PDA

View Full Version : A must read for NFL Draft Fans-News on Ngata and others

Bmax
02-16-2006, 06:19 PM
Well it looks like Ngata will work at the combine. Here is a link to how has workouts have been going...As expected Look out for a great workout at the combime which will valut him into the top 10 easy maybe higher...

Bmax

Go Bills

http://nfldraft.scout.com/2/499194.html

Tatonka
02-16-2006, 06:54 PM
i am getting no article.. says click here to read more, then takes me to a "pick your favorite teams" page where you have to pick the billsinsider and pay.

Bmax
02-16-2006, 07:00 PM
ok .. here is the info...

By TFY Draft Preview

Date: Feb 13, 2006

Less then two weeks away, the NFL combine looms large as we move closer to April's draft. As expected, several of the nation's top prospects are in full preparation and there has been some surprising pre-combine news.

Prospects have gathered at major training facilities across the nation. The results pouring out gives us an expected preview of what will happen in the RCA Dome.

Looking very fit, Oregon defensive tackle Haloti Ngata is expected to take part in the complete combine routine. Weighing 340-pounds, Ngata has checked in under 11% body fat, an incredibly low number for a man his size. Putting his power to use, Ngata has consistently pushed up 38-to-39 repetitions on the bench and hopes to break 40 at the end of this month.

Ohio State linebacker A.J. Hawk has been even more impressive in training. Tipping the scales at 248-pounds, 15-more then his playing weight, Hawk measured just 7.8% body fat. Running forty's consistently under 4.60, one source called Hawk a "defensive back in a linebackers body".

Florida Gator receiver Chad Jackson has also been very fast, running under 4.40 (4.39 to be exact) in the forty. Jackson weight has hovered around 207-pounds while his body fat has been an incredible 1.5%. The Jacksonville Jaguars, Miami Dolphins and Denver Broncos have shown significant interest in the talented wide out.

Tight end David Thomas has been running well at 249-pounds, heavier than his playing weight. While Georgia Tech linebacker Gerris Wilkerson has clocked in the low 4.5's at 238-pounds.

Teams are narrowing down target lists and we're getting a better idea who'll they are considering in April's seven rounds.

The Detroit Lions have shown plenty of interest in Jay Cutler and could use their first pick on the Vanderbilt quarterback. Some feel Matt Millen needs to take a player that will help him win immediately but others think the quarterback situation in the Motor City is desperate.

Kamerion Wimbley had a four hour visit with the Houston Texans recently, an unusually long interview for a team unlikely to select another Florida State defensive lineman.

With the team likely to lose Darren Howard in free agency, the New Orleans Saints have an interest in Quince Holman. Like Howard, the quick defender from Northern Illinois is undersized yet very athletic.

Bmax

Tatonka
02-16-2006, 07:10 PM
i wouldnt be unhappy if ngata worked out so well that he moved up past us in the first round.

ICE74129
02-16-2006, 07:16 PM
i wouldnt be unhappy if ngata worked out so well that he moved up past us in the first round.

Why? He fills a glaring need. Unless we re structure Adams and sign a good DT in FA (And I don't see any that are available) we need Ngata.

I say draft Ngata, Sign Darren howard to supplant the 'high motor' Duo of denny and kelsay and we have a damn solid line.

Slim
02-16-2006, 07:22 PM
Why? He fills a glaring need. Unless we re structure Adams and sign a good DT in FA (And I don't see any that are available) we need Ngata..

Ted Washington, Grady Jackson or Larry Triplett.

X-Era
02-16-2006, 07:40 PM
Well it looks like Ngata will work at the combine. Here is a link to how has workouts have been going...As expected Look out for a great workout at the combime which will valut him into the top 10 easy maybe higher...

Bmax

Go Bills

http://nfldraft.scout.com/2/499194.html

I honestly hope he does great.

Because the Ngata fans will STILL clamor for him if he doesnt.

Id like to see more people be onboard with this guy (like me) if he does in fact do well.

