PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Bills called the flagship franchise of the AFL?

FirstDownBills
02-06-2006, 12:22 AM
Hey, I'm currently working on a research paper that backs up the claim that the Buffalo Bills are the flagship franchise of the AFL, but I am having some trouble finding information. Can anyone give me some general or in-depth knowledge as to why they are? Cause throughout my research I've been finding more information that supports the claim that the Kansas City Chiefs are the flagship franchise, and not the Buffalo Bills. All assistance would be appreciated, thanks.

SabreEleven
02-06-2006, 12:25 AM
I've never heard that said.

Dozerdog
02-06-2006, 12:37 AM
What do you mean by "Flagship" franchise?

They were an original member. (one of 8 teams)

dplus47
02-06-2006, 01:41 AM
What do you mean by "Flagship" franchise?

They were an original member. (one of 8 teams)

i believe that makes them "a" flagship franchise, and not "the" flagship franchise. although it seems to me there should only be one flagship if the term is used correctly. maybe the fleet has doubles of the admiral on several ships?

dplus47
02-06-2006, 01:42 AM
here's a decent link, though i'm sure you might have better sources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Football_League#League_history

LifetimeBillsFan
02-06-2006, 02:41 AM
As I recall--you may have to look this up for confirmation--it was Lamar Hunt, Bud Adams and Ralph Wilson who decided to form the AFL and they added other owners later.

Hunt's franchise originally started in Dallas, as the Texans, before they were moved to Kansas City.

Adams' franchise was the Houston Oilers, who moved, not so long ago, and became the Tennessee Titans.

Wilson's franchise was originally slated to be in Chicago, I believe, but, before the league was officially founded, there was some kind of problem with putting a team in the city that they had originally discussed and Wilson decided to locate his franchise in Buffalo, where the Bills have remained since the AFL officially began.

In that sense, the Bills really are the flagship franchise of the AFL because, of the original eight AFL teams, only Buffalo and Denver are still in the same city with the same name as they had when the league was founded and the Bills are the only team left that still has the same owner. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Denver was the last ownership group to join the original eight franchise league.

The Original Eight AFL teams and where they are now:
Dallas Texans=KC Chiefs
Houston Oilers=Tennessee Titans
LA Chargers=San Diego Chargers
Boston Patriots=New England Patriots (Foxboro)
New York Titans=New York Jets (NJ Meadowlands)
Oakland Raiders=LA Raiders=Oakland Raiders (Kezar Stadium SF)
Denver Broncos=Denver Broncos
Buffalo Bills=Buffalo Bills

Historian
02-06-2006, 04:39 AM
As I recall--you may have to look this up for confirmation--it was Lamar Hunt, Bud Adams and Ralph Wilson who decided to form the AFL and they added other owners later.

Actually, Ralph was one of the last guys to be asked to join. He didn't really "found" anything, although is is one of the original 8.

Hunt's franchise originally started in Dallas, as the Texans, before they were moved to Kansas City.

Adams' franchise was the Houston Oilers, who moved, not so long ago, and became the Tennessee Titans.

Wilson's franchise was originally slated to be in Chicago, I believe, but, before the league was officially founded, there was some kind of problem with putting a team in the city that they had originally discussed and Wilson decided to locate his franchise in Buffalo, where the Bills have remained since the AFL officially began.

It was Miami...and he couldn't get a lease with the Orange Bowl.

In that sense, the Bills really are the flagship franchise of the AFL because, of the original eight AFL teams, only Buffalo and Denver are still in the same city with the same name as they had when the league was founded and the Bills are the only team left that still has the same owner. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Denver was the last ownership group to join the original eight franchise league.

This is just opinion.

The Original Eight AFL teams and where they are now:
Dallas Texans=KC Chiefs
Houston Oilers=Tennessee Titans
LA Chargers=San Diego Chargers
Boston Patriots=New England Patriots (Foxboro)
New York Titans=New York Jets (NJ Meadowlands)
Oakland Raiders=LA Raiders=Oakland Raiders (Kezar Stadium SF)
Denver Broncos=Denver Broncos
Buffalo Bills=Buffalo Bills

The NY Titans played in the New York Polo Grounds. The Boston Patriots played at Harvard Stadium, Boston University, Fenway Park, and Boston U.

BTW...All this information is readilly available in our History Zone. I suggest you look there.

LifetimeBillsFan
02-06-2006, 06:23 AM
Thanks for the corrections, Billsology.

I really thought that Wilson was one of the original guys to discuss the league with Hunt and Adams, but I guess I was wrong.

I knew he originally was going to put the team in another big city, but couldn't recall which it was.

As for the stadiums, I messed up: I meant to put the stadiums that they play in now in parentheses, but in typing out Oakland, with its moves, I got it backwards (they started at Kezar, while the other two teams moved from their original sites to locations away from their original city--not sure how far Foxboro is from Boston, but, while the Meadowlands isn't far, it is in another state).

Historian
02-06-2006, 06:44 AM
The Jets moved to a new Shea Stadium in 1964 I think. The Raiders started at Kezar, then moved to Frank Youell Field, then OACC.

Oilers-Jeppensen then Astrodome.

Again, Dozer has put together a magnificent history section right here on this website. I highly recomend it to anyone doing research.

This site may help too:

http://www.conigliofamily.com/AFL.htm

Dont drink the water
02-06-2006, 10:48 AM
Buffalo was also a flagship franchise of the OLD AFL (American Footbal League) along with Pittsburgh and Cleveland and was the All American Football League Champs once. They narrowly missed the first merger with NFL. Buffalo Bills actually have history as a team unlike some of the teams created in formation of new AFL in 1960's.

A link you may be interested on this:
http://www.cruzan.info/proball.html