PDA

View Full Version : did Seattle get robbed?

OpIv37
02-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Face it, the officiating was horrible:

1. The touchdown by Rothlisbergenheimensteiner. That one may have been the right call, but it was about as close as they come and it went in Pitt's favor
2. the PI in the endzone- that wasn't much of a push-off.
3. The holding on the play that would have set up 1st and Goal
4. Calling that illegal block on Hasselbeck when he was trying to tackle, not block- wtf?

I wanted Pitt to get a ring because of Bettis, but it seems a little fishy that there were 4 major questionable calls and all of them went in Pittsburgh's favor.

Ingtar33
02-05-2006, 10:20 PM
the hold was a hold.
the Big Ben TD could have gone either way
the PI was a REALLY weak, ticky-tick call
the illegal block was 'letter of the law' right, but a horrible call, none the less.

Seattle had a lot of close calls go against them, but in reality didn't do enough or play good enough to deserve to win.

AndreReed83
02-05-2006, 10:24 PM
Not only that, but as far as I remember, no holding was called on Pitt (I saw at least 4 that should have been called, because the hold led to a big gain, including the 75 yard touchdown run). Meanwhile, I believe the Seahawks got called on it at least 6, if not 7 times. I know the first two were good calls, the next two were non-existant. I think the rest were bogus as well, especially the one on the 3rd and six and the Stevens' 1st and goal one.

My point is, how can you call a penalty that happens EVERY play in some form or another on one team about 7 times, and not call it AT ALL on the other team. The NFL is operated by a bunch of ****tards who think they know what all of it's fans want to see. When all we really want is a fair game.

Novacane
02-05-2006, 10:25 PM
Worst officiated SB I can remember

chernobylwraiths
02-05-2006, 10:26 PM
hold was a crap call and weak at best

TD call COULD have gone either way, but the ref didn't call a TD until he got up on top of the QB meaning he didn't think he got in right away and only thought he was in when he saw the QB with the ball over the line. Either call the TD right away or don't. I'm sure the review was "inconclusive" though it looked pretty conclusive to me.

LtBillsFan66
02-05-2006, 10:26 PM
the hold was a hold.
the illegal block was 'letter of the law' right, but a horrible call, none the less.

Seattle had a lot of close calls go against them, but in reality didn't do enough or play good enough to deserve to win.
Agreed.

clumping platelets
02-05-2006, 10:43 PM
I disagree about the holding call......that was a back breaker

lordofgun
02-05-2006, 10:45 PM
Ummm...what about the Darrell Jackson TD right before the half that wasn't even reviewed!! He clearly had one foot in and the other foot clipped the pylon. No one even mentioned it!

Crisis
02-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Ummm...what about the Darrell Jackson TD right before the half that wasn't even reviewed!! He clearly had one foot in and the other foot clipped the pylon. No one even mentioned it!

They showed a replay and his right foot was clearly out!

kgun12
02-05-2006, 10:47 PM
Worst officiated SB I can remember

the hold was a hold.

Bill Brasky
02-05-2006, 10:47 PM
I will just say this... if it were the Bills that lost this game, I would be outraged.

Crisis
02-05-2006, 10:48 PM
Neither team played well enough to win, but the fact is WHENEVER Seattle had a CHANCE at getting ANY momentum, they would get a phantom penalty called.

AndreReed83
02-05-2006, 10:49 PM
The play should have at least been reviewed. I don't really know how to disect the play, but I thought his left calf was what knocked over the pylon eventually. I don't know how you would rule that though.

kgun12
02-05-2006, 10:50 PM
I will just say this... if it were the Bills that lost this game, I would be outraged.

That's the best part of it. Who gives a crap it was Seattle (nfc) and Steelers. The only reason I wanted them to win was AFC.

lordofgun
02-05-2006, 10:50 PM
They showed a replay and his right foot was clearly out!
The right foot clearly nicked the pylon!

LtBillsFan66
02-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Yeah, but doesn't the second foot still have to come down in bounds?

Crisis
02-05-2006, 10:51 PM

If I remember right he was a good yard away from the pylon!

kgun12
02-05-2006, 10:52 PM

His foot might have it the pylon,

BUT when his foot touched out of bounds the ball was learly out and never crossed the goalline. The bal is the key not the foot.

lordofgun
02-05-2006, 10:53 PM
No.

lordofgun
If I remember right he was a good yard away from the pylon!
Nope.

LtBillsFan66
1) He didn't get two feet in.
2) He did hit the pylon.
3) The ball didn't cross the plane.

Throne Logic

We debated this for a while. Everyone was focused on his feet. I don't think the ball actually landed in his arms until that foot landed out of bounds outside of the endzone.

LtBillsFan66
02-05-2006, 10:54 PM
No.
I think you're wrong.

lordofgun
His foot might have it the pylon,

BUT when his foot touched out of bounds the ball was learly out and never crossed the goalline. The bal is the key not the foot.
Incorrect. If any part of your body touches the pylon, it counts as a TD. Michael Vick play this year was a prime example.

LtBillsFan66
Incorrect. If any part of your body touches the pylon, it counts as a TD. Michael Vick play this year was a prime example.
That was a run. This was a reception. He didn't get two feet down.

lordofgun
02-05-2006, 10:55 PM
1) He didn't get two feet in.
2) He did hit the pylon.
3) The ball didn't cross the plane.
1 When his second dfoot hit the pylon, that counts as 2 feet in.
2 yep
3 doesn't matter.

lordofgun
02-05-2006, 10:55 PM
That was a run. This was a reception. He didn't get two feet down.
Yes he did. The pylon counts as a foot down.

LtBillsFan66
02-05-2006, 10:56 PM
2 yep
3 doesn't matter.
If you are right about the rule, then it should have been a td.

LtBillsFan66
02-05-2006, 10:56 PM
But I doubt you are right.

AndreReed83
02-05-2006, 10:57 PM
That's the best part of it. Who gives a crap it was Seattle (nfc) and Steelers. The only reason I wanted them to win was AFC.

That's the worst part of it, imo. This game proves what we all started believing when the Pats won their 1st SB. The NFL only cares about storylines, and will cheat to get that storyline. Sure, it's nice for the people that care if an AFC team wins it (Which, I personally could care less about, I'd rather have the team win without officiating favoritism) but what if the Bills ever played in another Superbowl, say against the Cowboys. The big story would be that the Cowboys could win and regain the title of most wins in the Superbowl. See the problem?

Ingtar33
02-05-2006, 10:58 PM
it's not a phantom penalty if your right guard or right tackle is grabbing the back of every Pit defender who blows past him

chernobylwraiths
02-05-2006, 10:59 PM

Yes, it still has to be a catch first. He wasn't even close to being in bounds. Clipping the pylon meant nothing, his foot still landed out.

chernobylwraiths
02-05-2006, 11:00 PM
2 yep
3 doesn't matter.

No, you are wrong. Still need two feet to hit the freaking ground.

AndreReed83
02-05-2006, 11:00 PM
We debated this for a while. Everyone was focused on his feet. I don't think the ball actually landed in his arms until that foot landed out of bounds outside of the endzone.

Throne, I distinctly watched the ball on the ONE replay they showed of the play (why only ONE?!?!) and he did catch the ball and at least one foot down. After that, it's anyone's guess. Anybody use TiVo?

DaBills
02-05-2006, 11:03 PM
Nevermind that. What about the ticky-tac penalty for pushing-off in the endzone negating a Seahawks’ touchdown?

Steelers are the new Pats.

Ingtar33
02-05-2006, 11:08 PM
btw: LOG you're wrong.

2 feet must touch the ground in the field of play

The pylon is a different matter and you're mixing up two different rules. For there to be a touchdown on that play the receiver first must establish possession in the field of play (two feet down in bounds). Two the ball must cross the goal-line, while in the possession of a player (or in the case of a pass, be in the possession of a player after it’s passed across the goal-line).

What you are thinking about LOG, is the case where the ball carrier has possession and is out of bounds (without touching the ground, thereby establishing himself as out of bounds)... in other words... he's airborne... in this case, some part of his body must cross over the pylon, and the ball must cross the imaginary goal-line which extends beyond the out of bounds marker for it to be ruled a touchdown.

On that play, Jackson had one foot down in bounds, when he caught the ball, and his second foot came down, CLEARLY out of bounds.

He never established possession in the field of play, therefore it is not a catch. The rule is the same in the endzone as it is on the 50 yard line.

AndreReed83
02-05-2006, 11:14 PM
Really on that Jackson pylon play, Jackson deserves to be crapped on. Come on man, it's the Superbowl, make an effort to get both feet down! Gah!

Ingtar33
02-05-2006, 11:21 PM
and you're right, jackson should have laid out... it was a perfect pass, and should have been a touchdown.

ddaryl
02-06-2006, 12:35 AM
The NFL obviously gives the SB win to whom they want. I'm tired of these lame questionable calls determining outcomes.

SabreEleven
02-06-2006, 12:49 AM
Check out this article

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5310192

AndreReed83
02-06-2006, 01:02 AM
That article is spot on. The Warrick-Punt Return holding call was ridiculous. Pruitt threw two text book blocks. In fact, the first block he threw, the Steelers player grabbed HIS jersey. I didn't even notice the offsides on the phantom holding call, but I do know that on an earlier sack on 3rd down, Clark Haggans was in the backfield before Hasslebeck even got the ball in his hands. Haggans didn't make the sack, but it threw the blocking scheme completely off. What's sad is nothing will be done. The NFL, NFL films, ESPN, etc. will dress the game up as the Bus' homecoming and won't mention the calls. Others who try to point out the bad calls will be labeled as whiners. The NFL is in a sad state. That state will only get worse.

SabreEleven
02-06-2006, 01:07 AM
Sign here

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?nfl12006&1

LifetimeBillsFan
02-06-2006, 03:31 AM
Yeah, Seattle got screwed.

If I were a Seahawks fan, I would be livid. As it was, I was so disgusted that I turned the game off with 5 minutes left because the refs had already decided the outcome.

If the holding call that negated the pass to the two yard line was legit, then Hines Ward's tackle on the DB on Roethlisberger's first down run with 6 minutes left was holding as well. And, that was only one obvious hold that was not called against Pittsburgh.

Where was the off-sides call on the sack following that play?

Also, if Roethlisberger was in the end zone on his TD, then Mack Strong definitely got a first down on 3rd down on the preceding series when the ref moved the ball back nearly a full yard and Seattle came up 3 inches short.

Virtually every call went against Seattle and the calls were entirely one-sided. While you can argue that this call or that call may or may not have been legit, the fact is that every time Seattle had momentum and threatened to take control of the game or get back into the game, they got a penalty, while the Steelers had almost no calls go against them at critical times in the game.

If the team playing the Steelers had been wearing Bills uniforms instead of Seattle's unis, everyone here would be screaming at the top of their lungs about how the refs screwed us again.

But, then again, it shouldn't have been surprising that the refs dictated the outcome of the game in favor of the Steelers--all you had to do was listen to how everyone fell all over them before the game and watch how many Steelers' faces showed up in the ads during the game to know who the money was on and who the league and advertisers wanted to win. The only thing that was truly surprising was how blatantly one-sided and biased the officiating was--there was no attempt to even appear to be even-handed.

The Steelers didn't play well enough to deserve to win. They may have won the Super Bowl, but not with a championship performance. And, not without a lot of help from the referees.

Historian
02-06-2006, 05:49 AM
It doesn't take much to alter the course, (hence the outcome) of any game.

All the refs have to do is throw a flag for holding on a third down conversion (happened to Seattle yesterday) Instead of a converted 3 and 6, its now a 3rd and 16, and chances are that they're not going to convert. Do that twice in one game, and you stall two drives.

You only get the ball so many times.

Conversely, throw a flag on defense for PI or illegal contact (my personal fav!) and you can keep the other team alive.

Seems pretty simple to me.

Gunzlingr
02-06-2006, 06:12 AM
What irked me was the chattering monkey John Madden even called them bad calls. At the Half both Young and Irvin said that Seattle's PI call was bogus. I think the officiating was horrible. Nothing can be done now, but I was calling shenanigans during the game.