PDA

View Full Version : LMAO @ Dick Jauron and his QB comments.

ICE74129
02-14-2006, 04:21 PM
"You have a veteran quarterback in Kelly, who is comfortable with his game," Jauron said. "J.P. is a young quarterback and plays like one. ... He needs to be better for what he went though last year."

I also talk with ed Kilgore. He said that DJ says this is JP's 3rd season. That is usually a make or break year for QB's.

good thing Sandiego didn't think that huh?

JP's 3rd year? huh? Well lets see...

Year one, on the bench due to an injury supplied by a dumb assed vet. Then no reps hardly at all to keep Bledsoe from being pissed.

Year two. Gets 4 games in which the entire team did nothing. so MM, TD and Emo and the rest of the vets hang the seasons issues completely on him.

Year 3, Aledgedly he is going to be allowed to 'compete' for the job. Well it sounds to me like DJ has already made up his mind and will insert holcomb as the starter. Remember 'one will be named going into camp'. Ok so if you name one going into camp and he gets the bulk of the reps, how is guy #2 supposed to have a shot to 'compete'?

It isn't JP per say, it is the fact this 'kid' (insert some name here) has busted his ass, lived IN BUFFALO, embraced the city and worked his ass off. the only problem he has is a lack of experience and the team flat sucked last year. So for working his ass off he gets punished by the media, fanbase and the coaching staff...errr...now possibly TWO Coaching staffs.

I hope the som ***** is smart enough to get the hell outta town. This org is going to screw up what might be one hell of a career.

And regardless of if you like JP or not, inserting holcomb as our starter is going to fugg us 50 ways to Sunday. He isn't going to get it done and anyone with a brain knows it. it scares me that they are talking of holcomb starting instead of bringing in another, younger, stronger armed vet who might still improve to compete for the job.

ChristopherWalken
02-14-2006, 04:24 PM
I don't think things are quite as negative as you have painted them. Seems to me that the kid has an opportunity to prove himself in camp.

Iehoshua
02-14-2006, 04:26 PM
Any time a coach says there will be an "open QB competition" it's all PR fluff.

If Holcomb is the starter, then as opposed as I am, at least stick with him and don't play musical chairs again.

justasportsfan
02-14-2006, 04:34 PM
I don't think things are quite as negative as you have painted them. Seems to me that the kid has an opportunity to prove himself in camp.
players fans will spin a quote just to satisfy their need to whine because the player isn't treated like a star.

ICE74129
02-14-2006, 04:35 PM

If Holcomb is the starter, then as opposed as I am, at least stick with him and don't play musical chairs again.

If holcomb is the starter we are 7-9 at best. He is a career loser. he is a BACKUP. Why can't DJ and Marv see this?

ICE74129
02-14-2006, 04:36 PM
players fans will spin a quote just to satisfy their need to whine because the player isn't treated like a star.

WTF are you talking about you clown? go back to hugging your holcomb doll moron.

ChristopherWalken
02-14-2006, 04:45 PM
ICE, you have a very grimm outlook towards life, don't you? Please explain; How do you expect Jauron to just announce Losman as the starting QB when that's precisely what Mularkey did last season? We all know how that turned out. Sorry to burst your bubble. A smart coach isn't just going to give the team to an uproven QB. He should earn his title.

justasportsfan
02-14-2006, 04:47 PM
ICE, you have a very grimm outlook towards life, don't you? Please explain how do you expect Jauron to just announce Losman the QB when that precisely what Mularkey did last season? We all know how that ended up. Sorry to burst your bubble. A smart coach isn't just going to give the team to an uproven QB. He should earn his title.:movie:

gr8slayer
02-14-2006, 04:50 PM

Exactly. But on the other hand. Starting Holcomb, for Juron would be career suicide.

BAM
02-14-2006, 04:50 PM
ICE, you have a very grimm outlook towards life, don't you? Please explain; How do you expect Jauron to just announce Losman as the starting QB when that's precisely what Mularkey did last season? We all know how that turned out. Sorry to burst your bubble. A smart coach isn't just going to give the team to an uproven QB. He should earn his title.

