PDA

View Full Version : It's Not Football Anymore, It's Entertainment!

LifetimeBillsFan
02-06-2006, 06:11 AM
Let me begin by saying that I'm an "old fart" who probably shouldn't be believed or trusted because I've been taking up space and polluting air on this planet for close to 55 years and, at this point, I've forgotten more than I can remember.

But, I do remember playing a game called football when I was growing up. It was a great game: played in the fall and early winter on a grassy or muddy field in all kinds of weather conditions from crisp, clear sunny days to freezing cold dark snowy evenings, just the same way as it was played by our heros in college and in the professional leagues played it. It was a rough, sometimes nasty game, but everybody knew what the rules were: what was a touchdown, what was a catch, what was a fumble, what was out-of-bounds, what was in-bounds, what was off-sides, and holding and clipping ("a block in the back" was unheard of in those days!), etc. For all of the bruises and injuries, for all of the hard, sometimes brutal and even illegal hits, it was a beautiful game.

And, I loved it. Because of the competition. And, the comraderie. Because it was about the game, the contest of two teams of individuals sacrificing everything including possibly life and limb to work together to determine which one would come out on top after 60 minutes of going head-to-head and toe-to-toe.

It was a beautiful game. To play and to watch. Because of the passion. It wasn't about the bucks, even on the professional level (professional football players had to work in the off-season to support their families, so if you really wanted to make money, you got a real, full-time job). It was about the love of the game....

After more than 45 years of following, playing, watching and loving the game, I did something I had never done before: I turned off my television set on Sunday night with a little more than 5 minutes remaining in the biggest professional football game of the season, disgusted. Why? Because that wasn't the game I had grown up loving. That wasn't the game at all. It was "an event". It was entertainment for the masses cloaked in the guise of a football game. But, it wasn't the kind of football game I had learned to love so much.

The game was being played in Detroit on February 5th. Pitchers and catchers report to spring training in just two weeks. The basketball and hockey seasons are already half over. And, although it had snowed all day and the night before in Detroit, there wasn't a speck of snow or ice or mud or, God forbid, grass on the field and it was a balmy 72 degrees in the stadium throughout the game. The legions of celebrity guests and corporate sponsors of the NFL, along with the legitimate fans of both teams, who had shelled out thousands of dollars to attend the game, did not have to worry about getting frost-bitten on this cold winter's night because the NFL's TV partners had paid to telecast the game in prime time.

Now, don't get me wrong--I love Aretha Franklin, Aaron Neville and the Rolling Stones. Despite my failing memory I can still remember the lyrics of many of their songs. But, was this supposed to be a football game or an "oldies" rock concert sanitized so as not to offend the most prudish of the prude who don't mind their children watching violence, but believe that the bodies God created are too dirty to be seen? Or, wasn't the game--a clash between two of the best teams in the one and only professional outdoor (?) football league--enough to capture and hold the attention of this crowd of "fans"? Apparently not! Or, at least not enough of them and the world-wide television audience to make the corporate sponsors and advertisers of the league and its TV networks feel that they were getting their money's worth....

For seven and a half hours straight before the game and countless hours in the two weeks leading up to the game, every aspect of both teams, their games and their players and coaches had been analyzed, dissected, rehashed and regurgitated in the American sports media. The nation had been told who not only the good players were, but who the good guys and what the "feel-good stories" were supposed to be. While Seattle had, arguably to be sure, the best individual player--the league's MVP after all--on both teams, in Shaun Alexander, we were regaled with hours of stories about America's New Golden Boy, Ben Roethlisberger, and, lest anyone feel any bias in that, the heart-warming tale of Jerome Bettis returning to his childhood home in his quest to win a championship in his last game before retiring. How sweet. How entertaining.... How could you not recognize what the people handing out all of this drivel wanted the outcome of the game to be?

Ah, but there's the game. It's such a great game and, once the game starts, anything can happen. After all, hasn't the NFL made it a point to make certain that "on any given Sunday...."?

Finally, the kickoff. On plastic grass. Inside of a domed, climate-controlled stadium fitted with dozens of cameras trained on the field (and the audience, don't forget the audience--how can there be a game without the camera showing the audience....oh, yeah, and the scantily clad cheerleaders, no "wardrobe malfunction" there, huh?).