If he doesnt though, hes a reach and we should look elsewhere

Tatonka
02-16-2006, 08:02 PM
damien lewis and ryan picket from st louis are two guys i would be interested.

also, there are several other good DTs in the draft.. guys that may be there in the 2nd.

rodrique wright and gabe watson are two guys that could be had in the 2nd round, along with claude wroten (although he doesnt really fit what we need).

in later rounds there is also dusty dvoracek.

funny thing is this.. ngata is "clearly" the best based on what? he stats were ok.. he is strong but not WAY stronger than the other two guys i like, wright and watson, and he is faster by .10 or .20 of a second in the 40 yard dash. let me ask you this... how friggen often are DTs that are there to stop the run have to do a 40 yard dash? either they stop the RB at the line or they dont.

wright and watson have both been called out for being inconsistent, but ngata is the model of that.. have any of you actually ever seen ngata do anything? because every nationally televised game he has ever played in, he has done absolutely squat.. on top of that.. he has an injury history.. i big guy with a bad knee..

if any of you watched the senior bowl workouts, you saw gabe watson abuse some of the best guards and centers coming out this year.. he can play.. some think he has bust potential.. but i think ngata does as well..

i personally would rather see us use the 1st pick on something else and go with watson in the 2nd. but that is just me. i wont freak out if ngata is the pick, but i just am not super high on the guy.

Bmax
02-16-2006, 09:06 PM
Wroten was busted for trying to sell weed...chronic, ganja man jah no...He bee clean in jail ya rude boy.... Ok....watch Nfl access tonight Mike Mayock breaks down the def line ...

Bmax

Tatonka
02-16-2006, 09:11 PM
wroten was cleared of all charges regarding weed..

even if he wasnt.. weed really hurt moss and sapp too.. look how that worked out.

Dozerdog
02-16-2006, 09:29 PM
Unless the draft gets really wacky early- there will be a stud at a Buffalo need position at #8

This draft overall is top heavy but weak in the later rounds

ICE74129
02-16-2006, 09:42 PM
Wroten was busted for trying to sell weed...chronic, ganja man jah no...He bee clean in jail ya rude boy.... Ok....watch Nfl access tonight Moke mayock breaks down the def line ...

Bmax

I watched it and he agreed as to why Ngata was number one.

ICE74129
02-16-2006, 09:44 PM
wroten was cleared of all charges regarding weed..

even if he wasnt.. weed really hurt moss and sapp too.. look how that worked out.

And Marv won't touch him. 'Talent without charicter means losing' Or something to that effect.

X-Era
02-16-2006, 10:04 PM
Wroten was busted for trying to sell weed...chronic, ganja man jah no...He bee clean in jail ya rude boy.... Ok....watch Nfl access tonight Moke mayock breaks down the def line ...

Bmax

I think its a mistake to be stuck on any position at 8, much less any specific player.

ParanoidAndroid
02-16-2006, 10:27 PM
ok .. here is the info...

By TFY Draft Preview

Date: Feb 13, 2006

Less then two weeks away, the NFL combine looms large as we move closer to April's draft. As expected, several of the nation's top prospects are in full preparation and there has been some surprising pre-combine news.

Prospects have gathered at major training facilities across the nation. The results pouring out gives us an expected preview of what will happen in the RCA Dome.

Looking very fit, Oregon defensive tackle Haloti Ngata is expected to take part in the complete combine routine. Weighing 340-pounds, Ngata has checked in under 11% body fat, an incredibly low number for a man his size. Putting his power to use, Ngata has consistently pushed up 38-to-39 repetitions on the bench and hopes to break 40 at the end of this month.

Ohio State linebacker A.J. Hawk has been even more impressive in training. Tipping the scales at 248-pounds, 15-more then his playing weight, Hawk measured just 7.8% body fat. Running forty's consistently under 4.60, one source called Hawk a "defensive back in a linebackers body".

Florida Gator receiver Chad Jackson has also been very fast, running under 4.40 (4.39 to be exact) in the forty. Jackson weight has hovered around 207-pounds while his body fat has been an incredible 1.5%. The Jacksonville Jaguars, Miami Dolphins and Denver Broncos have shown significant interest in the talented wide out.