Very good post. Anyone assuming otherwise is in fact, the moron.

justasportsfan
02-14-2006, 04:56 PM
Very good post. Anyone assuming otherwise is in fact, the moron.:movie:

ChristopherWalken
02-14-2006, 04:56 PM
Thanks, Bam. I don't mean to call the dude out, but it just seems like anytime he posts he throws in some negative spin as if the Bills are purposly self destructing. I certainly do question his loyality as a fan.

ICE74129
02-14-2006, 04:57 PM

Holcomb isnt proven either...unless losing is proven to you. cinci handed their team to an unproven guy. NYG did too. EVERY Team at some point does it. Only in buffalo is it wrong to let a QB Develop on the field.

And when he names holcomb the starter we are going to be in for one hell of a crappy year. But you guys will come to see this soon enough for yourselfs.

gr8slayer
02-14-2006, 04:58 PM
Very good post. Anyone assuming otherwise is in fact, the moron.
Thems fightin words!

But you are right. It would be freaking dumb to say that either one of them is the starter right now. Im personally interested to see how much Losman does this offseason to prepare himself for next season. There's no doubt he has "it".

gr8slayer
02-14-2006, 04:59 PM
Holcomb isnt proven either...unless losing is proven to you. cinci handed their team to an unproven guy. NYG did too. EVERY Team at some point does it. Only in buffalo is it wrong to let a QB Develop on the field.

And when he names holcomb the starter we are going to be in for one hell of a crappy year. But you guys will come to see this soon enough for yourselfs.
I think deep down inside everyone wants to see Losman starting. But wouldnt you rather he earn it just alittle? I think its a given that he is the starter myself, but he doesnt have to know that. Make him think he is fighting for his job. Most people's potential is reached when their back is against the wall and they come out punching. Juron has to make him feel like his back is up against the wall.

Iehoshua
02-14-2006, 05:00 PM
:roflmao:

So the coaches who started Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, John Elway, and other rookies are all apparently stupid since none of those QBs proved squat when they took over, they just had a good scouting report. Gotcha!

I guess this makes me a moron, but you can't say just because Moolarkey did it that naming a player THE starter is the wrong move.

gr8slayer
02-14-2006, 05:02 PM

So the coaches who started Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, John Elway, and other rookies are all apparently stupid since none of those QBs proved squat when they took over, they just had a good scouting report. Gotcha!
Not stupid. All those QB's also came into a team who was going nowhere so they had time to develop. Unknowing to me, we have a SB contending team in Buffalo. Apparently we dont have the "time" to wait on a guy who has just as much, if not more potential than all the guys you mentioned above.

Iehoshua
02-14-2006, 05:03 PM
Not stupid. All those QB's also came into a team who was going nowhere so they had time to develop. Unknowing to me, we have a SB contending team in Buffalo. Apparently we dont have the "time" to wait on a guy who has just as much, if not more potential than all the guys you mentioned above.
I see. How dumb and moronic it is to not see this! Thanks for clarifying!

;)

gr8slayer
02-14-2006, 05:04 PM
I see. How dumb and moronic it is to not see this! Thanks for clarifying!

;)
I knew you'd see it my way :D

justasportsfan
02-14-2006, 05:04 PM

I guess this makes me a moron, but you can't say just because Moolarkey did it that naming a player THE starter is the wrong move. Don't forget , there's Robosack and Leaf as examples as well.

Jauron hasn't had the chance to see what JP can do first hand since he wasn't at camp and practices. I'm not surprised he went with the safe comment. I do however expect JP to get the job.

ChristopherWalken
02-14-2006, 05:05 PM

Where did it say that Holcomb has the job? Let's see a quote. Please enlighten the rest of us.

Jauron hasn't even seen the two of them in action yet. He's pointing out the obvious. "Holcomb is a seasoned veteran that is very comfortable in his game." / "J.P. is a young quarterback and plays like one." Who here can disagree with these comments? Anyone? Anyone?

Sounds reasonable to me.