Ooops. What's wrong? Seattle has come out to play. "Golden Boy" Ben can't hit the side of a barn and hometown hero Jerome is getting stuffed at the line of scrimmage. Oh, no. Seattle is moving the ball with ease on the Big Bad Steelers' defense. They're going to score a touchdown. That's not in the script! Drop a flag, negate that touchdown play. Make 'em kick a field goal. Three-nothing isn't too bad a deficit. "Golden Boy" Ben will get it together soon enough to be able to overcome that. Cut to commercial--Ah, there's our boy, Ben, wrapping his fingers around the Lombardi Trophy. Get used to it America, we need a fresh face for our ad campaigns--that Brady kid's starting to go stale on us. Uh-oh, Seattle's stopped our boys again. It's a big punt return--quick, drop a penalty flag! We can't have them starting at mid-field the way they've been moving the ball! "Bad-Ass" Bill Cowher's defense isn't getting any pressure on that kid Hasselbeck, quick throw another penalty flag. I can't believe that guy got the first down, move the ball back a yard while nobody's looking--maybe the cameras will miss it...Come, Big Ben, you can do it! And, if you can't just don't let the camera see where the ball is. Atta boy! Now we can go to the big "Halftime Extravaganza". By the time it is over nobody will remember who did what in the first half anyway....

At halftime there isn't even a debate amongst the former players who are being paid to analyze the game: the key play of the first half is the Seattle TD that was negated by the penalty call on Jackson. The call stunk. So did the holding call on the punt return. And the placement of the ball on the 3rd down pass to Strong. Even the paid shills for the league aren't willing to lie enough to say that the refs are impacting the game. More pictures of "Big Ben" and hometown hero Jerome. Those are your heroes, America, don't you get it!!!

And, don't forget to pay attention to our cute, new commercials! You won't want to miss a one, they'll be the talk of the water-fountain crew at work tomorrow and discussed on all of the entertainment shows this week. They're so entertaining! You want to be entertained, now, don't you? You don't want to be left out. (Forget the fact that we want you to watch them because our market research tells us that it will want you to go out and buy our product--uh, you can afford our product, can't you, if not, we can arrange financing from our corporate partners at at a rate you can just barely afford!)

No, I don't get it. I don't want to get it. And, I don't give a damn about your commercials or your halftime show or your BS! I want to see these two teams play the game that I love. I want to see them go head-to-head, toe-to-toe like the Giants and Colts in 1958; like the Bills and Chargers in 1964 and 1965. I don't want an explanation of whether it's "a catch and a fumble" or "incomplete". I don't want to hear John Madden and Al Michaels try to explain away a phantom pass interference penalty when I see 5 other plays where the same kind of contact is allowed as "incidental contact". It's either a foul or it's not! With three dozen cameras trained on the field, don't tell me that you can't show me whether the guy held or not and then dance around the fact that the ref called a phantom, momentum-changing penalty.

Oh, wow, Pittsburgh has made a couple of plays. And the refs have called another phantom penalty (if this was holding, why wasn't that play holding as well?) to keep Seattle from taking the lead (God forbid!) until they finally make a big mistake. Ah, now we have the story-line we want: Big Ben overcomes a bad start to lead his team to victory--Middle America will love that; Bettis goes out on top in a story-book ending--a triumphant lesson for urban black folks; Polamanu leads the new Steel Curtain--the Asians and Polynesians and older fans will love that one; and we get a two-fer in Randle-El and Ward--see you don't have to play QB to be a star, son, you can still do it if you switch positions....

Michaels and Madden are in full shill mode now. By the time this game is over they'll have everyone thinking that the Steelers won 70-0 and are the greatest team since, well, pick a year. No sense talking about those bad calls by the refs now. Can't gloss over them, but it was a great game and the penalties didn't really influence the outcome anyhow. Just make sure that the rest of the analysts back in the studio stick to the same line of BS.

Yeah, but, you know, I played this game. I played football when it was football. And, I know that those calls in the first half changed the way the two teams played afterwards. I know that it is a different game if it is 10-0 or 13-0 Seattle. I also know that it's a different game at 17-14 Seattle, too. I know that just as much as I know that it would be a different game if it were being played outside, in the snow or in the rain, or if it had been played in December and not now in February.

And, now I have a choice: am I going to listen to a bunch of guys that I used to admire try to convince me to believe what they are telling me--what the NFL and their corporate sponsors want me to believe--or am I going to believe my "lying eyes" that are telling me that I'm being "had"?

