PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Bills: Plan for Prosperity

patmoran2006
02-11-2006, 11:29 PM
Buffalo Bills: The Plan For Prosperity • FOX Sports Blog (http://blogs.foxsports.com/patmoran2006/2006/02/11/Buffalo_Bills_The_Plan_For_Prosperity)

Totally revised and updated from an article a few weeks ago.

What do you think?

vicmantak
02-12-2006, 03:31 AM
Hi Pat,

It's really great to know that the quality of BillsZone members are nationally recognized. This plan arguably deserves top priority and I think the following points would be interesting:

1. Jeff Backus: As you, I consider Backus the top priority this off-season but not only because he is an unquestionable upgrade at LT. He is simply Hutchinson's best friend and if Bills consider both in the same "set", I guarantee, Bills will pave the most amazing and solid way to sign both of them. From any point of view, Bills are a semi-mobile right-handed offense and there's no question that the blind side might be the top priority on Marv's era.
As you mentioned before, $2.5~3 million/year for an unquestionable upgrade is worth this money and even Gandy and Peters did a respectable role this season, the LEFT SIDE should be considered the top priority to make things run.
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/257583_hutchinsonq30ww.html

In other words, Hutchinson will create big holes to establish the running game and Backus will create priceless seconds to make any QB better. This massive movement would also allow Peters and Gandy look like a great RT with a great and versatile depth.

On the other side of the ball, if both of them are signed; I seriously wonder what kind of magic could happen in this OL if Villarial would be able to snap the ball. He is one of the strongest linemen and this switch would allow a significant confortable space for the next QB starter and it also by itself, would bring Marv Levy more cap flexibility and sign a pure pass blocking G.

2. Ma'ake Kemoeatu: Sam Adams' style and London Fletcher's nature really need "somone" to push the line and it seems that Kemoeatu will not only be a cheaper option than Jackson or Bernand. His 335 pound frame and average quickness is simply and exactly what we need to stop the run. He should be considered the #2 priority.

3. Tamba Hali: His intelligence, skills, aggresiveness and mainly his royal background makes him really attractive but IMO Kelsay and Denney are really underrated and unappreciated. Together, they are really cheap and decent from a cost-performance point of view, and IMHO we'd better focus on Adams departure if we really want to establish a long-term respectable defense. I don't know, but I hope Ngata will be the next guy to step in.

4. Marcedes Lewis: With Everett's uncertain and Campbell's friendly cut-contract makes TE's as one of the top priorities this off-season. From my eyes Lewis is arguably an upgrade over Everett or even Euhus and someone who can block and open the middle would really help any starting QB...

ICE74129
02-12-2006, 07:36 AM
Outstanding friggin article! As for as Kelsay and Denny are concerned....Denny needs to be gone. Both are BACKUPS period. They are the white boy with high motors that TD loved to pick. Have them blow out a major ligament and they would have been first rounders for TD.

both are backups, we need a dominate starter at LDE. At TE I agree with the lewis pick 100%. We need an implact TE. Everett had ONE good season at Miami. 'but ICE he was stuck behind so and so....' which means he isn't good enough to start here either.

ryjam282
02-12-2006, 09:17 AM
absolutely phenomenal article.

patmoran2006
02-12-2006, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the comments.

Even with a "new look" Bills, there would still be some issues. FOr me, it would be with the safeties.

Troy Vincent and Laywer Milloy seemed to age overnight. I can't honestly remember either making a big play over the last six games. AT the same time, you can't fix EVERYTHING at once, so you have to hope you get another good year out of them in a better defensive scheme.

ICE74129
02-12-2006, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the comments.

Even with a "new look" Bills, there would still be some issues. FOr me, it would be with the safeties.

Troy Vincent and Laywer Milloy seemed to age overnight. I can't honestly remember either making a big play over the last six games. AT the same time, you can't fix EVERYTHING at once, so you have to hope you get another good year out of them in a better defensive scheme.

True. But I don't see milloy being back so we should get a new SS. If we can generate more passrush, and the scheme help them, we can get by with Vincent this year.

