PDA

View Full Version : Cottrell retires?

Stewie
02-14-2006, 01:52 PM
I guess he might as well take the benefits...

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/sports/13865224.htm

Still looking for work more than a month since being fired by the Vikings, and with no immediate job prospects, former defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell revealed Monday that he has filed retirement papers with the NFL.

"I don't want to retire," Cottrell, 58, said. "I'm being forced into retirement."

Fired Jan. 8 by new coach Brad Childress along with most of Mike Tice's staff, Cottrell said he thought his 22 years as an NFL assistant would land him an opportunity with another team.

It hasn't worked out that way, though, even with 10 teams changing head coaches.

"It's been a bizarre year," Cottrell said. "All these openings but no jobs. I've called some people and it's the same old story. 'We'll let you know if anything opens up.' "

Cottrell, who interviewed for the Vikings' head coaching job before Childress was hired, isn't alone.

Not counting Tice, who accepted a position two weeks ago as assistant head coach/offense in Jacksonville, only two former Vikings coaches have found work. Offensive coordinator Steve Loney took a job as offensive line coach in Arizona, and offensive assistant Randy Hanson was hired as an offensive quality control coach in St. Louis.

The rest, like Cottrell, are still looking, despite a 9-7 record that included a 7-2 finish.

"We won nine games and can't find work," Cottrell said. "It's amazing. I'm just amazed we could do that, almost pull off the comeback and make the playoffs, and not get jobs."

Fired with no time left on his Vikings contract, Cottrell said he had no choice but to file for retirement, although the checks won't start until August.

In addition to the Vikings' head coaching opening, Cottrell interviewed for defensive coordinator in Buffalo and a position coach job with New Orleans, but those spots have been filled.

Stewie
02-14-2006, 01:54 PM
I'm stoopd

ArcticWildMan
02-14-2006, 01:55 PM
I moved it for you. No sweat. :up:

Dont drink the water
02-14-2006, 03:02 PM
How can you be "fired" with no time on contract? Like Gregg Williams he was not rehired. :doh:

ArcticWildMan
02-14-2006, 03:05 PM
I think Cottrells charges of racism in the NFL are coming back to haunt him now.

ChristopherWalken
02-14-2006, 05:27 PM
I really don't feel bad for the guy. I think it's time for him to retire. His defense was never consistant enough for me anyway.

TigerJ
02-14-2006, 11:03 PM
I would have thought maybe Art Shell would have given him a call.

Tatonka
02-14-2006, 11:42 PM
he is a crybaby who always pulls the race card.. he can go f himself.. sorry you have to collect more in retirement next year than i will make in the next 10 years combined.

i guess the man is holding me down too.

G. Host
02-14-2006, 11:53 PM
I would have thought maybe Art Shell would have given him a call.

The one who controls the purse strings said the coaches he did not fire are staying. I believe they gave him an extension.

I believe I was the 1st one who called Cottrell problem. That interview calling Bills front office racists just sticks in my memory.

Bmax
02-15-2006, 02:01 AM
I am never amazed by the comments of some of you on this board . The guy gave his all to the NFL and i guess he is upset about being passed over for a head coaching position in college or the NFL. I feel he is unemployed now because of his age and recent track record. I do feel he has a point about RACISM IN THE NFL.

It exsists...WE are in america aren't we...So if it still exsists in The US why not the NFL. Unfortunately it woven deep in the fabric of this great nation . Slowly it's fading but we still have a lot of work to do. I read some of your comments and i see that . The man is holding me down... Crybaby !!!! Playing the race card.. I'm not saying your comments are racist... Just that they lack understanding or sensitivity.

From everything i know about Ted Cotrell he is not a man who blames everyone for his shortcomings. He paid his dues while climbing the NFL coaching ladder.

As far as his collecting a lot retirement money good for him. He worked for it .

Nobody just gave it to him .. He did not steal it .. Or lay on his back refusing to work and collect it from taxpayers.

The man earned his money.. Who are we to be upset at him for getting what he rightly deserves. I know one thing.. like it or not never trash a guy who gets blessed by being able to make a large salary . just pray that god will shine on you to get equally blessed.

The guy has had a rough two months ..family members sick or dying ...lost his job...I wish him well ...I know if he is bitter it will pass...One day he will let it go if he has n't already. I've been there .. some of you have been also.. LOST MINE THREE YEARS AGO. I WAS UNEMPLOYED FOR EIGHT MONTHS.. It was tough .. I was bitter and angry ,, It wasn't a racial matter .. But i did lose a great job that i always wanted.

Give the guy a break.. It's a tough thing for a man to lose a job.

No matter how much money he makes.. Some times i think we just forget that these guys are people just like us .. Human beings ...Who sometimes make mistakes.. It must be tough to see your chance of making your dreams come true end.

God Speed Ted ...

Bmax

ICE74129
02-15-2006, 10:11 AM
I think Cottrells charges of racism in the NFL are coming back to haunt him now.

And we have a winner! Add to that he hasn't done spit since leaving buffalo. He is a decent guy but there are better DC's out there.