PDA

View Full Version : Madden's got to go

OpIv37
01-26-2003, 10:29 PM
This topic may have already been brought up on these boards- I remember discussing it before but I can't remember where.

John Madden makes the most ridiculously obvious comments I have ever heard. The guy has no insight whatsoever. He somehow managed to take common knowledge about football and turn it into a two-decade broadcasting career. Perhaps the worst comment he made tonight went something like this (paraphrased, not an exact quote).

"John Gruden likes to get a lead and then kill the clock. He likes to score early, then when he has a safe lead, run the ball to take time off the clock"

Ummm, isn't that what every coach in the history of football has done? You could give anyone on this board a lobotomy and they could still come up with better comments than Madden.

The_Philster
01-27-2003, 04:36 AM
He gets paid by the word and since his football intelligence is about average these days, he has to get his pay somehow.

WG
01-27-2003, 05:21 AM
They could just stick a giant Madden bobblehead on the TV and replay tapes and clips of old games and it'd be the same. Madden's best days are clearly over.

Earthquake Enyart
01-27-2003, 07:58 AM
Madden is more interesting on EA Sports than he is on ABC

Lone Stranger
01-27-2003, 08:16 AM
Agreed. Dan Fouts was actually better than Madden.

Cntrygal
01-27-2003, 08:53 AM
I have to agree. Madden needs to retire! I get so tired of him circling playings, drawing x's and "passing" lanes on the tv. Then of course there's the "whoever makes a good play", is the NFL's most awesome player.:rolleyes:

NC-BILLS44
01-27-2003, 08:59 AM
Madden has to go! I remember him talking about when to use the two point conversion or not. I don't think he would ever use it. He can't do the math.

JefftheBillsfan
01-27-2003, 09:10 AM
I was enlightened when he informed me that the game yesterday became a game of points and time...as opposed to every other game i guess.

Novacane
01-27-2003, 09:11 AM
He's awful!

JefftheBillsfan
01-27-2003, 09:12 AM
hahah, ya...he made it seem like when he was coaching that he wouldnt wait to use the 2 point conversion untill late. umm lets see he coached in the 70s, and the 2 point conversion came over in what, the mid 90s? I guess he meant that he always thought that while announcing.

don137
01-27-2003, 09:30 AM
I think Phil Simms is the best color announcer in the business...I can tolerate Madden. He just doesn't do anything for me.

Ð
01-27-2003, 09:31 AM
OK, OK. Fire Madden. Give Wys a shot ;)

Voltron
01-27-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Cntrygal
I have to agree. Madden needs to retire! I get so tired of him circling playings, drawing x's and "passing" lanes on the tv. Then of course there's the "whoever makes a good play", is the NFL's most awesome player.:rolleyes:

He he

His favorite quote "so and so is all world"

What the hell is that???!!!!

All world?!

besides the Minor leagues this is the only country they play this game professionaly.

lordofgun
01-27-2003, 09:57 AM
It's just a bunch of jibberish. I can't understand a thing he says. After every sentence, everyone in my family said "WHAT???" out loud.

Honest_Liar
01-27-2003, 12:36 PM
Yeah.. I've never heard a sports announcer repeat the same thing over and over like he does.. thank God he's only a color commentator.

Billz_fan
01-27-2003, 12:46 PM
When Johm first came on the broadcast scene he was fresh, he used to use alot of "BOOM" and "BANG" in his broadcast. He was always touting the lineman as the blood and mud guys. He was different and became popular.

He has through time though gone away from all of that to the more conventional style used by everyone else. Couple that with his age and he has become a has been.

Billz_fan
01-27-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Honest_Liar
Yeah.. I've never heard a sports announcer repeat the same thing over and over like he does.. thank God he's only a color commentator.

hey !! Don't I know you from the forum over at Bills.com? Are you trying to migrate also ?

:beers:

Cntrygal
01-27-2003, 12:52 PM
Welcome to the Zone Billz_fan!!!! :)

lordofgun
01-27-2003, 02:13 PM

That's an undersatatement! Welcome Mr. Liar!

Honest_Liar
01-27-2003, 02:17 PM
hey !! Don't I know you from the forum over at Bills.com? Are you trying to migrate also ?

Yep, that's me. I started to get sick of Mr.Right, wted etc. and the fact that the mods never did anything about them, so here I am! :bigwave:

Dozerdog
01-27-2003, 02:19 PM
Welcome to our world, Honest liar!

Billz_fan
01-27-2003, 02:25 PM

Yep, that's me. I started to get sick of Mr.Right, wted etc. and the fact that the mods never did anything about them, so here I am! :bigwave:

Im here for the same reason, They goon squad has free run over there. Like the old west, no law.

Nice to see ya.

Also thanks to all of you and your very nice welcomes :church:

Earthquake Enyart
01-27-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Billz_fan

Im here for the same reason, They goon squad has free run over there. Like the old west, no law.

Nice to see ya.

Also thanks to all of you and your very nice welcomes :church:

There's quite a goon squad here too. Keep your head up if you have the puck near the boards.

MissBuffalo
01-27-2003, 03:30 PM
Welcome new friends!!!!!! :wave:

Madden talks in circles and points out the obvious. That's all he's good for these days.

The_Philster
01-27-2003, 03:52 PM
:welcome: aboard guys

Originally posted by BigDoug
OK, OK. Fire Madden. Give Wys a shot ;)

:eek: :scared:

4thAndLong
01-27-2003, 04:36 PM
I know I've brought some of the people from BB here....

I'm here for the same reason as you, Honest_Liar. But this place is addicting...Great mods, friendly posters...And some real idiots. (WCF, Echo)

Now, next time I refer someone to this board, they better not be lazy @$$es ;) and put me as the person who referred them. I need the ZBs...:D

Welcome Billz_Fan, and Honest_Liar...Good to see some more of the BB.com casualties still alive...:D

Back to the topic though...

Madden definately has to go...I remember someone saying that he has a,"Firm grasp of the obvious." I dont remember who said that, but its dead on.

Ingtar33
01-27-2003, 04:51 PM
What, no one finds "when you can play, you can play" to be witty and informative? How about, "so and so is the toughest guy in the NFL" followed by some weird doodles on the screen highlighting the sweat, blood, beer belly, or mean face, followed by some incomprehensible mono syllables like ugh, baaa, gee, waaa, then "see what I mean?" His commentary is akin to the "drunk guy" at the end of the bar you're watching the game with. Personally I think Madden really is a master at communicating to the drunken ****** in all of us.

OpIv37
01-27-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
Personally I think Madden really is a master at communicating to the drunken ****** in all of us.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Next year, I'm gonna get loaded then watch a game with Madden announcing- maybe then I'll be able to pay attention to his mindless drivel for more than 8 seconds at a time.

Cntrygal
01-27-2003, 08:09 PM
oops... sorry I missed ya "Mr. Liar" ;)

Welcome!! :)

Cntrygal
01-27-2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
Personally I think Madden really is a master at communicating to the drunken ****** in all of us.

:drinker:

mush69
01-28-2003, 05:38 AM
They ought to team Madden and Greg Gumbel up. Now that would be a great commentating team. Gumbel can't remember who plays on what team and Madden just reals off the cliches'.

They both need to go, maybe they could get a spot doing lawn bowling or tennis.:dizzy: