Clear All
  • gr8slayer
    • Feb 2005

Gates Would Be A Beast At FB.

Check out his bench, squat and 40.
  • kgun12
    • Jul 2002

Re: Gates Would Be A Beast At FB.

I liked what I saw of him in the preseason at RB.
    Retired Air Traffic Controller
    USAF VETERAN
    DAV

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
      My battery is low and it's getting dark.
      • Apr 2004

I was severely disappointed they didn't get him some regular season reps. He has the potential to be a very good receiving fullback and a solid straight ahead runner. However, leaving him inactive did spare him from wear and tear which could have been helpful for his knee injury he suffered in college.
      I'm looking forward to seeing him get a few more chances with Fairchild as our OC.

Comment

• Tinboy
        • Aug 2004

Gates could turn out to be a very good find indeed, looking for to see him at training camp.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
          short bus extraordinaire
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by gr8slayer

i'd rather check his production.i don't see anything so the jury is still out on him.
          Originally posted by yordad
          Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by andyxc71
            I was severely disappointed they didn't get him some regular season reps. He has the potential to be a very good receiving fullback and a solid straight ahead runner. However, leaving him inactive did spare him from wear and tear which could have been helpful for his knee injury he suffered in college.
            I'm looking forward to seeing him get a few more chances with Fairchild as our OC.
            I was also disappointed that they did not give him some regular season reps as well.

I liked the guy in college and what I saw of him in preseason. I know he has a lot to prove, but there's no way for him to prove anything if he doesn't get the reps needed to show what he can do. I think that the previous regime wanted to keep Joe Burns active for his work on special teams and figured that Burns could back up at both RB and FB, so there was no need to sacrifice what Burns was giving them on special teams to give Gates a chance to play. I think with a new regime that doesn't have to worry about getting fired, everyone will get a much fairer shot to show what they can do. Gates will have to be ready to make an impression on them starting with the first mini-camp.
            Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• vicmantak
              • Jun 2005

If Daimon Shelton had a terrible year it really makes sense that Gates had a very stong chance to prove himself.
              Sorry but something tells me that we are wasting time with Gates.

"Defeat is simply a signal to press onward"
              - Helen Keller

"What we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down"

- Mary Pickford

Comment

• Spiderweb
                ....formerly OhBF
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by vicmantak
                If Daimon Shelton had a terrible year it really makes sense that Gates had a very stong chance to prove himself.
                Sorry but something tells me that we are wasting time with Gates.
                Shelton wasn't exactly a shining beacon in 2005, along with our entire team, yet Gates didn't get any plays.

My gut tells me that talent may be part of that reason, but maybe it was another case of TD (thru MM) of doing everything he thought possible to pull out a few more wins, at the sake of player development, to save his skinny little neck. Thankfully, he's now gone.

The last 3-4 games last year, there should have been a number of players getting some live action. Gates was one....
                Spiderweb

Need a Hero? Try looking within your
                own family. You might be surprised.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by SABURZFAN
                  i'd rather check his production.i don't see anything so the jury is still out on him.
                  He is in the same boat with JP. Its kind of hard to prove yourself if your on the bench

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by andyxc71
                    But he is a halfback....

We can't just assume because he is big and fast that he has what it takes to be a blocker.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
                      But he is a halfback....

We can't just assume because he is big and fast that he has what it takes to be a blocker.
                      True, but thankfully blocking is easily learned.

Comment

• ICE74129
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Feb 2005

Since it is open competition (yeah right) then let gates challenge Willis for the starters job. Equal reps with the first string in camp and preseason. I say gates beats Willis.

I think this situation right here will show the QB 'competition' is pure bull SH@!. Marv said 'If we had a guy that could beat out Jim Kelly or Thruman thomas, we would have started them'. Well I think Gates could beat out Willis. I want to see equal snaps for them.

Comment

• vicmantak
                          • Jun 2005

Originally posted by OhBF
                          My gut tells me that talent may be part of that reason, but maybe it was another case of TD (thru MM) of doing everything he thought possible to pull out a few more wins, at the sake of player development, to save his skinny little neck. Thankfully, he's now gone.

The last 3-4 games last year, there should have been a number of players getting some live action. Gates was one....
                          Yes, thankfully, TD and MM are gone. I repeatedly said that the last 3 games were a very good chance to start clearing any question marks we are living now (i.e. Sam Wyche as OC, Gates as FB, Preston as C, Wilson as 4th WR) but always focusing and looking to win games.

"Defeat is simply a signal to press onward"
                          - Helen Keller

"What we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down"

- Mary Pickford

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by gr8slayer
                            True, but thankfully blocking is easily learned.
                            It isn't being easy fullbacks have a different mind set. They sacrifice their body for little to no fame or reward. Not saying he couldn't do it but that it shouldn't be assumed that he could though.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
                              It isn't being easy fullbacks have a different mind set. They sacrifice their body for little to no fame or reward. Not saying he couldn't do it but that it shouldn't be assumed that he could though.
                              I would have to assume he could. He is after all a "professional."

Comment

Working...
                              X