Mahdi
02-12-2006, 11:35 AM
I agree with every move he mentionned except for Gandy. Im still not convinced that Backus would do that much better than Gandy. One of my favorite picks in that draft though is Cedric Griffin, I think he would actually have a shot at starting considering his athletic ability and playmaking, which is more of a premium in a cover 2 D than wiley veterans.

HHURRICANE
02-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Great Article!!! I wouldn't keep Jerman or Milloy. What happened to Lionel Gates?!! he looked great in preseason and I liked his size. Shaud Williams is a waste of a roster spot!!

patmoran2006
02-12-2006, 12:00 PM
I'm in the middle about Milloy. I see his best days are behind him. But do you think there's anyone out there more ready to step in and start that won't cost an arm and a leg?

To some extent, I'm ready to give every defender the benefit of the doubt regarding last year. No one except Fletcher had a really good year and Jerry Gray put that secondary in some very vunerable positions.

Bling
02-12-2006, 12:29 PM
Give me 2 seconds to quit laughing....

Ok. Let's start here: You make it seem like everyone is jumping on the Bills bandwagon. LeCharles Bentley, Kemoeatu, Bryant will all be looking at other teams before they consider the Bills. You used Buffalo being close to Ohio as a reason for him to pick the Bills? WTF? Why doesn't he just go to the Bengals? What about the Lions or Packers? Packers and Bengals are much more attractive spots than Buffalo. Kemoeatu is an up and coming guy. After being in that POS called Baltimore, he wants to go into another Franchise will little hope? Bryant MIGHT look at Buffalo, but then again, you have to offer him #1 money because he's proven so far that he's better than Lee Evans. DO you plan on giving him that money?

2nd, draft. You're quite the homer, huh? I could tell you like UMiami after basically saying Roscoe Parrish is GOOD, and McIntosh will be something. Hate to break it to you, but neither are anything special and McIntosh in the 2nd is a reach--just like Parrish was. Then you went on to say that Cedric Griffin is falling to the Bills. You should switch Griffin and McIntosh if you want both of them so bad.

patmoran2006
02-12-2006, 12:54 PM
Mr. Bling
I appreciate any feedback, whether positive or negative. Now, on to some of your points.

* With DeCharles Bentley, HE is the one who said he wanted to play in Ohio, not me. Buffalo being close to Ohio was merely a geographical statement.

* As far as Cinci and Green Bay... Do you think Cinci is going to pay big money for a center, when 90% of their weaknesses are on the OTHER side of the ball. Did you see the Buffalo game? Or the Pittsburgh game? Ty Law, Charles Woodson, Julian Peterson.. Those are guys Cinci would want, not a center, regardless of how good he is.

* In what way is Green Bay anymore attractive right now than Buffalo? Were they not 4-12 last year? Do they not have their own QB mess right now? Do they not have a first-time head coach right now? Do they know who their running back for next season is?

* In terms of Kemo, you consider Buffalo "a franchise with little hope?" Maybe you think that way, but with a more sound front office in place I doubt most players are thinking that way. When it comes to him, it will be about money. Buffalo's money is just as green as anyone elses.

* In what way has Antonio Bryant "proved he's better than Lee Evans?" Bryant in his FOURTH season, had his best year with 69-1006-4tds... Evans, who clearly had to play second fiddle to Eric Moulds his first two years, still had 96-1586 and 16 (yes 16) TD's in his first two seasons.. While Bryant may be on par with Evans, he has proven nothing except that he was the best receiever on a bad offensive team. Braylon Edwards will be back next year, Antonio isn't getting paid No. 1 money.

* Lastly, I have no problems with criticism on articles. People have the right to bash something as much as they do to enjoy. However, maybe you should READ the article before putting comments into print. You quote "Hate to break it to you, but neither are anything special and McIntosh in the 2nd is a reach--just like Parrish was."

Well, I didn't list McIntosh in the second round. I him going in the THIRD round at No. 70. Still a reach?