Well, I made my choice and, with a little over 5 minutes left in the game, knowing that the outcome had already been determined and would not be allowed to change, I reached over and turned off my television set. As the image on the screen flickered to darkness, I realized that what I had been watching wasn't football--it wasn't the game I had played and learned to love--it was corporate-sponsored entertainment designed to sedate my frustrations by giving them a vicarious, carefully controlled, violent outlet while convincing me to be separated from my money.

By being so blatant in their mishandling of this game, the referees exposed what the NFL, the players and their corporate sponsors have done to the game that I love: it's not about the game any more, it's just entertainment. And, we suckers who keep thinking that it's a game and that it's about the game--because we love the game--are just that, suckers. Now, that's not going to make me stop loving the game. Or, loving the Buffalo Bills and hoping that someday they will be allowed to win a Super Bowl. But it is certainly going to make me view things with a far more jaundiced eye and a far tighter fist around my wallet.

AndreReed83
02-06-2006, 06:42 AM
Wow, absolutely great post. I've been saying this entire season that it needs to change from the NFL to the NFE. National Football Entertainment, headquaters in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The King
02-06-2006, 06:45 AM
:clap:

Tatonka
02-06-2006, 06:58 AM
i wish someone told me that vegas wanted pitt to win.. i wouldnt have put my money on seattle.

Historian
02-06-2006, 06:59 AM
That may have been the best post I have ever read on the Zone LTBF.

Seriously.

I may print that up and take it to work.

Well done!

elkhunter
02-06-2006, 07:09 AM
Great post LBF! I'm sure you will ruffle a few feathers, but oh well.

Al

Historian
02-06-2006, 07:21 AM
Picture last year's owners meetings:

TAGLIABUE: Well, according to the focus groups that Pepsi, Coke, and Budweiser did, people are getting a little tired of the Patriots winning it every year. There was a great amount of sympathy towards the people of Boston after the terrorist attacks, since several of their citizens died on those planes, but I think the sympathy card has played itself out. Even Osama Bin Laden is tired of Brady's Visa commercials. So gentlemen, I put it to you...who should be our new champion this year?

RALPH: How about my Bills?

TAGLIABUE: Oh Puh-lease! Even the people that live in Buffalo don't wanna be there Ralph. The advertisers would never go for it. Besides...nobody here even likes you.

RALPH: But.....

TAGLIABUE: Forget it! Come on...who else?

BOWLAN: How about my Broncos?

TAGLIABUE: Yea, they're pretty popular, but people still associate them with John, and he's an owner in the AFL now...so I don't think it's a good idea.

BIDWELL: How about my cardinals?

TAGLIABUE: You still have a team? Come on...some serious suggestions!

HUIZENGA: How about my fish? We haven't won one since 1973.

TAGLIABUE: Those thugs? We would have to hold the Super Bowl at Raford Prison!

IRSAY: I have the leagues marquee player in Peyton, how about us?

TAGLIABUE: Why? So you can showcase your next franchise move? No thanks!

ROONEY: What about Pittsburgh? We're a stable franchise.

TAGLIABUE: Hmmm...interesting. What's your angle? I need to be able to sell it to the advertisers. They're the ones who pay for this **** you know.

ROONEY: Well...the game is in Detroit. Bettis is from there, and this is rumored to be his last year.

TAGLIABUE: Good...what else?

ROONEY: Umm...Big Ben is as hot as ever right now. He sells more jerseys than Farve and Elway ever did in their prime.

TAGLIABUE: Okay....I like it. They're a good team thast just falls short each year. If they can get a little help from our refs, they could just win the damn thing. ALL IN FAVOR???

The ayes have it!

AndreReed83
02-06-2006, 07:34 AM
:rofl:

I think the Huizenga convo this year went something like this:

HUIZENGA: How about my fish? We haven't won one since 1973.

TAGLIABUE: Too many old people, they're in bed by the time the Super Bowl starts.

HUIZENGA: Well, we could be the first ever team to play in their own stadium in the big game.

TAGLIABUE: Going once...

HUIZENGA: And we are going to make a strong push for Terrell Owens. He's media gold. Don't forget Ricky Williams!

TAGLIABUE: Going twice...

HUIZENGA: And Belichick's heir apparent, Nick Saban, takes over his top spot in the AFC EAST and the entire NFL.