Tight end David Thomas has been running well at 249-pounds, heavier than his playing weight. While Georgia Tech linebacker Gerris Wilkerson has clocked in the low 4.5's at 238-pounds.

Teams are narrowing down target lists and we're getting a better idea who'll they are considering in April's seven rounds.

The Detroit Lions have shown plenty of interest in Jay Cutler and could use their first pick on the Vanderbilt quarterback. Some feel Matt Millen needs to take a player that will help him win immediately but others think the quarterback situation in the Motor City is desperate.

Kamerion Wimbley had a four hour visit with the Houston Texans recently, an unusually long interview for a team unlikely to select another Florida State defensive lineman.

With the team likely to lose Darren Howard in free agency, the New Orleans Saints have an interest in Quince Holman. Like Howard, the quick defender from Northern Illinois is undersized yet very athletic.

Bmax
I realize that you are just relaying the info, first of all...this is all on the writers of the article.
Let's talk about these body fat reports...11% for Ngata would be absolutely incredible although I would bet he's closer to 13% or so.
7.8% for Hawk I might believe, which is a very good number for an athelete.
1.5% for Jackson is absolutely false. He would be considered malnourished and would likely need hospitalization.

tampabay25690
02-16-2006, 10:43 PM
I think the BILLS will trade this pick to a team that wants to move up..........I say the Bills move to say 15-20th pick possibly.....Which is fine with me I think the Bills can still get a OT and DT starter in the 1st 2 rounds of this draft......

I love MArcus McNeil OT from AUburn and I think he will be available later in round 1....

kgun12
02-16-2006, 11:22 PM

also, there are several other good DTs in the draft.. guys that may be there in the 2nd.

rodrique wright and gabe watson are two guys that could be had in the 2nd round, along with claude wroten (although he doesnt really fit what we need).

funny thing is this.. ngata is "clearly" the best based on what? he stats were ok.. he is strong but not WAY stronger than the other two guys i like, wright and watson, and he is faster by .10 or .20 of a second in the 40 yard dash. let me ask you this... how friggen often are DTs that are there to stop the run have to do a 40 yard dash? either they stop the RB at the line or they dont.

wright and watson have both been called out for being inconsistent, but ngata is the model of that.. have any of you actually ever seen ngata do anything? because every nationally televised game he has ever played in, he has done absolutely squat.. on top of that.. he has an injury history.. i big guy with a bad knee..

if any of you watched the senior bowl workouts, you saw gabe watson abuse some of the best guards and centers coming out this year.. he can play.. some think he has bust potential.. but i think ngata does as well..

i personally would rather see us use the 1st pick on something else and go with watson in the 2nd. but that is just me. i wont freak out if ngata is the pick, but i just am not super high on the guy.

T, I would love to get Gabe Watson in the second, but all the draft services after the senior bowl are showing him moving up to the 1st round. Somewhere around the middle to late 1st round. I really like this kid! He has all the character in the world. Yes he was a little nconsistent, but like you said so was Ngata. I saw one draft that showed us taking Ferguson at #8 then Gabe in the second! wouldn't that be GREAT!

Bmax
02-16-2006, 11:59 PM
If it was just smoking it maybe. ? But he has a good amount on him.. I know he was cleared but some thing is still not right about him.. I'll take the guy from NC ST MCcargo or Jessie m from Tenn in the later rounds...That's only if williams from nc st falls or we trade down. One concern about Tamba Hali is his size-height and 6-1.5 and only 263...I guess it didn't hurt Will smith or freeney.....

http://www.nflfans.com/x/2006/showprospect.php?key=John%20McCargo*

Bmax

kernowboy
02-17-2006, 09:55 AM
I read one of the reasons why Haloti's stats weren't so great was that often at the Ducks he was facing Double/Triple teams as the only big name guy on their D!!! Alongside Sam, who the hell would the opposition try to block first!!

Will Dick always have to be lighting a fire under Watson or Wright all the time? Would make it a wasted picked. And I'm not sure that Justice or McNeil are the answer on the left, the former 'cos he played on the Right guarding a leftie at USC (shades of Mike Williams) and McNeil because he is TOO big and may struggle with speed

Based on the Billszone analysis Daryn Colledge looks good in Round2 (he's actually 6.5 and 300lbs) - he could be our Khaliff Barnes or Nick Kaczur from last year and in a pinch we have two solid starters with upside in the trenches.