Drive 4 Five
02-12-2006, 12:55 PM

Ok. Let's start here: You make it seem like everyone is jumping on the Bills bandwagon. LeCharles Bentley, Kemoeatu, Bryant will all be looking at other teams before they consider the Bills. You used Buffalo being close to Ohio as a reason for him to pick the Bills? WTF? Why doesn't he just go to the Bengals? What about the Lions or Packers? Packers and Bengals are much more attractive spots than Buffalo. Kemoeatu is an up and coming guy. After being in that POS called Baltimore, he wants to go into another Franchise will little hope? Bryant MIGHT look at Buffalo, but then again, you have to offer him #1 money because he's proven so far that he's better than Lee Evans. DO you plan on giving him that money?

2nd, draft. You're quite the homer, huh? I could tell you like UMiami after basically saying Roscoe Parrish is GOOD, and McIntosh will be something. Hate to break it to you, but neither are anything special and McIntosh in the 2nd is a reach--just like Parrish was. Then you went on to say that Cedric Griffin is falling to the Bills. You should switch Griffin and McIntosh if you want both of them so bad.

Here we go. It was only a matter of time. Ok so the Dolphins had a good season. Nine wins seven losses is respectable but is no reason for you to be in here running your mouth about how Buffalo is the most unattractive place in the entire NFL to play. Where were you when the Phish were just 4-12 only two season ago? Your team goes 9-7 and now you're talking smack? Do us all a favor bub and take the trash talking elsewhere.

patmoran2006
02-12-2006, 12:57 PM
And you are right. All potential free agents will look at other teams. It's a business, of course they will.. NObody is sitting there saying to themselves right now. "Oh my God, I have to be a Buffalo Bill."

Unlike a lot of other teams, as outlined in the piece (which is the point to all of this--speculation), the BIlls may have MORE cap room MONEY that other teams do.

If you're DeCarles Bentley, are you going to Buffalo, who will pay you $3.5-4 million. Or are you going to Tampa Bay because it's warmer and they made the playoffs last year, for $2 million?

Drive 4 Five
02-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Pat I think it is a SOLID plan. I actually would prefer David Givens over Antonio Bryant. Wasn't Bryant the one who threw a towel in Bill Parcells face a couple of season ago. Let the trouble makes go to Miami. Buffalo prefers players with character and integrity.

Slim
02-12-2006, 01:13 PM
that was like an orgasim for my eyes

ICE74129
02-12-2006, 01:13 PM
I'm in the middle about Milloy. I see his best days are behind him. But do you think there's anyone out there more ready to step in and start that won't cost an arm and a leg?

To some extent, I'm ready to give every defender the benefit of the doubt regarding last year. No one except Fletcher had a really good year and Jerry Gray put that secondary in some very vunerable positions.

You do realise Milloy and Vincent are the highest paid at their positions? At least they were last year. You can get someone to replace milloy for less or as much and still be a top paid safety.

ICE74129
02-12-2006, 01:16 PM

Really? They offer Bentley up a contract that makes him the highest paid center in the NFL and I bet he only looks at Buffalo. Funny how money does that.

Buffalo with Marv Back and a coach that the PLAYERS respect in Jauron make Buffalo attractive.

There is nothing in the guys article that was that far of a reach.

djjimkelly
02-12-2006, 01:23 PM
i think u guys are so dead wrong about moulds being cut but then again we will know in about 20 days

patmoran2006
02-12-2006, 01:37 PM
Drive:
I'd LOVE to see David Givens in a Buffalo uniform. I don't think we can afford him. He WILL command No. 1 money somewhere, and some team (maybe the lions, haha) will overpay for him. Seriously, I can see a team like Dallas, Philadelphia or Seattle overpaying for him. Bryant is a more realistic option.

GREAT POINT about Bryant though. Given his rep in Dallas, his mental capacity definitely comes into question though by all accounts had no problems in Cleveland.

I tried to keep the article as realistic as possible. What Bills fan wouldn't want Hutchinson and Runyon on the left side of their line. I tried to my best to take into account the Bills needs and players out there versus the reality of economics.

