PDA

View Full Version : Gannon costs the Raiders the Game

Earthquake Enyart
01-27-2003, 08:47 AM
5 picks in a big game vs. a winning team.

They need to get rid of him and pick up Blake or Chandler.

LtBillsFan66
01-27-2003, 08:51 AM
:up:

Dozerdog
01-27-2003, 08:52 AM
Pick up both!!

Dozerdog
01-27-2003, 08:53 AM
Take away his 3 longest interceptions - returned for TDs- and they still lose 27-21

So get off his back!!!

Voltron
01-27-2003, 10:10 AM
:rofl: this is one of the best posts I have seen in a while!

:lolcry:

colin
01-27-2003, 11:04 AM
Gannon got some pressure, but we see QBs for Blo get more pressure than that day in and day out.

Brad Johnson was pretty crappy too.

I hope this shows the QB myopia fans that a QB can only be as good as those around him let him be. Quarter Backs CANNOT win by themselves, a team is required.

I am sure the same know nothings will blather on about what QB can't play when he gets no protection, and what QB is unstopable when he gets no pressure.

FOOTBALL IS ABOUT BIG MEN.

WG
01-27-2003, 12:33 PM
Maybe they should get a running game instead of a permanent "3rd-down scat back!" That might help. Hey, if I could easily predict the outcome of this to a "T" I might add, then it isn't Gannon. You just don't win championships w/ only a passing game.

How come ya didn't start this thread w/ that inuendo? Bledsoe would have had 8-10 sacks or more and that many INTs as well yesterday. It was predictable for those realizing that passing gets you nowhere in the big picture apart from solid rushing and very good to excellent D.

You guys might figure that out someday...

:D

WG
01-27-2003, 12:34 PM
I'll say it now, if Bledsoe is relied on to toss over 600 balls next year, then we aren't going anywhere either.

LtBillsFan66
01-27-2003, 12:38 PM
:deadhorse

Earthquake Enyart
01-27-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
Maybe they should get a running game instead of a permanent "3rd-down scat back!" That might help. Hey, if I could easily predict the outcome of this to a "T" I might add, then it isn't Gannon. You just don't win championships w/ only a passing game.

I don't know what you are talking about. Gannon is the only person to blame for this defeat as his 5 pics were the sole cause of defeat. Game planning or the running game had absolutely nothing to do with the loss.

Ð
01-27-2003, 01:36 PM
He's the second coming of Ray Lucas.

Ð
01-27-2003, 01:43 PM
Hey isn't innuendo Italian for Up yours ?

Patrick76777
01-27-2003, 02:10 PM
It still takes balance……In case you haven’t noticed, TB has 3 solid WR’s and a QB who had a pro bowl season. And they also ranked near the bottom of the NFL in rushing the ball. The TB offense albeit not nearly as explosive as the Raiders, also relied heavily on the pass.

My point is that in order to win the whole thing, you need a strong D and a capable offense. An offense that will be able to get down the field and put up points in one minute if need be. We have a capable offense, and now we’re working on the D.

Billz_fan
01-27-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
It still takes balance……In case you haven’t noticed, TB has 3 solid WR’s and a QB who had a pro bowl season. And they also ranked near the bottom of the NFL in rushing the ball. The TB offense albeit not nearly as explosive as the Raiders, also relied heavily on the pass.

My point is that in order to win the whole thing, you need a strong D and a capable offense. An offense that will be able to get down the field and put up points in one minute if need be. We have a capable offense, and now we’re working on the D.

I agree, To add insult to injury last night Michael Pittman decided to start running like a feature back for a change. After only gaining 600-700 yards all season his first half performance was key along with the Buc's defensive efforts. If Pittman doesn't have a great 1st half like he did the offense would have struggled much for TB.

Patrick76777
01-27-2003, 02:39 PM
So true….the game was going NOWHERE for both teams and I’m yelling at my TV for Tampa to run the ball. They finally did and it was huge…..it opened up the pass and they were able to do what ever they wanted.

