PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Mock draft from nfldraftcountdown.com

mysticsoto
02-06-2006, 01:01 PM
nfldraftcountdown.com just added round 2 mock drafts. They have us taking:

1. Haloti Ngata (DT)
2. Nick Mangold (C)

What does everyone think of that? I found it interesting that they now have the 49ers taking Huff right before us in the 1st rd. In that case, barring a trade down, we'd have to take Ngata - as nobody else is worth that high a pick. I certainly hope there are a few surprises in there. For one, I'd love the Jets to take a QB, worried that Pennington can't stay healthy a whole season. And yet, SI is predicting that the Jets might grab Kerry Collins if he is released (doh!).

I still would like Davin Joseph with the 2nd rd pick...

Night Train
02-06-2006, 01:12 PM
Depends what we do in the 7 weeks of Free Agency, prior to the draft.

Ngata and Mangold would be a darn good start. OG Spencer of Pitt or OG Lutui of USC would also be solid 2nd round picks. All are instant starters at positions of need.

Devin
02-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Yeah its hard for me to be dissapointed with those two. Mangold is a beast at C.

justasportsfan
02-06-2006, 01:21 PM
Mouse is highly regarded by Marv. I'm almost sure that the decision to keep him was Marv's and not Dick's. With that being said, if mouse thinks Preston is ready to start at center, I doubt we will draft a center.

Jan Reimers
02-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Mouse is highly regarded by Marv. I'm almost sure that the decision to keep him was Marv's and not Dick's. With that being said, if mouse thinks Preston is ready to start at center, I doubt we will draft a center.
I can also see Preston starting at guard, depending on the draft and free agency.

justasportsfan
02-06-2006, 01:49 PM
I can also see Preston starting at guard, depending on the draft and free agency.which is why it's really hard to figure out who we're gonna take. First we need to restructure/cut some players to see who we can afford at FA. Only then can we start analyzing who the bills will go for at the draft.

feelthepain
02-06-2006, 02:22 PM

1. Haloti Ngata (DT)
2. Nick Mangold (C)

What does everyone think of that? I found it interesting that they now have the 49ers taking Huff right before us in the 1st rd. In that case, barring a trade down, we'd have to take Ngata - as nobody else is worth that high a pick. I certainly hope there are a few surprises in there. For one, I'd love the Jets to take a QB, worried that Pennington can't stay healthy a whole season. And yet, SI is predicting that the Jets might grab Kerry Collins if he is released (doh!).

Two big needs for your team, seems smart to me.

Devin
02-06-2006, 02:28 PM
Yeah I wouldnt be dissapointed with that.

Ngata is a 50-50 pick at #8 most either love it or hate it but in reality its probably the most likely shot right now.

gonzo1105
02-06-2006, 02:32 PM
I want Michael Huff I think this is the way the draft is gonna play out

1. Houston- Reggie Bush
2. NO- Leinart
3. Tenn-Young
4. NYJ- D'Brick
5. GB- Mario
6. SF- Hawk
7. Oak-Ngata
8. Buf- Huff

Devin
02-06-2006, 02:35 PM
I dont think it will go like that to bbe honest. But if it does, Huff or a trade down wouldnt be to dissapointing.

tat2dmike77
02-06-2006, 03:30 PM
Mangold IMO would be a improvement over Preston.

hydro014
02-06-2006, 04:05 PM

1. Haloti Ngata (DT)
2. Nick Mangold (C)

I dont like Ngata at the 8th pick, i think he'll be a good player but most DT take some time to develop. If we use the 8th pick i think you need a player that will have a impact right away. Also our DL and OL are the biggest need but really we need help all over, so if we pick at 8, IMO we go BPA(D'Brick, Williams, Hawk, J. Williams, Huff, Greenway, V.Davis). Their are a few DT's in FA which we would know can play, so i say pick a DT later in the draft and pick up a FA.

ICE74129
02-06-2006, 04:08 PM

I think DJ is smart enough to love the fact JMac is on his staff. I feel that moron TD and his inbred sidekick MM restricted JMac. Let Mac do what Mac Does and I bet we are much better this next year.

That said, Mac needs to be at the combine and doing evals with the FA guys and let HIM have say on who is added.