LifetimeBillsFan
02-17-2006, 09:56 AM
Here's the deal on Ngata and the other DTs in this draft:

Ngata has extremely quick feet and, as a result, consistently demanded double teams throughout his college career. The big question about him this year was whether he would regain his quickness after his knee injury and he did as the season went on. His high ranking in the draft is based on the fact that you simply don't find that many guys 340 lbs with the kind of quick feet that he has--on the pro level that can be the difference between being double-teamed or not being doubled, between making the play and almost making the play. The stats Ngata garnered in college were virtually against double-teams because, with his quickness, teams couldn't risk not doubling him. Ngata has the combination of both size and speed, whereas some of the other DTs in this draft have one or the other. I'll admit that I didn't see Ngata as much as the other top DTs in this draft, but almost everyone says that he is a guy that plays hard all of the time--which also separates him from some of the others a bit.

As for Ngata not having an outstanding bowl game: his mother died just a few days before the game (about a week). His father died not that long ago (3 years ago I think) and his mother, who he was very close to, was very ill this past year. He decided to enter this year's draft because he wanted to help support her and his family. He rejoined the team after her funeral to play in the bowl game. I can forgive him if he didn't have a great game--how well would you play if your mother had just died? Ngata's concerns for his parents and family and his actions with regard to them are part of the reason he is considered a high character guy.

Bunkley and Watson are two extremely talented DTs who both would be rated higher except for the fact that both got the reputation in college for not playing all out all the time. If you watched the Senior Bowl, the announcers kept alluding to this with regard to Watson all through the game: saying how Watson was so motivated during the practice week and game and how it was a shame that he was not as dominant in some of his college games as he appeared to be in that game, etc. I love what I saw of Watson in his bowl game and the Senior Bowl, but there were a number of games that I saw Michigan play the last couple of years where he disappeared when he should have been dominant. I didn't see that as much with Bunkley this past year, but he split time some and I didn't see him being double-teamed all of the time (now, I'll admit that maybe I missed somethings in some of his games, but I usually try to concentrate on the offensive and defensive line play). Watson can be dominant when he plays hard, but, in the games I saw, I felt that Bunkley gave a more consistent effort, but I think Bunkley is smaller than Watson.

I really liked what I saw of Wroten (I even wrote his name down as one to remember) at LSU, but, in addition to drug issue, I was shocked to see how small he is for a DT: he goes in the upper 290s. That's a little too light to be a run-stopper in the pro game. If the Bills are going to go for a DT in this draft, I would prefer that they go for a big DT who will command double-teams and clog up the middle. Sam Adams is getting up there in age and the Bills simply do not have another DT who will force their opponents to double-team him at this point. Whatever they might gain in pass-rush from a lighter DT will be more than lost in the run-game and, as we saw last year, if you can't stop the run in the NFL, it doesn't matter how good your pass rush or pass defenders are, you are not going to win.

I've been a proponent of the Bills trading down for a long time, but I don't see a realistic fit for them that would work to their benefit immediately unless Denver loves someone and is willing to swap its two 1st with the Bills--which the odds are greatly against. That being the case, if the Bills do have to take someone with the # 8 pick, I think Ngata will be the guy unless, by some chance, Mario Williams or D'Brickashaw Ferguson falls in their lap--which isn't likely. Ngata fills a need, he's a high character guy, and he has all of the qualities that you would want in a DT. So, why not him?

Some people have said that the # 8 pick is too high: but the ratings that I have seen have him ranked between # 5 and # 11 overall. The # 8 pick is not too high to take a guy who is going to fill your biggest need, who is a high character guy, and a guy who is rated as the best at his position in the draft. Would you like the Bills to take a better athlete, a bigger name, a flashier or well-known guy or haven't we all learned something from the last five years? The Bills need some big, tough, ugly, slobber-knockers to kick some butt in the trenches and Ngata looks like a guy who could fit that bill. (Yes, a pass-rusher would be nice, but the Bills have to be able to stop the run and they can't do that with the guys that they have at DT now.)

