PDA

View Full Version : Tamba Hali vs. Mario Williams... what do you think?

ublinkwescore
02-11-2006, 09:43 PM
Would you have a problem with us taking the Dwight Freeney of this draft (Tamba Hali) at #8 if the Julius Peppers of this draft (Mario Williams) is gone?

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
02-11-2006, 10:01 PM
I want Tamba Hali!!! as a car dealer commercial goes here (Fucillo) in Buffalo he's HUGE!
http://www.cumberlink.com/PSUfootball/04/preseason/Hali_bw_game.jpg

TigerJ
02-11-2006, 10:10 PM
I've never actually watched Hali play so I can't fairly judge his play on the field. He clearly does not have Freeney's measurables though. Freeney runs a sub 4.5 40. This gives him the ability to get past a lot of left tackles on his speed alone. He can go wider than a lot of ends and still get to the QB. Hali runs about a4.7 which is very good for an end, but it's not freakish like Freeney. Since Hali, like Freeney, is a litlle undersized, he's going to have to rely on superior technique and tenacity to get to the QB.

mysticsoto
02-11-2006, 10:23 PM
I don't like Hali. He's short, slow and doesn't have alot of space to get bigger. He also has short hands and not alot of moves. He may have been "decently fast" for college level, but in the pros, he will be considered very slow...

ParanoidAndroid
02-11-2006, 11:12 PM
Hali will succeed at whatever level he is placed in. He's that type of guy. He is fairly new to the game and understands it better than most. He can be outrun by the fater QB's, but he's not slow. If you have speed and recognition you can go far. He has both along with a no quit attitude. He'll chase a QB into the stands if he has to. Talent and heart...that's what you look for. I saw that in Lofa Tatupu last year and was hoping the Bills would grab him. Seattle made a nice pick.
Another guy who looks good is Daryl Tapp. He'll make a solid SSLB who can come up and rush the QB. He looks like he always has something to prove.
Every athelete in the NFL has talent. At this level, it becomes a mental game. You either have the intellect and/or attitude to succeed or you don't.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
02-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Hali will succeed at whatever level he is placed in. He's that type of guy. He is fairly new to the game and understands it better than most. He can be outrun by the fater QB's, but he's not slow. If you have speed and recognition you can go far. He has both along with a no quit attitude. He'll chase a QB into the stands if he has to. Talent and heart...that's what you look for. I saw that in Lofa Tatupu last year and was hoping the Bills would grab him. Seattle made a nice pick.

:posrep:

patmoran2006
02-12-2006, 12:02 AM
I like Williams enough that I'd trade my first and second to move up four spots with the Jets to take him.. for three reasons

1) I would address the offensive line via free agency...
2) Williams is THAT good. You could be looking at the next Bruce Smith.
3) Nate could get tagged and traded.. While I dont think a team will give up a first for him, I know a few teams (Giants, Cinci) would give up a second rounder in a minute for him.. Then if we gave up a 1 and 2 to move up, we'd still have a second rounder, albiet lower.

That being said.. If buffalo was unable to make any trade to move up.. I"d take Hali and not be bitter over it..

Devin
02-12-2006, 12:27 AM
I like Williams enough that I'd trade my first and second to move up four spots with the Jets to take him.. for three reasons

1) I would address the offensive line via free agency...
2) Williams is THAT good. You could be looking at the next Bruce Smith.
3) Nate could get tagged and traded.. While I dont think a team will give up a first for him, I know a few teams (Giants, Cinci) would give up a second rounder in a minute for him.. Then if we gave up a 1 and 2 to move up, we'd still have a second rounder, albiet lower.

That being said.. If buffalo was unable to make any trade to move up.. I"d take Hali and not be bitter over it..

Agreed.

Williams is the prize. I think DL is our priority in this years 1st round. OL are in abundance in both FA and the draft. An upgrade at DE or DT and the switch to cover 2 will allow us to be successful with almost any CB at the pro level.

However if WIlliams is gone Hali would be my pick followed by Ngata.