Ice. When it comes to Milloy, I'm really in the middle there. I don't think he's the Milloy of 2001 anymore for sure, but I don't think he's as bad as he was last year either. After a great 2004, Jerry Gray really had a lot to do with (along with Spikes and williams not there) with the secondary taking such a nose dive. Cutting him (according to Clumpy) would save the Bills about $2.5 million. Do you think we can get a strong safety of equal value at that price? If there is one out there, then I'm all for it. Milloy is going into the final year of his contract.

Cutting Vincent THIS year makes no sense at all. His $3.2 cap number is too high, but cutting him only saves $800k against the cap, while $2.4 would go into the dead cap for this year. I think the best thing to do with him is get a free safety on day one of the draft and groom him for a year to take over in 2007.

patmoran2006
02-12-2006, 01:42 PM
djjim:
I would love to see Moulds stay.. I think he's better than any receiever we'd bring in to take his spot, and you can argue that if MOulds is back he's STILL the number one guy here (which could be detrimental to Losman and Evans)

But his cap number is astronomical ($10.8) and restructuring it will be next to impossible. He only has one year left in his contract. If he had three or four years left, then Buffalo could spread his money out better. But with only one year left, basically he'd have to be willing to cut his salary in half to stay with Buffalo, because he knows he'd be cut next year for cap reasons.

Not too mention, MOulds isn't the biggest fan of JP, and pride-wise, would you take a paycut in half, when teams like Philly, Dallas, or Denver (contenders NOW) would throw that money , if not more at you?

ICE74129
02-12-2006, 02:07 PM
i think u guys are so dead wrong about moulds being cut but then again we will know in about 20 days

Two things...Cap and crappy attitude. He is a ME first player and undermined his QB to get his own way. I don't care what he has done before, or what he can do now, you don't need that on your team. And his cap number is way over inflated. He is also at the age that extending him hurts us in the longrun.

I would personally like to see either 1) moulds and #8 for Denvers two firsts or 2) Moulds to philly for thier 2nd rounder.

JJamezz
02-12-2006, 08:16 PM
Awesome job man!

Your article is also up on Fox Sports (not your blog) and Yahoo Sports!

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team?statsId=2

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/buf/

patmoran2006
02-12-2006, 08:47 PM
JJAM:

HOly chit.. Wow, I didn't know that, but thanks for letting me know.. I sorta knew about fox, but had no clue about Yahoo at all.

That's cool, though I wish I'd be informed when this stuff happens..

patmoran2006
02-12-2006, 08:50 PM
ICE.

I totally agree with you about Moulds. It isn't about money exclusively anymore with him. His attitude towards JP was infectious throughout the club house.

However, He's not trade bait in my opinion. THis is why.. NO team is going to trade for him because they'd have to assume his contract. Competition knows he'll likey be cut, and then they can negotiate a more favorable contract. And I HONESTLY don't think he will take a paycut to remain in Buffalo. Philly has plenty of cap room and that's where I expect him to go when he is released.

vicmantak
02-12-2006, 09:20 PM
When it comes to Milloy, I'm really in the middle there. I don't think he's the Milloy of 2001 anymore for sure, but I don't think he's as bad as he was last year either. After a great 2004, Jerry Gray really had a lot to do with (along with Spikes and williams not there) with the secondary taking such a nose dive. Cutting him (according to Clumpy) would save the Bills about $2.5 million. Do you think we can get a strong safety of equal value at that price? If there is one out there, then I'm all for it. Milloy is going into the final year of his contract.

Cutting Vincent THIS year makes no sense at all. His $3.2 cap number is too high, but cutting him only saves $800k against the cap, while $2.4 would go into the dead cap for this year. I think the best thing to do with him is get a free safety on day one of the draft and groom him for a year to take over in 2007.
$2.5 million is something to strongly consider and if Milloy is gone I can see someone like Corey Chavous filling this spot. If you see, he is a bigger Milloy clone because he is an average tackler but with better pass coverage skills. He is still good enough to be on Vikings 2006 plans and I don't see any significant downgrade if Milloy is gone.
http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=189&p=8&c=1&nid=1802963

sba
02-12-2006, 10:52 PM
You completely ignored the fact that Moulds has already met with Levy and is working on another restructure to stay here.

