PDA

View Full Version : Bills draft is shaping up already.

patmoran2006
02-09-2006, 04:14 PM
This year's draft is already shaping up as being obvious up front, regardless if there are trades or not...

If you're a Buffalo fan, unless you move into the top five you can say goodbye to Bush, Leinhart, YOung, Brick and Mario Williams.

That leaves two picks ahead of us.. And these players left.
BEST: AJ Hawk, Michael Huff, Vernon Davis
Intriguing/ Boom or Bust: Ngata
Reach: Winston Justice
Why?: Jimmy Williams

Hawk as interesting as he'd be. I can't see him coming here, even if he did slide down. Not with the BIlls giving all that money to Crowell, and they sure as hell aint giving up on Spikes getting healthy yet.

Huff is only a possibility IF we let Nate go. I"m very mad at the way Nate played this year, but he's still among the better corners.. and to let him go only to replace him with a talented rookie is not going to make us any better. all reports are Huff will enter the draft as a CB but could move to safety.

Ngata, for some reason I am worried about him. I could be wrong, but I see him as being someone better than a Ron Edwards but not as good as a (motivated) Sam Adams. I"d rather address this spot with a PROVEN run stuffer in FA.

Jimmy Wiliams? See Huff. If I have holes to fill why use your high first round pick to replace a player you let walk.

Winston Justice by all reports is not worthy of a top ten pick.. If we really want him, we can trade down to mid first round and still get him.

FOr me personally, I hope we draft Vernon Davis. If this guy is that faster Shannon Sharpe they refer him to, he can change the entire offense.. IF Jp is the QB it's a great weapon over the middle and will free up a lot of room for Evans (if he learns how to run a route).. If it's Kelly Holcomb, the way he likes the three yard pass Davis might have 100 catches by week 5.

For the rest of the draft.. Early second round I think we can get a starting guard. and with the two thirds, you can add solid depth in the secondary..

SO if Buffalo can add via FREE AGENCY a good starting TACKLE, DT and DE and restrucure Moulds, this team could get better a lot sooner than people think. And don't say we dont have the cap room to do it, because we will.

Bmax
02-09-2006, 04:26 PM
I repeat the bills will not draft a te in rd 1.........THE COMBINE WILL BE HELD IN TWO WEEKS .. LET'S WAIT AT LEAST TILL THEN BEFORE .. WE BURY NGATA.

My bet is the guy will wow scouts...If anything someone will shoot up boards . Watch out for the Penn st De....Tamba Hali.....

I'll wait to the combine before i specualte anymore on who we are going to draft. The combine will give us a better look on where players are ranked.

Bmax

Saratoga Slim
02-09-2006, 04:36 PM
I repeat the bills will not draft a te in rd 1.........THE COMBINE WILL BE HELD IN TWO WEEKS .. LET'S WAIT AT LEAST TILL THEN BEFORE .. WE BURY NGATA.

My bet is the guy will wow scouts...If anything someone will shoot up boards . Watch out for the Penn st De....Tamba Hali.....

I'll wait to the combine before i specualte anymore on who we are going to draft. The combine will give us a better look on where players are ranked.

Bmax

yeah, as fun as it is too think about the draf we are missing a lot of the pieces on which draft decisions are going to be made. I'm done with the draft prediction business until the combine's over and we see how things go on the free agent market

Jan Reimers
02-09-2006, 05:08 PM
Huff is only a possibility IF we let Nate go. I"m very mad at the way Nate played this year, but he's still among the better corners.. and to let him go only to replace him with a talented rookie is not going to make us any better. all reports are Huff will enter the draft as a CB but could move to safety.

FOr me personally, I hope we draft Vernon Davis. If this guy is that faster Shannon Sharpe they refer him to, he can change the entire offense.. IF Jp is the QB it's a great weapon over the middle and will free up a lot of room for Evans (if he learns how to run a route).. If it's Kelly Holcomb, the way he likes the three yard pass Davis might have 100 catches by week 5.
I have only seen Huff projected/listed as a Safety. I wouldn't mind us taking him - but as a replacement for one of our aging Safeties.

As for Davis, we already have a potentially explosive TE in Kevin Everett. I don't see us drafting another TE with a pick that should be used to strengthen one of our lines.

I'm not sure we'll ever have enough cap room to fix all of our O and D line problems through free agency. Thus, as exciting as it is to think about another big time skill player in the first round, I think we need to bite the bullet and take the best stud O or D lineman available - and there should be a very good one at Number 8.