TigerJ
02-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Buffalo could still use an upgrade at LT, so free agency will have a lot to say about just how good this is for the first two rounds. If the Bills are still as high on Duke Preston as they seemed to be in training camp last summer, I don't see it happening this way though.

justasportsfan
02-06-2006, 05:24 PM
I think DJ is smart enough to love the fact JMac is on his staff. I feel that moron TD and his inbred sidekick MM restricted JMac. Let Mac do what Mac Does and I bet we are much better this next year.

That said, Mac needs to be at the combine and doing evals with the FA guys and let HIM have say on who is added. I think TD just took rejects and then told Mouse to make them probowlers.

patmoran2006
02-06-2006, 06:03 PM
Take this to the bank..

If the Raiders are on the clock at seven and he's still out there.. Michael Huff's name will be called. IMMEDIATELY

vicmantak
02-06-2006, 10:18 PM
nfldraftcountdown.com is simply my favorite web site but predictions would radically change if someone like LeCharles Bentley becomes a Buffalo Bill.

I don't agree in his second round choice because he didn't considered that Bills have a good development on Duke Preston and it doesn't make sense that Bills will run this offense with two unexperienced "line callers"...

mysticsoto
02-07-2006, 09:16 AM
nfldraftcountdown.com is simply my favorite web site but predictions would radically change if someone like LeCharles Bentley becomes a Buffalo Bill.

I don't agree in his second round choice because he didn't considered that Bills have a good development on Duke Preston and it doesn't make sense that Bills will run this offense with two unexperienced "line callers"...

Why would predictions change radically? If we did get Bentley, how does that affect nfldraftcountdown (ndc) to pick Ngata? You mean for 2nd round I take it? Or do you mean that you would then prefer to pick up a DT in the 2nd rd and pick someone else with your 1st? If so, who?

tampabay25690
02-07-2006, 09:23 AM
Why would predictions change radically? If we did get Bentley, how does that affect nfldraftcountdown (ndc) to pick Ngata? You mean for 2nd round I take it? Or do you mean that you would then prefer to pick up a DT in the 2nd rd and pick someone else with your 1st? If so, who?

I think it really depends I have seen drafts that has Brick coming to Buffalo also......That would be the best case senario....then we get a DT like Gabe Watson from Michigan in the 2nd round...;..I think this draft will all depend on what we do in free agency, there is alot of ?? marks the Bills have.....Mike Williams, Nate CLements, Eric Moulds.........CLements is gone why not take Jimmy Williams from V-Tech.......I think no matter what the Bills will also have to look at a WR via free agency becasue we all know Moulds will probably not be back next year...

BigZ
02-07-2006, 11:44 AM
I feel that moron TD and his inbred sidekick MM .....

Thanks Ice! You almost made me spit out my lunch with that line.

LOL

SABURZFAN
02-08-2006, 01:07 AM

1. Haloti Ngata (DT)
2. Nick Mangold (C)

What does everyone think of that?

i can live with those picks. :up:

mysticsoto
02-08-2006, 10:22 AM
The more I think about it, the more I wonder if Ngata is really a good choice for us. I'm kind of thinking that if we go cover 2, safety might be more important and obtaining Michael Huff (assuming Brick and Mario Williams are also gone by the 8th pick which is almost certainly so). Still, it's interesting to read what some people have to see about Ngata. Some people view him highly, and others think he's a possible bust type of player. Overall, things look pretty good about him though so maybe he wouldn't be a bad pick after all...

My ideal situation if we draft him would be to get Ted Washington and have him and Sam Adams alternate with each other (since they are both older and will tire quickly). That would be a formidable D-line!!!