And you are incorrect in assuming Moulds spread anything bad about Losman, his play and the fact that he's got a horrible attitude made him unliked in the locker room. It wasn't strictly Moulds calling for a change when it was desparately needed.

patmoran2006
02-13-2006, 04:32 PM
SBA

* I have not ignored the fact that MOulds may have his contract restructured, of course it's a possibity. This peice wasn't a REPORT of FACTS, it was a speculatory column based on both OPINION and FACT.. The Numbers were FACT.. the Moves made were OPINION, and just one person's at that.

* Having said that, here is a FACT.. Moulds has only one more year left on his contract IF he was to restructure. His BASE salary for 2007 is already $7.25 million, not counting whatever bonus money from when he signed his deal years ago.. So.. If his cap number this year is close to $11 mil, and he "restructures" his deal now and saves the club about $3-4 million, that money HAS to go ALL onto his final year.. So basically, his cap number for next year will be at LEAST as high as this year's if not LARGER..

Now i'm sure that Moulds' Mississippi State college education tells him there is NO way Buffalo is keeping him past this year at a cap number in 2007 the same or probably even HIGHER than it is now.. When he's a year older on top of that.

So why restructuring is techincally a possibility, he's not going to be around unless he takes a pay cut, and a large one at that. And something tells me his pride wont allow him to have his salary cut in half to come back to a 5-11 team that is a mystery at best on offense.. when teams like Philly, Denver or Chicago will pay him the same or even more for his services.

And I never said MOulds said anything bad about JP. He handled himself in the media quite well. But it's common knowledge that MOulds lobbied for Holcomb to start. and say what you want, but is it really a coincidence that the MOulds incident took place in Miami after Evans caught three TD's in a quarter? A week after catching two from JP against KC?

I like MOulds.. He could have left years ago for more money (remember the VIkings?) but stayed. He's had to deal with a ridiculous amount of coaches and coordinators and especially starting QB's since Jimbo retired... I HOPE they can work something out to keep him, I like him better than I'd like Antonio Bryant or another second-tier receiever. But I don't think it will happen.

Bling
02-14-2006, 08:31 PM
With DeCharles Bentley, HE is the one who said he wanted to play in Ohio, not me. Buffalo being close to Ohio was merely a geographical statement.

Buddy... there are so many teams within 200 miles of Ohio. Green Bay, Cincy, Cleveland, Chicago, Philly, Jets, Giants, Steelers, Tennessee, Detriot. Then you throw in a team like Miami who had a nice season, has a nice area, won't lose your money to state taxes (LOL @ Buffalo, NY). You tell me: Miami or Buffalo? Buffalo or Giants? The point is that unless the Bills plan on paying a bunch of dollars on him (which he is not worth), they are very much at a disadvantage. What the Bills need to do is

* In terms of Kemo, you consider Buffalo "a franchise with little hope?" Maybe you think that way, but with a more sound front office in place I doubt most players are thinking that way. When it comes to him, it will be about money. Buffalo's money is just as green as anyone elses.

* In what way has Antonio Bryant "proved he's better than Lee Evans?" Bryant in his FOURTH season, had his best year with 69-1006-4tds... Evans, who clearly had to play second fiddle to Eric Moulds his first two years, still had 96-1586 and 16 (yes 16) TD's in his first two seasons.. While Bryant may be on par with Evans, he has proven nothing except that he was the best receiever on a bad offensive team. Braylon Edwards will be back next year, Antonio isn't getting paid No. 1 money.

Oh how the times have changed... I could've told you the same thing about Lee Evans 3 years ago when Chambers was catching TD's. You guys all said he still didn't have the 1K.