HAMMER
02-12-2006, 12:48 AM
If Williams is the next Bruce then I'm all in, 1st, 2nd.

dolphinssuck
02-12-2006, 07:20 AM
Id take Williams anyday and be happy. I as well believe he could be the next Bruce Smith and we should try and grab him up.

Jan Reimers
02-12-2006, 07:52 AM
I think we need a stud DT much more than a DE. I would be disappointed with Hali, particularly, because based on his college career, he appears NOT to be the next Dwight Freeney.

The Spaz
02-12-2006, 09:01 AM
I agree with JAn as much as I think Williams is the "real deal" Our Bigger problems are in the middle of the line. Howeer if we pick up a Pickett, Lewis etc. in free agency then I will be fine with it.

justasportsfan
02-12-2006, 10:37 AM
As long as he's not another Eric Flowers or Wiley. I want a disruptive De who makes the qb worry about him on every snap.

EDS
02-13-2006, 08:58 AM
I want Tamba Hali!!! as a car dealer commercial goes here (Fucillo) in Buffalo he's HUGE!
http://www.cumberlink.com/PSUfootball/04/preseason/Hali_bw_game.jpg

Dude those commercials are terrible.

tampabay25690
02-13-2006, 09:20 AM
Agreed.

Williams is the prize. I think DL is our priority in this years 1st round. OL are in abundance in both FA and the draft. An upgrade at DE or DT and the switch to cover 2 will allow us to be successful with almost any CB at the pro level.

However if WIlliams is gone Hali would be my pick followed by Ngata.

Devin I like your thinking..........1st priority in the draft is a DE and Williams is definitely the prize followed by Hali, this would be a great pass rush from both sides of our D LINE......DT, and OL I think we can get in FA and get 3 starters no problem......How hard is it to find a better O Lineman better then our left side of our line.......After that I would love to see the Bills go after a very active TE in the 2nd round to go with EVerett then our future at TE looks very good for many years to come......Then we should work on CB, and our aging safeties.....LATER

tampabay25690
02-13-2006, 09:22 AM
I think we need a stud DT much more than a DE. I would be disappointed with Hali, particularly, because based on his college career, he appears NOT to be the next Dwight Freeney.

I just hope the Bills don't draft Ngata from Oregon I watched him 2 times this year and he didn't impress me that much.......FA will be the place to get our DT....

ublinkwescore
02-13-2006, 12:12 PM
Let's throw Manny Lawson into the mix...

if both are gone, would you mind seeing this team trade down like 4 or 5 spots to grab Lawson?

mysticsoto
02-13-2006, 12:40 PM
Let's throw Manny Lawson into the mix...

if both are gone, would you mind seeing this team trade down like 4 or 5 spots to grab Lawson?

I think it's going to be hard for us to trade down. The only way we will be able to is if someone falls out of the "elite" that we don't need. Think of it this way, if Mario Williams or Brick fall to us, we are probably going to grab them. We would probably even grab Bush in the unlikely event that he fell to us. Only if Hawk or one of the top 2 QBs fell to us, would we probably have enough trade bait to be able to move down. Otherwise, nobody is worth that high a pick.

As to Lawson...Lawson looks good, but he's only 245 lbs. He's a big linebacker with speed. He will fit better in a 3-4. Remember what happened when we drafted Erik Flowers. He was too light at the weight that he felt comfortable and fast with, and too slow at weight he needed to be to handle DE duties. Lawson would not fit well with us, despite being an interesting candidate. I just hope the Patriots don't get him.

ublinkwescore
02-13-2006, 01:04 PM
I thought Lawson was a DE?

TigerJ
02-13-2006, 01:09 PM
He played DE in college. He wouldn't be the first undersized college end to switch to LB in the pros. He's got the speed and athleticism for LB. He might make a dominating OLB in a 3-4 scheme.

Saratoga Slim
02-13-2006, 01:40 PM
He played DE in college. He wouldn't be the first undersized college end to switch to LB in the pros. He's got the speed and athleticism for LB. He might make a dominating OLB in a 3-4 scheme.

my thoughts exactly. I don't feel good taking Lawson as a DE in our 4-3