TAGLIABUE: SOLD!

doug45
02-06-2006, 07:40 AM
Great Post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bow:

Night Train
02-06-2006, 08:04 AM
LBF, that's the best post I've ever read here.

Little wonder I'm gravitating more towards college football. Only the most blatant infractions are called by the officials, who prefer to remain invisible and allow the game to flow. The NFL officials would throw 3-4 flags on every play, if allowed to do a college game.

Here's an blurb form an ESPN story on Dec.4th:

Seattle Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren violated league policy by publicly divulging information that the NFL apologized for blowing a couple touchdown calls last week against the New York Giants. Now, he's paying for it.

Sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that Holmgren has been blackballed by the league's officiating office. Holmgren received a letter Friday informing him that the Seahawks face a two-week ban from having their games reviewed by the league's officiating department.

Hmmm...

<!--QuoteEnd-->

AndreReed83
02-06-2006, 08:09 AM
LBF, that's the best post I've ever read here.

Little wonder I'm gravitating more towards college football. Only the most blatant infractions are called by the officials, who prefer to remain invisible and allow the game to flow. The NFL officials would throw 3-4 flags on every play, if allowed to do a college game.

Here's an blurb form an ESPN story on Dec.4th:

Seattle Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren violated league policy by publicly divulging information that the NFL apologized for blowing a couple touchdown calls last week against the New York Giants. Now, he's paying for it.

Sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that Holmgren has been blackballed by the league's officiating office. Holmgren received a letter Friday informing him that the Seahawks face a two-week ban from having their games reviewed by the league's officiating department.

Hmmm...

<!--QuoteEnd-->

OH MY GOD!! That is the most immature thing I have ever heard. NEVER should a team face a ban from getting the officiating crew being reviewed. That leaves the door WIDE open for cheating, Vegas betting getting involved, or a screw job in a big game... Hmmm, indeed.

Meister
02-06-2006, 08:11 AM
Oh woe is me. My team is so miserable that after I spend 20 hours during the week buying into all the hype and making the NFL all its advertising revenue by gluing yourself to the TV I still spend another hour writing about how it was all a waste of time, fixed, the result predetermined. If its so bad dont watch it. I'm sure there is a nice local high school you can go to and watch "real" football not innodated with advertisement and entertainment. But to spend all your time watching and then come back to ***** and moan about it the ultimate hypocracy.

Historian
02-06-2006, 08:13 AM
You know, I hate to say it...but the best football I've seen in the past 20 years or so, was when the replacement referees were doing the games.

Gunzlingr
02-06-2006, 08:25 AM
You know, I hate to say it...but the best football I've seen in the past 20 years or so, was when the replacement referees were doing the games.

I agree. I told one of my buddies that they should keep those replacement refs because they were a hell of a lot more "hands off" than the regular refs.

elkhunter
02-06-2006, 08:28 AM
LBF-:bf1:, Meister :ignore:

AndreReed83
02-06-2006, 08:28 AM
Oh woe is me. My team is so miserable that after I spend 20 hours during the week buying into all the hype and making the NFL all its advertising revenue by gluing yourself to the TV I still spend another hour writing about how it was all a waste of time, fixed, the result predetermined. If its so bad dont watch it. I'm sure there is a nice local high school you can go to and watch "real" football not innodated with advertisement and entertainment. But to spend all your time watching and then come back to ***** and moan about it the ultimate hypocracy.

Wouldn't hypocrisy be if he was *****ing and moaning about the games and the other stuff involved and declared he was going to stop going to games, yet still went to them? Seeing as he came up with his conclusion after the most recent NFL game out there, and stated he was going to stop spending more money on the NFL, I think you misread his post quite a bit.

mysticsoto
02-06-2006, 08:30 AM
Moderators...any chance we can take LTBF's post and place it as a main "piece" in the homepage??? This needs to be read by everyone.

I felt exactly the same and did the same thing LTBF did, except with 4 minutes left. I was at a friend's house and told him, "This is bull*****...this game was determined long before." Seattle has no market appeal like Pittsburgh does and the refs have made sure to slant everything toward Pittsburgh with phantom penalties, ticky tack penalty calling on Seattles' touchdown, and giving Big Ben a very undeserved touchdown! Seattle can't win against a good team that also has the refs in their pocket...