Tatonka
02-17-2006, 10:14 AM
ice.. i mentioned that wroten was not what we needed here.. i know marv wouldnt take him, but he was cleared of the charges.. regardless, he is too small.

i dont know why you guys think that watson and wright were not double teamed in college too.

it was more than just the bowl game for ngata.. i have seen 3 oregon games and never heard ngatas name mentioned at all, other than them to say "seems to be having an off night"..

he played against weaker competition and is just not a stand out guy to me. he has measurables.. and i am sure he will pull a mike mamula at the combine and make everyone drool even more, but i just dont see him as being that much better of an option over watson or wright.

Earthquake Enyart
02-17-2006, 11:21 AM
Weighing 340-pounds, Ngata has checked in under 11% body fat, an incredibly low number for a man his size. Putting his power to use, Ngata has consistently pushed up 38-to-39 repetitions on the bench and hopes to break 40 at the end of this month.

What a freaking monster!

Tatonka
02-17-2006, 11:59 AM
leif larson.

he did 41 reps.

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/players.nsf/ID/08160047

Earthquake Enyart
02-17-2006, 12:06 PM
I can't believe the 340 pounds and uner 11% body fat.

Alonso Spellman looked damn good too. :ill:

FlyingDutchman
02-17-2006, 03:44 PM
I love MArcus McNeil OT from AUburn and I think he will be available later in round 1....

Me too, you think theres a possibility of him slipping to the second round? I think we should stay at 8, get Ngata, and if Mcneil is available early in the second round to us, it would be a dream come true. I think that would make a hell of a draft for us.

mysticsoto
02-17-2006, 11:04 PM
I don't want McNeil. He doesn't have that nasty streak that you want a lineman to have. He also plays very upright/high and I think he'll lose the battle of leverage many times b'cse of that in the pros. Lastly, I believe he also has medical issues with his back and neck.

Mahdi
02-18-2006, 12:03 AM

I'm curious as to why you beleive Damione Lewis and Ryan Pickett are so good. If so wouldnt the run Defense in St-Louis rank better than 28th?

Tatonka
02-18-2006, 12:52 AM
st louis's lbs are awful.. worse than that actually.. i think one or the other could be good here in there with sam adams.. i just like what i have seen when i have paid attention.. i do not blame the awful run defense on them solely.. they didnt play at the same time normally.. kennedy is the other starting tackle..

it is just like saying sam adams sucks just because we were 31st in the run.. it is just not true.. sam adams is still an excellent DT.. i dont care what the run defense ranked last year.

i also read alot on what st louis fans think.. they are pretty much sick of lewis, like we are w/ mike williams.. he is inconsistent.. he has played dominant at times, like his first round selection would warrant.. but has been invisible other times.. i am willing to give him a chance here and see if a change of scenery helps.. just like i am sure mike williams will go somewhere and do well.

pickett played alot more consistent and he is actually the guy that most st louis fans feel is on the verge of breaking out into a great dt.

again.. i dont think either would break anyones bank.. so i would love to take a shot. pickett is the safer pick.. lewis has more upside and would be cheaper.

TigerJ
02-18-2006, 10:09 PM
I would not mind at all if Buffalo drafted Ngata. If he's still available at #8 and guys like Mario Williams or D'Brick Ferguson are not, then I think the Bills will probably pick him. However, I don't thnk the Bills should trade up to pick Ngata or anyone else. If those guys are all gone, then I think Buffalo should try to trade down. There is some talk that Atlanta at 15 might be a willing trading partner. There would be several OT's and DTs who would not be too much of a reach at #15.

I have read that in the type of defense Buffalo is gearing up to run with Perry Fewell as DC (a Chicago Bears/Tampa style cover 2) quickness and the ability to penetrate are more important than size and the ability to hold up against the run. Ngata should be able to do both, but his size may not be as important as it might be in a 3-4 or the 46 defense Jerry Gray was allegedly trying to run. Thus a guy like Bunkley or Dvoracek (who should be around in round 3) might fill the bill very nicely for Buffalo at DT.