Why don't you wait to start your QB controversy threads when the coaching staff has at least been assembled, and they've at least seen their talent in motion? Hell, they just hired the QB coach yesterday or early today. The guy probably isn't even in town yet.

Iehoshua
02-14-2006, 05:07 PM
Robonuts and Leaf all had a few more games than Losman to prove it. Roboblows was a phenominal camp player. Gruden planned to supplant Brad when he brought him in, we saw how that turned out.

I do agree Jauron is erring on the side of caution with his comments. Who knows what will happen between now and then?

justasportsfan
02-14-2006, 05:07 PM
Where did it say that Holcomb has the job? Let's see a quote. Please enlighten the rest of us.

.:movie:

gr8slayer
02-14-2006, 05:08 PM
there are exceptions. However , there's Robosack and Leaf as examples . Jauron hasn't had the chance to see what JP can do first hand since he wasn't at camp and practices. I'm not surprised he went with the safe comment. I do however expect JP to get the job.
I really hate it when people use Leaf as an example to compare JP.

They are on totally different teams and in totally different situations.

JP, unlike Leaf, actually has some talent around him. This is the perfect situation for a young QB assuming Willis decides he wants to play next season. Even without Spikes we have a pretty damn good Defense, and we have two of the best young players in the league on Offense (Evans and McGahee.)

What we lack on the OL JP can make up for with his feet (unlike Leaf.) BTW, who says we dont go out and pick up a hell of an Offensive Line in this years draft? Marv has a brain in his head, unlike Donahoe and will draft based on need, not whoever is the best player on the board. Lets give it some time before we start comparing JP to Rojo or Leaf. The guy has only started 5 games for godsake.

Iehoshua
02-14-2006, 05:09 PM

Jauron hasn't even seen the two of them in action yet. He's pointing out the obvious. "Holcomb is a seasoned veteran that is very comfortable in his game." / "J.P. is a young quarterback and plays like one." Who here can disagree with these comments? Anyone? Anyone?

Sounds reasonable to me.

Why don't you wait to start your QB controversy threads when the coaching staff has at least been assembled, and they've at least seen their talent in motion? Hell, they just hired the QB coach yesterday or early today. The guy probably isn't even in town yet. ...because QB controversies make for great messageboard fodder!
:D

Again, I agree it was only Jauron saying what any reasonable person would say on the QBs. There was no statement of naming a starter. My comment was based on the possibility of him naming Holcomb the starter. I would disagree but still at least hope that they stuck to their guns. If they want to sink the ship, sink it in dramatic fashion with confidence!

ChristopherWalken
02-14-2006, 05:10 PM
...because QB controversies make for great messageboard fodder!
:D

Again, I agree it was only Jauron saying what any reasonable person would say on the QBs.

Precisely. He's just throwing the media a bone.

justasportsfan
02-14-2006, 05:14 PM
Robonuts and Leaf all had a few more games than Losman to prove it. Roboblows was a phenominal camp player. Gruden planned to supplant Brad when he brought him in, we saw how that turned out.

I do agree Jauron is erring on the side of caution with his comments. Who knows what will happen between now and then? Marv and Jauron were not the ones who drafted JP compared to the qb's you just mentioned.Simply annointing JP to be the starter is what caused all these problems in the first place. I don't think they want to make the same mistake the last regime made.

Ask Mikey, KH was outplaying JP at camp and the players saw that too.

ICE74129
02-14-2006, 05:16 PM
Precisely. He's just throwing the media a bone.

The right thing to say is 'I haven't seen enough of either of them yet to even comment on the subject. This is an issue that will resolve it's self in camp'.

that is what good coaches say. Not some bull sh#@ that makes it look like holcomb is going to get the job and JP Sucks. 'Make or break year' for QB's in year 3? where? college? it sure as hell isn't in the pros. If so holcomb should be at home doing something else.

justasportsfan
02-14-2006, 05:16 PM

JP, unlike Leaf, actually has some talent around him. This is the perfect situation for a young QB assuming Willis decides he wants to play next season. Even without Spikes we have a pretty damn good Defense, and we have two of the best young players in the league on Offense (Evans and McGahee.)

