PDA

View Full Version : Fairchild Q&A on NFL.com

Jeff1220
02-16-2006, 09:56 AM
http://www.nfl.com/features/squibkicks

Buffalo's new offensive coordinator, Steve Fairchild, is a busy man these days. Entrusted with resurrecting a Bills' offense that finished 28th last season, Fairchild is diligently assessing the current personnel on the roster on tape.

How does it feel to come back to Buffalo? Is there a sense in your mind that there's unfinished business here for you?
"It feels good just because I know a lot of the people, and what good people there are in this building and what a good organization it is. I also have a real good feeling about the talent level and maybe the kind of team we'll have next year."

You developed a strong running game background while coaching at Colorado State and you worked under Mike Martz in St. Louis, gaining valuable knowledge of a proven deep passing game. Do you believe you can find a way to combine the two schools of thought into one system?
"I think everybody does that to some degree. It's just picking what you want to try to accomplish within the system. I think teams that run the ball still try to throw it deep and passing teams still try to run it. It's just a matter of us finding that right mix and the identity of who we are."

Might some of the deep passing game principles need to be compromised knowing you'll be playing at least 10 of your 16 games every year in outdoor stadiums in the northeast instead of half in an indoor stadium in St. Louis?
"I don't know if 'compromised' is the right word. I think you always try to have that explosive element in your offense, regardless of the conditions. However, I think anytime you talk to anybody about playing in the AFC East, having a good, solid run game has to be a foundation."

Coach Jauron has mentioned that he'd prefer a system that is easily understood and executed by his players with the turnover of the roster from year to year. What does a coordinator need to do to accomplish that?
"Well, the No. 1 thing everyone wants is strong execution. To get that we have to focus on the things we do well. As a staff we'll be able to assess those things that have the greatest chance for success once we become more familiar with the personnel on the roster."

Are you anticipating a quarterback competition in training camp, or will one of the quarterbacks be deemed the starter based on the work in the spring camps?
"There is always competition in any setting in football. I think we'll work toward determining who could be the starter in the offseason, but there's competition at every position."

Jeff1220
02-16-2006, 10:01 AM
More on BB.com here: http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3604

justasportsfan
02-16-2006, 10:31 AM
It's gonna be cold in this thread soon.

Buckets
02-16-2006, 11:21 AM
It's gonna be cold in this thread soon.

You mean Icey?

G. Host
02-16-2006, 06:17 PM
Frostbite is overrated. I prefer a amicable chat in front of a warm fireplace myself.