Bmax
02-09-2006, 05:44 PM
I LIKE GRIFFIN FROM TEXAS...AT CB. The bills are also checking out this guy at cb here's the link....

http://www.acu.edu/sports/football/player_bios/manning_d_bio.html

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=24&p=2&c=497853

Bmax

not in rd one but rd 2-4.. Right now he is a 3rd to 4th rd prospect

http://www.nflfans.com/x/2006/showprospect.php?key=Danieal%20Manning*

The Spaz
02-09-2006, 05:55 PM
I LIKE GRIFFIN FROM TEXAS...AT CB. The bills are also checking out this guy at cb here's the link....

http://www.acu.edu/sports/football/player_bios/manning_d_bio.html

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=24&p=2&c=497853

Bmax

not in rd one but rd 2-4.. Right now he is a 3rd to 4th rd prospect

http://www.nflfans.com/x/2006/showprospect.php?key=Danieal%20Manning*

I'll look him up. Danieal Manning

X-Era
02-09-2006, 06:03 PM

Bmax

Dude, nobodys burying, be we aint resurrecting either.

I just dont see him being worthy of the 8 pick, at least right now.

Your right though, lets see what the combine shows us.

Trade down to 15-20 and take Ngata? OK, no problem. At 8? its a reach right now.

Davis is a, once in 5 years to a decade type TE. The Bills could sorely use an underneath route if Moulds leaves and we start Losman. Even if Moulds is here, Shockey certainly paid dividends for Manning.

Lets ask you a question. If we DIDNT have Everett, who hasnt played a single NFL game and hasnt even come back from a serious injury by the way. If we DIDNT have him, would you like a guy who looks to be the next Gates like Davis?

Bmax
02-09-2006, 09:05 PM
It's simple run and stop the run.. Until we can do that .. I don't wanna even think about skill position players... Vernon davis is the kind of pick that i might consider if we signed some top notch guys in free agency. He certainly may be the best athlete in the draft. I just don't see us doing it....Maybe my mind will change but i doubt it.

Besides Marv Levy may not take the guy .... I think it's O-line or D-line all the way

Bmax

LifetimeBillsFan
02-10-2006, 11:01 AM
It's simple run and stop the run.. Until we can do that .. I don't wanna even think about skill position players... Vernon davis is the kind of pick that i might consider if we signed some top notch guys in free agency. He certainly may be the best athlete in the draft. I just don't see us doing it....Maybe my mind will change but i doubt it.

Besides Marv Levy may not take the guy .... I think it's O-line or D-line all the way

Bmax

I totally agree.

Assuming Mario Williams and Brick are gone, Huff is a possibility, but there are other safeties who are likely to be available in the 3rd round who don't represent as big a drop-off from Huff as there is at the DT and DE positions after the 1st and early 2nd rounds. I also agree that the money the Bills already have tied up at LB will probably preclude them from going with Hawk.

Ngata won't be there at 15--Cleveland will not let him get past them. The lowest I've seen Ngata rated is 11th. Ngata potentially fills the Bills biggest need, the vast hole in the middle of their defensive line that teams were ablet o run through at will this season--and that can't be ignored. The question is whether the Bills will feel that he fits their new defensive scheme and if they can get someone they feel will be better in free agency because the drop-off from Ngata to Bunkley and then to Watson and Rod Wright (I'm not even considering the recently arrested Wroten) is pretty steep.

If they don't go with Ngata, don't be surprised if the Bills go with Tamba Hali out of Penn State. He just seems to be getting better and better. While he's not a physical freak like Mario Williams or Davis, he's a fast speed rusher who could cause major problems on the outside opposite Schobel. There are a couple of other DEs in this draft who could also fill the bill--like Kiwi, Lawson, etc.--but Hali has been the most consistent. The Bills' new defensive scheme requires a defensive line that can pressure the QB and M.Levy knows how valuable a pass rushing DE can be, which leads me to believe that Hali is going to be someone they will take a long look at if Mario Williams and D'Brick are gone.

IMHO Davis is a real long-shot. You have to be able to protect your QB before the TE becomes a factor in the passing game and the Bills have no idea just how much of a factor the guys they already have can be because they have not been able to protect their QB with their offensive line in recent years. They have too many other immediate needs to take a chance on Davis at this stage--they've got to fix the defense to insure that they can stop the run and they have to revamp the offensive line to insure that they can protect their QBs and open some holes for Willis to run through and it's not likely that they will be able to accomplish all of that in free agency, they need to get some help out of this draft.