• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yasgur's Farm
    • Feb 2005

"open competition" may not be what you think

Link defining open competition
    "Somebody will be named heading into camp, but there is always going to be competition,"

-DJ
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Re: "open competition" may not be what you think

D buddy someone here said 'there is no such thing as QB competition'. I was told last night that DJ will do the following....

1) JP will get every chance possible to 'win' the job.

2) the starter will be named BEFORE the July Camp starts based on the coaches eval through the offseason since we get an extra camp since we have a new HC.

DJ will make up his mind quicky. he understands there are very few reps with the starters to devide it up between two guys.

Comment

• gr8slayer
      • Feb 2005

"QB Competition" is just Jauron telling the media what they want to hear. He is no moron, he knows that the job is JP's to lose.

Comment

• Iehoshua
        • Jan 2003

"Open competition" is the fodder coaches feed to the media who may question which QB on the roster should start. Put Rob Johnson in an open competition during camp/practice, and he probably beats lots of QBs. Put Rob Johnson into a game and he folds like a cheap suit. You can't make a clear determination until they play, and if it's with a young QB like ours, you have to give him the keys to the car. That's the chance you take in developing players. After a few years, either he'll catch on and develop, or he won't, simple as that. The complicated part is for fans to understand he needs more than a few games here or there.

Joe Gibbs created this illusion in DC, even starting Ramsey since he looked better in camp and practice apparently. Then, when the first opportunity came, Ramsey leaving the game injured, he pulled the plug. Ramsey could've went back in but Joe kept the QB he wanted to start.

Hence, the coach is going to start whomever he chooses. He'll might create some fantasy duel between QBs on his roster, but it's all a smokescreen.

Comment

• feelthepain
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Mar 2005

I hope the FO puts pressure on Juron to play JP because I think Holcomb is the better QB.

Comment

• Iehoshua
            • Jan 2003

If teams really watched how QBs practiced, then why didn't Tom Brady blow Bill Belichick away to the point where he benched Bledsoe outright?

How come Jake Delhomme's skills were never truly put to the test in NO?

Is it possible that how a QB practices doesn't necessarily translate to his play and composure on the field? I believe the answer is yes.

Comment

• ICE74129
              Legendary Zoner
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Darth Takeo
              If teams really watched how QBs practiced, then why didn't Tom Brady blow Bill Belichick away to the point where he benched Bledsoe outright?

How come Jake Delhomme's skills were never truly put to the test in NO?

Is it possible that how a QB practices doesn't necessarily translate to his play and composure on the field? I believe the answer is yes.
              Oh my DT, don't hit these guys with fact. I mean surely a guy that led his team to a superbowl then another NFC Championship after winning the QB challenge this summer, could beat out Aaron Brooks in a 'QB competition' in Saints camp right?

Good one DT. These guys will see soon enough.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by feelthepain
                I hope the FO puts pressure on Juron to play JP because I think Holcomb is the better QB.
                Incase your brain doesnt work fast enough to figure it out. No one here cares what you think.

Comment

• Michael82
                  • Jul 2002

Comment

• ICE74129
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Feb 2005

wasn't that JP torching your secondary for 3 TD's in the first quarter this year? Lucky for you that fuggin moron for a HC who is now your OC (I can't wait to face you clowns 2X per year now ) had his typical brain meltdown and called off the dogs or JP would have had about 6-7 TD's on your worthless asses.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
                      wasn't that JP torching your secondary for 3 TD's in the first quarter this year? Lucky for you that fuggin moron for a HC who is now your OC (I can't wait to face you clowns 2X per year now ) had his typical brain meltdown and called off the dogs or JP would have had about 6-7 TD's on your worthless asses.
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• ICE74129
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Feb 2005

God I love ignore

Comment

Working...
                        X