PDA

View Full Version : Things should get very interesting soon.

ICE74129
02-09-2006, 08:22 PM
The date to designate Franchise players is less than 2 weeks away so a decision must be made on Clements in less than two weeks.

Free agency starts March 2nd which is exactly 2 weeks away and the combine is very soon also.

I think a decision on Mike Williams, Eric Moulds, and a couple other vets will have to be done before then to free up enough room for Free agency and to franchise Clements.

I personally hope we let clements agent seek trades. The Cover two doesn't need a CB of his aledged greatness to be really effective. Therefore no reason to pay him the big bucks. Trade him and get us some help via another first round pick.

I think Mike Williams is cut. I feel moulds will be talked to by DJ, Marv and Ralph. If he won't support JP fully and do his job I think he is gone. Marv and DJ wouldn't have put up with that BS this year.

I think DT, LG and Center will be addressed Via FA. Depending on Moulds WR as well. That leaves us to take the BPA in the draft with #8 and I think that will be a DE or Hawk. Use the 2nd first on one of the 3 TE's that they think can be impact TE's.

Dr. Lecter
02-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Preston will be either center or LG next year, so that won't need to be addressed.

Clements franchise tag is low enough to tag him and keep him.

As for the 1st pick, while I am not as admant as pintonick, I don't think Hawk would be a good choice. Brick, Williams, Ngata, or even Huff would be good. If a trade down is possible, a guy like Justice, McNeill or Winston would be good.

FlyingDutchman
02-09-2006, 09:53 PM
I wouldnt say Clements is quite low enough to the point where we have to tag him. If we tag him, it will limit us greatly in the money we will be able to use to get free agents that would help other need areas

Marvelous
02-09-2006, 10:31 PM
Great post Ice..!!!! I love the idea of BPA.. NOw i'm not as sold on Ngata as many Bills fans are.. I was always uinder the impresion teh NT is something you can get with any day 1 pick and coach him well and he develops.. BUT then again, John Henderson and Casey Hampton types are beast... That's because their disruptors. We don't need a disruptor, we need a stuffer. Sam Adams & Ron Edwards are disruptor types and as great as that is, i prefer the PIgPat,Ted Washington stuffers because it free's up teh LB's etc.....

-I really want Moulds to finish with us.. He is worth alot more then vet minimum. FACT! And he's my favorite player.. He is better then Jimmy Smith & Rod Smith but lacks teh QB.. The thought of him with us for 4 more seasons is awesome...

-I really wanna resign Ryan Denney.. Aiken too if he's UFA.. Ron Edwards can walk because he has the health of Jonnas Jennings!

We need better depth @ QB. It makes -0- sense to not spend the money for a QB or a 3rd rounder on a QB,,Better be prepared then JP get hurt and Holcomb starts sucking!!!!!!
Great post ICE :)p

vicmantak
02-10-2006, 12:00 AM
-I really wanna resign Ryan Denney.. Aiken too if he's UFA.. Ron Edwards can walk because he has the health of Jonnas Jennings!
Ryan Denney, DE, Buffalo: The perfect example of a player who gets more out of his talent than others. Denney is an average athlete, but extremely tough and aggressive. Doesnt get to the quarterback very often, but is very effective against the run. Will likely remain in Buffalo, but might fit well opposite an elite pass rusher elsewhere.
http://wc1.worldcrossing.com/WebX?7@@.ef0a51e/2341

Jan Reimers
02-10-2006, 06:45 AM
Preston will be either center or LG next year, so that won't need to be addressed.

Clements franchise tag is low enough to tag him and keep him.

As for the 1st pick, while I am not as admant as pintonick, I don't think Hawk would be a good choice. Brick, Williams, Ngata, or even Huff would be good. If a trade down is possible, a guy like Justice, McNeill or Winston would be good.
Good post, Dr. L. Sometimes, as with Preston, you have young guys ready to start on your own roster, which precludes the need to add a free agent or draft pick.

I think Kevin Everett is also in this category, which means we don't have to use a high pick on a TE. I also believe Parrish will be more of a factor this season, and players like King, Leonhard and Ezekiel will continue to develop.

We should concentrate on the O and D Lines, with some emphasis on Safety - where we have 2 declining veterans - LB (where Posey is just adequate), and perhaps WR, where we will need a number 1 guy to replace Moulds, be it this year or next.

ICE74129
02-10-2006, 06:47 AM
Good post, Dr. L. Sometimes, as with Preston, you have young guys ready to start on your own roster, which precludes the need to add a free agent or draft pick.

I think Kevin Everett is also in this category, which means we don't have to use a high pick on a TE. I also believe Parrish will be more of a factor this season, and players like King, Leonhard and Ezekiel will continue to develop.

We should concentrate on the O and D Lines, with some emphasis on Safety - where we have 2 declining veterans - LB (where Posey is just adequate), and perhaps WR, where we will need a number 1 guy to replace Moulds, be it this year or next.