Here are some reviews of Haloti Ngata:

ourlads.com - Boom or bust player. Did not play up to measurables, but will be drafted high because every coach thinks they can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

nfldraftcountdown.com - Pos: Has outstanding size and a huge frame...Is an amazing athlete...Moves well and has excellent speed and quickness...Extremely strong and gets a great push...Can control the line of scrimmage...Can stuff the run and take on multiple blockers...Is not merely a space eater and can penetrate and rush the passer if given the opportunity...Plays with great leverage...Has the potential to be a dominant 3-4 nose tackle...Also a great kick blocker on special teams...Still has a ton of upside. Neg: Has an inconsistent motor and disappears for stretches...Needs to work on his technique and master the nuances of the position...Tore the ACL in his left knee and missed basically the entire 2003 season...Is not yet a finished product.

football.about.com - Pos: Haloti Ngata is a veritable mountain of a man in the middle of the defensive line, and has the strength to throw around guards when he's getting into the backfield. He also has great burst and agility to get through the line when brute force isn't enough. Ngata's coaches also call him among the most intelligent athletes they've ever seen, and he uses that intelligence to his full advantage, showing an ability to read play-action passes or where runs are going better than nearly anyone at his level of development, and better than many NFL linemen. Ngata also will refuse to give up on plays and doesn't take any off. He also has a rare ability among defensive linemen that he doesn't lose much from his play if he's on the field and hurting. Neg: The only real negative about Ngata is that he tore an ACL in his sophomore year, which is always a concern for someone his age. However, he came back claiming that his damaged knee was stronger post-rehab than his healthy knee was, and no proof to the contrary has come out through his play.

footballsfuture.com - Haloti Ngata has always been one of the most imposing figures you’ll see on a football field. He was widely regarded as one of the top five players in the entire country coming out of high school. He gave glimpses of his talent as a freshman, but missed the entire following year due to a knee injury. Ngata didn’t regain his previous form until halfway through last year at Oregon.
You cannot dream up a more physically gifted defensive tackle. Ngata is absolutely massive and is immovable from the interior line. He combines his bulk with amazing physical strength. Along with his great size and strength, he has impressive athleticism and agility. Moving up the field, he shows the ability to change direction well and has the closing speed to finish off plays. Oregon even drops him into coverage from his tackle spot. That is unheard of for a 340lber. He must be accounted for at all times. Teams routinely double and triple team him to neutralize his impact.
Ngata has gotten a ton of hype because of his physical gifts, but he still needs some more consistency on the field. At times, he thinks his raw strength is enough to dominate, and that will not work at the next level. He injured his knee in 2003, and even though he appears to be back at full strength, it will be something that is looked into. On his talent alone, Ngata is going to be a high draft pick. Teams will drool over his physical ability in workouts.

draftshowcase.com - His height is a problem for a 3-4, but everything else isn't. Ngata is big enough and strong enough to hold his ground and command double teams. He is a good penetrator, but his athleticism and quickness may be somewhat wasted as a nose tackle. He's better suited for other defenses, but he also projects fairly well to nose guard.

2006.ontheclockdraft.com - has an excellent combination of size, strength, and athleticism for a defensive tackle (http://2006.otcdraft.com/group_list.php?method=position&id=defensive+tackle). At 6-5, 338 pounds, Ngata has been timed as fast as 4.84 in the 40 and has impressive strength numbers of: 407 lbs power clean, 505 lbs bench press, and 585 lbs squat. He has a very quick first step which allows him to beat most offensive linemen off the snap of the ball. He uses his strength to overpower opposing offensive linemen and will push them all the way back into the quarterback (http://2006.otcdraft.com/group_list.php?method=position&id=quarterback) if that is his only option. He has excellent balance and is very skilled at defeating the cut block. Once he penetrates the line, he has the ability to chase down the quarterback (http://2006.otcdraft.com/group_list.php?method=position&id=quarterback) and make plays behind the line of scrimmage. He is extremely difficult to block--More often than not teams will be forced to double or even triple team him, which frees up his teammates to make plays. He has a non-stop motor and doesn’t wear down towards the end of the game as much as most defensive linemen his size do. He is an intelligent player and has proven to be an excellent leader both on and off the field. He has the ability to be a difference maker not only on defense but on special teams as well—he blocked three kicks in 2002 and two more during the 2004 season. The biggest question when it comes to Ngata is going to be his knee. He made a full recovery and believes his surgically repaired knee is now stronger than his uninjured knee, but this is something NFL teams will check out before investing a high draft pick on him. Ngata is a player that can make an immediate impact in the NFL.

B-DON
02-08-2006, 06:10 PM
eslinger is the best center in this draft in my opinion hands down. plus i think we might even be able to have him in the 3rd rd.

Tatonka
02-08-2006, 08:30 PM
i worry about the inconsistentcy thing with ngata.. if we are going to draft an inconsistent DT.. why not take big Gabe from Michigan in the 2nd round instead.. or rodrick wright, who may still be around in the second.

mysticsoto
02-09-2006, 09:06 AM
I have to say I don't like the 2nd pick from ndc (nfldraftcountdown.com). We just drafted a Center last year. Why would we draft another one this year? A center takes time to groom as they make the adjustment from college to pro. Even the top Centers last year that were regarded highly Spencer, Baas didn't do much for their teams last year. I prefer going after Bentley - someone with experience, and grabbing a guard instead as our 2nd pick in the draft. Davin Joseph is my top guard, but if Max Jean-Gilles is available, he'd be a great 2nd choice also. If we are able to get Hutchinson, then we might be able to just grab best available player at the time. Duke Preston played okay in his 1st year, and I wouldn't count him out from being able to contribute more solidly this year as a guard. He just needed to get stronger and hopefully is working out this offseason. I have a feeling that Villarial will stay since he has a connection to Jauron. That being said, maybe he'll play harder for this coach than he did under Mularkey. Mike Williams is still up in the air also. If he transitions well to LG, we may not need anymore help other than backups. I know alot of people hate MW (myself included) for not panning out like we'd hoped, but cutting him still costs us a substantial cap hit. I guess it all depends on whether he is willing to take a pay cut or not. If he says no, we know that he rather sit out or be grabbed by another team and take the money. If he says yes, we know his heart is in football and he's just gotten some bad breaks with injuries along the way. If the latter is true and he's willing to take the pay cut, I will support him to transition to LG and hope his injuries are behind him (no pun intended) :)

After that, it is really wide open as to who we will grab. We need to probably start thinking about upgrading our safeties - especially if we want our cover 2 to be successful. Regardless of whether we keep Milloy this year or not, it is clear that Coy Wire will never be starter material. Pat Watkins is my choice in our second 3rd rd pick or perhaps even our 4th (if he does well in the combine - I think he will be moving up a few notches though). Greg Blue might also be a good choice in one of our 3rds, but needs to work on his hands. Working in a Cover 2 type defense may offer him a great deal of chances at an interception. He already has the speed, but must develop a nose of the ball. He is definitely a hard hitter though and could install fear in some WRs about catching the ball and turning to look before they wrap their catch up. If we want to handle WRs like Chambers, Branch and possibly Jurevicious (if the Patriots attain his services) a safety like this might be ideal for us!

vicmantak
02-10-2006, 01:56 AM
If I'm not wrong, nfldraftcountdown is constantly updating their mock draft and IMO predictions would radically change if we get someone like Bentley. In other words, if Bills upgrade their top needs with unquestionable replacements via FA, I cannot see the same predictions in any mock draft.

On the other hand, as you, the more I think about Ngata, the more I wonder if he would be the best option. Any team would expect an immediate starter with an overall 8th round pick, and I wonder if drafting an underclassman who almost lost his entire sophomore year with an age-controversial injury would be the right choice.
Time is telling us several things but I think Ngata still has a lot to prove and I don't want to see Bills gambling again with a player whose only solid background is a single "spectacular" season or a player who "wowed" everybody at the combine, as they did with Mike Williams or J.P.

The last point is I cannot see Bills going to the "war" with two unexperienced centers and it doesn't make sense that Bills will draft C Nick Mangold looking for a Preston's backup or inclusive for an immediate starter.

In summary, if Bills priority is really stop the run, their best choice would be to draft one if they cannot sign Ian Scott, Russell Davis, Grady Jackson or inclusive DEs like Orpheus Roye and Raheem Brock.
On the other side, if Bills priority is really to make this offense run, their best choice would be move up to get D'Brickashow Ferguson... or move down to get Davin Joseph or Max Jean-Gilles if they cannot sign Steve Hutchinson or LeCharles Bentley.

I don't know but Definition and Determination might be much more stronger than everything in this world, and I would say that stop the run would be easier but make this offense run is simply vital.