It was a travesty, and I sincerly hope it doesn't have a long term effect of turning me off to football. Right now, I am glad the season is over b'cse I really don't want to watch any for awhile.

The sad thing is...Buffalo is not a very marketable team around the nation...how likely is it then, that Buffalo will ever win the superbowl. :ill:

ICE74129
02-06-2006, 09:00 AM
Buffalo will NEVER be marketable enough. I guess we just need to deal with that fact

Kerr
02-06-2006, 09:24 AM
The super bowl has become a joke.

Meister
02-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Wouldn't hypocrisy be if he was *****ing and moaning about the games and the other stuff involved and declared he was going to stop going to games, yet still went to them? Seeing as he came up with his conclusion after the most recent NFL game out there, and stated he was going to stop spending more money on the NFL, I think you misread his post quite a bit.

No....this determination was made prior to the game being played, and obviously has more to do with the status of the team hes a fan of than the game itself. The real amusing thing is the similar thoughts were going through Steeler's fans heads prior to the matchup with the Colts.....if they had lost that game all these conspiracy theororists would of made their way out of the woodwork.

I've seen enough of football fans to know that every year something is "fixed" against their team or one they symphathise with, to ensure that the darlings of the NFL won the superbowl. My responce is always the same...if you really believe its fixed, go spend your 10 hrs a week doing something useful and quit *****in about it. There are 50 million who find it entertaining, and obviously they are the target audience, not you.

slakjaw157
02-06-2006, 09:53 AM
:bf1: great post LBF

Cntrygal
02-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Great post LBF!

I think a great halftime show would have been two reels highlighting how the two teams made it to the Superbowl. Equal time for both teams.

LifetimeBillsFan
02-06-2006, 10:50 AM
No....this determination was made prior to the game being played, and obviously has more to do with the status of the team hes a fan of than the game itself. The real amusing thing is the similar thoughts were going through Steeler's fans heads prior to the matchup with the Colts.....if they had lost that game all these conspiracy theororists would of made their way out of the woodwork.

I've seen enough of football fans to know that every year something is "fixed" against their team or one they symphathise with, to ensure that the darlings of the NFL won the superbowl. My responce is always the same...if you really believe its fixed, go spend your 10 hrs a week doing something useful and quit *****in about it. There are 50 million who find it entertaining, and obviously they are the target audience, not you.

Meister, FYI: I'm a Bills fan, not a fan of either the Steelers or the Seahawks.

I grew up playing the game in the First Ward of Buffalo, the first game I remember watching was the Giants-Colts NFL Championship Game that came to be called "The Greatest Game Ever"--I remember it because my father set up our new TV to watch that game and nearly went through the ceiling when the reception went out in the middle of the game and he thought there was something wrong with the new TV, never thinking that there was a problem with the signal at its source! I played football in high school and college and briefly worked for the Bills in a rather menial capacity the season before OJ went for 2,004 yards. I moved to the NYC area after college and put up with a lot being a Bills fan when the Bills were a putrid team and the only way I could follow them was by watching for score updates during Giants and Jet games while going to grad school and beginning a private practice in my field of professional expertise. I was permanently disabled by a debilitating, life-threatening chronic medical condition in 1987 that has left me plenty of time, when my condition allows me to function enough to turn on a television and watch what is on it, to watch the game that I used to love to play and watch so much. Thanks to improvements in medication and treatment for my condition and several years of painful and difficult rehab, I reached the point where I not only was able to learn how to use a computer, but to be an active contributor to this messageboard, all the while continuing to watch and analyze the game.

Now, I don't know where you are coming from, but I love the game of football and I've seen it change a lot from the days when I played it. And, when I write about that talk about things that I think are wrong with the game or that I don't like, etc., I'm not *****in for the sake of *****in--if I was going to do that, I would ***** about my medical condition and the impact it has had on my life, not about football! What disturbs me, in this instance and more than a few other--and what prompted me to write what I wrote in starting this thread--is the lack of fairness and/or competence that I see in how a lot of games, not just this one, are being adjudicated these days and how we, the fans, are being expected to accept that and consider it normal and acceptable at ever higher prices. I also object to what I see as the manipulation of the the audience and the game for commercial ends (we ARE the Roman Empire and these are our bread and circuses)--because it is destroying the game and love of the game for the game's sake.

