PDA

View Full Version : Reasons not to blame Scott Norwood...

FlyingDutchman
02-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Dont know if anyone caught the top 5 reason you can't blame Scott Norwood for the super bowl loss on ESPN. They did a half an hour special, but I only caught 4 reasons. Ya know, they day bothers me still today, but the reasons are good.

4.Biggest safety in super bowl history. When Hostetler held on to the ball with Bruce Smith clinging to him, that might have been the difference in the game. Had he dropped the ball, the bills would have been up 17-3 and no team has ever come back from that deficit in SB history.

3.Time of possesion and coaching. We all remember how long the Giants had the ball that game. They said the coaching staff of Bill Parcells, Romeo, Weis and Billichek and coached levy by great play calling, making back breaking plays, and limiting the Bills passing attack. Also on the last drive the Bills had poor clock management and wasted time they could have used to run a few more plays to get closer for Scott so he didnt have to kick a 47 yarder.

2.Buffalos defense. Buffalos defense who had come up with big plays all year failed to get off the field when it counted. They allowed long drives and big plays on 3rd and long to keep Giants drives alive and the Bills O off the field. Most notable is when the Giants had a 3rd and 14 and Baker (I think) caught a ball about 6 yards short, and broke tackles and got the first down. That drive was the last drive in the 1st half and enabled the Giants to score.

1. The pressure of kicking a game winning kick in the SB. Scott Norwood was a horrible grass kicker, and to add to that, his average was below 50% from 40 yards and out. To be fair, the league avg. was around 50 % from 40 and out that year. And it was just flat out a pressure filled kick.

Scott now does realistate in northern Virginia. That day still haunts me, but I dont blame the poor guy.

tat2dmike77
02-09-2006, 01:50 PM
This has been posted about a million times

FlyingDutchman
02-09-2006, 02:06 PM
it has? when and where? has the espn video been aired before? Sorry to bore you.

FlyingDutchman
02-09-2006, 02:25 PM
a million times in the 2 months youve been on this site?

Iehoshua
02-09-2006, 03:14 PM
a million times in the 2 months youve been on this site?:rofl:

patmoran2006
02-09-2006, 03:57 PM
For The Love Of God, Let Norwood Go • - FOX Sports (http://blogs.foxsports.com/patmoran2006/2006/02/04/NGS_Finals_For_The_Love_Of_God_Let_Norwood_Go)

dplus47
02-09-2006, 06:17 PM
that was a good show. i hate when one player gets all the blame for something. the show alluded to the blowout in the AFC championship game. i personally see that one as huge: they had just beaten oakland 51-3 and went into the game more than a little high on themselves. the giants did a good job keeping the ball out of the hands of that high-powered offense.