I think Kevin Everett is going to be another TD Bust. The guy can't make it through the post draft mini camp without tearing an ACL? Injury prone is what that shows me. I like guys like L White from USC or Davin Joseph from OU that have done well over a college CAREER. Not a 1 year wonder like Everett and Willis.

Dr. Lecter
02-10-2006, 07:21 AM
I think Kevin Everett is going to be another TD Bust. The guy can't make it through the post draft mini camp without tearing an ACL? Injury prone is what that shows me. I like guys like L White from USC or Davin Joseph from OU that have done well over a college CAREER. Not a 1 year wonder like Everett and Willis.

How does one injury make somebody injury prone?

casdhf
02-10-2006, 07:25 AM
Didn't Denney sign an extension a little while ago?

gr8slayer
02-10-2006, 07:27 AM
Didn't Denney sign an extension a little while ago?
I think so.

ICE74129
02-10-2006, 09:19 AM
How does one injury make somebody injury prone?

Let see, gets drafted, does a walkthough and tears an ACL. Now I don't know, but if you can be jogging around and tear one, that doesn't bode well for full contact now does it?

LifetimeBillsFan
02-10-2006, 09:56 AM
... If a trade down is possible, a guy like Justice, McNeill or Winston would be good.

Have you seen McNeill or Winston play lately? Both have been destroyed going up against better college-level competition! McNeill was so bad at the Senior Bowl that they tried moving him to RT to see if they could get anything out of him--he has bust written all over him! Winston is more of a battler than McNeill, but showed that he really hasn't recovered his former quickness after his injury--he was very inconsistent and struggled against speed rushers both in in bowl game and at the Senior Bowl. I would take Jonathan Scott of Texas or Darryn Colledge of Boise State, who is projected to go in the top of the 2nd round, over either McNeill or Winston.

Justice is a good RT, but I don't want the Bills to take him after seeing what happened with Mike Williams. Just because a guy is good on the right side, it doesn't mean that he will be able to make the switch to the left side--as evidenced by Williams. There are plenty of decent left tackles in this draft, if the Bills want to go that route, that they do not have to run the risk of taking a player that they do not know can make the transition to the left side. While I don't agree with Mel Kiper's assessment that there is only one true first round talent in this draft at offensive tackle--D'Brickashaw Ferguson--I do agree that there are several tackles who will go in the late 1st and 2nd round that, in five years, people are going to wonder why they went so low.

I have said all along that my ideal scenario would be for the Bills to trade down to pick up additional draft picks, but with Denver being the only team with two # 1s in this draft, I doubt that there is any way that the Bills will be able to get enough for their pick at # 8 in this draft to merit moving down. If the Bills move down out of the top 10 in this draft, the only way they will be able to get value for doing that is if they take a future pick and that won't help them this year. (Unless Denver goes nuts and swaps its 2 picks to get a shot at Mario Williams or the TE from Maryland, Davis, which I doubt that they will be able to do if they are interested in making a move for TO).

ICE74129
02-10-2006, 10:12 AM
Have you seen McNeill or Winston play lately? Both have been destroyed going up against better college-level competition! McNeill was so bad at the Senior Bowl that they tried moving him to RT to see if they could get anything out of him--he has bust written all over him! Winston is more of a battler than McNeill, but showed that he really hasn't recovered his former quickness after his injury--he was very inconsistent and struggled against speed rushers both in in bowl game and at the Senior Bowl. I would take Jonathan Scott of Texas or Darryn Colledge of Boise State, who is projected to go in the top of the 2nd round, over either McNeill or Winston.

Justice is a good RT, but I don't want the Bills to take him after seeing what happened with Mike Williams. Just because a guy is good on the right side, it doesn't mean that he will be able to make the switch to the left side--as evidenced by Williams. There are plenty of decent left tackles in this draft, if the Bills want to go that route, that they do not have to run the risk of taking a player that they do not know can make the transition to the left side. While I don't agree with Mel Kiper's assessment that there is only one true first round talent in this draft at offensive tackle--D'Brickashaw Ferguson--I do agree that there are several tackles who will go in the late 1st and 2nd round that, in five years, people are going to wonder why they went so low.

I have said all along that my ideal scenario would be for the Bills to trade down to pick up additional draft picks, but with Denver being the only team with two # 1s in this draft, I doubt that there is any way that the Bills will be able to get enough for their pick at # 8 in this draft to merit moving down. If the Bills move down out of the top 10 in this draft, the only way they will be able to get value for doing that is if they take a future pick and that won't help them this year. (Unless Denver goes nuts and swaps its 2 picks to get a shot at Mario Williams or the TE from Maryland, Davis, which I doubt that they will be able to do if they are interested in making a move for TO).

I will say right now that Jonathan Scott of Texas or Darryn Colledge of Boise State will be 5 mill per year guys within 3-4 years. Stay at #8 in the 2nd and take one of them and I think we will be fine. Let them work this year behind Gandy getting some reps and be ready to take over in 07.

Offer denver the #8 and Moulds for both of thier first round picks. Then trade clements for another one and fill out this roster with QUALITY Talent.

Michael82
02-10-2006, 10:21 AM
Don't forget...we still need a QB coach, TE coach, LB coach and some extra assistants. :D

LifetimeBillsFan
02-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Don't forget...we still need a QB coach, TE coach, LB coach and some extra assistants. :D

Good point, Mikey! That would certainly help, wouldn't it!

tat2dmike77
02-10-2006, 11:18 AM
Let see, gets drafted, does a walkthough and tears an ACL. Now I don't know, but if you can be jogging around and tear one, that doesn't bode well for full contact now does it?

Dude you can hurt yourself anytime. Maybe it was the crappy miami training staff down there in college. Cause i also remember parish getting hurt to. Lets see thier both from miami. Now if evertt gets hurt again this year then i would say he is injury prone. But i just find it funny that both of draft picks from the same school got hurt last year. Maybe miami needs to do something with thier trainors

Marvelous
02-24-2006, 02:07 AM
Great post Ice..!!!! I love the idea of BPA.. NOw i'm not as sold on Ngata as many Bills fans are.. I was always uinder the impresion teh NT is something you can get with any day 1 pick and coach him well and he develops.. BUT then again, John Henderson and Casey Hampton types are beast... That's because their disruptors. We don't need a disruptor, we need a stuffer. Sam Adams & Ron Edwards are disruptor types and as great as that is, i prefer the PIgPat,Ted Washington stuffers because it free's up teh LB's etc.....

-I really want Moulds to finish with us.. He is worth alot more then vet minimum. FACT! And he's my favorite player.. He is better then Jimmy Smith & Rod Smith but lacks teh QB.. The thought of him with us for 4 more seasons is awesome...

We need better depth @ QB. It makes -0- sense to not spend the money for a QB or a 3rd rounder on a QB,,Better be prepared then JP get hurt and Holcomb starts sucking!!!!!!
Great post ICE :)p

Holy crap! Why was i negged so bad for this post?

Ice, your a funny dude man. :D

LifetimeBillsFan
02-24-2006, 03:46 AM
I will say right now that Jonathan Scott of Texas or Darryn Colledge of Boise State will be 5 mill per year guys within 3-4 years. Stay at #8 in the 2nd and take one of them and I think we will be fine. Let them work this year behind Gandy getting some reps and be ready to take over in 07.

Offer denver the #8 and Moulds for both of thier first round picks. Then trade clements for another one and fill out this roster with QUALITY Talent.

I absolutely agree with you about Scott and Colledge, ICE. Knowing that this would be a deep draft at LT and that the Bills might need one if Gandy didn't play well, I paid a lot of attention to LTs this year when watching college games this past season and the two guys that jumped out at me were Scott and Colledge.

Based on the way that Scott played against USC and in the Senior Bowl, I really doubt that he will make it out of the 1st Round, though. So, I can't see the Bills taking him unless they trade down to the bottom of the round for some reason. If he's there when the Bills pick in the second round, I'd be shocked.

Last year Colledge was a guy who was being compared favorably to Logan Mankins, who went on to start at guard for NE this season. Colledge played at least as well, if not better, this past season and has the advantage of having the size and quickness to stay at LT rather than being more suited to guard, like Mankins. Colledge. additionally, separated himself, in my mind at least, from some of the other OTs in this draft with his performance in the Senior Bowl. He was so much better than McNeill it wasn't funny. McNeill looks good--he's physically imposing--but his technique is awful and a lot of time he looks lost when trying to make a block on the second level. Just standing around, Colledge doesn't look nearly as good and, when he's playing, he's not smooth and looks really awkward, but he finds a way to get in front of his man and stick with him when he's pass-blocking and hustles to make blocks on the second level consistently. There were a couple of plays in the Senior Bowl where he actually ended up hitting three different defenders (on one play, the RB fumbled because he didn't anticipate Colledge coming off the LB on the second level and hitting the safety and the RB dropped the ball because he didn't have it tucked away when he tripped over the legs of Colledge and the safety that the RB was trying to juke). That showed me that he is a guy who has a lot of heart and desire and is likely to work hard to improve his techniques and overcome whatever physical limitations he may have. I thought Colledge had potential when I saw him play against lesser talent in some of Boise State's games, but was really truly impressed by how he did at the Senior Bowl against really good players at that level.

If the Bills can't get Ferguson at the top of the first round and go defense first but would like to take a OT with their second pick, I would love to see them take Colledge if, as I anticipate, Scott is not on the board at the top of the second round. They may not be as ready to step right in and start on the NFL level as Ferguson is, but I also think that Scott and Colledge are going to be big time stars at OT in five years.