What we lack on the OL JP can make up for with his feet (unlike Leaf.) BTW, who says we dont go out and pick up a hell of an Offensive Line in this years draft? Marv has a brain in his head, unlike Donahoe and will draft based on need, not whoever is the best player on the board. Lets give it some time before we start comparing JP to Rojo or Leaf. The guy has only started 5 games for godsake.
the point I am trying to make is that players are not guaranteed to make it in the NFL. If Marv and Dick annoints Jp and it blows up in their face, they did nothing different from what TD and co. did.

ICE74129
02-14-2006, 05:19 PM
Marv and Jauron were not the ones who drafted JP compared to the qb's you just mentioned.Simply annointing JP to be the starter is what caused all these problems in the first place. I don't think they want to make the same mistake the last regime made.

Ask Mikey, KH was outplaying JP at camp and the players saw that too.

Actually all reports had JP outplaying holcomb. Saw it myself even. many articles, camp updates blah blah blah saying how JP was tearing our defense apart. Now we know why, the defense sucked.

those who have brains know annointing JP the starter was never the problem. The team holding up their end and doing thier jobs was the problem. Where was that #2 ranked great defense this year? It never showed up. Where was that improved OL and great run game? Never showed either...even with holcomb in there.

JP = convieniant scape goat for a ****@y team. And that is all there is too it.

ICE74129
02-14-2006, 05:20 PM
the point I am trying to make is that players are not guaranteed to make it in the NFL. If Marv and Dick annoints Jp and it blows up in their face, they did nothing different from what TD and co. did.

No players are not guarenteed to make it in the NFL. and screwing them really lessens that chance doesnt' it. here is a thought. Put that guy in a possition to succeed THEN Make a decision. Good teams do that...then there are the Bills.

justasportsfan
02-14-2006, 05:23 PM
Actually all reports had JP outplaying holcomb. Saw it myself even. many articles, camp updates blah blah blah saying how JP was tearing our defense apart. Now we know why, the defense sucked.

those who have brains know annointing JP the starter was never the problem. The team holding up their end and doing thier jobs was the problem. Where was that #2 ranked great defense this year? It never showed up. Where was that improved OL and great run game? Never showed either...even with holcomb in there.

JP = convieniant scape goat for a ****@y team. And that is all there is too it. I guess we were at camp on different days :D. What's funny is that other than Tacklingdummy no one is blaming JP for his not being preparded. You only interpret it that way. Just because we are not willing to blame KH for his flaws as well , we are either JP haters or Holcombites in your eyes.

ChristopherWalken
02-14-2006, 05:24 PM
The right thing to say is 'I haven't seen enough of either of them yet to even comment on the subject. This is an issue that will resolve it's self in camp'.

that is what good coaches say. Not some bull sh#@ that makes it look like holcomb is going to get the job and JP Sucks. 'Make or break year' for QB's in year 3? where? college? it sure as hell isn't in the pros. If so holcomb should be at home doing something else.

Interpretation is everything.

ICE74129
02-14-2006, 05:25 PM
I guess we were at camp on different days :D. What's funny is that other than Tacklingdummy no one is blaming JP for his not being preparded. You only interpret it that way. Just because we are not willing to blame KH for his flaws as well , we are either JP haters or Holcombites in your eyes.

Of course, holcomb is your savior.

justasportsfan
02-14-2006, 05:25 PM
No players are not guarenteed to make it in the NFL. and screwing them really lessens that chance doesnt' it. here is a thought. Put that guy in a possition to succeed THEN Make a decision. Good teams do that...then there are the Bills.I won't disagree with you. I've stated several times that TD and co. put him in a situation to fail. I am not ready to say the same about Marv and co. just yet but you already seem to have made a decsion based on that quote.

justasportsfan
02-14-2006, 05:26 PM
Of course, holcomb is your savior. exhibit A. :crazy: You're so predictable coach.

Mr. Cynical
02-14-2006, 08:47 PM
See my sig.

TigerJ
02-14-2006, 11:18 PM
If Jauron is intending to start Holcomb, then the Bills had better draft a QB on day one because Losman's career will virtually be over in Buffalo. Losman will not have the chance to develop before his rookie contract runs out, and he will bolt in free agency the first chance he gets.