Ð
01-27-2003, 02:54 PM
Tampa's OL was like a subway turnstile for most of the season, especially early on. I thought Pittman was gonna be huge for them, but they couldn't block for ****.

I was pleaseantly surprised at how he ran in the SB, so were the Raiders, although they probably wouldn't use the term pleasant.

Earthquake Enyart
01-27-2003, 02:59 PM
I don't know what the hell you guys are talking about. Rich Gannon has always choked in the big game. His record vs. winning teams is 9-39.

Each interception cost them the game. He is the sole person that is to be blamed.

Honest_Liar
01-27-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Patrick76777
So true….the game was going NOWHERE for both teams and I’m yelling at my TV for Tampa to run the ball. They finally did and it was huge…..it opened up the pass and they were able to do what ever they wanted.

Exactly. Before the game, I had no idea what the outcome would be like. I guess I underestimated Tampa's defence, and I thought that Gannon would have time to pass and it would be a lot closer, I guess not. Also, I underestimated Pittman, and the o-line. I thought Tampa would have no running game, and they'd have to rely on Brad Johnson. It was a total team effort, and everything worked out for them..everything clicked, except for a couple of Tom Tupa mistakes

:fiedler: <------ hahah.. Jay Fiedler.

Patrick76777
01-27-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
I don't know what the hell you guys are talking about. Rich Gannon has always choked in the big game. His record vs. winning teams is 9-39.

Each interception cost them the game. He is the sole person that is to be blamed.

It’s all about the QB. Everything else that goes into a game is nonsense. It doesn’t matter about the gameplan, the other 50-some players, the 20-some coaches, etc. Just the QB. Down with the QB’s!

LtBillsFan66
01-27-2003, 03:28 PM
Gannan has yet to post a win against teams he lost to.

Lone Stranger
01-27-2003, 04:00 PM
I don't recall Madden analyzing the inability of Brown and Rice to get open. See"Madden must go" above.

Ingtar33
01-27-2003, 04:07 PM
He’s 0-1 in the Super Bowl, and threw 5ints that all caused the raiders to lose. Even though the first two INTs were close to the 50, and the Raiders D, let them march down to score, it was still his fault they got those points. And it was his fault the Raiders D could stop Tampa regardless the down and distance, and it was Gannon's fault the Raiders didn't run more because the O-Coordinator was so in love with Gannon's arm he refused to run the ball. Oh yah, one more thing, its all Gannon’s fault he was sacked 5 times, I mean he is a pocket QB in the age of mobile QBs… if he was even half as good a scrambler as Brad Johnson he wouldn’t have been sacked so much. Pocket QBs are just tackling dummies in today’s NFL, and no pocket QB will ever win the Superbowl… Brad Johnson proves that for you (if the success of Warner vs. McNair didn’t convince you of this fact than yesterday should have sealed the deal). NFL MVP! He'll never win anything, he just racks up yards and TDs but has no effect on his team winning, all he can do is hurt his team.

You’ll have to forgive me… my tongue was firmly stuck to the inside of my cheek

Earthquake Enyart
01-27-2003, 04:47 PM
3 pics returned for TD's. For that alone he should be flogged.

I don't know why Tsuiasosopo didn't get a chance.

Judge
01-27-2003, 04:51 PM
He reminded me of our #12 who played some Super Bowl stinkers.

lunatic_bills_fan
01-27-2003, 04:52 PM
Maybe they should get a running game instead of a permanent &quot;3rd-down scat back!&quot; That might help. Hey, if I could easily predict the outcome of this to a &quot;T&quot; I might add, then it isn't Gannon. You just don't win championships w/ only a passing game.

How come ya didn't start this thread w/ that inuendo? Bledsoe would have had 8-10 sacks or more and that many INTs as well yesterday. It was predictable for those realizing that passing gets you nowhere in the big picture apart from solid rushing and very good to excellent D.

You guys might figure that out someday...

