PDA

View Full Version : What would you do to improve the Super Bowl?

mybills
02-07-2006, 10:21 AM
I'd have a contest for new officials. The winners would be those who wrote the best essay on why they've never been interested in football. The prize would be full training in league rules, and an entire years salary to ref on that one day. It's an offer they can't refuse, and the NFL can afford it.
Even though they've never been interested in football, it would mean they were unbias. That would improve every game.

or

Best out of 3 wins. I can't see having 3 games in a row like Fri, Sat, & Sun, so I'd cut the quarters to 10 min's. It would start at noon. One full day of football. Half time would be third time..split between games...and the best part would be that the officials would have a harder time making calls without looking like they're playing favorites. They'd actually have to 'work' for the money..but to be nice, I'd pay them a little more.

What would you do?

Pride
02-07-2006, 11:04 AM
You are drunk!

1. 1 week between Conference Championship Games and SuperBowl
2. No Media Day (in fact, a media blackout for the players)
3. SuperBowl Locations change every year... on a 30 city rotation (yes, even Buffalo could host a superbowl)
4. Pregame would simply include a dynamic and lively introduction of a list of no more than 20 players for each team.
5. This should happen for every game. Microchips implanted in the tips of the football. This would indicate whether or not the ball crossed the goal line, or first down marker (shoot infrared across field)
6. Get rid of the half time celebration, and replace it with a marching band of some sort
7. After the game, remain on broadcast to visit the winniners and losers lockeroom.
8. Somehow find a way to ensure that Refs are not paid off
9. Somehow find a way to ensure that NFL does not have any input on who should win the game (Yes, I believe in conspiracies)
10. Allow a panel of "judges" to determine whether or not a call should be overturned... including penalties.

mybills
02-07-2006, 11:20 AM
Unfortunately, I'm sober. :ill: I like your half time band idea. Um, # 8 is what I said I'd change. I'd also not allow any player to do the coin toss.

tat2dmike77
02-07-2006, 11:26 AM
Get rid of the 800 hours of pregame
Delete the dumb ass half time show
Get rid of media day (i don't care when the players eat thier meals)
Allow each NFL city a chance to host the super bowl dome stadium or not
Hire FULL time officals Goes for reg season to
Allow only players who have been retired for at least 5 years to have any participation in super bowl activities I.E coin toss trophy presentation
Fire the super bowl XL officiating crew

Stewie
02-07-2006, 12:47 PM
hah this one is easy.

the superbowl is in buffalo every year, and buffalo is the afc rep if they win ten games. If not, they're the nfc rep.

;)

dolphinssuck
02-07-2006, 02:28 PM
bring in capable officials to call the games and ban Tom Brady from anypart of the stadium or city for that matter.

don137
02-07-2006, 03:41 PM
Have it on Saturday and not Sunday so people with kids on the east coast don't have to leave parties early because they have school the next day

Iehoshua
02-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Pride - the microchip idea is interesting, however how would it be able to discern from whether or not the player is down prior to the ball crossing the plain? That's the biggest issue with the idea...

Mr. Miyagi
02-07-2006, 03:59 PM
I want a Miller Lite girls mud wrestling half time show. :naughty:

Iehoshua
02-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Pride - the microchip idea is interesting, however how would it be able to discern from whether or not the player is down prior to the ball crossing the plain? That's the biggest issue with the idea...
I suppose if there was a way to cross reference the 'sensor log' with the replay, seeing the exact point when it was tripped and crossed the goal line while the ref is seeing the player's body, it would work.

Cool.

Make it so.

Typ0
02-07-2006, 04:48 PM
I have considered the microchip idea and think it could be effective but it will never happen because it works against the marketing strategy of the NFL.

In order to best demonstrate this first we must look at how the replay is used. The replay is directly dependant on the quality of the television coverage of the game. For the prime time games there is much better coverage than smaller market games played at the traditional times. I have no idea how this flies under the radar with the fans, the teams and the officiating crews. For every single game there needs to be exactly the same support tools in place to manage the games. As if the ref's don't have a difficult enough job, they must also work with different tools every game they work. This is just plain not right and the league has to install uniform cameras and crews across the stadiums to make this work.

Why does this work against the marketing strategy of the NFL? Because if they installed some sort of grid under the turf and a chip in the ball this is not something that would be flying under the radar. Every team would insist each game has the same support. It would mean that all 32 stadiums be equipped with the technology. That is not the part that is prohibitive. The problem lies when games are not played in an NFL stadium. Specifically, the NFL wants to branch out into international markets by scheduling games in other stadiums. What team would not object to playing games in a stadium that did not have the tools to support the chip in the ball?

What would the NFL do when a natural disaster like Katrina hit?

From a technological perspective, I think it's very doable...but it might require that a field not be real grass. Somehow, there would need to be a grid under the field and that grid could become hazardous to a player on real grass during a major rain storm.

Typ0
02-07-2006, 04:49 PM
I suppose if there was a way to cross reference the 'sensor log' with the replay, seeing the exact point when it was tripped and crossed the goal line while the ref is seeing the player's body, it would work.

Cool.

Make it so.

yes that would work fine. The ref should be able to move the tape forward to exactly the spot the player is down, and then a computer could analyze where the furthest progress of the ball was. With a first down marker that is actually incorporated with a grid under the field, this would work nicely to gain a lot of precision over where the ball moved during play.

SabreEleven
02-07-2006, 05:04 PM
What would you do?

I'd make it illegal in all 50 states that you post on any type of NFL message board ever again.

Pride
02-07-2006, 05:06 PM
This could also be very effective for online use.

You could actually show the movement on the ball in some type of flash screen via the internet to people who cant watch the game... or even on cell phones!

SabreEleven
02-07-2006, 05:12 PM
This could also be very effective for online use.

You could actually show the movement on the ball in some type of flash screen via the internet to people who cant watch the game... or even on cell phones!

Wouldn't you want the sensor's through the whole football, not just the ends. A ball could cross the line and it's sides and the tips not, It is ticky tack but so was the whole SuperBowl.

SabreEleven
02-07-2006, 05:12 PM
I'd make it illegal in all 50 states that you post on any type of NFL message board ever again.

I forgot Puerto Rico, too. I don't want them getting mad at me.

Typ0
02-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Wouldn't you want the sensor's through the whole football, not just the ends. A ball could cross the line and it's sides and the tips not, It is ticky tack but so was the whole SuperBowl.

actually I think the best way would be to insert one sensor anywhere and then graphically generate the rest of the ball. That way the whole ball would be covered like you suggest.

DraftBoy
02-07-2006, 06:23 PM
I would change nothing esp where it involves computer chips and such. I for one do not want to take the human error out of a human played game.

The_Philster
02-07-2006, 07:21 PM
human error got a bit excessive Sunday, though

Typ0
02-07-2006, 07:55 PM
there would still be plenty of human intervention and with it plenty of error. We're just talking about better support tools. But like I said, it will hurt the marketing plan so it likely won't happen.

ublinkwescore
02-07-2006, 11:24 PM
good idea - allow teams to field a much healthier team, and prepare better for their opponents.

2. No Media Day - you'd change your mind if Buffalo got back to the superbowl - and you can't deny it.

3. SuperBowl Locations change every year... on a 30 city rotation (yes, even Buffalo could host a superbowl)
One of the many things that suck about the NFL

5. This should happen for every game. Microchips implanted in the tips of the football. This would indicate whether or not the ball crossed the goal line, or first down marker (shoot infrared across field)
I agree.

6. Get rid of the half time celebration
I say we just keep old people from being the half-time celebration - see Janet Jackson, and then the Stones? :ill:

7. After the game, remain on broadcast to visit the winniners and losers lockeroom.
Don't they do this anyways?

And fire those who would accept bribes, as well as let the media know about it so it will potentially ruin any careers in sports afterwards - this $#!t has got to stop.

9. Somehow find a way to ensure that NFL does not have any input on who should win the game (Yes, I believe in conspiracies)
What more proof do we need other than Tom Brady getting to flip the coin - they're so attached to his @$$, when he farts, they know exactly what he had for dinner.

10. Allow a panel of "judges" to determine whether or not a call should be overturned... including penalties.
I agree, they also need to let plays where there's a potential fumble play out, and go to a review if necessary, or let the panel of refs in the booth put the play call to a vote, and then radio it down to the refs on the field. The NFL's problems are so easily solved, but corruption impedes this progress - at least I'm now more convinced than ever before.

AndreReed83
02-08-2006, 01:53 AM
One thing I think they need is refs in the stands or in a booth or somewhere. Where they can watch various parts of the game from a vantage point the zebras on the field can't. Guys that can varify certain calls (like holding and illegal blocks).

Professional officials wouldn't hurt either. From what I understand, the NFL refs are volunteers or whatever? It's not their main job.

As for improving the Super Bowl, simply don't fix the next one for storylines and money.

CuseJetsFan83
02-08-2006, 03:05 AM
good idea - allow teams to field a much healthier team, and prepare better for their opponents.

2. No Media Day - you'd change your mind if Buffalo got back to the superbowl - and you can't deny it.

One of the many things that suck about the NFL

I agree.

6. Get rid of the half time celebration
I say we just keep old people from being the half-time celebration - see Janet Jackson, and then the Stones? :ill:

Don't they do this anyways?

And fire those who would accept bribes, as well as let the media know about it so it will potentially ruin any careers in sports afterwards - this $#!t has got to stop.

What more proof do we need other than Tom Brady getting to flip the coin - they're so attached to his @$$, when he farts, they know exactly what he had for dinner.

I agree, they also need to let plays where there's a potential fumble play out, and go to a review if necessary, or let the panel of refs in the booth put the play call to a vote, and then radio it down to the refs on the field. The NFL's problems are so easily solved, but corruption impedes this progress - at least I'm now more convinced than ever before.

#1 - wouldnt the shorter amount of time not be enough time for nursed injuries, and didn't it used to be 1 week between? and then they pushed it to 2 weeks...... or has it always been 2 weeks?

#2 no news is the best news

#3 im actually quite surprised that buffalo hasn't hosted something big like the ncaa final four, or things of that sort..... but then again, no one wants to be up here

#5 - this is an expensive but i think nifty idea

#6 keep the "half time celebration" down to the usual halftime timing

#7 im ok with this idear, only thing is when it comes to the losers, give them a lil space

#8 i agree with that FULLY!

#9 while i respect the NFL's grading policy on whom does the super bowl, i still think that ed hochuli should be a ref for hte big game

#10 - maybe should they not only have the ref take care of it, but they should also have the "replay official upstairs" put in a say too...... panel of judges sounds really good too.. hell take a tv time out....... let all the refs see and do a majority rules

Historian
02-08-2006, 05:54 AM
You make some great suggestions, Pride.

All I would say, is cut the hype. Better yet, move all the hype to All-Star week in Hawaii, and let the Super Bowl go back to what it's supposed to be....the League Championship.

Have media day, and rock concerts, and all that silliness in hawaii the following week.

Make the SB more like a regular season game. Cut all the crap out.

mybills
02-08-2006, 08:33 AM
If they can put a microphone and or ear piece in a helmet, they should put a camera on every ref's hat. That's the only way they can prove to me what they saw and why they called the penalty.

mybills
02-08-2006, 08:34 AM
Stop flirting with me, *****. We're both married, but not to each other.

SabreEleven
02-08-2006, 04:20 PM
Stop flirting with me, *****. We're both married, but not to each other.

Remember I have pictures of you naked, so watch your step.