PDA

View Full Version : Gates Would Be A Beast At FB.

gr8slayer
02-16-2006, 11:58 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=122605

Check out his bench, squat and 40.

kgun12
02-17-2006, 12:08 AM
I liked what I saw of him in the preseason at RB.

ParanoidAndroid
02-17-2006, 12:27 AM
I was severely disappointed they didn't get him some regular season reps. He has the potential to be a very good receiving fullback and a solid straight ahead runner. However, leaving him inactive did spare him from wear and tear which could have been helpful for his knee injury he suffered in college.
I'm looking forward to seeing him get a few more chances with Fairchild as our OC.

Tinboy
02-17-2006, 12:42 AM
Gates could turn out to be a very good find indeed, looking for to see him at training camp.

SABURZFAN
02-17-2006, 02:42 AM
http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=122605

Check out his bench, squat and 40.

i'd rather check his production.i don't see anything so the jury is still out on him. :str8face:

LifetimeBillsFan
02-17-2006, 05:08 AM
I was severely disappointed they didn't get him some regular season reps. He has the potential to be a very good receiving fullback and a solid straight ahead runner. However, leaving him inactive did spare him from wear and tear which could have been helpful for his knee injury he suffered in college.
I'm looking forward to seeing him get a few more chances with Fairchild as our OC.

I was also disappointed that they did not give him some regular season reps as well.

I liked the guy in college and what I saw of him in preseason. I know he has a lot to prove, but there's no way for him to prove anything if he doesn't get the reps needed to show what he can do. I think that the previous regime wanted to keep Joe Burns active for his work on special teams and figured that Burns could back up at both RB and FB, so there was no need to sacrifice what Burns was giving them on special teams to give Gates a chance to play. I think with a new regime that doesn't have to worry about getting fired, everyone will get a much fairer shot to show what they can do. Gates will have to be ready to make an impression on them starting with the first mini-camp.

vicmantak
02-17-2006, 06:44 AM
If Daimon Shelton had a terrible year it really makes sense that Gates had a very stong chance to prove himself.
Sorry but something tells me that we are wasting time with Gates.

Spiderweb
02-17-2006, 07:19 AM
If Daimon Shelton had a terrible year it really makes sense that Gates had a very stong chance to prove himself.
Sorry but something tells me that we are wasting time with Gates.

Shelton wasn't exactly a shining beacon in 2005, along with our entire team, yet Gates didn't get any plays.

My gut tells me that talent may be part of that reason, but maybe it was another case of TD (thru MM) of doing everything he thought possible to pull out a few more wins, at the sake of player development, to save his skinny little neck. Thankfully, he's now gone.

The last 3-4 games last year, there should have been a number of players getting some live action. Gates was one....

gr8slayer
02-17-2006, 07:31 AM
i'd rather check his production.i don't see anything so the jury is still out on him. :str8face:
He is in the same boat with JP. Its kind of hard to prove yourself if your on the bench

THATHURMANATOR
02-17-2006, 07:33 AM
But he is a halfback....

We can't just assume because he is big and fast that he has what it takes to be a blocker.

gr8slayer
02-17-2006, 07:34 AM
But he is a halfback....

We can't just assume because he is big and fast that he has what it takes to be a blocker.
True, but thankfully blocking is easily learned.

ICE74129
02-17-2006, 07:37 AM
Since it is open competition (yeah right) then let gates challenge Willis for the starters job. Equal reps with the first string in camp and preseason. I say gates beats Willis.

I think this situation right here will show the QB 'competition' is pure bull SH@!. Marv said 'If we had a guy that could beat out Jim Kelly or Thruman thomas, we would have started them'. Well I think Gates could beat out Willis. I want to see equal snaps for them.

vicmantak
02-17-2006, 07:38 AM
My gut tells me that talent may be part of that reason, but maybe it was another case of TD (thru MM) of doing everything he thought possible to pull out a few more wins, at the sake of player development, to save his skinny little neck. Thankfully, he's now gone.