G. Host
02-14-2006, 11:55 PM
Maybe he will trade him for QB of future while he has perceived value.

ddaryl
02-15-2006, 01:49 AM
If the Bills are seriously considering KH as the starter then IMO we need to bring another QB to compete. If were going to deny reps to the young unproven QB, then it should be with a QB who has something else besides a noodle for an arm. I mean competition is good, and I have 0 faith in KH. As a backup KH is ok, he's a change of pace guy. As a starter he's Doug Flutie. He'll get you a few wins and cover up some short comings for a team, but in the end all teams will be able to successfully gameplan against him, and he'll never take you deep into the playoffs. That's just not a worth while situation IMO

gr8slayer
02-15-2006, 07:14 AM
But sometimes in the league you have to gamble. It would not destroy the Marv and Dick legacy if they left JP in there all year and he sucked. Hey, at least they would know that QB is their main priority in the off-season.

You will never know what you have in a guy untill he gets the chance to play.

Why is it everyone forgets some of the great throws JP had last season? Does everyone forget the Houston game? KC game? Hell he even did well in Miami? Did pretty good against Carolina and SD too.

The guy has all the potential in the world, he is just raw. Untill we let him cook for a full season, he will always be raw.

gr8slayer
02-15-2006, 07:15 AM
What the hell do we have to lose by playing Losman? We are the joke of the NFL right now anyway. Well either be an even bigger joke or well prove all the nay-sayers WRONG.

madness
02-15-2006, 08:21 AM

But sometimes in the league you have to gamble. It would not destroy the Marv and Dick legacy if they left JP in there all year and he sucked. Hey, at least they would know that QB is their main priority in the off-season.

Why is it everyone forgets some of the great throws JP had last season? Does everyone forget the Houston game? KC game? Hell he even did well in Miami? Did pretty good against Carolina and SD too.

The guy has all the potential in the world, he is just raw. Untill we let him cook for a full season, he will always be raw.

"Nothing should just be handed to somebody," Losman said. "Competition only breeds a better team and a better player.

:rofl: JP needs to school his fans.

ICE74129
02-15-2006, 08:52 AM
"Nothing should just be handed to somebody," Losman said. "Competition only breeds a better team and a better player.

:rofl: JP needs to school his fans.

that was a dumbassed comment. What is he supposed to say?

justasportsfan
02-15-2006, 08:52 AM

The guy has all the potential in the world, he is just raw. Untill we let him cook for a full season, he will always be raw.I agree they have to gamble. But are you gonna gamble on a guy you never saw at camp and didn't even draft in the first place? Let Marv and Dick check JP out first before they make any decisions.

ICE74129
02-15-2006, 08:55 AM
What the hell do we have to lose by playing Losman? We are the joke of the NFL right now anyway. Well either be an even bigger joke or well prove all the nay-sayers WRONG.

I am damn near to the point that I hope JP leaves and wins a superbowl within a couple years after leaving. Maybe then the moronic fanbase will STFU and get a clue.

You are dead on though slayer, DJ And Marv have nothing to lose and everything to gain by giving JP this entire next year. This is a two year process to get back to contending. See what JP has. If he doesn't have it, then the TEAM has a full year in the system. Bring in another Vet worth a damn (NOT FUGGIN HOLCOMB) make a few more upgrades personel wise and we are ready to run.

IF it works out, now you have a good young QB that will lead you for 5-7 years.

madness
02-15-2006, 09:03 AM
I am damn near to the point that I hope JP leaves. Maybe then I will STFU and get a clue.

