PDA

View Full Version : Misc news that could affect the Bills...

mysticsoto
02-14-2006, 09:14 AM
Antonio Bryant is a free agent, but the Browns seem in no rush to sign him. Despite his 69 catches, they are not overwhelmed with the idea of keeping him for big money. They seem more interested in shopping for some veteran free-agent receivers. If Bryant leaves, they might bring in two.
-- Akron Beacon Journal

Antwaan Randle El, who is a free agent and a hot commodity, said he is asking God whether he should stay with the Steelers or go to another NFL team. "I am not sure if this is where God wants me to continue to be or if he wants me to go elsewhere," he said. "I just have to keep praying about it."
-- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Obvously he's praying for a big payout!!!

It could cost the Vikings a $10 million bonus to re-sign receiver Koren Robinson.
-- Minneapolis Star Tribune

With Reggie Wayne possibly entering the market (the Colts will probably keep him though), along with Joe Jurevicious, Peter Warrick, possibly Isaac Bruce (cut for salary cap reasons), David Givens (Patriots will probably keep him), Reche Caldwell, Corey Bradford, Troy Brown, Ike Hilliard, Tim Dwight, Antonio Chatman, Darnerian McCants, and several more...there is a glut of WRs in FA. That bodes well for the Bills in terms of negotiating points for a contract for Moulds, or in obtaining a decent WR and not overpaying (giving the number of them that are available) if we should lose him.

The Jets' new regime might be less inclined to count on Chad Pennington's return. It appears the new idea is to acquire both a young quarterback and a veteran quarterback, not a bad thought. As they've learned, you can never have too many quarterbacks.
-- Newsday

This is good news. If the Jets were to take a QB with their 1st rd pick, that leaves more opportunity for us to get Brick...or Mario Williams if someone else takes Brick just before us. In any case, the more QBs taken quickly, the crappier the QB Miami ends up taking. And with Carr being extended, there are slim pickings for Miami in FA. I doubt Matt Schaub would leave Atlanta unless Miami really pays him a great deal. Atlanta has already shown that they don't want to lose him and in truth, some commentators I've heard feel that Atlanta would do better with Schaub at the helm than inconsistent Vick. The only QB left worth something is Culpepper - he could end up in Miami...although, he may more likely end up in Oakland reunited with Moss. With the injuries in SD, I doubt the Chargers seriously consider losing Rivers. So, all in all, the Jets taking a QB in the 1st round would be GREAT!!!

The Jets were going to look to trade John Abraham anyway. But the appointments of Eric Mangini and Mike Tannenbaum probably only increase the chances Abraham will go.
-- Newsday

If we could afford him, I'd love to have Abraham here, but it is unlikely that we could. Still, him not being on the Jets team is a plus for us...the Jets have alot of holes to fill, possibly more than the Bills. I'm not sure why Fin fans claim that we will be the bottom of the AFC East - other than pure hatred of us. The Jets don't have a good Oline, they are losing their top Dline man, their QB is injury prone and they may have to draft a rookie to play for him when he goes down this coming season. They have an aging RB and will need to draft a RB also (2nd rd ?). They will not likely sign Ty Law again since it is too much money to pay (draft CB for 3rd ?) and their WRs are average at best. They paid alot last year for an average TE, and they have new coaches that will implement new schemes and new ways of doing things that will take time for a team to absorb.

As much as Bills fans have hated what happened this year with the Bills, the Jets appear to have it worse...

Iehoshua
02-14-2006, 09:29 AM
Antonio Bryant is a free agent, but the Browns seem in no rush to sign him. Despite his 69 catches, they are not overwhelmed with the idea of keeping him for big money. They seem more interested in shopping for some veteran free-agent receivers. If Bryant leaves, they might bring in two.
-- Akron Beacon JournalPass on him. He's a head case. If we want to roll the dice on a problem-child receiver, then roll the dice on the one with the biggest upside, T.O. Otherwise, avoid.

Antwaan Randle El, who is a free agent and a hot commodity, said he is asking God whether he should stay with the Steelers or go to another NFL team. "I am not sure if this is where God wants me to continue to be or if he wants me to go elsewhere," he said. "I just have to keep praying about it."
-- Pittsburgh Post-GazetteIf God tells him to come to Buffalo, then who are we to argue? He'd be a solid addition to any team, but he doesn't seem like a good fit with our current staff of receivers.

It could cost the Vikings a $10 million bonus to re-sign receiver Koren Robinson.
-- Minneapolis Star TribuneSee above explination under Bryant.

With Reggie Wayne possibly entering the market (the Colts will probably keep him though), along with Joe Jurevicious, Peter Warrick, possibly Isaac Bruce (cut for salary cap reasons), David Givens (Patriots will probably keep him), Reche Caldwell, Corey Bradford, Troy Brown, Ike Hilliard, Tim Dwight, Antonio Chatman, Darnerian McCants, and several more...there is a glut of WRs in FA. That bodes well for the Bills in terms of negotiating points for a contract for Moulds, or in obtaining a decent WR and not overpaying (giving the number of them that are available) if we should lose him.
Out of the receivers named there, keeping Moulds looks like the best option. There are lots of marginal names available, but no real gamebreakers...

The Jets' new regime might be less inclined to count on Chad Pennington's return. It appears the new idea is to acquire both a young quarterback and a veteran quarterback, not a bad thought. As they've learned, you can never have too many quarterbacks.
-- Newsday

This is good news. If the Jets were to take a QB with their 1st rd pick, that leaves more opportunity for us to get Brick...or Mario Williams if someone else takes Brick just before us. In any case, the more QBs taken quickly, the crappier the QB Miami ends up taking. And with Carr being extended, there are slim pickings for Miami in FA. I doubt Matt Schaub would leave Atlanta unless Miami really pays him a great deal. Atlanta has already shown that they don't want to lose him and in truth, some commentators I've heard feel that Atlanta would do better with Schaub at the helm than inconsistent Vick. The only QB left worth something is Culpepper - he could end up in Miami...although, he may more likely end up in Oakland reunited with Moss. With the injuries in SD, I doubt the Chargers seriously consider losing Rivers. So, all in all, the Jets taking a QB in the 1st round would be GREAT!!!
Agreed. If they do take a QB, hopefully whichever QB they take doesn't pan out. (Sorry, Jet fans...)

The Jets were going to look to trade John Abraham anyway. But the appointments of Eric Mangini and Mike Tannenbaum probably only increase the chances Abraham will go.
-- Newsday

If we could afford him, I'd love to have Abraham here, but it is unlikely that we could. Still, him not being on the Jets team is a plus for us...the Jets have alot of holes to fill, possibly more than the Bills. I'm not sure why Fin fans claim that we will be the bottom of the AFC East - other than pure hatred of us. The Jets don't have a good Oline, they are losing their top Dline man, their QB is injury prone and they may have to draft a rookie to play for him when he goes down this coming season. They have an aging RB and will need to draft a RB also (2nd rd ?). They will not likely sign Ty Law again since it is too much money to pay (draft CB for 3rd ?) and their WRs are average at best. They paid alot last year for an average TE, and they have new coaches that will implement new schemes and new ways of doing things that will take time for a team to absorb.

As much as Bills fans have hated what happened this year with the Bills, the Jets appear to have it worse...
If all goes well, we will find a way to sign some big name talent here, not sure if it will be Abraham, but he would be an upgrade.

The Jets do appear to be in bad shape, but the draft and offseason acquisitions will pain a better picture.

gr8slayer
02-14-2006, 10:34 AM
Ill take Bryant. Pure, raw, talent.

djjimkelly
02-14-2006, 10:41 AM
we have absoluetly no need for randle el while he is an excellent player the bills have no need for a all 5'11 and below wr core. the plan should be keep moulds and wait till 2007 or 2008 to find that 6'3 wr who is a difference maker

kgun12
02-14-2006, 11:27 AM
Reche Caldwell is just starting to develop, he could be a nice 3rd Wr for us if we decide to let Reed go.

tat2dmike77
02-14-2006, 11:43 AM
Praying to god to figure out where he will play. I think that deserves chessey quote of the year for randle el.

mysticsoto
02-14-2006, 11:43 AM
Reche Caldwell is just starting to develop, he could be a nice 3rd Wr for us if we decide to let Reed go.

Reed better be let go, he is useless. I'd take Caldwell over him easily...or maybe even Wilson who virtually caught everything in TC and the preseason games last year, but still wasn't given a fair chance. Atleast he was kept on the roster...Parrish will probably come on more this year and will hold the 3rd spot if he's anything like what people were predicting when they drafted him. If Moulds reworks his contract and stays, I think we'll be okay at WR. But the glut of WRs should help in the negotiations of Moulds.

kgun12
02-14-2006, 11:51 AM
Reed better be let go, he is useless. I'd take Caldwell over him easily...or maybe even Wilson who virtually caught everything in TC and the preseason games last year, but still wasn't given a fair chance. Atleast he was kept on the roster...Parrish will probably come on more this year and will hold the 3rd spot if he's anything like what people were predicting when they drafted him. If Moulds reworks his contract and stays, I think we'll be okay at WR. But the glut of WRs should help in the negotiations of Moulds.

I agree with all of that!

dolphinssuck
02-14-2006, 12:26 PM
Reed better be let go, he is useless. I'd take Caldwell over him easily...or maybe even Wilson who virtually caught everything in TC and the preseason games last year, but still wasn't given a fair chance. Atleast he was kept on the roster...Parrish will probably come on more this year and will hold the 3rd spot if he's anything like what people were predicting when they drafted him. If Moulds reworks his contract and stays, I think we'll be okay at WR. But the glut of WRs should help in the negotiations of Moulds.I agree that Caldwell should be used in place of Reed who didnt perform like he could have. And as for not giving players a fair chance to Caldweel that seemed to be the case with another player last season by the name of JP. IMO both these guys deserve the starting slots next season. Parrish will be improved next season and IMO as well will hold that 3rd spot if not the 2nd spot. As for Moulds I like him and think he can help us but I wouldnt be devastated if we brought in a younger player to put in his place. This team has so much potential and did last season but thanks to poor use of this talent we really stunk it up.

Bill Brasky
02-15-2006, 06:26 AM

Jurevicious should be their top priority. I'm not enamoured with anyone else on that list, except Wayne who will not be coming to BUF regardless.

Earthquake Enyart
02-15-2006, 06:59 AM
Randle El will end up on da Bears. That's all they're talking about here.

Randle El is from the south side.

Bill Brasky
02-15-2006, 07:05 AM
Randle El will end up on da Bears. That's all they're talking about here.

Randle El is from the south side.

I heard he was from the West Side.

Al13
02-15-2006, 08:22 PM
randle el will wind up with his old coach mularkey in miami