The last 3-4 games last year, there should have been a number of players getting some live action. Gates was one....
Yes, thankfully, TD and MM are gone. I repeatedly said that the last 3 games were a very good chance to start clearing any question marks we are living now (i.e. Sam Wyche as OC, Gates as FB, Preston as C, Wilson as 4th WR) but always focusing and looking to win games.

THATHURMANATOR
02-17-2006, 07:46 AM
It isn't being easy fullbacks have a different mind set. They sacrifice their body for little to no fame or reward. Not saying he couldn't do it but that it shouldn't be assumed that he could though.

gr8slayer
02-17-2006, 07:47 AM
It isn't being easy fullbacks have a different mind set. They sacrifice their body for little to no fame or reward. Not saying he couldn't do it but that it shouldn't be assumed that he could though.
I would have to assume he could. He is after all a "professional."

gr8slayer
02-17-2006, 07:48 AM
Since it is open competition (yeah right) then let gates challenge Willis for the starters job. Equal reps with the first string in camp and preseason. I say gates beats Willis.

I think this situation right here will show the QB 'competition' is pure bull SH@!. Marv said 'If we had a guy that could beat out Jim Kelly or Thruman thomas, we would have started them'. Well I think Gates could beat out Willis. I want to see equal snaps for them.
No no no no no. You dont understand. Open competition only goes for JP Losman. No one else. He is the only one on the team that should be worried about his job because it is his fault and no one elses that we were so bad last season. A young QB doesnt need help from an RB or an OL or anything of the sort. Get it right ICE.

THATHURMANATOR
02-17-2006, 07:49 AM
I have never met the guy so I couldn't say. Maybe they tried him at it last year and he didn't have it. I would assume he could too.

gr8slayer
02-17-2006, 07:50 AM
I mean, look at Roethlisberger. Does he have an OL? Does he he have a running game? Hell no.

THATHURMANATOR
02-17-2006, 07:53 AM
You are joking right Gr8slayer?

gr8slayer
02-17-2006, 07:54 AM
You are joking right Gr8slayer?
Sarcasm at its finest. ICE randomly brought up Losman. I was simply making the point that young QB's need help. Losman didnt get help so he sucked. You think Ben would be a SB champ if he were with the Bills? Or the Browns?

THATHURMANATOR
02-17-2006, 07:55 AM
Thank god!

gr8slayer
02-17-2006, 07:55 AM
Thank god!
lol, now you can sleep better.

SABURZFAN
02-17-2006, 08:07 AM
He is in the same boat with JP. Its kind of hard to prove yourself if your on the bench

i'm not buying it.it's not like we have a stud for a FB now.like i said before,the jury is still out on him.

ChristopherWalken
02-17-2006, 09:01 AM
Wasn't Gates inactive most of the regular season do to an injury he sustained in the preseason?

mysticsoto
02-17-2006, 09:19 AM

Really? Then why hasn't Willis learned how to yet???

ParanoidAndroid
02-17-2006, 01:13 PM
But he is a halfback....

Like I said...I think he has the potential. No assumptions made.

TigerJ
02-17-2006, 10:33 PM
I still see Gates as more of a reserve running back. Besides his size, he has enough speed to run outside. I'd rather see him get the carries rather than Schaud Williams or Joe Burns. Goldsberry is the guy I see as the future FB. FBs just don't get the carries any more. I think Gates, even if he is or can become a serviceable blocker, would largely be wasted at FB.

gr8slayer
02-18-2006, 04:35 AM
Really? Then why hasn't Willis learned how to yet???
Because he is an uneducated moron who thinks "me first"

John Doe
02-18-2006, 10:24 AM
I still see Gates as more of a reserve running back. Besides his size, he has enough speed to run outside. I'd rather see him get the carries rather than Schaud Williams or Joe Burns. Goldsberry is the guy I see as the future FB. FBs just don't get the carries any more. I think Gates, even if he is or can become a serviceable blocker, would largely be wasted at FB.

Agreed. Jon Goldsberry is a much better candidate for the Bills "fullback of the future." He has the mentality for blocking and for special teams.