That sounds about right. Seriosly, all this whining and crying is going to amount to nothing. JP and KH will go into camp battling for the job, JP will progress because of this and be named starter for the season. I bet he'll have a very good season because of the new and improved O & D schemes and everyone will live happily ever after. Then we can all sit around and watch you run around like a nut, yelling "I told you bastards!" at the top of your lungs.

justasportsfan
02-15-2006, 09:09 AM
I am damn near to the point that I hope JP leaves and wins a superbowl within a couple years after leaving. Maybe then the moronic fanbase will STFU and get a clue. That's not such a bad idea as long as you follow him to wherever he goes :earpoke:

ICE74129
02-15-2006, 10:08 AM
That sounds about right. Seriosly, all this whining and crying is going to amount to nothing. JP and KH will go into camp battling for the job, JP will progress because of this and be named starter for the season. I bet he'll have a very good season because of the new and improved O & D schemes and everyone will live happily ever after. Then we can all sit around and watch you run around like a nut, yelling "I told you bastards!" at the top of your lungs.

Need to modify my post huh? LMAO pathetic wimps.

Mitchy moo
02-15-2006, 12:00 PM
I think JP deserves a chance to play & it might start clicking for him as well.

madness
02-15-2006, 12:03 PM
Need to modify my post huh? LMAO pathetic wimps.

I'm not the one doing all the whining and crying. JP will get a fair shot and will most likely take advantage of it. Now stop misinterpreting everything and get over it already.

McBFLO
02-15-2006, 12:11 PM
"You have a veteran quarterback in Kelly, who is comfortable with his game," Jauron said. "J.P. is a young quarterback and plays like one. ... He needs to be better for what he went though last year."

I also talk with ed Kilgore. He said that DJ says this is JP's 3rd season. That is usually a make or break year for QB's.

good thing Sandiego didn't think that huh?

JP's 3rd year? huh? Well lets see...

Year one, on the bench due to an injury supplied by a dumb assed vet. Then no reps hardly at all to keep Bledsoe from being pissed.

Year two. Gets 4 games in which the entire team did nothing. so MM, TD and Emo and the rest of the vets hang the seasons issues completely on him.

Year 3, Aledgedly he is going to be allowed to 'compete' for the job. Well it sounds to me like DJ has already made up his mind and will insert holcomb as the starter. Remember 'one will be named going into camp'. Ok so if you name one going into camp and he gets the bulk of the reps, how is guy #2 supposed to have a shot to 'compete'?

It isn't JP per say, it is the fact this 'kid' (insert some name here) has busted his ass, lived IN BUFFALO, embraced the city and worked his ass off. the only problem he has is a lack of experience and the team flat sucked last year. So for working his ass off he gets punished by the media, fanbase and the coaching staff...errr...now possibly TWO Coaching staffs.

I hope the som ***** is smart enough to get the hell outta town. This org is going to screw up what might be one hell of a career.

And regardless of if you like JP or not, inserting holcomb as our starter is going to fugg us 50 ways to Sunday. He isn't going to get it done and anyone with a brain knows it. it scares me that they are talking of holcomb starting instead of bringing in another, younger, stronger armed vet who might still improve to compete for the job.:bf1: Unfortunately, I agree with you.

Michael82
02-15-2006, 12:52 PM

If Holcomb is named the starter and handed it before camp, I will already move Dick Jauron to the level of Mike Mularkey and criticize the hell out of him for every single bad move and that honeymoon they always get will already be gone before the year begins. :mad:

Novacane
02-15-2006, 02:26 PM
Holcomb blows as a starter. If JP can't beat him out then dump both of them and start from scratch

Bill Cody
02-15-2006, 04:13 PM
Well it sounds to me like DJ has already made up his mind and will insert holcomb as the starter. Remember 'one will be named going into camp'.

I've never tried it, is it big fun to just make random things up based on nothing?:fishing:

TacklingDummy
02-16-2006, 06:12 AM

What we lack on the OL JP can make up for with his feet (unlike Leaf.)

But its ok to compare JP to Elway, Manning, Palmer?

Until JP plays like Elway, Palmer, Manning (which will never happen) he will be compared to the Leafs, Akili Smiths, Heath Shulers of football.

Those feet you are talking about were sacked 20+ times compared to 14 times with Holcomb undercenter.

If you can't read a defense you will be sacked. Just like RJ and David Carr.

TacklingDummy
02-16-2006, 06:15 AM
I am damn near to the point that I hope JP leaves and wins a superbowl within a couple years after leaving. Maybe then the moronic fanbase will STFU and get a clue.

The only way JP wins a Super Bowl is the same way his clone Rob Johnson did. On the bench.

Philagape
02-16-2006, 07:56 AM
I like Holcomb.

As a backup.

As a starter .... :puke:

The_Philster
02-16-2006, 05:34 PM
I've never tried it, is it big fun to just make random things up based on nothing?:fishing:
must be...personally, I have a lot more faith in JP than ICE does...JP can win the job

LifetimeBillsFan
02-17-2006, 08:54 AM
ICE, my interpretation of Jauron's remarks are not nearly as negative with regard to JP Losman as yours--especially in light of Steve Fairchild's Q & A on BB.com.

As I see it, Marv Levy, Dick Jauron and Steve Fairchild only know what they have seen on film of JP and Holcomb and what they have heard about JP's work habits last year because they really haven't had a chance to work or talk in depth with either guy. On that basis, they know that they don't know enough yet about either guy to name one a starter, especially not after last year's lockerroom revolt that killed the Bills' season. While naming Holcomb the starter at this point would not cause a problem with the team, they know that if they were to name JP the starter they would run the risk of repeating last year's disaster. So, they are not naming anyone the starter and are loudly proclaiming that there will be a competition for the starting spot, just so that no one can say later on that there wasn't one.

By saying that JP has to improve and learn from his mistakes last season, they are simply stating the obvious: if he doesn't, well, then he doesn't deserve to be named the starter. JP knows that and I'm sure he would agree with that--in fact, I'd bet that he would be very upset with himself if he could do that! By stating this publicly in an interview in the manner that he did, Jauron is killing two birds with one stone: on the one hand, he is reassuring the rest of the players that he has certain expectations of JP and that he is not openly favoring him, while, on the other hand, he is trying to "light a fire" under JP and motivate him to continue to work his butt off to get better and come into the mini-camps prepared. As someone who claims to be a coach, you should know what that is all about--coaches do it all of the time at virtually every position.

And, finally, by stating openly that the team will go into training camp with a starting QB penciled in, based on what the coaches see from Losman and Holcomb in the mini-camps, Jauron is simply stating openly what you, yourself, have proclaimed is and would be the case: the coaches are going to make a decision on who they are going to give the majority of the reps to before training camp starts. And, what Jauron is stating is that this decision will largely be made on what they see from the two QBs in the mini-camps. Again, that shouldn't be considered earth-shattering news either.

What is note-worthy is not what Jauron and Fairchild said about JP so much as what was said and not said about Holcomb. And, here again, while stating the obvious, Jauron gave an indication of what his thought-process in making this decision is going to be. Obviously, "Holcomb is a veteran who is comfortable with his game"--he's been around long enough to know his limitations and be more comfortable with doing the things that he has been doing for all of these years. He should be. That should give Holcomb a big advantage over Losman in any competition between them, but that's not what Jauron said: Jauron did not give Holcomb any advantage. Instead, what Jauron did was tweak JP by stating that JP is still learning and has to learn from the mistakes he made and get better. Of course, that's obvious: if JP doesn't get better and learn from his mistakes--if he sulks about being screwed by his teammates last season or throws in the towel and figures that he can just sit on the bench and collect a paycheck until his contract runs out and he can leave town for a better situation--then JP won't deserve to get the starting QB job going into training camp. That's a "no-brainer"!

But, by not giving Holcomb an edge and by telling JP pretty bluntly what he needs to do in order to win the job going into training camp, Jauron is already indicating that he's trying to motivate JP to get his act together so that he CAN win the job in the mini-camps. And, just by doing that, he is indicating that he wants JP to show enough in the mini-camps to merit being named the starter going into training camp. Jauron didn't go out of his way to motivate Holcomb or tell Holcomb what he needs to do to win the job the way he did with Losman.

Now, the fact that Jauron did that by apparently stating Losman's short-comings makes it impossible for anyone in the lockerroom to say that Jauron and Co., are favoring JP or handing him the job. Quite the contrary--on the surface, Jauron's words seem to be more critical of JP than anything else. But, when you look at just what Jauron was saying, it wasn't as negative as it appears because, what Jauron said that JP had to do to win the job was nothing more than what JP OBVIOUSLY needs to do in order to be able to be a decent starting QB in the NFL--which I'm sure is what JP's goal is in the first place!

And, as for stating that it's Losman's 3rd year and that this is a critical year and that it is one that a player has to show that he is advancing and going forward, that is right out of Marv Levy's book! Marv has stated that he believes that by the third year a player should be able to contribute to the team. Obviously, this is Losman's 3rd season and it is, indeed, time for him to start showing that his game is advancing and going forward, not regressing. No team can afford to have a young QB--that it has invested it future in--fail to show some progress in his game in his 3rd season: he must get better and continue to get better. And, the Bills cannot afford to have Losman fail to get better this year--especially if he is going to be their starting QB this season. Obviously, if JP is going to be the Bills' starting QB this season and in the future, he is going to have to get better than he was last year and show the coaches and team that he is progressing--if he doesn't, then he doesn't deserve to start over Holcomb and he isn't the QB of the future because he's no longer a first year guy and his performance last season wasn't good enough. Now, we could argue about whether he got enough playing time last season, etc. (I think he should have started every game he was physically able to play), but that is now "water under the bridge". JP has to show these coaches and his teammates that he has learned and is going to continue to get better--that is something that any coaching staff would require of any young player, especially a young QB. That's not a difficult standard to require of JP and I would bet that it is one that JP, personally, expects himself to meet and exceed. So, once again, I would not look at this as being an indication that Jauron favors Holcomb over Losman in any sense. On the contrary, I see it as Jauron sending Losman a message about what he expects from him if JP is going to win this competition in mini-camp--a message that Jauron, conspicuously, did not send to Holcomb.

As I read their comments, I believe that Levy, Jauron and Fairchild want JP to show them enough to justify being named the starting QB going into training camp, but they know that they cannot come out and say that openly because of the lockerroom revolt that happened last season (they know that they probably cannot get rid of and replace every vet who agreed with E.Moulds so they are going to have to work around them). If JP is ever going to become good enough to lead the Bills anywhere, the criteria that Jauron has set as the standard for him to meet is not only obvious, but, realistically, a minimum standard that JP, himself, probably already expects to be able to exceed. By no means would I interpret their comments as being an indication that they favor Holcomb or have already decided that Holcomb should be their starting QB going into training camp.

BTW: Since you don't know the personal histories and backgrounds of all of the individuals who post here, ICE, it is quite presumptuous to assume that you have a vastly superior knowledge of the game or experience in the game to the other posters here: there are some who have played the game at a high level, some who have coached, some who have or are working for NFL teams, and some who have access to people who have played and coached on the college and pro level. If you have some knowledge and experience, that's wonderful, share your views, but just because you do, don't assume that others with similar or even greater knowledge and experience must agree with you or cannot have a different take on things. Your knowledge and experience, whatever it is, does not give you the right to call people who may disagree with you "morons", etc., or to demean them or their viewpoint--you can disagree without being disagreeable. And, just remember that when you ASSUME, you make us both something not very nice and, frankly, I resent when you do that--to me or to anyone else here. You will "catch more flies" and gain more respect "with a little sugar than with vinegar"--a little courtesy and respect will go a long way, especially when you don't really know all of the people you are talking to....

mysticsoto
02-17-2006, 09:16 AM
Excellent analysis as usual, LTBF. I have been thinking much along the same lines and wanted to post my thoughts, but haven't had time to sit down and put them together in a single post to discuss. I pretty much agree with all you said. I think Jauron cannot call JP out and favor him in any way, yet by doing what he is doing, he continues to to allow JP to put pressure on himself to get better. We all know that JP is a Type A personality, and when he feels challenged, is when he will try his hardest and step up to the plate. Remember that last year, he tended to play better when he was angry and/or had a chip on his shoulder. He knows he has to earn it, and I'm pretty sure he's going to show people what he is really capable of this year. With a better line (hopefully) to protect him, he just might turn some heads!