Yup, never got them anywhere. Boy would I have loved to see them win that game and see what you had to say. It got them to the God#@%$ Superbowl, thats where it got them. Their D was pathetic the last 3 quarters. Rich Gannon didnt play the way he could. A monkey could have sen that. If he has a on day, that game has a different outcome.

Earthquake Enyart
01-27-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by BillsFanOne
Gannan has yet to post a win against teams he lost to.

:rofl:

TigerJ
01-27-2003, 05:06 PM
One observer on the local radio station with more football accumen than I possess noticed that Rich Gannon took almost no three step drops. Most of the time on pass plays he was taking five step drops. It may be that the Oakland coaching staff overestimated the ability of their O-line to cope with Tampa's fierce pass rush. Note also that several of those picks happened late in the game when Tampa did not have to play the run at all. Oakland had to pass and Tampa knew it. Tampa's defence is too good to beat when they know what you have to do.

I don't know the details of Rich Gannon's history other than the fact he played college ball at Delaware and was a dangerous scrambler coming out of college. As far as I know he has never played in a Super Bowl before. However, to get to the Super Bowl, Gannon and the Raiders had to play several big games. They seemed to manage quite well. The assertion that he always chokes in big games would seem not to have much merit.

All in all I would say Oakland's biggest failure was in the coaching.

Earthquake Enyart
01-27-2003, 05:08 PM
Callahan didn't throw 5 pics. There is only one man to blame for that.

BillyT92679
01-27-2003, 07:14 PM
Gannon is singularly the most self-conscious qb imaginable. Every fault comes from some teammate making an egregious error. It's never Richie's fault; he never makes the bad pass, or makes the bad read. No, it's Porter's fault for running the wrong route, or Garner's for not cut-blocking his man. Or Callahan's fault for a bad playcall. If Gannon starts to lose at all next year (and bet it on with the cap situation) I guarantee his comrades will turn on him and tear him to pieces. He is a quasi-leader.

Doc
01-27-2003, 09:38 PM
The reason the Raiders lost is because Gruden told them the plays they run and the audibles. Lynch said so during one of his mike sessions on the sidelines during the game. Gannon is a class act and I was surprised he choked like that, but he was to blame for at least his first 2 INT's, which were killers. It would have helped if Woodson could have INT'd the ball that was right in his hands or if Tim Brown had shown up to play, but in the end the Bucs were too hungry and knew what the Raiders were going to do all day long.

WG
01-28-2003, 05:20 AM
Here we go w/ all the one-dimensional "blame Gannon" analyses again...

:rolleyes:

The only D that the Raiders played that was anywhere close to the Tampa D was the Phins. The Raiders had a similar game then too scoring only 17 points. Gannon was to blame as at least 3 of those INTs were entirely his fault for not seeing the coverages developing or there.

To blame him for allowing the Bucs to move that ball however, particularly in the first half when Tampa amassed 20 of their 27 offensive points is shortsighted. Many of you said the Bucs couldn't move the ball v. this "tremendous" Raider D. Well, it didn't play so well now, did it, allowing 20 first half points, over half the Bucs total yards, Pittman's 75 rushing yards on a 6.3 YPC avg. I fail to see how Gannon had a thing to do w/ that. The second half stuff is arguable, but that was all in the first half with the score close enough to not be an excuse to loft the ball 80% of the time.

The reason the Raiders had to pass so much is b/c their run wasn't working, HELLO!

Here are the gains made on the Raiders' first rushes while the score was either tied at 0, Raiders ahead by 3, tied at 3, Bucs ahead by only 7, and Bucs ahead by 10 still in the first half:

1, 4, 2, 0, 2, 4, -1

The Raiders chose to pass, just like we did all season, on 20 of 27 plays while they were either leading by 3, or with the score tied, down by 3, 7, or 10 still in the first half. That's 74% passing.

The reason they lost is twofold, they couldn't stop the Bucs who had a very balanced 150 rushing yards to 215 passing yards, and b/c they couldn't score themselves. If they had had a rushing game, then they could have scored. It still wouldn't have prevented Gannon's INTs, at least not all of them, but they would have been able to hold the ball for more than the 22 minutes they did vice the 37 minutes that Tampa did.

We should take a page out of the lessens of this game. For anyone who thinks that Drew would have fared better, that's naive. We need to limit what we do in the passing game and spend most of our resources this offseason on D, D, D!! Then we need to make sure that Henry gets at least 25 carries a game next year and base the O on that. Who cares if Drew is the leading yardage passer in the league or not if we can't win at that level.

Offense sells tickets, Defense wins championships!

We've sold our tickets, now it's time to win a championship. Unless of course more ticket sales are more important! IMO winning a championship or at least the conference would sell more seats the following year than getting more marquee offensive players.

If Tampa can win w/ Brad Johnson, Pittman, McCardell, Jurevicious, Keyshawn, and Dilger and an OL worse than ours, then we should be able to win w/ Bledsoe, Henry, Moulds, Reed, Moore, and a better OL. The key is the D. We had a poor one that improved on many fronts to above average. The Bucs had the #1 D. Their STs were average this year.

Gannon was a victim of the system there as Drew is here. You just can't put the ball up that many times and expect to win. They had a soft schedule this year. They only played one of the NFC's playoff teams and lost to S.F. and scored only 20 points, and struggled in that game too w/ the RBs only getting 75 rushing yards and Gannon only throwing for 164 yards and 1 TD.

Tennessee, the Jets, and Pittsburgh were all average in scoring D this season.

The sooner we learn to run the ball and make sure we don't put it in the air nearly as much as we did this year, the sooner we'll be on track for a championship! I'd rather see a championship than records coming out our wazzoo's for Drew and the WRs.

Johnson threw 22 TDs (only 2 less than Drew and w/o the INTs, only 6) on around only 2/3 of the yards that Drew put up. The Buc WRs had 1,088, 670, and 423 yards and only 15 TDs among the three. I would rather see that and a championship than bookoo yards, attempts, and completions. Both will not happen.

Earthquake Enyart
01-28-2003, 07:01 AM
Here we go w/ all the one-dimensional &quot;blame Gannon&quot; analyses again...

Gannon was a victim of the system there as Drew is here. You just can't put the ball up that many times and expect to win. They had a soft schedule this year. They only played one of the NFC's playoff teams and lost to S.F. and scored only 20 points, and struggled in that game too w/ the RBs only getting 75 rushing yards and Gannon only throwing for 164 yards and 1 TD.

. [/B]

System schmystem. Nickle back in a cover 2. Gannon didn't see the safety all day even though he was standing in the middle of the field.

They should have gotten rid of Gannon and picked up Blake or Chandler, then spend their money on a good back like Watters or Pittman.

German
01-28-2003, 07:03 AM
5 picks in a big game vs. a winning team.

They need to get rid of him and pick up Blake or Chandler.

Wrong, the OL did!!!

Dozerdog
01-28-2003, 07:42 AM
EE-

Keep it up- I'm about to wet my pants here I'm laughing so friggin'hard...:rofl::lol:

WG
01-28-2003, 10:29 AM
Yeah, you'll be doin' somethin' else in your pants next season if Drew puts up another 18 TOs in our 7 most important games next season...

LtBillsFan66
01-28-2003, 10:31 AM
Maybe if the Raiders had a stud DT like Sam Adams, they would win the Super Bowl.

WG
01-28-2003, 10:34 AM
Yeah, maybe, if they didn't have a rookie MLB and a totally banged up secondary w/ overrated CBs and a washed up and overaged S. Maybe then, huh?

I've been tellin' ya their D was overrated all season long.

Call me crazy! ;)

WG
01-28-2003, 10:36 AM
The Raider D has been overrated all season. Parella, Romanowski, and Adams were it's strengths. Actually, the rookie Buchanon was also good even for a rookie until he got hurt.

Then he wasn't good anymore... :D

LtBillsFan66
01-28-2003, 10:47 AM
Yeah Adams would have done much better with two useless ends, a washed up LB, a rookie SS, a noname FS and a spastic nickel back.