I was, by the way, just as outraged by the outlandishly unfair refereeing of the Steelers' game at Indy a couple of weeks ago. While I was not able to write about it at the time, I felt just as strongly that the Steelers were being screwed in that game as I feel that Seattle got screwed in this one. And, to me, two wrongs never make a "right". In both instances, the refs and the NFL were wrong. The Steelers were fortunate and good enough on that day to escape the fate of the Seahawks in the Super Bowl.

I chose to make the statement that I did because far too often I have seen these kinds of unfair advantages being given to a team--any team--glossed over and blown off by the media and by fans. It's not fair and it's not right and I'm tired of being told that it's raining when it is becoming increasingly obvious that the warm trickle down my leg is coming from an entirely different source. Now, I'm going to speak up about that and I'm going to encourage anyone who loves the game to speak up about it. If you don't care to, if you don't mind the trickle or the smell, if you're satisfied with what you are being given, or if you have better things to do with your time than to speak to the issue, that's fine--that's your business.

But, don't criticize me or call me a hypocrite if I chose to express my views--that is my right as an American and as a member, in reasonably good standing, of this forum and you don't know me well enough to be in a position to judge whether I am a hypocrite or not or to assume that you what kind of fan or person I am (you know what they say about when you assume...!). If, as a fan of the game of football, I choose to spend time or money on the NFL, as a customer, I have a right to not only expect to receive what I pay for, but to complain when I am given less than what I am paying for and you hardly have a right to object if I do. Disagree, fine; object or call me a hypocrite, no.

chernobylwraiths
02-06-2006, 11:19 AM
LBF, great read as usual. The only thing I would add would be a last line of:

I need a drink, if I could only find that "magic fridge". :D

Mitchy moo
02-06-2006, 11:36 AM
Meister, FYI: I'm a Bills fan, not a fan of either the Steelers or the Seahawks.

I grew up playing the game in the First Ward of Buffalo, the first game I remember watching was the Giants-Colts NFL Championship Game that came to be called "The Greatest Game Ever"--I remember it because my father set up our new TV to watch that game and nearly went through the ceiling when the reception went out in the middle of the game and he thought there was something wrong with the new TV, never thinking that there was a problem with the signal at its source! I played football in high school and college and briefly worked for the Bills in a rather menial capacity the season before OJ went for 2,004 yards. I moved to the NYC area after college and put up with a lot being a Bills fan when the Bills were a putrid team and the only way I could follow them was by watching for score updates during Giants and Jet games while going to grad school and beginning a private practice in my field of professional expertise. I was permanently disabled by a debilitating, life-threatening chronic medical condition in 1987 that has left me plenty of time, when my condition allows me to function enough to turn on a television and watch what is on it, to watch the game that I used to love to play and watch so much. Thanks to improvements in medication and treatment for my condition and several years of painful and difficult rehab, I reached the point where I not only was able to learn how to use a computer, but to be an active contributor to this messageboard, all the while continuing to watch and analyze the game.

Now, I don't know where you are coming from, but I love the game of football and I've seen it change a lot from the days when I played it. And, when I write about that talk about things that I think are wrong with the game or that I don't like, etc., I'm not *****in for the sake of *****in--if I was going to do that, I would ***** about my medical condition and the impact it has had on my life, not about football! What disturbs me, in this instance and more than a few other--and what prompted me to write what I wrote in starting this thread--is the lack of fairness and/or competence that I see in how a lot of games, not just this one, are being adjudicated these days and how we, the fans, are being expected to accept that and consider it normal and acceptable at ever higher prices. I also object to what I see as the manipulation of the the audience and the game for commercial ends (we ARE the Roman Empire and these are our bread and circuses)--because it is destroying the game and love of the game for the game's sake.

I was, by the way, just as outraged by the outlandishly unfair refereeing of the Steelers' game at Indy a couple of weeks ago. While I was not able to write about it at the time, I felt just as strongly that the Steelers were being screwed in that game as I feel that Seattle got screwed in this one. And, to me, two wrongs never make a "right". In both instances, the refs and the NFL were wrong. The Steelers were fortunate and good enough on that day to escape the fate of the Seahawks in the Super Bowl.

