PDA

View Full Version : NFL hopes to run delay on 'season'

G. Host
02-14-2006, 08:19 PM
The NFL free agent market is scheduled to open March 3, but it could be pushed back until April 1 if there is enough progress made in the next couple of weeks in negotiations for an extension of the collective bargaining agreement.

According to a source with knowledge of the talks, there have been advances in some areas since the Super Bowl ended 10 days ago that could lead to a delay in free agency. The NFL and the union still have a very long way to go, but the sense of urgency has intensified. The dance, for now, hasn't changed: One step forward, two steps back.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/story/391101p-331763c.html

Will the union agree to just delay contracts especially those huge bonuses due March 3?

Typ0
02-14-2006, 08:22 PM
it seems to me if they try and side step this they would just be making a very complicated negotiation much more complicated. Sure it would look good that something was happening...but then they would have a lot more ripples to iron out to really arrive at a solid agreement that will allow the league to move into the future.

OpIv37
02-14-2006, 08:25 PM
as long as they don't delay kick-off they can do whatever they want. Rich players negotiating with richer owners doesn't particularly interest me.

Dozerdog
02-14-2006, 09:22 PM
This would be huge. That leaves only 20 days for teams to aggresively pursue what few free agents are in the field.

Teams counting on filling holes with FAcy will have to toss bigger bucks- plus it may throw a few draft boards out of whack.

You know the NFL may sacrefice additional revenue toward the cap to get it done sooner than later. The cap ceiling might be a lot bigger than expected. Thus, i think franchising Clements and keeping Moulds are a lot more likely

Michael82
02-15-2006, 01:06 PM
This would be huge. That leaves only 20 days for teams to aggresively pursue what few free agents are in the field.

Teams counting on filling holes with FAcy will have to toss bigger bucks- plus it may throw a few draft boards out of whack.

You know the NFL may sacrefice additional revenue toward the cap to get it done sooner than later. The cap ceiling might be a lot bigger than expected. Thus, i think franchising Clements and keeping Moulds are a lot more likely
yeah, thats what I see too. Pretty scary if it gets moved to April. But wow...what a month that will be....

Free Agency, Draft, and the New Schedule gets released. It will be like Christmas! :drool: :clap:

kgun12
02-15-2006, 01:09 PM

I agree, but with all the change our coaching staff has gone through it gives us more time to decide which way to go on certain players.

ICE74129
02-15-2006, 01:29 PM

It will really screw teams like the Bills. New GM with NO Experience, new HC etc. Now we have to try and fill needs in FA only a couple weeks or so before the draft? We will have to duke it out with other teams money wise, jacking up the market making it less likely we improve our roster via FA.

then like you said, this will fugg several draft boards. Normally they have at least 6 weeks to hit FA and try to iron out thier rosters before addressing additional needs in the draft.

This is just another way for the NFLPA and the NFL to screw crap up.

Saratoga Slim
02-15-2006, 01:57 PM
then again, it might screw things up even more if FAs ink long contracts before the CBA is settled. If the NFL and NFLPA legitimately think an extra week will allow them to get a CBA in place, I'm OK with it. We obviously need a new CBA, and moving the FA schedule may put some pressure on the sides to get it done. I don't think one week is that big a deal IF they get the CBA settled. If they move it by a week and DON'T sign a new CBA, then I'll be pissed.

that said, it sure does suck to wait another week. we're running out of things to talk about around here.

ICE74129
02-15-2006, 02:00 PM
If the NFL and NFLPA legitimately think an extra week will allow them to get a CBA in place,
that said, it sure does suck to wait another week. we're running out of things to talk about around here.

Try MONTH! March 3rd to April 1st. It puts it off by basicly a month. that screws teams in regards to their draft boards. Now you will have teams over paying to outbid other teams so their rosters are set as much as possible before trying to address other needs in the draft.