WG
01-28-2003, 11:17 AM
:)

Earthquake Enyart
01-28-2003, 11:30 AM
The Raider D wasn't on the field when all the ints went for TD's.

There is only one man to blame. And he has a HUGE cap number. Pro Bowl appearances mean nothing.

timfromjersey
01-28-2003, 11:46 AM
It's amazing reading you guys. Especially EE. All gannons fault? Coaching and gameplaning means nothing? Defense is overrated? Doc is the only one in this thread who has it right.

Gannon's only problem is he has a weak arm and his passing success this whole season was based on the timing of the throw or finding a wide open reciever with thier spread offense. You have to have protection and time to do this. Just ask Chad Pennington. As Doc said, the Bucs defense knew exactly what play's the Raiders would run, and once the Raiders had to resort to passing because they were down, Gannon couldn't stick in the hard pass on the sideline/out patterns or deep seam patterns.

The Bucs pass coverages were tight on the underneath stuff the whole game and they were waiting to jump on all of Gannon's weak slants and outs. The offense and coaches/coordinators never stretched out the defense with deep passes on play action or first down, the coverage was tight on all the short stuff and it forced Gannon to read down to third and fourth option, way too late, underpressure with a weak arm. I'm surprised he didn't have eight interceptions.

The Raiders offensive line looked like they were crapping in the jock straps looking at the pass rush, yet the coaches called nothing to negate the blitzing. Almost no screens, or rollouts which might have gotten Gannon into some sort of rythm. Gannon is still mobile enough for that. And the raiders did nothing to adjust. They started the second half calling exactly the same plays or using the same stategy they had in the first half. THE HEAD COACH IS TO BLAME FOR THIS LOSS BECAUSE HE WAS COMPLETELY UNPREPARED FOR THIS GAME AND WAS TOO STUPID TO ADJUST!

I'd don't know how you can get on the defense when they were on the field almost the whole game, exhausted. A tired defense cannot stop the run. Raiders offense had what, 50 yards total offense and 2 first downs going into half. What a disgrace!

Cntrygal
01-28-2003, 12:49 PM
Good post tim. :up:

Earthquake Enyart
01-28-2003, 01:02 PM
:tongue:

Amazing how many people don't know sarcasm when they see it. :snicker:

lordofgun
01-28-2003, 01:04 PM
:lol:

This thread is hilarious. It shows the importance of smilies.

LtBillsFan66
01-28-2003, 01:32 PM
Maybe the thread sould have a disclaimer:

Warning, this tread was created to mock a delusional fan who is on a tireless campaign to blame Bledsoe for all the Bills 2002 troubles.

Patrick76777
01-28-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by BillsFanOne
Yeah Adams would have done much better with two useless ends, a washed up LB, a rookie SS, a noname FS and a spastic nickel back.

Best comeback of this thread. Brilliant.

LtBillsFan66
01-28-2003, 01:51 PM
Thanks.

justasportsfan
01-28-2003, 02:01 PM
Does the fact that Gruden knows the Raider players give him an advantage over the Raiders coach?

Why am I not surprised that wys tried to turn this into a "Drew sucks" thread?:scratch:

Rude American
01-28-2003, 02:05 PM
Rich Gannon has always choked in the big game. His record vs. winning teams is 9-39.

But seriously, all kidding aside, if you take away those 39 losses his record becomes 9-0, and that's outstanding.

lordofgun
01-28-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Rude American

But seriously, all kidding aside, if you take away those 39 losses his record becomes 9-0, and that's outstanding.

:lol: Brilliant analysis.

Patrick76777
01-28-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Rude American

We really have some wise folk on this board. People who really know how to use statistics to prove a point. Rude, I applaud you insight.

Rude American
01-28-2003, 02:12 PM
It's no laughing matter, LOG. It's a cold, hard fact that CAN'T be ignored.

lordofgun
01-28-2003, 02:12 PM
:rofl: