PDA

View Full Version : Cottrell retires

Stewie
02-14-2006, 01:55 PM
I guess he might as well take the benefits...

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/sports/13865224.htm

Still looking for work more than a month since being fired by the Vikings, and with no immediate job prospects, former defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell revealed Monday that he has filed retirement papers with the NFL.

"I don't want to retire," Cottrell, 58, said. "I'm being forced into retirement."

Fired Jan. 8 by new coach Brad Childress along with most of Mike Tice's staff, Cottrell said he thought his 22 years as an NFL assistant would land him an opportunity with another team.

It hasn't worked out that way, though, even with 10 teams changing head coaches.

"It's been a bizarre year," Cottrell said. "All these openings but no jobs. I've called some people and it's the same old story. 'We'll let you know if anything opens up.' "

Cottrell, who interviewed for the Vikings' head coaching job before Childress was hired, isn't alone.

Not counting Tice, who accepted a position two weeks ago as assistant head coach/offense in Jacksonville, only two former Vikings coaches have found work. Offensive coordinator Steve Loney took a job as offensive line coach in Arizona, and offensive assistant Randy Hanson was hired as an offensive quality control coach in St. Louis.

The rest, like Cottrell, are still looking, despite a 9-7 record that included a 7-2 finish.

"We won nine games and can't find work," Cottrell said. "It's amazing. I'm just amazed we could do that, almost pull off the comeback and make the playoffs, and not get jobs."

Fired with no time left on his Vikings contract, Cottrell said he had no choice but to file for retirement, although the checks won't start until August.

In addition to the Vikings' head coaching opening, Cottrell interviewed for defensive coordinator in Buffalo and a position coach job with New Orleans, but those spots have been filled.