* Lastly, I have no problems with criticism on articles. People have the right to bash something as much as they do to enjoy. However, maybe you should READ the article before putting comments into print. You quote "Hate to break it to you, but neither are anything special and McIntosh in the 2nd is a reach--just like Parrish was."

Well, I didn't list McIntosh in the second round. I him going in the THIRD round at No. 70. Still a reach?

I READ the article... How else did I COME UP with all those names? I'm sorry I didn't proof read it enough to go back to make sure McIntosh was your guy. But again I will emphasize, Griffin, I doubt will be there in the 3rd. He's a great player.... unlike soon to be proven horrible McIntosh just like Parrish. I warned you guys last year that picking up Roscoe "I'm Stanford Samuels' *****" Parrish was a bad move. McIntosh is just another Everett in the sense that he's a career backup, maybe even a starter on a bad team.

kernowboy
02-15-2006, 04:58 AM
Great great article, Pat, but don't agree with all. Would be great for you feedback on what I hope you read below.

Offensive side

Offensive Line
Backus .. definite upgrade as I think Gandy should slide inside. If not how about Peason from the Jags on an incentives deal. Anderson as a definite cut. Give Duke a run at centre see if he and JP can get a Hull/Kelly thing going. I'd give Big Mike one last year. Peters only helped McGahee to over 100yds once and 360lbs still looks good on the right but Dick and Marv need to light a big big fire. Jerman was a joke last year, drag in McFarland from Training Camp or find Jacob Rogers phone number and offer him the Minimum
TE/WR
Moulds may have to go. If he does why not Andre Davis from the Pats. Bryant has only one year as a character guy. I'm not convinced by Everett so why not Aaron's bro, Matt. With Parrish, is he really big enough? I wouldn't throw Reed just when he might be coming good.
RB
Bryson has had injury issues so Lamar Gordon. Our last guy from North Dakota St did well (Phil Hansen). Is Shelton past his sell buy date .. how about 2 TEs
QB
Even if JP loses in camp we must get him game day mop up duty.

Draft
Colledge, Mangold, Boothe, Spencer - any of these guys will help

QB Losman (I hope)
WR Evans, Reed, Davis, Aitken, (Fantuz as an original FA?)
TE Schobel, Everett, Euhus
RB McGahee, Gordon, Rhodes from the draft as 3rd down back
FB 2 TEs or see if Gates wants to put on some pounds
OL Backus or Pearson
Gandy
Preston
DRAFT Spencer or Boothe
Williams

I'd have Colledge as a backup and trade Peters for someone,

In the next reply I'm going defensive

OPINION OF A LIMEY ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE POND

kernowboy
02-15-2006, 05:32 AM
Get Ngata in the draft and Howard, Meier and Archuleta as free agents. Also if we give up Clements lets get Allen and maybe a 3rd/4th in 2007 as well

I never liked Milloys attitude of cash before the ring so lets upgrade

The defence goes

RE Schobel, Kelsay
DT Adams, Edwards
DT Ngata, Anderson
LE Howard (on an up year?) Meier

keep the Lbs but if we dump Jeff lets get Kai Parham

CB Allen and McGee, Greer, King and a tall Rookie
FS Vincent's final year before the era of Baker or 2007 draftee
SS Archuleta and keep the ST Captain Wire

and the draft (based on your trade)

R1 Ngata - Sam's new best friend
R2 Parham - in case London get too pricey next year
R2 (from Giants) - Colledge - LT/G of the future?
R3 (from Titans) - a tall CB, Blackmon or Joseph
R3 - the wild card - Mike Hass - a great No2 of the future for Lee

in 4-7 I want guys who slip who are p****d and motivated and lets see if Robinson can be our Randle El or Selleca Wallace. Oh and a big RT to back up and replace Williams would be nice.

THE OPINION OF A LIMEY ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE POND

casdhf
02-15-2006, 10:21 AM
Is there really a chance that Mercedes Lewis lasts to the 2nd round anyways?

Bling
03-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Glad to see LeCharles Bentley joined the Bills.... oh wait....