I chose to make the statement that I did because far too often I have seen these kinds of unfair advantages being given to a team--any team--glossed over and blown off by the media and by fans. It's not fair and it's not right and I'm tired of being told that it's raining when it is becoming increasingly obvious that the warm trickle down my leg is coming from an entirely different source. Now, I'm going to speak up about that and I'm going to encourage anyone who loves the game to speak up about it. If you don't care to, if you don't mind the trickle or the smell, if you're satisfied with what you are being given, or if you have better things to do with your time than to speak to the issue, that's fine--that's your business.

But, don't criticize me or call me a hypocrite if I chose to express my views--that is my right as an American and as a member, in reasonably good standing, of this forum and you don't know me well enough to be in a position to judge whether I am a hypocrite or not or to assume that you what kind of fan or person I am (you know what they say about when you assume...!). If, as a fan of the game of football, I choose to spend time or money on the NFL, as a customer, I have a right to not only expect to receive what I pay for, but to complain when I am given less than what I am paying for and you hardly have a right to object if I do. Disagree, fine; object or call me a hypocrite, no.

Your statement was well written and crystal clear. The truth be told the refs didn't like Mike H. & really helped influence the outcome.

BigZ
02-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Great post LBF.

I'm an old fart too and know exactly how you feel.

I left the SB party I was at with about 5 minutes left too.

dplus47
02-06-2006, 12:43 PM
i hosted the super bowl party, so i couldn't leave. there weren't diehards of either team in attendance, and everybody felt ripped off by what transpired. i have never seen anything like it.

great post, btw. it seems more clear with each passing day that the american capacity for denial is being tested. unfortunately, that capacity seems infinite. i'm praying that it's not, or it's more than just football we'll be remembering fondly.

Mad Bomber
02-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Outstanding post, LBF. :bf1:

One of the best I've ever seen.

tat2dmike77
02-06-2006, 03:24 PM
Last nights game was horrible. I have never seen such poor officating since well since i played flag football for my unit in the Army. Why didn't the ref just wear black and gold stripped shirts instead of the usual ones. Just to make it offical ya know.

To bad for Mike H and the seattle players and fans. They truly got screwed in this one.

AndreReed83
02-06-2006, 03:44 PM
Not surprising that nearly all the talk oh ESPNnews has been the entertainment and marketing ramifications of the Steelers win for both the Steelers players and the NFL and the companies involved.

tat2dmike77
02-06-2006, 03:51 PM
Get ready to get sick of Ben Rothlisberger the new golden boy

I heard talk already of him being the next Montana or Brady? I was like Montana yeah right. He isn't even able to carry his jock strap.

Then while watching the game my G/F said i want the steelers to win and i said why. She said cause thier QB is from Ohio and he went to Miami of Ohio. I said so what it's not like you went miami you went to Ohio University. She was like well it's from the same conference. I was just like big deal he's from ohio i still can't stand the steelers.

But then she said this and i'm going to hold her to it

"When the bills goto the super bowl i'm gonna get you a ticket for the game."

Can't beat that so i didn't stay mad at her for wanting the steelers to win.

ricogarion
02-06-2006, 03:52 PM
:( Yes the game is second to all the hype and pageantry and that is what makes the "Corporate Bowl" usually a huge letdown.

tat2dmike77
02-06-2006, 04:03 PM
Good article here

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5310192

dplus47
02-06-2006, 04:59 PM
Get ready to get sick of Ben Rothlisberger the new golden boy

I heard talk already of him being the next Montana or Brady? I was like Montana yeah right. He isn't even able to carry his jock strap.

his QB rating would have been 17 points HIGHER if he had thrown every pass he attempted directly into the ground.

Ingtar33
02-06-2006, 10:39 PM
great post.

the games aren't fixed (atleast i've never seen anything to indicate they are), but last night, for the first time in my life, i actually found myself considering it.

LtFinFan66
02-07-2006, 06:45 AM
Awesome job LifetimeBillsFan!!

mysticsoto
02-07-2006, 08:22 AM
Has anyone heard yet if Mike Holgrem is going to be fined? I heard he made comments of the officiating - something to the effect of, "I didn't know we were going to have to play the officials also!" In this case, I don't think he should be fined for telling the truth...

tat2dmike77
02-07-2006, 08:33 AM
Has anyone heard yet if Mike Holgrem is going to be fined? I heard he made comments of the officiating - something to the effect of, "I didn't know we were going to have to play the officials also!" In this case, I don't think he should be fined for telling the truth...

I'm sure the NFL will fine him.

It's BS that they will fine him but they will always do that to people who critisize officals.