PDA

View Full Version : "Small Possibility" of Free Agency Delay

Michael82
02-10-2006, 10:25 AM
I know it's only Pro Football Talk, but still I thought this was interesting....

Word is that a series of meetings between representatives of the NFL and the NFLPA has created progress toward an agreement on a new Collective Bargaining Agreement. We're told that these talks have given rise to a "small possibility" that the free agency signing period will be delayed this year from March 3 until early April.

The mere talk of bumping back the opening of free agency confirms that the recent efforts to iron out the issues between management and labor are aimed at getting a new deal in place before the annual shopping spree commences. As it now stands, signing boni can be spread over only four years, and any incentives earned in 2006 automatically count against the salary cap in 2006. This will make it harder for teams to add new players and, in turn, less lucrative for the players.

A new deal also would undoubtedly increase the salary cap for 2006, giving teams more money to spend on their rosters. This is good news for teams like the Redskins and Jets, who reportedly are facing some tough salary-trimming decisions under the current '06 cap.

But even if the free agency period is pushed back by a month, there still will be some intrigue come March. For example, Terrell Owens' contract must be terminated by the Eagles on or before March 5. So if the free agency launch is bumped to April and no new CBA is in place before Owens is released, he'll have to decide whether to take any offers that might be on the table under the current CBA -- or whether to wait until a new deal is in place.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

ICE74129
02-10-2006, 10:48 AM
That would Fugging suck.

ICE74129
02-10-2006, 10:53 AM
The other thing is it screws teams. Normally they have about a month and a 1/2 in free agency to do something with their rosters before the draft. now it will be 2-3 weeks max.

The best idea is to cut the crap and leave it alone. Get thier SH@! together BEFORE march 2nd.

LifetimeBillsFan
02-10-2006, 11:18 AM
That was also mentioned in an article about the problems with the labor negotiations in the NY Sun, http://www.nysun.com/article/27332 (unfortunately, the online version is for subscribers only and they only keep stories available for free for 24 hours, which is why I didn't post it before).

Now that the Super Bowl is out of the way and the deadline is quickly approaching for the owners and players to get a new CBA done, maybe there will be some movement to avert the kinds of problems that will arise if they done arrive at a settlement. The gist of the article in the Sun was that there is too much money at stake for the owners not to arrive at some solution that will keep a modified form of revenue sharing in place, but that it is likely to come down to the 11th hour before they arrive at an agreement.

Michael82
02-10-2006, 11:44 AM
The other thing is it screws teams. Normally they have about a month and a 1/2 in free agency to do something with their rosters before the draft. now it will be 2-3 weeks max.

The best idea is to cut the crap and leave it alone. Get thier SH@! together BEFORE march 2nd.
I agree. They better cut the crap and come to an agreement fast, so that FA and the draft can happen on time and with no problems. :pray:

EricStratton
02-10-2006, 12:13 PM
If it takes pushing it back a few weeks and messing with teams this off-season to get an agreement that prevents a lockout/strike next year I say push the thing back.

Michael82
02-10-2006, 12:43 PM
If it takes pushing it back a few weeks and messing with teams this off-season to get an agreement that prevents a lockout/strike next year I say push the thing back.
True. Either way...they gotta get this done. Once we see an uncapped year, they will never be able to go back to the hard cap they got now. :ill:

ICE74129
02-10-2006, 12:53 PM

Well sure. Fugg everything up in a rebuilding year for the Bills. Pick the year we have important decisions to make, a New GM and the #8 pick.

I have a better idea. How about the players union and owners quit screwing the hell around? And get it done on time. What a friggin concept.

EricStratton
02-10-2006, 12:56 PM
True. Either way...they gotta get this done. Once we see an uncapped year, they will never be able to go back to the hard cap they got now. :ill:

That's why it's important that something gets done right Mikey. If there is ever an uncapped year it will kill teams like the Bills.

clumping platelets
02-10-2006, 12:59 PM

:goodpost:

Jan Reimers
02-10-2006, 01:00 PM
I know that it's linguistically correct, but I don't believe I have ever seen the word bonus pluralized as boni. The writer must be a semi-nerd or a Latin major.

ICE74129
02-10-2006, 01:14 PM
That's why it's important that something gets done right Mikey. If there is ever an uncapped year it will kill teams like the Bills.

Oh bull crap. It means cheap ralph has to cut the crap and actually pay for talent. I am sick of hearing how small town teams have such a hard time. Charge about what the others do and the bills will still sell out. The NFL sharing is the same among all 32 teams.

Look they need to quit screwing the hell around and just put the crap on paper and be done with it.

ICE74129
02-10-2006, 01:16 PM
Oh bull crap. It means cheap ralph has to cut the crap and actually pay for talent. I am sick of hearing how small town teams have such a hard time. Charge about what the others do and the bills will still sell out. The NFL sharing is the same among all 32 teams.

Look they need to quit screwing the hell around and just put the crap on paper and be done with it.

And let me add, if ralph can't afford the team, sell it to someone who can. The Bills are one of the most profitable franchises in the NFL (15th or 16th) so how can that be being is such a 'small market'?

tat2dmike77
02-10-2006, 01:20 PM
And let me add, if ralph can't afford the team, sell it to someone who can. The Bills are one of the most profitable franchises in the NFL (15th or 16th) so how can that be being is such a 'small market'?

Because ESPN does not get down on thier knees and lick buffalos nuts like they do with teams from NYC Wash and other large citites

dolphinssuck
02-10-2006, 01:20 PM
I really think they need to be careful here because as already stated teams its gonna hurt some teams and the Bills are certainly one of them. If you give the bigger market teams a uncapped season then they will pretty much throw as much money as possible to attract players away from teams who are looking in the other direction. Plus this will benefit greedy players such as the TOs of the NFL and alot more will come out of the wood works if this happens,

Typ0
02-10-2006, 01:22 PM

net profit = net income - total expenses. You do the math...keeping expenses down increases profit percentages no matter how much the total value of the profit is. Where do you get your information?

Typ0
02-10-2006, 01:24 PM

it would be very difficult to sell a team that doesn't look good on paper....considering his age do you think RW knows this and doesn't want to sell out the franchise for one or two good seasons in fear he would croak and the team would be in the red and get scooped up and move? This might be a case of an ass looking a gift horse in the mouth!