PDA

View Full Version : The National Anthem

The_Philster
02-06-2006, 04:49 AM
Forked from: Half time and the Stones!!! (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=1351417)

The National Anthem was nothing to write home about either. AAron Neville was terrible. Aretha picked it up a little but was straining
SNL did a skit the other night on those 2 doing the anthem...I'd've rather seen the skit as the rendition of the national anthem than what we saw...that was putrid :down:

LtFinFan66
02-06-2006, 04:54 AM
No doubt!!

The_Philster
02-06-2006, 04:57 AM
I think they tried too hard to be cute and add their own personalities to the song..and to be honest, the only time I can remember anyone doing that and actually adding to it instead of detracting from it was Whitney's rendition.

LtFinFan66
02-06-2006, 05:09 AM
Yeah, her version was great and actually put out on CD... I don't mind if they want to add a little of their flavor to it, but don't totally change the tune the way they did this time. Horrible!

LtBillsFan66
02-06-2006, 05:40 AM
Like I said. I was appalled at their rendition. Their citizenship should be revoked and they should be deported to Gitmo.

Historian
02-06-2006, 05:42 AM
I was afraid my speakers were going to crack...

LifetimeBillsFan
02-06-2006, 06:30 AM
Just once, once, I would like to hear someone sing it correctly!

The tune had been an English drinking song and it is supposed to be played at a fairly quick tempo. And, it is "ban-ner", two notes, not "ba-an-ner", three notes, or "ba-an-ner-er", four notes, the way most people sing it. Lon ago in a land far away, one of my music teachers, who had been the conductor of the U.S.Naval Academy Band, drummed that into my head because he could not stand to hear it sung or played incorrectly!

ICE74129
02-06-2006, 06:31 AM
The anthem flat sucked.

The King
02-06-2006, 06:40 AM
Peabo Bryson should've done it.

SpanishBill
02-06-2006, 07:07 AM
Was that really your national anthem? I didn't remember it that way... :whistling

I barely could hear the guy neither Aretha singing... besides the sound quality was horrible. Was that supposed to have some New Orleans flavor or some? :question:

Where's Beyoncé when you need her?...

AndreReed83
02-06-2006, 07:22 AM
Just once, once, I would like to hear someone sing it correctly!

The tune had been an English drinking song and it is supposed to be played at a fairly quick tempo. And, it is "ban-ner", two notes, not "ba-an-ner", three notes, or "ba-an-ner-er", four notes, the way most people sing it. Lon ago in a land far away, one of my music teachers, who had been the conductor of the U.S.Naval Academy Band, drummed that into my head because he could not stand to hear it sung or played incorrectly!

Thank you for posting this! The National Anthem is such an easy song to sing, but so many people butcher it.

I was reading that the last two times Aretha Franklin did the National Anthem, she lip sync'd. One of them was for certain. How'd it look yesterday? I missed it.

TigerJ
02-06-2006, 07:59 AM
Actually the National Anthem is not a terribly easy song to sing, but that's no reason to butcher it with all the extra ornamentation. The range required for the national anthem is more than that required for a lot of songs. I sang it a Jamestown Jammers game in 2005. I had a ball doing it. I sang it straight-as written.

AndreReed83
02-06-2006, 08:17 AM
Well, I guess it depends what part you sing. Alto, Tenor, and Bass is pretty easy for me, and I have a very deep singing voice. I meant it's easy in the sense that the notes are straight forward with really no slides or rises and such. Though I do definitely agree about the range part to an extant. I know that the "And the rocket's red glare. The bombs bursting in air." notes for all the verses is very high, for each singing part.

Valerie
02-06-2006, 08:44 AM
I didn't watch any of the Super Bowl except the National Anthem and I thought it sucked rotten eggs!

Dont drink the water
02-06-2006, 10:41 AM
I think they tried too hard to be cute and add their own personalities to the song..and to be honest, the only time I can remember anyone doing that and actually adding to it instead of detracting from it was Whitney's rendition.

Whitney Houson's rendition was absolutely great. A ten! :10:

Cntrygal
02-06-2006, 10:44 AM
It was barely understandable. Pathetic.

Novacane
02-06-2006, 10:55 AM
Arethas put on a little weight :snicker:

BAM
02-06-2006, 11:28 AM
I wish Hendrix coulda been there. :(

Jan Reimers
02-06-2006, 03:03 PM
They almost made Rosanne Barr's version seem listenable.

Gunzlingr
02-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Peabo Bryson should've done it.

Hell, Shawn Bryson would have been an improvement. Even if Peter King said it was the best ever anthem right behind Whitney Houston :ill:

Mad Bomber
02-06-2006, 03:12 PM
It was horrible.

tat2dmike77
02-06-2006, 03:13 PM
Hell, Shawn Bryson would have been an improvement. Even if Peter King said it was the best ever anthem right behind Whitney Houston :ill:

Peter king is a moron

DBrown77
02-06-2006, 03:38 PM
I wonder how many squirrels ms. franklin had to kill to make that coat she was wearing.

tat2dmike77
02-06-2006, 03:54 PM
I wonder how many squirrels ms. franklin had to kill to make that coat she was wearing.

Not sure but i bet squirrel population is next to nothing in detroit now.

The_Philster
02-06-2006, 03:57 PM
thinking back, I liked Jewel's rendition..even though it was obviously lip-synched

Meathead
02-06-2006, 07:35 PM
not surprisingly, i again will stand alone on an issue

i really liked it myself

then again, i love that nawlins style music and have been to jazz fest there three times

dolphinssuck
02-06-2006, 07:42 PM
It was pretty bad and they butchered the anthem.

The_Philster
02-06-2006, 07:43 PM
If it makes you feel any better, Bulldog on WGR liked it too...which means you won't be lonely in your padded room :coocoo:

Mad Bomber
02-06-2006, 08:34 PM
then again, i love that nawlins style music and have been to jazz fest there three times

Me too... I lived in Nawlins for 3 1/2 years and love the music.

I didn't like the anthem though... the word "land" shouldn't have 28 syllables.

DaBills
02-06-2006, 11:19 PM
Good topic Phil. I totally forgot about this. NOTE TO NFL: LEAVE THE DAMN SONG ALONE.

Whitney's IMO is still the best. This years was too forced and too f’ed with. I would’ve preferred a Stephen Hawking version instead.

When I listen, I don’t need a country, rock, rap, blues or jazz version of the song. I want to stand up, take my hat off, STFU as well as those around me, and listen to an unembellished version of the song.

It’s the freakin’ national anthem. Show some respect and leave it the way it is.

;-p

Michael82
02-06-2006, 11:29 PM
Forked from: Half time and the Stones!!! (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=1351417)

SNL did a skit the other night on those 2 doing the anthem...I'd've rather seen the skit as the rendition of the national anthem than what we saw...that was putrid :down:
Agreed. I saw that SNL skit on Saturday night and just kept picturing it when they sung the Anthem at the Super Bowl. The guy who played Aaron Neville was ****ing hilarious! :rofl: