PDA

View Full Version : Tocchet faces gambling charges

hammerbillsfan
02-07-2006, 11:47 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=153954&hubname

ABC and NBC News affiliates in Philadelphia report that the New Jersey attorney general says former NHL player Rick Tocchet (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/player_bio.asp?player_id=1095) and a state police trooper will face charges related to a gambling ring allegedly tied to organized crime.

A press conference held in Trenton, N.J., announced that state trooper James Harney and a man identified as James Ulmer of Swedesboro were arrested in connection with the ring.

NBC News 10 also reported that a complaint summons has been issued for Tocchet and he is expected to travel to New Jersey to surrender on the charges.

:wtf:

hammerbillsfan
02-07-2006, 02:44 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2322234

hammerbillsfan
02-07-2006, 04:05 PM
And now, Janet Jones-Gretzky has been implicated in the gambling ring.
Stay tuned. :tube:

Link above.

hammerbillsfan
02-07-2006, 04:41 PM
Just heard at work, Mark Recchi is one of the players in this story.

:shocked:

hammerbillsfan
02-07-2006, 04:43 PM
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=153963&hubname

Now that a "covert" police operation in New Jersey has busted an illegal bookmaking operation, the New Jersey State Police's "overt" investigation will kick into high gear and that could be the NHL’s worst nightmare.

Lieutenant Colonel Frank Rodgers, 43, the deputy superintendent of investigations with the New Jersey State Police in Hamilton., N.J., has confirmed to TSN that "12 NHL players or people closely associated with NHL clubs”, including one team owner and one member of a coaching staff, have been placing bets with the illegal bookmaking operation that has been the focus of an eight-month undercover operation, dubbed "Operation Slapshot."

pyrrhonist
02-07-2006, 10:53 PM
It's too bad this couldn't have happened before the wife & I went to the last Coyotes/Sharks game, so I could've asked Rick for some gambling odds from behind the glass (We sat right behind the Phoenix bench in SJ):

hammerbillsfan
02-07-2006, 11:00 PM
I can't believe Wayne's wife was in on this. :wtf:

It will be interesting who are the players involved in this. hmmmm

hammerbillsfan
02-08-2006, 01:42 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2323292

Rick Tocchet and his co-defendants, New Jersey State Trooper James J. Harney and James A. Ulmer of Swedesboro, N.J., will be arraigned in state Superior Court in Burlington County within the next 7-10 days, James Hagerty, the spokesman for the state Division of Criminal Justice, told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio.

Hagerty said Tocchet, an assistant coach with the Phoenix Coyotes, will not turn himself in to state police before that arraignment date, which should be set later Wednesday.

JD
02-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Wait, so what are they gambling on? The games? lol..i dont feel like reading any of the articles :snicker:

hammerbillsfan
02-09-2006, 09:36 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2324402

Phoenix Coyotes coach Wayne Gretzky knew about a gambling ring involving his wife and assistant coach Rick Tocchet, law enforcement sources who cited state wiretaps told the Newark Star-Ledger.

The Star-Ledger reported in Thursday's editions that there is no evidence that Gretzky placed bets, but investigators are looking into whether his wife, Janet Jones, placed them for him.

Gretzky has said that he had no knowledge of the gambling ring.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=2324030

Here's what we love about hockey players. They are for the most part selfless. They believe in the celebration of the group over individual glory. They believe in individual sacrifice for a common goal. They believe fervently in the team.

If ever the game needed those qualities to reveal themselves it is now.

A day after New Jersey State Police announced they had charged veteran star and current Phoenix Coyotes assistant coach Rick Tocchet with money laundering, promoting gambling and conspiracy in connection with a sophisticated sports betting ring, the game teeters between shock and apprehension.

Typ0
02-09-2006, 11:54 AM
Looks like the great one lied. Another tainted icon.

hammerbillsfan
02-09-2006, 11:07 PM
Phoenix Coyotes (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/clubhouse?team=pho) coach Wayne Gretzky knew about a gambling ring involving his wife and assistant coach Rick Tocchet, sources who cited state wiretaps told the Newark Star-Ledger and The Associated Press.

Star-Ledger reported in Thursday's editions that there is no evidence that Gretzky placed bets, but investigators are looking into whether his wife, Janet Jones Gretzky, placed them for him.
<!---------------------INLINE TABLE (BEGIN)-------------------->

JD
02-11-2006, 04:05 AM
Did he lie? I think Gretzky is slick he said he didnt place any bets...which is correct, he had his wife do the dirty work...what a ******* :limp:

Myers57
02-11-2006, 05:48 PM
Apparently they caugh Gretzky on the wiretap after he was already told about it by the cops, http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=154510&hubname=nhl

JD
02-12-2006, 02:27 AM
What a disgrace to the league.. good way to hurt our image.. it was hard enough not being much of a popular sport....

ticatfan
02-13-2006, 08:24 AM
If you read the facts gretz has nothing to do with it,the wiretapping story is a joke . It is a american conspiracy. Look at the facts ,the have been on this for over 6 months ,but bring it up just before the olympics and they said that gretz might have to return from there to be question. I can not believe that the americans would go that low just to try and win a gold medal, but like other american ideas we have seen lately, it to will blow up in your face and tean canada is going to take it out on your own players and destroy your team. CANADA RULES.

pyrrhonist
02-13-2006, 11:34 AM
Did I miss something? Did Gretzky or Tocchet conspire to kill someone or something? I could swear this was just a betting ring. I run a fantasy football league locally here.....I guess I'm a disgrace to my family! :rolleyes:

And besides, it's hard to hurt the credibility of hockey in the US media, when the US gives little to no respect to hockey or the NHL anyways. :down:

Typ0
02-13-2006, 12:30 PM
If you read the facts gretz has nothing to do with it,the wiretapping story is a joke . It is a american conspiracy. Look at the facts ,the have been on this for over 6 months ,but bring it up just before the olympics and they said that gretz might have to return from there to be question. I can not believe that the americans would go that low just to try and win a gold medal, but like other american ideas we have seen lately, it to will blow up in your face and tean canada is going to take it out on your own players and destroy your team. CANADA RULES.

The fact is Gretz knew about it and lied. That is the mistake he made and it's the same mistake Nixon made. Now, whatever he says is going to be tainted with a wonder if he's telling the truth. Had he not done that...a guy like Gretz would have gotten the benefit of the doubt every time...but not now.

I don't think the timing was as suspicious as you say either...they waited until after the superbowl when the most bets were taking place...now they are busting those people. It's just an unfortunate coincidence it's just prior to the olympic break.

ticatfan
02-13-2006, 01:39 PM
The fact is Gretz knew about it and lied. That is the mistake he made and it's the same mistake Nixon made. Now, whatever he says is going to be tainted with a wonder if he's telling the truth. Had he not done that...a guy like Gretz would have gotten the benefit of the doubt every time...but not now.

I don't think the timing was as suspicious as you say either...they waited until after the superbowl when the most bets were taking place...now they are busting those people. It's just an unfortunate coincidence it's just prior to the olympic break.Better read up on what is going on typo, the recording of gretz asking about the wife ,was after it became public not before, the media **** up again. And why not wait till after the olympics and get them betting on the hockey, would'nt that have been better, it's all about the gold baby. lol

Earthquake Enyart
02-13-2006, 02:03 PM
If he did know about it, he's a liar.

If he didn't know about it, he's a moron for having a wife throw around that kind of money without him knowing about it.

ticatfan
02-13-2006, 03:03 PM
If he did know about it, he's a liar.

If he didn't know about it, he's a moron for having a wife throw around that kind of money without him knowing about it.For the 3rd time ,it was proven he did not know, and his wife probably has her own money. But with the amount that he has ,you probably would not notice it. lol

Typ0
02-13-2006, 04:27 PM
Better read up on what is going on typo, the recording of gretz asking about the wife ,was after it became public not before, the media **** up again. And why not wait till after the olympics and get them betting on the hockey, would'nt that have been better, it's all about the gold baby. lol

no...you had better read up on what's going on. The wire-tap info was recorder prior to his big initial statements about how he had no idea what was going on.

ticatfan
02-14-2006, 12:30 PM
no...you had better read up on what's going on. The wire-tap info was recorder prior to his big initial statements about how he had no idea what was going on. He knew nothing, give it up, now I see haseks equipment has now gone missing in washington, you guys will do anything to win that gold, well you better do something to the swedes and finns if you guy want a chance at a medal.

Typ0
02-14-2006, 01:14 PM
He knew nothing, give it up, now I see haseks equipment has now gone missing in washington, you guys will do anything to win that gold, well you better do something to the swedes and finns if you guy want a chance at a medal.

sounds like the cries of an ignorant homer to me! ;)