapt to flip-flopping sides or if he has the quickness to be a top-flight pass-blocker in the pros, but he seems to have a bit of a mean-streak in him that you'd like to see in an offensive lineman.

I would have liked to see more of Trueblood at the Senior Bowl, where they had him playing RT. He's a guy I've had my eye on the last couple of seasons who has come a long way since I first saw him. He is huge and wasn't very fluid when I first saw him, but it seems like he has really matured physically (to where his mind is catching up with and getting comfortable with the size of his body) in the last year. While he still seems a little clumsy at times, I saw him in some games where he was able to absolutely dominate his opponent. Because of the lingering clumsiness, I'm really not sure if he will have the quickness to be consistent on the NFL level at LOT or if that's something that he will overcome as he continues to mature and improve technique-wise. Consequently, like Whitworth, he's a guy who may have to start out on the right side as well. Trueblood is a guy who doesn't look like he has a mean-streak, but, as he showed in getting thrown out of the Senior Bowl, he can be nasty and won't take a cheap shot without retaliating. He strikes me as a guy who is still developing physically and isn't as physically mature as Colledge or Whitworth, but he is also a guy who has improved a lot and continued to improve and may have more upside than the other two guys down the road.

All of the draft sites that I have seen have these three guys going in the second round, but with Eric Winston slipping some, he may push one of them down into the early third round.

Because of the problems that the Bills had with Mike Williams not being able to make the transition to LT and that other RTs have had in making that transistion on the pro level, I would be a bit concerned if the Bills were to take a tackle in this draft that they know will have to start out on the right side and will have to hope can make the transition to left tackle later on. I would prefer guys like Jonathan Scott and Colledge, who have the ability to start out on the left side, over guys like Winston Justice, Whitworth or Trueblood who might have to start on the right side and transition over to the left. All of these guys, though, have the size and strength that you would want in a left tackle and I would prefer any of them to Marcus McNeill who has tremendous size, but such horrible technique in pass-blocking (UGH!) that he is my odds-on favorite to be a bust amongst this year's crop of offensive tackles.

Tatonka
02-06-2006, 06:45 AM
good post lifetime.